Author Topic: Iodine and calcium  (Read 10329 times)

Offline LePatron7

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Iodine and calcium
« on: December 15, 2012, 10:13:53 am »
Hey everyone. I plan to be fully RPD by the end of January. I have a few questions though regarding certain nutrients that I think my specific carbohydrate version of the diet will be lacking.

Iodine, good sources are seaweed, and salt with added iodine. However I want to avoid both, being seaweed isn't SCD legal, and salt with iodine usually has added impurities. Does anyone know of some good RPD sources that I can make a regular part of my diet?

I know I've posted on calcium before, but again I'm a little concerned that my dairy free RPDiet is very low in calcium. Are there any of you that take calcium supplements? Or are there foods high in calcium you eat regularly? Have any of you been eating RPD without any calcium supplements and/or calcium rich foods?

Are there any other nutrients I might be missing? I think I am a little (orthorexic) obsessed with my diet, like Tyler pointed out. I mean... I make sure all my supplements are SCD legal, when I eat all raw, I don't cheat. And I have my diet mapped out to the tee of exactly which foods I'd be eating for the week, excluding fruits and veggies. Lol
Disclaimer: I was told I was misdiagnosed over 10 years ago, and I haven't taken any medication in over a decade.

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Iodine and calcium
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2012, 01:12:25 pm »
I use bone meal from time to time, if my teeth get sensitive.

As far as iodine, eating a variety of wild-caught seafood should be sufficient. Cod seems to have a lot, and tuna also has a good amount.  I can't find any data on oysters, clams, or mussels, but they might have a lot too.

Offline bookittyrun

• Bear Hunter
  • smart enough to play dumb...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2012, 01:27:05 pm »
looks like shellfish contain iodine.  as do eggs, and obviously, multivitamins.  if you are considering a supplement for the calcium, get one that includes iodine, too. 

it's been my understanding, that iodine was added to table salt as a means of providing it to the general masses, those whose diet may not be all inclusive.  you may find you get an ample amount through your well-rounded raw diet.  why not grind / file those shellfish shells for a calcium additive to your diet?  nah, that's a lot of work... 

i apologize to everyone for pasting this crap here...
http://health.usnews.com/health-news/living-well-usn/articles/2012/03/14/5-non-dairy-foods-with-calcium
but maybe it'll help?  just ignore the ads and crap, in between the info...

good luck!
"it'll be just like a sleepover, only we'll be sweaty and covered with grease!"  spongebob squarepants

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2012, 04:51:13 pm »
Fish and shellfish all have lots of iodine in them.

There was a Bantu study which showed that Bantu women on low-calcium diets had stronger bones than Western women on high-calcium(dairy-rich) diets. This page is all  about the dangers of excess calcium:-

http://www.4.waisays.com/ExcessiveCalcium.htm
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline LePatron7

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2012, 07:48:41 pm »

There was a Bantu study which showed that Bantu women on low-calcium diets had stronger bones than Western women on high-calcium(dairy-rich) diets. This page is all  about the dangers of excess calcium:-

I remember you, or someone, posting a study showing that certain places consumed little calcium, and were better of than places that consumed a lot of calcium. But I don't think it was Wai diet related.
Disclaimer: I was told I was misdiagnosed over 10 years ago, and I haven't taken any medication in over a decade.

Offline LePatron7

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2012, 12:48:59 am »
Actually now that I think about it, it was a study showing increased osteoporosis in western societies where women consumed more calcium rich foods. And less in places they consumed less calcium. I can't find it though.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2012, 01:33:23 am »
The Bantu study is here:-

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2466922/

The other study was only a review, not a full study, but I can't remember where I found it.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2012, 06:00:27 am »

Sounds like the author started with a conclusion and worked back. It sounded a little too pat an answer. This does not make it accurate or inaccurate, just suspect.

For one thing I am assuming this refers to pasteurized (most likely) milk rather than raw milk. There is a massive difference.

It sounded like the author was only looking at milk as a factor. Other features of modernity were not examined.
Cheers
Al

Offline Joy2012

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2012, 11:12:50 am »
What kind of raw paleo diet will contribute to strong bones?

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2012, 12:20:00 pm »
What kind of raw paleo diet will contribute to strong bones?

high-fat, low-carb, with plenty of vitamin D-rich foods. 

Resistance exercise, like weightlifting, is very good for strengthening bones.

Vitamin D from sunshine and supplement is also good.

Offline Joy2012

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2012, 12:37:27 pm »
Thanks, CK.

Why high fat? Why low carb?

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2012, 02:42:57 pm »
Thanks, CK.

Why high fat? Why low carb?

Carbs reduce the action of vitamin D, while fats increase it. 

Offline LePatron7

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2012, 03:38:47 pm »
What would you consider low fat and high carbohydrate?

I plan to have 3/5th calories from fat, 1/5 car bs, 1/5 protein. Is that considered high carb?

Offline Joy2012

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2012, 12:37:59 pm »
Carbs reduce the action of vitamin D, while fats increase it.

Thanks, CK.

Will taking more V-D supplement help if one eats high-carb?

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2012, 12:47:09 pm »
What would you consider low fat and high carbohydrate?

I plan to have 3/5th calories from fat, 1/5 car bs, 1/5 protein. Is that considered high carb?

I'd call that pretty high-fat.

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2012, 12:47:33 pm »
Thanks, CK.

Will taking more V-D supplement help if one eats high-carb?

Somewhat, yes. Not that much, but somewhat.

Offline Joy2012

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2012, 12:53:16 pm »
Thanks, CK.

I did a little research on the internet. Surely I found articles saying that V-D needs fat to be absorbed. On the other hand, I have not found a study/article that says V-D needs "high fat" for efficient absorption and I have not found an article on how high carb hinders the absorption of V-D.  Does anyone have such articles at hand?
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 01:34:06 pm by Joy2012 »

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2012, 11:22:30 pm »
Thanks, CK.

I did a little research on the internet. Surely I found articles saying that V-D needs fat to be absorbed. On the other hand, I have not found a study/article that says V-D needs "high fat" for efficient absorption and I have not found an article on how high carb hinders the absorption of V-D.  Does anyone have such articles at hand?

it's not so much that "high-fat" makes it more absorbable than medium fat.  The problem is that there are many substances in carb-y foods that deactivate vitamin D. There are articles, if you want me to dig them up. 

Offline Joy2012

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2012, 10:52:26 am »
The problem is that there are many substances in carb-y foods that deactivate vitamin D. There are articles, if you want me to dig them up.

When you have time, yes, please give me the links to those articles. Many thanks.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk