Author Topic: raw meats  (Read 13294 times)

Offline gc

• Boar Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: raw meats
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2012, 07:52:44 am »
The fat you had gc was 100% grass fed, susie doesn't buy anything less as far as I know.

I know Susie buys grass-fed, though I was a little jealous when she said YOU got the organs... ;P

It's not always yellow; I've never seen it yellow except in pictures on the web. It is also true that many butchers don't know the real differences in the meat... hell, I can NAME one right now! I went to high school with him. They cut, and that's all many know. By no means is that intended to be a blanket statement on all (or even a majority of) butchers. Most of them do not, however, carry grass-fed and/or grass-finished, even those that know the difference. They're a business and expensive meat will sit in the case longer.

But finishing does matter. There are also farmers who claim to sell grass-fed but finish on grain for the last 6-8 months before slaughter. This beef is equivalent to grain-fed in terms of nutritional value. There are also farmers that claim that all cattle are grass-fed if they've ever eaten a green thing in their lives. I wish that weren't true but I've seen it personally.
insert signature here

CitrusHigh

« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2012, 08:32:49 am »
Yep, know your farmer!

Yeah we set up to buy organs shortly before I gave you her phone number, before I knew you were looking.

But maybe we can go in on some group orders at clancey's or something down the road. They should give a price break for larger quantity. And Linden hills will give us a steep discount if we order 50 lbs or more, at $2/lb (as an example) that's just $100 right there, doesn't get much cheaper than that for pastured fat.

Offline gc

• Boar Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2012, 01:12:25 am »
Sounds like a plan; I'm into it. Not sure when I'll be prepared, but we'll do it.
insert signature here

Offline Chris

• Warrior
  • Each journey starts with a step
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2012, 01:04:44 pm »
tests, keep it simple. Don't over analyze this diet. Stick to Grass-fed meats, beef, lamb, wild game, ect. Wild fish: Wild Salmon, Tuna, and my favorite Black Cod (very fatty, so rich, it has a buttery taste to it). Grass-fed organ meats, and fats. Pasture based chicken/duck eggs, when you can find them. I'm not sure Vital Farms is 100% natural. I read/heard somewhere that they do use grains (soy and corn) as a way to substitute more protein in their diet. But, there's much worse choices out there than VF's. Don't be afraid of fat's, they should make up a good percentage of your diet. Don't over think it, if you have questions regarding a particular food or item, than just ask the forum. That's what I do, there's a wealth of information out there. Cruise the site more.

Offline joej627

• Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Optimized Individuals
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2012, 06:31:00 pm »
^ Agreed.  The fish is something I find really good and an easy place to start if you get overwhelmed with all the red meat.  Salmon, other sashimis.  Check out a local sushi restaurant.  Also, use avocados, olives, etc.  I think you just need to find where your body likes its fat from.  For me, Mine favors maybe like 2/3 plant fats in the hot summer and 2/3 animal fats in the cold winter.  So yea, listen to your body, don't fall into a dogma or what anybody else is eating.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk