Author Topic: mysterious raw egg death  (Read 7767 times)

Offline svrn

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
-----------

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
Re: mysterious raw egg death
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2012, 06:26:13 am »
What in this article is mysterious and makes no sense to you?
Cause and effect are distant in time and space in complex systems, while at the same time there’s a tendency to look for causes near the events sought to be explained. Time delays in feedback in systems result in the condition where the long-run response of a system to an action is often different from its short-run response. — Ronald J. Ziegler

Offline svrn

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2012, 10:49:33 am »
why would eating 30 eggs kill someone? some people eat that many eggs every day.
-----------

Offline ys

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2012, 01:54:29 pm »
read the article carefully.  that was not eating.  that was swallowing contest.  what they are swallowing is not really important.  there been many similar deaths.

Offline svrn

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2012, 02:31:16 pm »
how does swallowing kill?
-----------

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2012, 03:11:32 pm »
Swallow, gulp, drink, eat (or whatever way to ingest) too much of anything, even plain water, and you may die. Everything eaten in excess becomes noxious. Is that simple fact too difficult to grasp ?

Regarding the number of eggs one can eat in a given time, it’s highly variable. The first time I ate proper raw eggs, I counted 16 yolks and I don’t remember how many whites. Once on a Pacific Islet inhabited by seabirds only, I ate 30 – 35 of their eggs during the whole afternoon as I hadn’t eaten any eggs for several months before. Now that I have my own poultry and a constant unlimited supply of good eggs, I don’t eat more than 4 of them in a meal, about twice a week. That’s the difference between cruising speed and top speed.  ;)
Cause and effect are distant in time and space in complex systems, while at the same time there’s a tendency to look for causes near the events sought to be explained. Time delays in feedback in systems result in the condition where the long-run response of a system to an action is often different from its short-run response. — Ronald J. Ziegler

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2013, 08:53:53 am »
how does swallowing kill?
Most commonly by choking after too-quickly ingesting too much food.

Symptoms of salmonella poisoning typically don't even start to show until "12 to 72 hours after infection" http://firstaid.about.com/od/infections/qt/06_salmonella.htm, which a quick Internet search would have revealed to the reporter. As was said, the most likely cause of the man's death is excessively rapid swallowing of ANY food, especially by a novice competitor, rather than salmonella. Thus people should be cautioned about ALL eating contests, not just those involving raw eggs. Unfortunately, because the media sometimes attributes the deaths to the foods themselves instead of the extreme contests, many people remain ignorant of the real risks.

People have also died eating fully-cooked hot dogs, cakes, donuts, pancakes, chicken wings and other foods in eating contests (http://eatfeats.com/eating-drinking-contest-deaths-updated-oct-2012.html).
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2013, 05:09:21 pm »
Yes Phil, in such cases your explanation is certainly right.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk