Author Topic: Could my hair loss be connected to my diet?  (Read 38488 times)

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
Re: Could my hair loss be connected to my diet?
« Reply #75 on: February 05, 2013, 10:04:46 pm »
Maybe your body is telling you that low carb is not for you at this time.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline Adora

• Chief
  • to thine own self be true ... Shakespeare
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 06, 2013, 07:59:25 am »
Suiren - I feel much better, zc. I had problems when I transitioned to zc before, but this transition, was Ok. I don't understand what the difference was. You always do what's best for you, and I'll reciprocate, but we already were doing that  ;). Love, love, love your hair, btw
know thyself and all of the mysteries of the gods and the universe will be revealed.
Oracle at Delphi

Then began I to thrive, and wisdom to get,
I grew and well I was;
Each word led me on to another word,
Each deed to another deed.
Odin, who chose to be weak and hang form the tree of the world (the universe), to capture the Runes (wisdom), so he (omnipotent) grew...
Each true word and deed leads to my manifestation of the true me.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 06, 2013, 12:19:03 pm »
On a side note, very weirdly I do not react to SAD foods anymore. I used to get severe reactions to most of the foods I avoided. But this weekend I ate some cake at my grandmothers birthday party and also had coffee and I had no problems whatsoever. This seems really weird to me...
Not that I want to eat this way now, I just find it weird.
A lot of Paleo dieters who do well report that their immune system calms down over time, including mine. Similarly, some, though not all, people with severe food allergies/intolerances reportedly have even had them completely resolve and find they can eat even the junkiest foods (not that I would recommend that) without noticeable reactions after undergoing helminthic therapy, which is supposed to calm down the immune system.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline Suiren

• Elder
  • (r)evolutionary mom
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 06, 2013, 04:17:51 pm »
Suiren - I feel much better, zc. I had problems when I transitioned to zc before, but this transition, was Ok. I don't understand what the difference was. You always do what's best for you, and I'll reciprocate, but we already were doing that  ;). Love, love, love your hair, btw

Thank you! I will try to regrow my hair when the hair loss stops like I did last time. It just sucks that I keep going through this and whenever I think I am fine now and my hair looks great I lose hair again. This is the third time. Although the second time was postpartum, so I can't complain much about that.

I think some will just need time transitioning. Maybe my body needs to sort itself ut first before I make any more changes. Afterall I have only eaten full Paleo for about a year (before that with rice and potatoes)
Nyd byþ nearu on breostan; weorþeþ hi þeah oft niþa bearnum
to helpe and to hæle gehwæþre, gif hi his hlystaþ æror.

Offline Suiren

• Elder
  • (r)evolutionary mom
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 06, 2013, 04:22:41 pm »
A lot of Paleo dieters who do well report that their immune system calms down over time, including mine. Similarly, some, though not all, people with severe food allergies/intolerances reportedly have even had them completely resolve and find they can eat even the junkiest foods (not that I would recommend that) without noticeable reactions after undergoing helminthic therapy, which is supposed to calm down the immune system.

Interesting. So that might mean that my immune system is doing better now?
I think the detox might have helped with that. Given the issues with my thyroid/ liver/ gallbladder I think my body ha a hard time detoxing prior to that. The acne also seemed to be a sign of toxins piling up.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 07, 2013, 06:37:33 am »
Interesting. So that might mean that my immune system is doing better now?
It's difficult to say, but my guess is that you've reduced the stress on your immune system and body by adding carbs back to your diet, rather than experienced a rejuvenation of your immune system. If you went back to VLC/ZC, my guess is that your symptoms would return, due to the underlying issues like Hashimoto's.

The acne also seemed to be a sign of toxins piling up.
There are multiple possible factors in addition to immune system hypersensitivity/dysfunction. The main factors in my case appear to be zinc deficiency and imbalanced and/or deficient microbiome. If I eat lots of carbs I get zits. If I cut back on the carbs or add zinc, the zits go away. I suspect that if I had better zinc levels and a balanced microbiome, then I wouldn't get zits from carbs. The Microbiome aspect is a guess based on other aspects of my medical history in addition to the acne tendency, and the fact that gut microbes are reportedly particularly important in processing carbs.

Zinc and other nutrients are also important for avoiding or repairing leaky gut syndrome:
"Nutritional deficiencies and leaky gut

There are several micronutrient deficiencies that the authors found to be associated with gut barrier function, specifically vitamin A, magnesium, zinc, vitamin D, and calcium. Vitamin A, zinc, and magnesium all help maintain tight junctions in the intestine and regulate endothelial differentiation in the gut, while vitamin D stimulates intestinal lining renewal and resistance to damage by modulating the immune system. Vitamin D and calcium play a joint role in maintaining the intestinal barrier by supporting the ATP-dependent pumps in the intestinal cells. In obesity, intake of these micronutrients is typically low, so deficiencies could play a significant role in exacerbating leaky gut conditions, especially when combined with intestinal dysbiosis and poor dietary choices. Therefore, having good intake of these micronutrients could be protective against the development of leaky gut and the inflammation and eventual obesity it can cause."
My guess is that I'm also somewhat chronically deficient in Mg and vitamin A, though it's less easy to tell than with zinc. Leaky gut syndrome can contribute to autoimmunity and acne.

Chronic stress can also exacerbate all these issues. In the modern world, chronic stress is one of the most omnipresent and difficult to avoid/manage/ameliorate health-undermining factors. I find that cryotherapy, spending time outdoors in the sun and cold, quality sleep, meditation, music, friends/family, etc. help.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 06:49:04 am by PaleoPhil »
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline svrn

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 15, 2013, 03:34:37 am »
my hair has gotten thicker and grows much faster now. my nails as well. The speed of growth really picked up after adding dairy.
-----------

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 15, 2013, 07:20:17 pm »
Did tick and strong horns grow on your forehead also?
 >D ;D
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 07:33:53 pm by Iguana »
Cause and effect are distant in time and space in complex systems, while at the same time there’s a tendency to look for causes near the events sought to be explained. Time delays in feedback in systems result in the condition where the long-run response of a system to an action is often different from its short-run response. — Ronald J. Ziegler

Offline svrn

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 15, 2013, 11:53:07 pm »
hopefully those will come soon.
-----------

Offline Suiren

• Elder
  • (r)evolutionary mom
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 19, 2013, 08:58:14 am »
my hair has gotten thicker and grows much faster now. my nails as well. The speed of growth really picked up after adding dairy.

I am eating raw butter daily. Is that dairy enough or is it missing benefits?

I usually avoid dairy. I am not sure if it is good or bad for me at the moment. If I get any benefits from it. But I would like to give raw cheese another try when I have some more things sorted out.

I think my hair loss stopped btw. I have been losing a normal amount for over a week. I am too scared to celebrate it just yet though....
I also noticed a lot of regrowth. Some from about 3 months ago, and some barely 1 month old. I look like a hedgehog. Now I have regrowth from 2010 somewhere around my back length, from my postpartum shed around my shoulders plus the short frizzies. I look awesome. Like I got electrocuted .

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk