Author Topic: Nuts VS Meats  (Read 34835 times)

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Re: Nuts VS Meats
« Reply #50 on: December 01, 2010, 11:45:39 pm »
I suffered from very nasty cravings for highly processed stuff such as Pringle's crisps and black magic chocolates etc. when I was eating a SAD diet all those years ago.  I had similiar cravings when I consumed raw dairy. By contrast, years later on a rawpaleodiet, I never had any such cravings for raw grassfed meats, only a mild, instinctive positive feeling after eating them. So,  I can see that there is a big difference between unhealthy, addictive cravings which are drug-like in effect,  and a natural instinct.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 02, 2010, 01:35:41 am »
I don't believe that animals behavior is comparable.They eat what they can find and need to be opportunistic,or they starve.

They eat what they find as long as it is palatable : generally they don’t eat poisonous mushrooms or stuff inedible for their specie. Carnivores run to hunt their prey, but herbivores don’t run to hunt other animals. Conversely, carnivores don’t eat much plants.

It’s easy to observe a cat carefully smelling what we give him to eat and choosing by the smell what is best according to his instinct.

I don’t say that we should totally disregard cravings, they can be useful: it’s an advantage to know in advance  what we will like, so that we walk in the right direction to find the food we need, for example it may tell us it’s useless to walk inland to find fruits when we crave for shellfish and not for fruits.

But our cravings are often driven by our memory, and what was delicious last time may not be anymore now since our body needs may have changed during the interval,  perhaps because we’ve perhaps filled up of some nutrients contained in the stuff we crave for. So, it’s better to always carefully check by our senses of smell and taste, just like a cat or any other mammal.

Well if I am really hungry and theres is only one thing I will just eat that one thing.
But if I am hungry and there is perhaps four different things I could eat I have to decide which one I want to eat, to help me decide I ask my brain "well what are you craving for?"...provided these "things" aren't garbage and I have been eating (or trying) the best diet I can then HOPEFULLY my brain will say "well I want that thang!" because it needs that thing over all the other things.

Yeah, but we should beware of our brain and we’d better learn from our cats or dogs: they don’t ask their brain, but their nose.  ;)

So you say "when I am hungry I just eat..", well if you are hungry and you are put two plates of raw meat from two very different animals you HAVE to pick SOMETHING! Unless you wanna eat BOTH? So then I have to wonder how the 'craving' or 'picking something' plays a part in you nutrition.

Sure. I got a lot of different foodstuffs at home and I have to choose something for my dinner. As I ate durian for lunch, I’m not hungry for sweets (I know it in advance),  so perhaps some meat and vegetables. I’ll choose by the smell between the the wild boar, moufflon, deer and badger pieces I have in my fridge – never had so much choice!  :P – but in case nothing smells good, I’ll eat perhaps some avocados instead. Then I’ll probably pick some vegetables, also choosing with my nose, trying to disconnect my brain.
 l)
« Last Edit: December 02, 2010, 01:41:40 am by Iguana »
Cause and effect are distant in time and space in complex systems, while at the same time there’s a tendency to look for causes near the events sought to be explained. Time delays in feedback in systems result in the condition where the long-run response of a system to an action is often different from its short-run response. — Ronald J. Ziegler

Offline yuli

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 02, 2010, 02:23:40 am »
....And the worst part is my little 5 years old sister eats em all day long she gets sick every end of the month and  parents feed her antibiotic like its a candy woohoo!!   :'( she is so beautiful if she gets some chronic disease or grow bad I have no idea what I am gonna do to mother...

Aaah...I have these same thoughts when I see friends, family, any people I give a shit about, taking their kids to McDonalds or giving them candy and crap etc...I try to say things but its hard to make them realise, not impossible though  ;)

Edit: my friends kid has had a lingering cold for like a month now, and they're like "gee why wont it go away"...and I'm like "geeee, maybe if you stop feeding her candy, McDonalds, milk and spraying Lysol like its cocaine then maybe it will"... l)  ....lol....now they (the adults) got the kid's cold too, what a surprise, but for them its a flu now. I slept over just recently with with my friend and her kid right beside them and I haven't got no flu, maybe its because I have an immune system. Why don't they connect the two things together.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2010, 02:28:45 am by yuli »

Offline yuli

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 02, 2010, 02:37:54 am »
Yeah, but we should beware of our brain and we’d better learn from our cats or dogs: they don’t ask their brain, but their nose.  ;)

Sure. I got a lot of different foodstuffs at home and I have to choose something for my dinner. As I ate durian for lunch, I’m not hungry for sweets (I know it in advance),  so perhaps some meat and vegetables. I’ll choose by the smell between the the wild boar, moufflon, deer and badger pieces I have in my fridge – never had so much choice!  :P – but in case nothing smells good, I’ll eat perhaps some avocados instead. Then I’ll probably pick some vegetables, also choosing with my nose, trying to disconnect my brain.
 l)

Thats true but we still need to process the smell with our brain unfortunately, perhaps its a matter of clearing the brain, sort of just meditating on the smell to know if its good instead of thinking about other things.

I wish I could ask my cats what they think, they are so choosy its incredible, and I do feed them raw (although they probably steal kibble from my moms cat and scavenge in neighbours cat's houses  :P )

They don't like raw chicken but they are ok with raw turkey. They love both grass-fed and commercial beef though. They adore deer and goat the most. One likes liver the other hates it. One likes cooked chicken treats the other hates it. One likes raw salmon and the other not really. Weirdos.

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 02, 2010, 02:59:59 am »
Thats true but we still need to process the smell with our brain unfortunately, perhaps its a matter of clearing the brain, sort of just meditating on the smell to know if its good instead of thinking about other things.

Right, exactly that! I should have used the word "mental" instead of "brain".

I wish I could ask my cats what they think, they are so choosy its incredible, and I do feed them raw (although they probably steal kibble from my moms cat and scavenge in neighbours cat's houses  :P )

Mine disappeared since Saturday, I hope he'll come back. He already once went away for 3 days, but unexpectedly came back.

So, my cravings rather led me to the avocados, but I nevertheless opened the fridge and carefully smelled at all the meat pieces. The best smelling was the badger leg. The fat was a delight this time, contrary to the first time I tested it about a week ago. I ate almost all that fat and a bit of muscle - very tasty as well but not as tender as most other animals muscles.

Cause and effect are distant in time and space in complex systems, while at the same time there’s a tendency to look for causes near the events sought to be explained. Time delays in feedback in systems result in the condition where the long-run response of a system to an action is often different from its short-run response. — Ronald J. Ziegler

Offline Predator

• Scavenger
  • Vancouver, BC
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 11, 2011, 04:38:29 pm »
I prefer meats over nuts as I find them easier on my stomach and more satisfying.  However when I do eat nuts I make sure to soak them for the day in water with a little bit of vinegar added.  Seeds (including nuts) sprout better when the soil is slightly acidic so the vinegar added to the water helps mimic this environment.

Offline Amris

• Egg Thief
  • Rising From the Ashes
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 11, 2011, 09:11:27 pm »
This is part of why I couldn't be vegan. Nuts, raw or otherwise, give me terrible, painful stomach cramps for over a day. The pain is as intense as a kidney stone (I know, I've had a couple).

I'm also allergic to soy and olives (though I can use the oil, just not eat the flesh).

Try being a raw vegan with no nuts, no soy, and no legumes (which give me cramps also, though not quite as bad). I CAN eat peanut butter--but only cooked. I can't eat lima beans, garbonzo beans, kidney beans, chickpeas (but can eat regular peas), and I can't eat uncooked carrots. Carrots, in point of fact, are one of the worst foods for me as far as putting my stomach into sheer agony.

The problem with a lot of the people who push vega/tarianism in whatever form is that they don't take into account the fact that every body isn't the same. If you can't digest half of the needed foods, you're just not going to thrive. I was miserable the entire time I was raw vegan because I was in continual pain and I was faint and dizzy. Couldn't stand up without swooning and having to wait for the blackness to pass.

With almost every kind of eating lifestyle/diet, I think there are bodies that just don't handle it well. When we as human beings start understanding this, and looking at each body as an individual, rather than thinking they're like all the same exact brand and make of car... then we may well begin to find genuine health. But it almost seems like everyone thinks that "what works for me works for everyone, PERIOD."

I somewhat envy those who can do raw vegan and thrive. But I cannot, and denying it for so long made me quite sick. I honestly wonder if my current teeth problems are a product of doing that to myself for so long. Although I know for certain that I was horrifically malnourished as a child and literally got only dog food to eat with the rare bit of ham, bacon, or other "treat" (like the dogs) sometimes. Perhaps it is related to that, but I have my suspicion that trying to force my body to accept a lifestyle that it couldn't thrive in had at least as strong an impact.

You can't fight your body. You just cannot win, because your body doesn't give in, it just gives out.

(Yes, I am aware the OP is long since gone. Just chatting, since the topic is of interest to me and has been bumped)
The thought manifests as the word; The word manifests as the deed; The deed develops into habit; And habit hardens into character; So watch the thought and its ways with care, And let it spring from love Born out of concern for all beings...

As the shadow follows the body, as we think, so we become.

The Dhammapada

Offline Techydude

• Shaman
  • The barefoot raw paleo nudist intactivist naturale
    • View Profile
    • Genital integrity through regenerative medicine
« Reply #57 on: June 17, 2011, 10:30:56 am »
I remember hearing we crave which we are allergic to. Like someone said some people with food allergies crave what they're allergic to like a peanut allergy person craving peanuts.

I theorize one side effect of food allergies is craving.

Personally I count nuts/seeds/grains/beans - as a seed. Seeds in my eyes are bird food. They make me itch horribly and the enzyme inhibitors in raw nuts/seeds even sprouted twist my stomach in nuts and would prob lead to food sensitive/food allergy reactions. I avoid them like the plague.

Offline Wolf

• Chief
  • Grawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 06, 2011, 03:37:34 am »
I tried eating raw nuts before, a couple times.  I noticed that when I ate them in small amounts, they seemed to be fine with digestion.. Although I know they are definitely harder to digest than raw meat.

but whenever I ate a lot of them, I noticed that I would get this bright, yellow-orange, very oily substance come out the other end.. and the same stuff even for different types of nuts, I think both raw brazil nuts and raw cashews did this.  Though, they were trader joe's brand, and might not have been truly raw, either, but they were labeled as raw.  But I have avoided nuts ever since that happened to me a second time.
Hi, I'm 32, around 5'4" and ~124lb, no real significant health problems other than hyperventilating when running/exercising (that my doc said was because of the smog/asthma), fatigue, and really bad acne.
I'd preferably be a carnivore/very low carb, but I have had a very hard time finding grass-fed or even organic fats, organs, and marrow. I consume raw dairy, but I do not eat much vegetables.. however, I do love fruit.
I live with my dad, so I also have to sneak any raw meat eating.

Offline Techydude

• Shaman
  • The barefoot raw paleo nudist intactivist naturale
    • View Profile
    • Genital integrity through regenerative medicine
« Reply #59 on: July 12, 2011, 03:43:47 pm »
Grains: Seed
Nuts and Seeds: Seed
Legumes: Practically Seed

I save the seeds for the birds, their digestive systems were built for it. Humans not really.

Offline klowcarb

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: July 13, 2011, 04:26:29 am »
Grains: Seed
Nuts and Seeds: Seed
Legumes: Practically Seed

I save the seeds for the birds, their digestive systems were built for it. Humans not really.

This is perfect.

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 13, 2011, 11:36:01 pm »
I honestly wonder if my current teeth problems are a product of doing that to myself for so long.

Have you ever tried mineral supplements like bone meal or Terramin clay?  Those have worked wonders for my teeth problems.  Also scallops seem to really heal my teeth, as well as vitamin D supplements.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk