Author Topic: I have never eaten raw meat  (Read 3530 times)

Offline Michelle

• Forager
    • View Profile
I have never eaten raw meat
« on: December 26, 2012, 02:18:47 am »
I'm sort of new to this lifestyle, and very new to the forum. I eat mostly raw veggies, but I cook my meats. I've never eaten raw meat in my life, unless smoked salmon counts. I just can't wrap my head around it - the texture and taste (or what I THINK to be the taste) of raw meat seems so... inedible. I've always thought eating raw meat would make me sick and kill me, and I always wash my hands thoroughly just after touching it.

How do you guys prepare your raw meats? What would you suggest to someone who is easing into it? Are there any kinds of meat that are unsafe to eat raw?

Any additional info will be much appreciated!

CitrusHigh

Re: I have never eaten raw meat
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2012, 02:35:32 am »
Hi Michelle! Welcome!

There are no rules to eating raw meat, can be cut straight from the animal and eaten immediately. However in the newbie section you will find your basic starter info. Also, most FAQ's here have been asked at least 3 times each so running searches will help reduce redundant posts.

Basically meat is at it's best the moment the animal is killed, uncooked, unprocessed, untreated, unrefrigerated, unfrozen, non-irradiated, etc. In other words, untampered with. The only caveats are fermenting, which seem to have the benefit of predigesting the food, making it readily absorbable, or needing little internal digestion.

The animals should be on their wild natural diet, nothing chemical, processed or cooked. This depends on the animal. Grass/Leaves for ruminants. A variety for pigs and chickens/fowl. Fish or algae for seafood.

As long as you get those two parts right, you're doing pretty well.

You were designed to eat raw meat, and the only reason you think it tastes funny is because you've learned that reaction. It is completely unnatural to feel that way and is indicative of just how incredibly mutant (not in an evolve-y sort of way, more as in aliens/foreigners) we've become in the last 15,000 years or so, and of course mostly in the last 1000 years.

We will help guide you, but it's best for you to do as much reading as you can, here and over at the weston A. price website under the 'health topics' section, you'll find a bunch of articles on traditional foods, modern foods and how they impact your health very readily and very visibly.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2012, 08:07:08 am »
I'm sort of new to this lifestyle, and very new to the forum. I eat mostly raw veggies, but I cook my meats. I've never eaten raw meat in my life, unless smoked salmon counts. I just can't wrap my head around it - the texture and taste (or what I THINK to be the taste) of raw meat seems so... inedible. I've always thought eating raw meat would make me sick and kill me, and I always wash my hands thoroughly just after touching it.
If the salmon was cold-smoked (such as with most "Nova lox") then, yes, it counts as raw by most rawists' standards and you've already experienced the basic texture and taste (with smoke added) of raw fish and didn't get sick or die. 99% of the reason people don't eat raw fish or meat is mental hangups that have been drilled into our heads by politicians and the corporations that buy them off, rather than real risk.

It has puzzled me for years when I encountered folks who claimed that they could never eat raw fish and at the same time say that they like Nova lox. When I point out that most Nova lox IS raw fish they either don't believe it or say that the smoking makes it safe, yet most sources claim that smoking doesn't eliminate the alleged risk of pathogenic bacteria.

If you want to see the difference between cold-smoked salmon and cooked salmon, just cook some cold-smoked salmon and compare it to the uncooked. I think you'll find that there's an obvious difference.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2012, 03:33:56 pm »
While "raw", cold-smoked salmon isn't really ideal. The smoke-aspect is frowned upon on this diet. Still, it's a whole lot better than if it was also cooked.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2012, 12:37:35 am »
for some reason 'raw' smoked affects me more negatively than cooked. that's just me though.

Offline Suoaei

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2012, 01:04:10 am »
When I started to eat raw meat, it took me a long time to get used to the texture. I wasn't afraid of getting sick, but like you I found the idea unpalatable.  I would say it's almost like an acquired taste. If you eat a little bit every day, you'll start to get used to it and then you'll start to crave it. Here's my advice, you can try it if you want: Start with the meat that sounds most palatable to eat raw. Chicken? Steak? Pork? Fish?  Buy a piece of whatever meat you think will be easiest, and cut off just a couple little pieces. (Note that with steak especially, you want to get a cut that has a good texture--new york, cross rib roast, and sirloin are my favorites. Also, cut the meat across the grain for the best texture.) Eat them without added flavorings the first time. Just put a little piece in your mouth and chew! Experience the pure flavor without judging it.
Later, experiment with flavors. Sauces, fruits, vegetables, cheese, or spices can make a bit of raw meat seem really exciting. I think marinated raw meat is especially delicious.

One other trick: I used to sear my meat on the outside, leaving the middle raw, in order to get used to the raw texture.

These tricks are just to get you started, to make it less scary. Once you get used to raw meat, you will probably begin to naturally choose it over cooked meat. That was my experience, anyways.
I wish you success and health!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk