Author Topic: Energy and different kinds of meats  (Read 4268 times)

Offline scottjmurray

• Forager
    • View Profile
Energy and different kinds of meats
« on: May 09, 2013, 06:09:38 am »
Hey all, I've been eating all-raw instinctive for a bit more than a month now I believe and I have some questions for the more senior members (or more experienced instinctos) here.

I've found that I can't really tolerate certain raw meats very well, even if they're from the right sources (wild-caught or grass-fed), this includes:

- Grass-fed lamb & beef (purchased from Whole Foods here in Portland, Oregon)
- Rockfish (From ???) and Mackerel (Norway), from Uwajimaya & H-Mart, respectively. Both wild-caught.
- Also wild canadian goose. I know it was wild--I killed it myself.

I had the mackerel last night (previously I'd been eating mostly wild-caught salmon and tuna) and wow, did it ever taste good. It smelled and tasted better than the salmon or basically any fish I've had in recent memory and I had the entire fish to eat as well so I just went to town on it. I noticed immediately I felt some sort of weird euphoria and a bunch of energy I don't usually have, resulting in a headache later in the evening and some minor stomach distress. What's the deal?

As far as the rockfish goes it didn't smell or taste too special (it was kind of bland and reminded me of cod but without the bitter aftertaste) but I had similar effects from it. Typically when I eat meat I just feel a little energy boost and satisfied, not like I'm on cocaine or something. I was pretty pissed actually, thinking that the Mackerel was toxic for me, because it's $3/lb here which is a lot better than $10-$20/lb for wild-caught salmon and tuna.

Raw beef and lamb seem to really mess me up--I feel really bloated after I eat them and lethargic. I'm wondering if I'm thinking about this too much or if it takes a while for the body to be able to tolerate these meats. Like I might be able to eat them months or years from now but not at the moment. It's confusing because my instincts (smell & taste) said: EAT THIS MACKEREL, but afterward I'm like "sh*t, I don't think I can tolerate this stuff."

Salmon, tuna, yellowtail and even farm-raised tilapia and farm-raised salmon go down without any trouble at all. Any insight would be greatly appreciated as I continue the pursuit of cheap fish I can eat.

Oh, the only other animal food I've been eating lately are quail eggs (from H-Mart). I also just had jackfruit for the first time--it tasted like banana bubblegum :)
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 06:15:15 am by scottjmurray »

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Energy and different kinds of meats
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2013, 07:09:45 am »
If you're getting digestive issues, eat less of the food, and eat it more slowly, and chew it more thoroughly.  If that doesn't seem to help, stop eating it for a few months.

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2013, 02:39:16 pm »
It has always been difficult to distinguish reactions caused by the foodstuff itself of the reactions due to elimination of previously accumulated noxious molecules (detox) which has been triggered by the current ingestion of that particular raw foodstuff.   

That's one more reason to make sure that all the food we buy is OK.
Cause and effect are distant in time and space in complex systems, while at the same time there’s a tendency to look for causes near the events sought to be explained. Time delays in feedback in systems result in the condition where the long-run response of a system to an action is often different from its short-run response. — Ronald J. Ziegler

Offline scottjmurray

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2013, 05:34:19 am »
It was probably some kind of detoxification. I'm able to tolerate the same foods now without any trouble. Instincto is a strange beast indeed for me. Yesterday I ate an entire jackfruit and little else.

I've noticed that my needs fluctuate quite a bit. The salmon I have drying in my fridge was the tastiest thing possible a few days ago and now smells like total garbage. The tuna that several weeks ago was appalling is now the most pleasant because it tastes so mild. It seems like the changes correspond a lot with changes in my mental state and also my life. I've had a lot of changes like new jobs, starting new classes in school, new assignments being issued, etc. The needs of my body changed alongside these things, like its keeping pace with everything. Interesting stuff.

Offline LifeIsExperience

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2013, 07:22:04 pm »
Some notes from my very beginning of instinctive eating (maybe it is helpful for you):
- personal needs fluctuate, especially in the beginning; you will notice that in the long term there will always be a "key" foodstuff, which will be attractive for weeks or even months
- fish seems to be easier to digest than meat
- eat slowly and interrupt occasionally while eating (short break of some minutes); otherwise it is very easy to overload yourself :(

Just my 2 cents :)

my english sucks? i am aware of it!

your food doesn't satisfy you? broaden your choice! still not satisfied? simply skip your next meal

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk