Author Topic: How to eat raw steak?  (Read 26286 times)

Offline Poncho

• Elder
    • View Profile
How to eat raw steak?
« on: January 10, 2013, 05:15:39 am »
Ive got my first raw steaks here, they were thawed in the fridge. They are grass-fed and local to BC, thats where I am. No hormones or anything. How do I eat them? Wash them? Etc

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
Re: How to eat raw steak?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2013, 06:39:22 am »
No, just eat them with the mouth!  ;D

(I wouldn't eat them since they've been frozen, but others here would.)
Cause and effect are distant in time and space in complex systems, while at the same time there’s a tendency to look for causes near the events sought to be explained. Time delays in feedback in systems result in the condition where the long-run response of a system to an action is often different from its short-run response. — Ronald J. Ziegler

Offline Poncho

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2013, 07:08:56 am »
haha we tried to get non-frozen, but it was grain fed. we dont know the farmers etc here. we have to settle for frozen for now, isnt that better than cooked?

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2013, 07:11:46 am »
Yes, frozen is not as bad as cooked.  ;)
Cause and effect are distant in time and space in complex systems, while at the same time there’s a tendency to look for causes near the events sought to be explained. Time delays in feedback in systems result in the condition where the long-run response of a system to an action is often different from its short-run response. — Ronald J. Ziegler

Offline Poncho

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2013, 07:13:54 am »
;)

Offline LePatron7

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2013, 07:52:14 am »
GF beef can be pretty lean, especially if you get the lean cuts. See if you can find raw beef fat/suet from GF animals. It's a cheap and easy way to add raw animal fat to your diet.
Disclaimer: I was told I was misdiagnosed over 10 years ago, and I haven't taken any medication in over a decade.

Offline Poncho

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2013, 07:59:21 am »
Perfect, Ill do that. Thanks :)

Offline ys

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2013, 10:38:02 am »
I wash all the meat if I did not butcher it myself.  One time I got salmonella (or something similar) from one of the Slanker's cuts.  I started washing them ever since.  No repeats so far.

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2013, 12:50:04 pm »
It took me a few months of searching to find a butcher shop that had great, unfrozen grassfed beef at reasonable prices. Sometimes, ranch cooperatives without good retail connections send their cattle to slaughter, where the animals get butchered and frozen immediately - the processor becomes the wholesale distributor of cut meat. If you can find it, a full-service butcher shop buys the whole carcass and cuts it to your order.

A suggestion: steaks are often the more expensive cuts. Since you are not going to be cooking the meat, it won't get toughened by cooking, so you can buy less expensive cuts. Experiment with what's available. My favorite cuts come from the rump.
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2013, 01:18:11 pm »
It took me a few months of searching to find a butcher shop that had great, unfrozen grassfed beef at reasonable prices.

Finding a great source for particular raw foods, especially animal products, is an awesome thing.  I know a couple of women who sell fresh seafood off the back of their truck.  It's unfrozen, extremely fresh, and is about 60% of grocery store prices. I had been eating raw seafood VERY regularly for 5 years before I found them, though.

Offline svrn

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2013, 04:52:02 am »
it took me about a year to find the current butcher I have which is the first one im fully satisfied with. ANd I got lucky, only found out through word of mouth.

do the best you can, frozen is definitly better than cooked but still not great. WHen aajonus fed one group of dogs raw meat and the other group previously frozen raw meat (the same meat) the frozen group of dogs started get various problems such as mange and skin rashes over time. All problems went away as soon as he put them back on unfrozen.
-----------

Offline svrn

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2013, 04:55:03 am »
as far as how to eat it goes, just bite into it. No washing necessary.
-----------

Offline aLptHW4k4y

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2013, 03:31:50 am »
WHen aajonus fed one group of dogs raw meat and the other group previously frozen raw meat (the same meat) the frozen group of dogs started get various problems such as mange and skin rashes over time. All problems went away as soon as he put them back on unfrozen.
Wow. I've had so many dogs and fed them with whatever leftovers we had (food frozen and cooked, double damage!), and they lived just fine to old age without any such problems. How come?

Offline ys

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2013, 04:18:58 am »
WHen aajonus fed one group of dogs raw meat and the other group previously frozen raw meat (the same meat) the frozen group of dogs started get various problems such as mange and skin rashes over time. All problems went away as soon as he put them back on unfrozen.

I can only believe it if someone else can confirm by doing the exact same study.  Otherwise it sounds totally bogus.  As far as I know dogs do just fine on frozen meat.

Offline svrn

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2013, 05:24:03 am »
Wow. I've had so many dogs and fed them with whatever leftovers we had (food frozen and cooked, double damage!), and they lived just fine to old age without any such problems. How come?

Your experience is meaningless because you fed them whatever leftovers you had.
Aajonus had a scientific experiment with one group being fed nothing but frozen and the other group nothing but fresh with all other factors being equal.

please dont waste our time with useless anecdotes such as the one I quoted.

and ys, did aajonus make this up? I dont see why he would want to lie about something that would make the diet so much harder to do. I know my life would be a lot easier if frozen meat was just as good.

his experiment is good enough for me personally. It has much more credibility for me than any university study at least.
-----------

Offline LePatron7

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2013, 05:53:42 am »
Does he have anything to show that he actually did these experiments? Or do we just have to take his word, like with his 30 heart attacks and multiple cancers that was cured by wild coyotes offering him raw meat.
Disclaimer: I was told I was misdiagnosed over 10 years ago, and I haven't taken any medication in over a decade.

Offline van

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2013, 09:22:19 am »
DaBosse,  I for one wish you'd tone down your remarks, as like the one where you suggested to another not to "waste our time....  "   I think the comment made was valuable, for if you look at the experiments done by Pottenger with cooked food and cats, the same can be said,,  that most house cats eat Nothing But cooked canned or bag food and have litter after litter. 
    On the other hand, I've been feeding my dogs raw for about 15 years, and my first bit of education was from a book by a very old Italian woman who had raised dogs for decades feeding only raw, and she was convinced feeding frozen meat was detrimental, and optimally she would bury meat to then later feed. 
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 02:44:32 pm by TylerDurden »

Offline Barefoot Instincto

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2013, 09:57:11 am »
I'm glad you mentioned this study. For a long time I had been feeding my ferrets a raw "pet food" mix of high quality chicken (but still grain fed ._<) that included organs. But it was frozen every time. One of my girlies was starting to get fatty and wanted to just sleep all the time.

I switched them to a better eating and food schedule. Two small meals, one in the morning and one at night, with the occasional gorge and the occasional skipped meal for a bit of fasting. After fasting its interesting to note they have much more energy the day after and will chase and play like crazy. Started giving them more grassfed beef, lamb, bison, blended up full chicken breast etc type stuff with regular raw eggs.

This has made the world of a difference. I'm not sure if any of this can be attributed to the freezing effect of the meat, considering I had made many other changes in addition to this. Regardless, freezing and thawing clearly seems like an unnecessary further step that likely puts it through the ringer. I try not to do it myself, but sometimes do.

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2013, 11:21:58 am »
i have trouble enough getting food for myself that is not frozen (most of my food is bought frozen from farms), so how do you find fresh for your dogs?? i get dog food also from farms, in bulk, and frozen. my dog does not have skin issues, but i'm sure she'd be in heaven with fresh food.

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2013, 11:32:24 am »
troll, please watch your tone.  you can worship aajonous all you like. others may choose not to, and can still post here  :)

Offline van

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2013, 02:11:30 pm »
I'm able to buy whole lambs, quartered, organs and all, from a farmer in the next town.  I have a separate fridge to hang the quarters.  I had at one time three great pyrenese, as livestock guardians, now just one, and two smaller house dogs. 

Offline aLptHW4k4y

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2013, 03:15:42 pm »
Reading about dog food http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dog_food, I came across the raw food dog diet
The Food and Drug Administration of the United States states that they do not advocate a raw diet but recommends owners who insist on feeding raw to follow basic hygienic guidelines for handling raw meat to minimize risk to animal and human health.

Many commercial raw pet food manufacturers now utilize a process called High Pressure Pasteurization (HPP) that is a unique process that kills pathogenic bacteria through high-pressure, water-based technology. High Pressure Pasteurization is a USDA-approved, and is allowed for use on organic and natural products.

Raw foods produced for dogs and sold in pet stores are commercially safer than raw meats purchased in grocery stores. The acceptable level of bacteria in meats sold at grocery stores is relatively high because it is meant to be cooked. The acceptable level of bacteria in produced raw foods for dogs is relatively low because it is meant to be fed raw.
So funny how they are against feeding raw food to dogs just because of fear for too much bacteria :) I can't imagine the public ever accepting raw paleo diet when they don't accept it even for dogs..
We're so offtopic btw.

Offline LePatron7

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2013, 08:05:56 pm »
Sorry if it came off as mean, harsh, etc. but I meant it as a joke (though there's always some truth to jokes). I eat mainly frozen food and I don't notice any negative effects.

Offline ys

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2013, 10:20:34 pm »
The Food and Drug Administration of the United States states that they do not advocate a raw diet

We can safely ignore everything that comes out of FDA.

Offline svrn

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2013, 11:58:09 pm »
Im sorry but I do not wish to tone it down for useless and detrimental comments.

Im sure that all of you have heard people say that they and all these other people they know eat cooked food all the time and they are doing great, as though it means anything. Well we should all know by now that anecdotes such as this are completely useless and are nothing but a waste of time.

"I've had so many dogs and fed them with whatever leftovers we had (food frozen and cooked, double damage!), and they lived just fine to old age without any such problems."

this comment is clearly the exact same thing and is not helping anybody. He is talking about how cooked foods are fine. He should go on the cooked paleo forum to talk that nonsense not here.

and please alp, since your dogs did so well on cooked food you should probably start eating some too.  ;)

I also understand that some people want to think anything aajonus says is a lie. For those people I can offer no help.

WHy he would lie about frozen meat being bad for you I do not know. If someone has a theory as to why he lied about this please let me know.
-----------

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk