Author Topic: UK Authorities try to ban burgers being cooked "rare" or "medium-rare"  (Read 3779 times)

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/foodanddrinknews/9731808/Why-the-rare-burger-may-soon-become-endangered.html

The article points out that if such bans go through, we will be faced with banning of steak tartare etc.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline LePatron7

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: UK Authorities try to ban burgers being cooked "rare" or "medium-rare"
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2012, 10:54:30 pm »
I bet its just a matter of time before the government decides all meat, eggs, and produce have to be irradiated before they're put on store shelves.
Disclaimer: I was told I was misdiagnosed over 10 years ago, and I haven't taken any medication in over a decade.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2012, 11:08:26 pm »
This is outrageous!
James Armitage, the council’s food health and safety manager, said: “This is about making sure customers are eating meat that is not a threat to their health.
In other words, "We know what's best for you and we'll decide what's in your best interests."

Are there any organizations fighting this and defending people's right to eat what they want in the UK?
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2012, 11:54:45 pm »

Are there any organizations fighting this and defending people's right to eat what they want in the UK?
Not really. It's a good thing that Americans have a traditionally rebellious anti-government spirit given the American Insurgency   ;)  in 1775 and the ACW, as that  spirit has helped build up grassroots support against FDA etc. attempts to ban several raw foods. In the UK, few people even blinked when it was revealed that a lot of meat sold at stadiums and elsewhere is discarded halal or kosher meat. The only reason England still allows raw dairy to be sold is that the government, unlike the Scottish one, has somehow forgotten about the issue.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2012, 02:17:56 am »
In the province that I live in in Canada the idiot Premier wanted to ban all kinds of things such as Sushi bars.

One of his cabinet ministers  drinks raw milk from the guy who was arrested for selling it.
http://www.glencoltonfarms.com/

Apparently the rest of the government including Health Canada was willing to go along with legalizing it but this donkey-brained idiot used his power to quash it.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 03:13:14 am by TylerDurden »
Cheers
Al

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2012, 02:32:50 am »
Wait a minute! Have we forgotten that grain-fed beef is most susceptible to E. coli bacteria? I can still remember the E.coli outbreak twenty years ago that was traced back to burgers served at a fast-food restaurant. That outbreak led to stricter monitoring of cooking temperatures in fast-food restaurants.

I prefer to source my own properly-raised food and eat it raw, not rely on a stranger deciding to buy the cheapest animal and cook the hell out of it.

Government has always meddled, and I'm not going to raise a cry and make it meddle more. Most idiots I know think that the government will protect them, and so they empower the government to meddle. Ya can't fight the world and win.
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2012, 02:46:23 am »
If people want to eat raw grain-fed beef, they should be allowed to. I do at times and am not worried about the fact that it might contain some e-coli. E-coli already exists in most people's intestinal tracts. It's the type and quantity of the e-coli plus the susceptibility of the person that causes problems. Reasonable warning labels and signs are one thing, but bannings are another.
Most E. coli strains are harmless, but some serotypes can cause serious food poisoning in humans, and are occasionally responsible for product recalls due to food contamination.[2][3] The harmless strains are part of the normal flora of the gut.... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Escherichia_coli
External "germs" are not the whole story--there's also what Claude Bernard called the "terrain" or  the “milieu interne,” which is today generally called the microbiome.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 03:13:14 am by PaleoPhil »
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2012, 05:56:33 am »
If people want to eat raw grain-fed beef, they should be allowed to. I do at times and am not worried about the fact that it might contain some e-coli. E-coli already exists in most people's intestinal tracts. It's the type and quantity of the e-coli plus the susceptibility of the person that causes problems.

I was thinking more about studies that show that grainfed beef develop strains of E. coli that are more resistant to stomach acid. I read a discussion about this on this forum. Wikipedia has relevant citations http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cattle_feeding#E._coli
This is because feeding grain to cattle makes their normally pH-neutral digestive tract abnormally acidic; over time, the pathogenic E. coli becomes acid-resistant.[25] If humans ingest this acid-resistant E. coli via grain-feed beef, a large number of them may survive past the stomach, causing an infection.[26] A study by the USDA Meat and Animal Research Center in Lincoln Nebraska (2000) has confirmed the Cornell research.
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2012, 07:17:47 am »
Yeah, if the gov'ts want to ban something, they should ban the use of antibiotics on cattle. I still think that if antibiotics are going to be legal to use on cattle and people want take the risk of eating grainfed meat raw they should be able to if they choose to and the risk doesn't frighten me that much. I'll bet that longtime rawists could eat moderate amounts of even the most pathogenic e-coli without getting seriously ill. The terrain is important.

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2012, 07:28:54 am »
It means factory meat is so bad, they feel the need to do these measures.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2012, 08:44:49 am »
It means factory meat is so bad, they feel the need to do these measures.
I doubt the authors of these laws have a clue about factory farming. It's as you say though that band-aids are being lumped on the previous bad ideas, ie factory farming.
Cheers
Al

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2012, 04:32:13 pm »
I've heard of a number of people who've regained their health while on a diet consisting mainly of raw, grainfed meats. It's not ideal, and I strongly suspect that recovery took much longer on such diets, but the absence of heat-created toxins(except AGEs to a lesser extent), the presence of enzymes, and bacteria would likely negate much of the potential damage, and allow recovery. Also, food-poisoning tends to happen far more commonly to very vulnerable portions of the population, (ie the elderly, the very ill, babies(especially those born premature), so that  e coli etc. is way more likely to harm those whose guts are already long ruined  by cooked food diets.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2012, 04:45:33 pm »
I'll bet that longtime rawists could eat moderate amounts of even the most pathogenic e-coli without getting seriously ill. The terrain is important.
The danger for us is not bacteria but abnormal molecules in the feeding stuff produced by heat, artificial selection (notably in wheat and such) and other processes.

the absence of heat-created toxins
If the grain has been hot dried, which is most often the case, then there’s plenty of heat-created toxins in the raw meat.

« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 04:51:53 pm by Iguana »
Cause and effect are distant in time and space in complex systems, while at the same time there’s a tendency to look for causes near the events sought to be explained. Time delays in feedback in systems result in the condition where the long-run response of a system to an action is often different from its short-run response. — Ronald J. Ziegler

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2012, 06:03:28 pm »

If the grain has been hot dried, which is most often the case, then there’s plenty of heat-created toxins in the raw meat.
Yes there are some, but nowhere near as much than if the meat was cooked. For example, I once saw a study which showed that raw, grainfed chicken had half as many AGEs/advanced glycation end products as boiled, grainfed chicken.
" Ron Paul.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk