Author Topic: REQUEST: hot sauce  (Read 5542 times)

Offline Dr. D

• Chief
    • View Profile
REQUEST: hot sauce
« on: June 10, 2013, 08:43:42 am »
I LOOOOOVE me some hot sauce and if I could dip my fat in that every now and then is be a happy camper. I seriously used to live on chicken with hot sauce pre paleo. I havent had a spicy thing in weeks and I'm startin to feel the Jones.

the best I can figure is take some nice cayenne peppers, soak them in raw apple cider vinegar, Add some sea salt? Then let the vinegar do its dirty for a month? Anybody experiment with it yet?
-Dustin

Trying to heal ADHD. Common symptoms: fatigue, impulsiveness, poor attention, no motivation.
Other side issues I'd like to get over: Acne, dandruff, tooth health (yellow, poor gums, gingivitis)

If ya ain't hungry enough to eat raw liver, ya ain't hungry enough.

We are all just doing the best we can, with what we know, at any given time.

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: REQUEST: hot sauce
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2013, 09:02:58 am »
I have not tried it. that sounds like it would work, though.

Offline bookittyrun

• Bear Hunter
  • smart enough to play dumb...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2013, 02:21:14 pm »
if you've made an attempt, please keep us posted...  if not, and you are patient enough to wait for a procrastinator, i would be willing to try within the next few weeks...

mmm...  hot sauce...     -d
"it'll be just like a sleepover, only we'll be sweaty and covered with grease!"  spongebob squarepants

Offline Dr. D

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2013, 03:46:40 am »
I was gonna wait a few more weeks to see how it fermented, but It may be gone.  Here's what i did:

1/4 cup Raw unpasteurized ACV

1 Tomato

a few cloves of garlic

half an onion

Half an orange pepper

1/2 cup packed cilantro

1 teaspoon honey (obviously unheated)

a few pinches of Celtic sea salt

a lot of precrushed/dried Chile peppers, I'm guessing 1/2 cup

put it all into my blender and ran that bad boy. It's held for a week with only tasting better as it ages. This one became green sweet and really spicy.

I suggest a little less vinegar and double everything else, cause it goes. Also, be patient and bottle it for a few weeks. Will update more I guess with experiments haha.
-Dustin

Trying to heal ADHD. Common symptoms: fatigue, impulsiveness, poor attention, no motivation.
Other side issues I'd like to get over: Acne, dandruff, tooth health (yellow, poor gums, gingivitis)

Offline bookittyrun

• Bear Hunter
  • smart enough to play dumb...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2013, 09:41:46 am »
that's awesome!  i will definitely give this a try, and perhaps work on a way to make a "paste-like" batch... 

ooh, my mouth is watering...
"it'll be just like a sleepover, only we'll be sweaty and covered with grease!"  spongebob squarepants

Offline Dr. D

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2013, 01:27:45 pm »
I notice along the wall of the glass I keep it in has built up a paste. I've yet to scoop any out. I want it to age a little more. I think the vinegar should be more about giving enough bacteria so it won't mold. Too much and it tastes a little acidic. I imagine the honey would help preserve it also.
-Dustin

Offline surfsteve

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2017, 06:03:46 am »
You don't need vinegar when fermenting vegetables because the act of fermentation will make it's own vinegar.

Here are some of my fermentations I used to have sitting on my counter. I only fermented them for a couple of days. Not months! Though that was in a very warm kitchen. It would take longer if the temperature is lower. Normally I would ferment until the onions begin to clear. Just a little bit longer than in the picture. Be sure and leave the lids loose while fermenting to let off the carbon dioxide gas. Otherwise you will wind up with carbonated vegetables.

My salsa was one of my favorite things and everybody liked it. A big jar like that would be gone in just a few days because it was so good you could eat it on the side just like a vegetable.

For best results taste your fernentations at least twice a day. They should start tasting better and better till they reach a point. Once you reach that point stop immediately and put them in the fridge. Note how long it took and the next time ferment them for just a little bit less. Sometimes I remember that the jar would be half empty from "tasting" it before the fermenting was done. No harm done. That's the best way to do it!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk