Author Topic: Raw Cacao Nibs?  (Read 6901 times)

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
Raw Cacao Nibs?
« on: November 21, 2012, 11:16:09 pm »
My wife is lately into raw cacao nibs.
The pack says it is a Mayan super food ... food for the gods.

The children, my wife and my sister in laws say the effect on them is it makes them hyper, awake, and active... so they don't eat any at night.  But it's good to eat raw cacao nibs before a work out.

Please share your experience, feedback with raw cacao nibs... or is it just raw cacao?
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline bookittyrun

• Bear Hunter
  • smart enough to play dumb...
    • View Profile
Re: Raw Cacao Nibs?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2012, 04:50:03 pm »
i've seen these on the market shelf...

i may give them a try...

i'll let you know.
"it'll be just like a sleepover, only we'll be sweaty and covered with grease!"  spongebob squarepants

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2012, 01:48:08 am »
i find them overstimulating and then draining like coffee.  i have known many raw vegans who use them for energy and celebration, but usually become dependent on them.  they seems to build up to a dependency feeling for me too.  they are high in iron, magnesium and copper.  the only time i use them now is ceremonially with psilocybin, i would not consider them a food

Offline bookittyrun

• Bear Hunter
  • smart enough to play dumb...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2012, 09:39:03 am »
to update...  i picked up a bag of "certified kosher, organic, vegan, and raw" cacao bits today.  i think jessica is right on the button with this stuff.  my impression?  ouch, my teeth!  super sweet, and i only had a very small amount in my granola (less than 1 teaspoon.  a serving size would have nearly filled 1/3 the cup).  i can understand if your kids liked this, it's like candy.  sure, it has some good things in it, but it's sweetened?  yes, reading the bag gives the impression this is super stuff, what bothers me the most is the amount of fats...  eat this long enough, and it could provide some unwanted effects, as i imagine it could become somewhat addictive...

i didn't notice it being a "pick me up" in any way...

my son didn't like it.

i'm going to dedicate my 6 bucks to a nice cantaloupe and honeydew melon next time...  i think that would be money better spent.
"it'll be just like a sleepover, only we'll be sweaty and covered with grease!"  spongebob squarepants

Offline Bacchal

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2013, 08:44:02 am »
I sometimes add them to mashed up banana, avocado, and coconut in the morning. I like the added crunch and the mix of flavors with the other three. I haven't noticed any effect on energy either way.

Most raw nibs I have found are unsweetened. Those just have the bitter, earthy taste of plain, baking chocolate. I would recommend those if you're ever tempted to try them again.

As for the fat, I don't see why that would be an issue. It's all good fat.

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2013, 04:56:36 pm »
I do eat some when I get it in their shell. The hard inside parts taste like black chocolate. It's coated in a soft  white layer which is tasty as well. I never noticed any particular effect on me, the instinctive stop being neat so that you can't eat too much of it.

Cause and effect are distant in time and space in complex systems, while at the same time there’s a tendency to look for causes near the events sought to be explained. Time delays in feedback in systems result in the condition where the long-run response of a system to an action is often different from its short-run response. — Ronald J. Ziegler

Offline Suoaei

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2013, 10:27:03 am »
I love raw cacao (unsweetened), and I eat the powder mixed with absurd amounts of raw butter and some raw honey. Or sometimes I'll add it to an AV-style milk smoothie. I am pretty sensitive to caffeine, but the raw cacao doesn't affect me in a bad way. I do have to be aware that it speeds up my metabolism, often meaning that I have to eat more meat or darker meat later in the day. I think the butter helps soften the effects, and there is absolutely something to be said for enjoying sacred foods.
Also, I have been lucky enough to taste a truly raw, barely processed chunk of cacao that is not commercially available, and it may be one of the best things I have ever tasted.
Sometimes I do get carried away and start eating it every day, which is too much for me. Some things should definitely be in moderation.

Offline Barefoot Instincto

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2013, 10:52:27 am »
I've never tried these nib things before, but I've been eating a lot of dark chocolate lately. I get the 90 percent, with very few sugars in it and its very nice and bitter. At first it tasted good, but overly bitter. Then I started having about 30-40 grams of it a day, every day and its been tasting better and better. Usually I eat mixed with soaked nuts. Its become an addiction. Yesterday was the first day in a long time I had less than 30 grams (I had no grams). But, here I am yet again, eating it as I type.

I'm really not sure how much is too much when it comes to dark chocolate. I've heard recommended a good level is 100 grams a week. I have probably 200. I haven't noticed any obvious effects its had on me after consuming it.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/why-you-should-eat-and-drink-high-cacao-dark-chocolate/#axzz2K5BwKlcA

Seems pretty good to me. Although I'm probably overeating the stuff.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk