Author Topic: Drinking water while exercising  (Read 7200 times)

Offline Wolf

• Chief
  • Grawr.
    • View Profile
Drinking water while exercising
« on: September 13, 2012, 07:09:16 am »
I tried googling whether it is good or bad to drink water while excersizing, but it's all pretty much yahoo-answers type stuff saying it's fine.. but then they also say it's fine to drink while eating..

So I thought I'd ask here since I trust you guys a lot more   ;D  Do you guys know if it is bad to drink water -during- exercising?   and I don't mean like doing some situps, pausing for a moment, sipping some water, then doing more situps. 
I mean like, while you're powerwalking or jogging, without breaking stride or pausing, if you drink water while your body is active at the same time?

I mean I figure in paleotimes they wouldn't have had bottles of water to carry with them to drink while exercising.. and I do not drink while eating and avoid drinking for a while after eating.  But I get thirsty more while I'm power walking somewhere and I feel like I should avoid drinking until I get to where I'm going and sit for a bit and let my body settle.. but is that necessary?  Or am I being too paranoid and it's perfectly fine if I drink while I'm still walking?
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 05:36:48 am by TylerDurden »
Hi, I'm 32, around 5'4" and ~124lb, no real significant health problems other than hyperventilating when running/exercising (that my doc said was because of the smog/asthma), fatigue, and really bad acne.
I'd preferably be a carnivore/very low carb, but I have had a very hard time finding grass-fed or even organic fats, organs, and marrow. I consume raw dairy, but I do not eat much vegetables.. however, I do love fruit.
I live with my dad, so I also have to sneak any raw meat eating.

Offline aLptHW4k4y

• Shaman
    • View Profile
Re: drinking water while excersizing
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2012, 03:37:51 pm »
You're too paranoid, it's better to drink when you're thirsty no matter what you're doing.
Especially when exercising you're losing water quickly, so you need to drink more often.

Offline Alive

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2012, 04:48:49 pm »
It's good to drink while exercising - put a little himilaya salt in the water to make it even better if you're sweating. When I used to do the odd 100 mile bike race the electrolyte products mixed into water were really great.

Offline ys

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2012, 09:37:53 pm »
just use common sense.  if i'm doing sprints i would never drink full glass.  i would do a few sips during low intensity or breaks.

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2012, 04:18:19 am »
yep what every one else said.  if you over think it and dont actually listen to your body you will continue to be confused as to how to treat your body.  drink a few sips, keep walking, if you want more, have a few more.  if you want to sit down for five minutes sit down, drink water and walk again, whatever your body asks for, dont let your brain over run the signals.  google does not beat your heart for you.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 04:25:35 am by jessica »

Offline Isthmus

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2012, 05:23:41 am »
Yeah, exactly what has been said. Obviously if you are doing something like jumping up and down then drinking 1 L of water before continuing isn't going to feel so great! But if you're really thirsty then it's for a reason. I usually drink a good amount of water when weight training, drinking small amounts over a period of time, that seems to work fine.

Offline Wolf

• Chief
  • Grawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2012, 05:19:05 am »
Well my body also tells me it doent want to excersize at all and that it wants to eat 5 lbs of chocolate and have french toast with powdered sugar and maple syrup or pancakes, and pasta coved in melted cheese and cooked and processed meat, and fast food, but I don't listen to those urges.   :P

but When I'm walking to class and don't have time to stop I just want to know if it's okay to drink water while walking without stopping because it -seems- to me that I should stop to drink.. just wanted to know if there was anyone who knew if excersizing might interefere with the body's ability to properly process the water or something..
Hi, I'm 32, around 5'4" and ~124lb, no real significant health problems other than hyperventilating when running/exercising (that my doc said was because of the smog/asthma), fatigue, and really bad acne.
I'd preferably be a carnivore/very low carb, but I have had a very hard time finding grass-fed or even organic fats, organs, and marrow. I consume raw dairy, but I do not eat much vegetables.. however, I do love fruit.

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2012, 06:12:58 am »
your body is telling you you need to eat more food and relax.

Offline Wolf

• Chief
  • Grawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2012, 06:54:36 am »
your body is telling you you need to eat more food and relax.

All I do all day long is relax, laying in bed playing games on my computer, and only really get up to eat and go to class three times a week.. i probably do need to eat more but I lost my job and grassfed meat and raw milk and organic fruit is all expensive so I can't really buy more food until I get a new job.. which is why I also don't want to try to excersize more because I need to conserve my calories until I can afford more food.  Eating cheaper food results in me breaking out so bad it takes months to try to calm it down and I've still never been able to entirely get rid of my acne.    :'(

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2012, 07:55:04 am »
oh, do you have hobbies on days you arent at school or do you work?
have you ever applied for food stamps?  have you tried gentile activities like tai chi or qigong?  sorry i assumed so much, school does not sound like much fun

also where do you live? right now is there is fruit in season in almost every state...any chances there are close organic orchards that you can help pick at for a bushel of whatever is coming off the trees?  or organic farms/markets you can volunteer at and get some kind of compensation?
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 08:02:13 am by jessica »

Offline Wolf

• Chief
  • Grawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2012, 07:32:30 am »
oh, do you have hobbies on days you arent at school or do you work?
have you ever applied for food stamps?  have you tried gentile activities like tai chi or qigong?  sorry i assumed so much, school does not sound like much fun

also where do you live? right now is there is fruit in season in almost every state...any chances there are close organic orchards that you can help pick at for a bushel of whatever is coming off the trees?  or organic farms/markets you can volunteer at and get some kind of compensation?

my hobbies are pretty much playing video games, drawing, or reading.. nothing active.  I have no idea how to do taichi or qigong.. the only orchards around here are oranges which are all fenced in and illegal to steal, and I don't even like oranges much.  or fruit for that matter, I mean i love fruit but I can not live off of it, if I eat too much fruit I start to crave fat so badly I'd probably give in to buying fast food, or at least eating some of the grain filled food my mom cooks.  I have money saved up, I just need to make it last until I can find a new job.

Offline Isthmus

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2012, 04:33:49 am »
Well my body also tells me it doent want to excersize at all and that it wants to eat 5 lbs of chocolate and have french toast with powdered sugar and maple syrup or pancakes, and pasta coved in melted cheese and cooked and processed meat, and fast food

Yes and no because I know at least I personally would feel like total shit if I ate all that, my body telling me not to eat it all again.

I can say that after the time I have been eating the way I do, I really don't have any (or very little) interest in indulging in food any more, and I am someone who definitely went through a period of having some strong emotional eating (though nothing too serious). With time, open-ness, awareness and acceptance we all have the potential to grow.

Offline Wolf

• Chief
  • Grawr.
    • View Profile
Re: Drinking water while exercising
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2012, 07:59:39 am »
Yes and no because I know at least I personally would feel like total shit if I ate all that, my body telling me not to eat it all again.

I can say that after the time I have been eating the way I do, I really don't have any (or very little) interest in indulging in food any more, and I am someone who definitely went through a period of having some strong emotional eating (though nothing too serious). With time, open-ness, awareness and acceptance we all have the potential to grow.

I don't really feel noticebly bad after eating anything bad... chocolate especially not, and I crave it badly when starting my period.  But the bad things come up less noticably as things like really bad acne, which I still can't pinpoint exactly what causes it and what wont because I still get it no matter how I eat.  That's the most noticable problem I get from eating bad food, but secondly I'll slowly start noticing other bad things such as slight diahrea/constipation, which doesn't, in my mind, directly associate with what I ate because it happens so much later than when I ate.. also some slight weird pain I get that is only noticable when something presses on my stomach area or my sides or other random places, it feels like my muscles are sore or bruised very slightly or something and I have no idea what exactly causes that pain, just that when I eat a lot of bad foods that happens.  I might get headaches but that might be caused by me forgetting to drink enough water.  My body just doesn't really give any immediate or direct problems when I eat bad food other than maybe when I'd eat too much bread and it would expand in my stomach and stretch it out or something and make it feel like there was a huge big painful rock in my stomach, which happened most when I would sometimes eat pizza from work when I still worked at dominos pizza.  But that was the absolute worst I'd eat, usually if I eat bad anymore it's still at least organic with minimal ingredients and prossessing.  But it still makes me break out.

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2012, 10:47:30 am »
i think maybe your problems are more psycho-somatic then real.  but that if they go unchecked they will definitely lead to future health problems.  do you think you are just more aware of your body because you ate "bad" foods?  do you think you might have a slight eating disorder, body or control issues?  it would be totally understandable, especially with the situation you are in with your dad and your life right now.  but if that is at all a possibility its worth getting some counselling and also figuring out a better living situation for yourself so you can feel in control of your life and make healthy decisions for yourself. 

also about craving chocolate when you are menstruating, thats definitely the best time to indulge in raw liver, or at least a good amount of red meats and green leafy veggies as well as zuchinni.  that will help provide iron, minerals and magnesium, all of which are important during your moon time
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 10:54:08 am by jessica »

Offline DanielM

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2012, 03:38:55 am »
I cannot drink during any type of exercise. I get nauseous. have vomit a couple of times.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk