Poll

How often do you drink raw milk?

Daily - and a lot (more than a glass per day)
6 (19.4%)
Daily - but only a little (a glass or less)
3 (9.7%)
A couple of times per week
1 (3.2%)
A couple of times per month
4 (12.9%)
Never
17 (54.8%)

Total Members Voted: 29

Author Topic: Your experience with raw dairy?  (Read 16619 times)

Offline invisible

• Elder
    • View Profile
Re: Your experience with raw dairy?
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2009, 11:37:28 am »
All the palaeo evidence shows an average lifespan of c.35 years for men and 30 years for women in palaeo times

Does anyone have any actual evidence to this common claim? I recall we debunked using the bone remains as evidence of dying early. The bones don't show they lived to 30, rather they died of old age with bones that looked like those of a modern 30 year old. So anything else?

Offline Hannibal

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2009, 04:51:43 pm »
I ditched all dairy, except from good quality raw butter, which I consume from time to time (esp. now, in the summer).
I don't think that human needs that kind of food, as no other animal eats it. Only mother milk during breastfeeding period is good.
Do you blame vultures for the carcass they eat?
Livin' off the raw grass fat of the land

Offline MrBBQ

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2009, 05:56:36 pm »
Doesn't all dairy contain these fiercely allergenic caseins (amongst other things), that break down into even weirder peptides (in some cases) in the human GI tract?

I suppose I would endorse homemade ghee from grass-fed butter if it weren't for the potential for oxysterols and the like.

I make my own ghee from grass-fed butter, which I use sparingly on a daily basis. If I could get unpasteurised biodynamic goat butter/cream, I might not bother with ghee. The only reason I make ghee is because I only (currently) have access to grass-fed cow's butter, which I find to be very allergenic in it's raw form.

I (and my parents/sibling) love to have certain things with yoghurt (I love the taste from bulgarian yoghurt strains), so I make my own home made unpasteurised goat's yoghurt. Originally, I bought the "bulgarian yoghurt" starter from Natren, cooked up some raw goat's milk to ~55°C (yes, sterilised it, so the milk was not containing "rival" cultures), cooled the milk to ~40°C, introduced a teaspoon of the culture (can't remember the right word for that now - begins "in...") and let it culture over 24 hours. I then poured this derived starter into an ice cube tray and placed in the freezer. I doubt that the original starter was from an unpasteurised product (yoghurt cultures are eventually/gradually overtaken by the abundance of native cultures), so I have no bones (haha, literally!) about making my derived starter in this manner.

I then introduce one ice cube of derived starter into my raw, biodynamic goat's milk and let both sit in the yoghurt maker for 8-12 hours, before setting for a day in the fridge (I'll often sieve the clumps out to make a kind of "yochee").

I usually consume 2-4 tablespoons (if anything) per day of my bi-weekly yoghurt batch, but I realise that it's not optimal, even in these bitesized quantities (just enjoy the taste/texture).

I recommend making a derived culture from the Natren starter for anyone who loves yoghurt - it's the best kind! (haha, I don't work for them, but it's the only source for this Bulgarian strain, unless you'd like me to send you some of my derived culture for the cost of postage - I'm in the UK!).

Enjoy!

MrBBQ
When hungry eat, when tired sleep - this is the essence of Zen...

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2009, 10:14:35 pm »
(can't remember the right word for that now - begins "in...")

The word is inoculated I believe. I like yogurt and cream too, not so much butter. Probably because there's no sugars in butter, or only trace amounts, so it doesn't have as much flavor. In significant amounts that stuff upsets my stomach (bloating and general uneasiness of the stomach) and sometimes even makes me feel dizzy.

Offline Hannibal

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2009, 11:52:24 pm »
Probably because there's no sugars in butter, or only trace amounts, so it doesn't have as much flavor.
If it is real grass-fed spring or summer raw butter is has so much this nice flavor - in Poland I've got access to that kind of butter (it comes from one of the most pristine regions in Europe)  :)
Do you blame vultures for the carcass they eat?
Livin' off the raw grass fat of the land

Offline SuperInfinity

• Deer Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2009, 07:23:58 am »
I ditched all dairy, except from good quality raw butter, which I consume from time to time (esp. now, in the summer).
I don't think that human needs that kind of food, as no other animal eats it. Only mother milk during breastfeeding period is good.

Yes but I think most of us are past that period at this stage.

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2009, 10:01:40 am »
If it is real grass-fed spring or summer raw butter is has so much this nice flavor - in Poland I've got access to that kind of butter (it comes from one of the most pristine regions in Europe)  :)

I like the taste of butter with things, but not alone. Maybe Polish butter would change my mind, who knows.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk