Author Topic: danger of raw liver?  (Read 5558 times)

Offline radioplastic

• Forager
    • View Profile
danger of raw liver?
« on: August 08, 2012, 03:33:54 am »
how do you protect yourself from viruses in raw meat? example this link

http://ajw.asahi.com/article/views/editorial/AJ201202020029

An advisory council of the Ministry of Health, Labor and Welfare is working on measures to prevent food poisoning caused by raw beef liver, or liver sashimi, which is contaminated with pathogenic bacteria.

The panel started the work in response to a series of food poisoning cases connected to a "yakiniku" barbecue restaurant chain in spring last year.

Some 180 people became ill after eating "yukhoe"—a Korean dish made of chopped raw beef and seasoned with spices—which was served at the restaurant chain. Five people died.

Offline ys

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: danger of raw liver?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2012, 05:04:05 am »
they are not talking about viruses.  it is about bacteria.  there is no bacteria in the liver unless the butcher+packaging contaminated it.

Offline radioplastic

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2012, 06:10:14 am »
they are not talking about viruses.  it is about bacteria.  there is no bacteria in the liver unless the butcher+packaging contaminated it.
that's what I mean, I know there is no virus or bad bacteria in good liver, but how do you know if the liver you buy is good or not, there's no way to know.

Offline Ferocious

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2012, 06:18:46 am »
that's what I mean, I know there is no virus or bad bacteria in good liver, but how do you know if the liver you buy is good or not, there's no way to know.
You might get "sick", maybe some diarrhea. No big deal. I think the people that died (0.03%) in this situation had extremely weak "immune systems" (old/other diseases) and/or their conditions were made worse by medications (antibiotics, etc.). I really can't picture myself dying from meat lol

Offline Chris

• Warrior
  • Each journey starts with a step
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2012, 07:27:30 am »
how do you protect yourself from viruses in raw meat? example this link

http://ajw.asahi.com/article/views/editorial/AJ201202020029

There are so many variables in an article like this. Was it grass fed beef liver? Grain fed? What country did this even take place in (different countries have different regulations), what type of farm did it come from, how did these livers/meats pass inspection, was there even an inspection? I could go on and on. You asked us how do we protect ourselves? We usually use our common sense (only grass fed meats, reliable sources, experiences with one another). Most people on this site know and trust their sources. If you think cooked food is safer and less of a risk for you. I implore you to do more research in this forum, and the internet as well.

We face risks every day in our lives. Don't let public opinion sway you from what the truth is about raw meats and it's risks. I still hear the scare tactic regarding raw dairy products to this day.

Are you worried to try raw meats? Is it ONLY liver your worried about? Are you thinking about taking steps to becoming raw paleo? Don't let your fear sway you from the RPD. Like I said, do some research, and make an education decision for yourself.

Offline ys

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2012, 11:41:46 am »
how do you know if the liver you buy is good or not

know your sources. there is no other way.  looks can be very deceiving.

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2012, 12:31:38 pm »
I buy all meat whole (not sliced, not ground). This reduces the possibility of contamination from dirty grinders and dirty surfaces. The one time in my life that I had bad food poisoning was from prepared mustard at a hot-dog stand. I have been eating raw seafoods since childhood and raw meats for over a year now. If I did get a bacterial infection, I wouldn't blame it on raw food in general, since most causes of food contamination are due to bad handling.
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

Offline svrn

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2012, 11:01:51 pm »
food poisoning aint that bad. i believe our bodies can deal with something like a bad liver, (unless its like the worst gm corn fed cow that stored all the toxins in the liver). i dont think a an organic grass fed or even just grass fed liver can hurt you too bad. iv had some food poisoning before while raw but it was obvious that my body knew exactly what to do with the offending food items.
-----------

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk