Author Topic: hurt my left quadricep, specifically the vastus lateralis  (Read 8131 times)

Offline bharminder

• Elder
    • View Profile
hurt my left quadricep, specifically the vastus lateralis
« on: December 14, 2012, 01:07:01 pm »
Hey what's up everybody!

I hurt my vastus lateralis a month or so ago, it's not that bad so I keep training on it but it doesn't get better. it doesn't get worse either. Anybody know stretches or other types of things to speed up its recovery?

it's the outer part of the thigh, on the anterior or front side of the body

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: hurt my left quadricep, specifically the vastus lateralis
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2012, 02:52:55 pm »
I would try some acupressure.  Let me know if you need a link to an acupressure chart.  Basically just find the sore points within about 8-12 inches or less from the sorest point in the muscle, and massage those.

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2012, 01:10:56 am »
FWIW, I have extensive experience healing my own body's musculo-skeletal parts, and I have found that the part that becomes injured is just one part of a larger imbalance. The injured part is on the line of the body's compensation for the whole imbalance.

Pressure helps, whether you use your hand, therapy balls, therapy rollers, etc. Two websites that have information that I incorporate are www.yamunabodyrolling.com/ and www.yogatuneup.com/.

Don't forget to develop an ongoing practice of your choice that can restore flexibility, stability, and balance to every part of your body. I do yoga. A friend of mine, who is a competitive power lifter, is writing his master's thesis on sports-injury prevention with yoga. If yoga is not your thing, find something that you love that will achieve the same end.
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

Offline Wattlebird

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2012, 04:55:38 am »
and further for what its worth, I find that as well as yoga, barefooting in natural terrains: rocky coves, sandy beaches, fields, parks, rivers, hills, gravel pits, etc is superb wholistic conditioning.
Firstly, one is compelled to shift the awareness into the feet and so one slows down the often usual mind-commentary that takes one away from being present.
 In addition, in order to walk in a variety of terrains one needs to walk correctly, which happens naturally of its own accord as one devotes more time to the activity. In short it hurts both the feet and hips, knees and lower back if one doesn't walk gently in accordance with ones own unique biomechanics.
Modern shoes with thick padding and built up heels promote heel striking and 'mindless' thudding about, whereas when one is barefoot the first point of contact is much further up the foot.
Also, in order to navigate ones way through various natural terrains (or urban ones too) a flexibility in the entire lower portion of the body develops, as associated muscles and joints are spontaneously conditioned as the feet and ankles morph, flex and adapt to the terrain.
In time, the entire lower body becomes more flexible and movement 'strong'.

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2012, 12:54:51 pm »
Yes, barefooting is essential for proper "stacking" of the joints of the body. Even a 1/2" heel height sets up an imbalance that affects every joint from your toes to the top of your neck. If you must wear shoes, there are excellent "barefoot" or "minimalist" shoes in many styles that can be worn to work. Look for styles that have absolutely no heel rise or cushioning - so you probably will be looking for a unpadded vibram sole.
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

Offline bharminder

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2013, 01:08:37 pm »
Thanks for the great tips everybody! Agreed that yoga is helpful!

Still hasn't healed, but the massaging and acupuncture will definitely work

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk