Author Topic: Nuts VS Meats  (Read 34821 times)

Offline DameonWolf

• Deer Hunter
    • View Profile
Nuts VS Meats
« on: November 23, 2008, 05:56:08 am »
So as a raw vegan I've always had a painful time digesting nuts. My concern is that I'll have the same trouble with raw meat, ext. Is there much of a difference fat wise between the two? Does any one else have trouble getting nuts down?

Offline boxcarguy07

• Chief
    • View Profile
Re: Nuts VS Meats
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2008, 06:08:02 am »
Before I discovered raw paleo i ate a good amount of seeds and nuts.
These gave me gas and a rumbly feeling in my stomach. (gas wasn't as bad as before I stopped eating grains though!)

With meat, there is no gas and no bad feeling in my stomach.

Offline yon yonson

• Global Moderator
  • Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2008, 08:06:47 am »
in my experience, raw meat is the only thing that gives me absolutely no stomach complaints. for my body at least, it's a very calming food for my stomach. even funky sounding meat digests extremely well. i've heard organs digest even better than muscle meats. also, eggs do not digest well for me (lots of gas). but yes, try some fish and that should do fine

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2008, 04:11:22 am »
Well most nuts are contain mainly polysaturated and monosaturated fats. Meats are mainly saturated fat. However, some nuts like coconut are mainly saturated fat, but coconut fat becomes liquid easily. Although, it becomes solid easily. oils such as sunflower oil will remain liquid even in a refrigerator.

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2008, 07:39:39 am »
Nuts and meats are very different in terms of digestion. I've found meats to be the easiest to food to digest up there with fruit, nuts are probably the hardest to digest food even including cooked foods. Also like Sully said the fatty acid profile is entirely different. I believe you could probably digest meat better not chewing than you could digest nuts chewing one hundred times per mouthful.

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2008, 10:53:36 pm »
Another thing to keep in mind is that nuts contain little water if any. Raw meats contain much more water. The more water, usually the quicker the digestion.

Eating nuts is probably similar to eating dried meat, but the dried meat probably digest quicker than the nuts, especially with no fat.
Also, nuts and dried meat contain more calories per pound than fresh meat. Simply because they contain less water, water adds to weight. Same thing with dried fruit vs fresh fruit.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2008, 05:29:50 am »
Nuts contain antinutrients. Soak them in water for  24 hours, beforehand.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2008, 10:42:17 pm »
Nuts contain antinutrients. Soak them in water for  24 hours, beforehand.
I know that some say paleo people would've ate mostly sprouted or soaked nuts and seeds, but I find black walnuts that aren't sprouted or soaked at all. Their on the floor dry by themselves. I'm sure paleo people would've eaten many dry nuts. Whether soaking lowers toxin levels or not, doesn't it lower nutrition too?

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2008, 03:57:12 am »
I know that some say paleo people would've ate mostly sprouted or soaked nuts and seeds, but I find black walnuts that aren't sprouted or soaked at all. Their on the floor dry by themselves. I'm sure paleo people would've eaten many dry nuts. Whether soaking lowers toxin levels or not, doesn't it lower nutrition too?

I know in the RAF camp they soak nuts twenty-four hours, but many years ago I was a Living Food Lifestyle'ist.  I don't know about black walnuts, but we soaked almonds and hazelnuts about twelve hours, until they were peelable while still raw and alive.  We peeled them before using them in recipes.  This helps in the culturing process.  It also improves the flavor.  We soaked seeds less hours, and didn't peel their inner skins.  If digestion is better, then we obviously get more nutrients.  Before I did living foods I couldn't gain weight no matter how I tried.  With living foods I gained a good five to ten lbs the first week and kept it on almost a year after I quit eating that way.
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline yon yonson

• Global Moderator
  • Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2008, 11:21:47 am »
i had a pretty intense craving for nuts today which is weird because i havent eaten them in about 3 months and havent craved them before. anyways, i bought some walnuts and ate a handful of them without soaking beforehand. no problems digestion-wise which was unexpected. satisfied my craving though. i might start eating them every once in a while now.

Offline yuli

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2010, 09:17:09 am »
i had a pretty intense craving for nuts today which is weird because i havent eaten them in about 3 months and havent craved them before. anyways, i bought some walnuts and ate a handful of them without soaking beforehand. no problems digestion-wise which was unexpected. satisfied my craving though. i might start eating them every once in a while now.

This past few days I have been experimenting with eating quite a bit of macadamia nuts and pistachios with my raw red meats.
Not at the same time as the meats but either some time before or after...
So far no problems I feel great, why do people say nuts are so bad, I have had no problems digesting them whatsoever (it may just be me though).

I find that on days where I don't have fresh bone marrow or any fatty meat, just lean meat, supplementing with fatty nuts really helps me. Or on days where I just don't feel like eating plain fat... I feel more full and sated then just with the meat and have less issues with nuts then the fruits. If I eat fruits too close to meat time I get big problems, nuts no problems everything fine and dandy.

According to the info I have read this shouldn't make sense because nuts are soo full of antinutrients and are soo hard to digest, I am not feeling this at all, maybe I have lots of acid in my stomach for digesting the nuts, weird...

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2010, 09:34:45 am »
I don't have any problems digesting nuts as long as I don't mix them with anything or eat too much (mixing them with honey or fruit gives me lots of problems, runny stools and bloating). If you eat them with meat, eat the lean meat first then the nuts after, for better digestion. I ate them close together, but I ate the nuts after the lean meat.

Back then I simply did this because the nut's flavor was more enjoyable to me than the lean raw beef I was eating, so I wanted to eat the nuts last. But it worked out for digestion too which I was unaware of at the time.

Offline irenekrey

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2010, 03:39:30 pm »
Lean pork and beef meats are harder to digest in my experience so I would rather have as many fishes as I can as it's lighter plus combined with vegetables. With nuts, not to mention farting (in a good way) too much. :D

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2010, 03:46:11 pm »
Lean pork and beef meats are harder to digest in my experience so I would rather have as many fishes as I can as it's lighter plus combined with vegetables. With nuts, not to mention farting (in a good way) too much. :D

Are you eating COOKED pork and COOKED beef?
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline needs_and_wants

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2010, 04:15:06 pm »
I seem to do fine on nuts too, i eat about 100gs every morning, maybe its because I eat alot my body has adapted to be better at digesting them, associated gut bacteria etc. I have noticed though a huge difference between how my body reacts to organic nuts vs non-organic. Non organic give me stomach upsets, and generally make me feel slightly off kilter. I usually heat brazil nuts in the oven for about 5 minutes to kill any fungus that grows on them. Cashews have this problem too, they're the worst offenders, you can actually see the red colonies of fungus growing on them in alot of cases.
feel, beyond the limitations of the mind, through the eyes of the soul

Offline Hannibal

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2010, 01:08:29 am »
Nuts do not satiate me. I'm still hungry after eating them.
After the same amount of calories from meat and fat I'm not hungry and I've got much more energy.
Do you blame vultures for the carcass they eat?
Livin' off the raw grass fat of the land

Offline Hannibal

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2010, 01:10:49 am »
Another thing to keep in mind is that nuts contain little water if any. Raw meats contain much more water. The more water, usually the quicker the digestion.
If it was true the digestion of meat with water would be quicker. But it's definitely longer.

Offline yuli

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2010, 01:27:44 am »
If it was true the digestion of meat with water would be quicker. But it's definitely longer.

I find I digest raw meat blazingly fast  :'( , besides fruit there is nothing faster I digest, and nuts digest slower....
on another note, soaking the nuts does make them have more water, and then they digest easier...

Raw meat is of course SUPERIOR to nuts, but for a fast digester like me, with very high metabolism, I usually have a huge appetite and can eat like someone twice my size...nuts actually help because they take longer to digest and I have something that can keep my digestive system busy for a while. Sometimes when I eat a bunch of raw meat but digest it too fast, eating a handful of fatty nuts feels good in my stomach. Maybe my digestion will change the longer I eat raw meat.

Offline Hannibal

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2010, 01:30:12 am »
I find I digest raw meat blazingly fast 
You mean - without drinking or adding to it any water?

Offline yuli

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2010, 01:59:30 am »
You mean - without drinking or adding to it any water?

Yup, besides eating fruit on an empty stomach I find raw meat easiest to digest! I can keep eating it and eating it, but adding more fat helps then I get fuller. Nuts are more complex to me so sometimes they give me the exact fullness effect/feel that I was looking for, but NOT if I just eat nuts as the only meal, I like to have them close to the time of eating some animal product - preferably after not before. If I eat too many nuts though I don't feel good, its only a supplement to my diet now.

Sully mentioned he digests the nuts well after the meat but not before. That is another proof that nuts are harder to digest...something thats easier to digest should be eaten first (raw meat in this case), and then then after something harder to digest (nuts in this case)....

Offline Hannibal

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2010, 02:10:10 am »
So it's not true that the more water the quicker the digestion.
Adding water to meat or fat makes them longer to digest.

Offline yuli

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2010, 02:34:36 am »
So it's not true that the more water the quicker the digestion.
Adding water to meat or fat makes them longer to digest.

Adding water should be done if you need it, like if you are thirsty. I don't believe in forcing yourself drink or not drink, just drink when you want, follow you instinct.
With raw meats I am much less thirsty (even lean meats), probably cause they give me more water ...hmmmm...
Adding water to fat is difficult cause they don't mix with each other, probably thats why.
I have no problem eating fruits and drinking water probably cause the fruits don't have fat.  -\

Offline Hannibal

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2010, 02:41:20 am »
Adding water should be done if you need it, like if you are thirsty. I don't believe in forcing yourself drink or not drink, just drink when you want, follow you instinct.
Even when I'm thirsty I do not drink water with the meat - the digestion would be really bad.
Diluting HCL in the stomach is a really a bad idea, for various reasons.

Offline yuli

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2010, 02:58:06 am »
Even when I'm thirsty I do not drink water with the meat - the digestion would be really bad.
Diluting HCL in the stomach is a really a bad idea, for various reasons.

Of course...When I am thirsty I am not eating meat, I am drinking water lol
When I am eating my raw meat it because I want my MEAT and not water, one is one the other is the other  :P

Even when I ate SAD diet I didn't like to drink while eating, I waited after not only to wait to digest but also to let the flavor of food sit in my mouth.

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2010, 05:02:44 am »
If I’m thirsty I always drink water before to eat anything because, as Hannibal pointed out water dilute the digestive juices and impairs digestion.

Also, I never tried to eat nuts before the meat: I eat meat first (of course, after having drunk water if thirsty). I never had any problem in digesting either meat or nuts and sometimes I eat nuts after having eaten meat if I’m still hungry for fat / proteins. But I never mix different nuts in a meal, only one kind at a time, and of course I don’t override the instinctive stop. I tried once almonds after avocados, and then it was a hell!
 -d
Something amazing happened to me:  I had never been very found of walnuts, preferring macadamias, pecans, almonds or hazelnuts. But since last winter I got crazy about walnuts! They became delicious! Did walnuts change or did I change?
 ;)
Cause and effect are distant in time and space in complex systems, while at the same time there’s a tendency to look for causes near the events sought to be explained. Time delays in feedback in systems result in the condition where the long-run response of a system to an action is often different from its short-run response. — Ronald J. Ziegler

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk