Author Topic: Does freezing destroy the milk fat?  (Read 7387 times)

Offline White shark

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
Does freezing destroy the milk fat?
« on: February 27, 2013, 04:19:34 am »
Raw milk is illegal to sell where i live, so it was really difficult to find some. But i did, and now i have frozen some. But it gets a little grainy, and i dont care about that, unless it means the fat is destroyed? Do you know why it becomes grainy?

Offline LePatron7

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Does freezing destroy the milk fat?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2013, 04:53:59 am »
Raw milk sucked for me. It completely ruined my appetite for raw animal foods. Made me gag on fresh GF beef, very unlike me.
Disclaimer: I was told I was misdiagnosed over 10 years ago, and I haven't taken any medication in over a decade.

Offline White shark

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2013, 05:17:21 am »
I love milk, and I drank a lot of it when I was younger, but I stopped drinking it some years ago because it was pasteurized, so I have missed it. But I have never had any problems with digesting the pasteurized milk or any allergies. I dont feel very hungry when I drink milk, but thats just good, because I tend to eat too much,  and I have a lot less sugar cravings when I drink it.

Offline a87.pal

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2013, 05:28:21 am »
As far as I am aware, freezing does not make fats harmful to eat. (Plenty of people here freeze large pieces of meat[protein and fat] for later consumption without issues. Of coarse, fresh is usually preferred for taste reasons)

As for the grainy consistency, I dont know a lot about this: but I imagine that after freezing, the milk "separated." Milk is an emulsion of fat and water. That is why it is opaque instead of transparent. When you freeze it, different parts become solid at different temps and the emulsion "separates." Then when you bring it back up to temperature, the fat and water remain separated and grainy. To reform some of the emulsion, you could mix/shake/blenderize it. It should regain some of its normal consistency.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2013, 06:59:47 am »
I have a nasty allergy to raw dairy and it did not get worse when I drank raw milk that had been frozen. imo, freezing does not do much damage to meats/milk as long as one eats/drinks it as soon as it's thawed. The freezing does negatively affect the taste, and cause some nutrient-loss due to shredding cell-membranes, but the latter is solved partially by eating/drinking as soon as the stuff is thawed.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 12:29:52 am by TylerDurden »
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline ys

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2013, 11:59:16 pm »
My wife's frozen milk had this very unpleasant smell/taste.
Unfrozen (fresh) did not.  We had to discard all her frozen milk.

Not familiar with cow milk.

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2013, 12:01:20 am »
raw milk can be amazing for some people.  why not turn it into butter, you can drink the whey.  just google it there are a million nourishing tradition blogs with techniques and recipes.

Offline van

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2013, 02:19:00 am »
i'm not a believer/user of frozen anything         just to give another opinion

Offline White shark

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2013, 02:28:06 am »
Ok. Im glad freezing does not destroy anything. The milks smell and taste is a little different than before freezing, but fine. I simply dont have another choice than to freeze most of my food, or buy it frozen. I love butter, but i dont think i would ever get it done, but i think i will take a look at it.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2013, 03:49:28 am »
Ok. Im glad freezing does not destroy anything. The milks smell and taste is a little different than before freezing, but fine. I simply dont have another choice than to freeze most of my food, or buy it frozen. I love butter, but i dont think i would ever get it done, but i think i will take a look at it.
One person alleged that freezing over time destroys enzymes. He cited a 10% loss per week, or was it 100% after 10 weeks. At any rate, it might be an idea to not freeze meats/milk for many months, just weeks.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2013, 04:47:27 am »
I love butter, but i dont think i would ever get it done, but i think i will take a look at it.

there are recipes for making it in a food processor or blender.  set milk on counter til cream rises, or only invest in cream.  seperate cream into device, churn and churn and churn til it clumps, pour out butter milk, rinse coagulated butter with cold water, churn some more, rinse some more til the water is clean...butter

Offline tests

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2013, 03:04:37 pm »
Does this apply to refrigerating fat as well (i.e. refrigerating butter)?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk