Author Topic: Let's discuss magnesium deficiency...  (Read 18435 times)

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
Re: Let's discuss magnesium deficiency...
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2013, 08:49:10 pm »
I have a feeling it does.
Same as soaking your feet in a pail of water with epsom salts.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2013, 10:39:10 am »
Remember we evolved on the African Savannah (inland), not on the coast. I don't think we necessarily require seafood and it's high mineral content to be healthy. Chances are, the amount of Mg found in the diet of our ancestral inland hunter-gatherers, before there even were any coastal hunter-gatherers, is a sufficient amount for good if not optimal health.

Of course as HG (can't be arsed to keep writing hunter-gatherers) populations grew they would have dispersed and reached the coastline eventually and those populations likely supplemented their diet with seafood and coincidentally increased their Mg and other mineral eg. Ca intake. But in my opinion it was by no means a necessity for good health or for further success of the human species. These coastal HGs likely still hunted large game, because seafood alone would not provide enough calories.

I find it interesting that many people today have seafood allergies, myself included, although mainly to shellfish, but also some sea fish (although I do not get life-threatening anaphylaxis). I avoid all seafood now except for salmon. This leads me to think that perhaps all HGs had allergies to seafood at one time and it took time before SOME (which later became 'most', but not 'all') coastal HGs adapted to it to be able to eat it without negative symptoms.

These are just thoughts of mine, which may or may not change.

Allergies, to be honest, are often controllable with hookworms and vitamin D, and a higher-fat diet. Seafoods are far richer in minerals than land foods, on average.  VERY few soils come compare to the ocean in terms of mineral richness. It's a big difference.

Offline Haai

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2013, 01:31:25 pm »
Seafoods are far richer in minerals than land foods, on average.  VERY few soils come compare to the ocean in terms of mineral richness. It's a big difference.

I realise that seafoods are far richer in minerals. The point I was trying to make, though, is that maybe we don't require such a high mineral intake. The earliest evidence for coastal habitat use and consumption of seafood  by humans was 164 000 yrs ago, according to: http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v449/n7164/full/nature06204.html

That's not a hell of a long time ago considering the Paleolithic Era began 2.6 million yrs ago. 164 000 yrs expressed as a percentage of 2.6 million is only 6.3%.

I guess the ideal way so that we can know for sure what the effects are of diets with different mineral contents (eg. raw paleo diet with and without seafood) is through randomized controlled trials.
"In the modern, prevailing view of the cosmos, we sit here as tiny, unimportant specks of protoplasm, flukes of nature, and stare out into an almost limitless void. Vast, nameless tracts of emptiness dominate the scene. Talk about feeling small.
But we do not look out at the universe; it is, instead, within us, as a rich 3-D visual experience whose location is the mind" - R. Lanza, Beyond Biocentrism.

Offline Dr. D

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2013, 02:35:54 pm »
I would imagine the only way to make a raw animal based diet work without the addition of seafood would have to be super fat based, which may not be practical. Lex seemed to do well on his organ mix pet food. But idk if everyone can do that. Magnesium from a blood source seems reasonable possibly. Or from dirt/water/clay absorbed through the skin. We'd ideally like to avoid supplementation for the premise that the diet is enough. I don't see running into mineral deficiency with the addition of specific plant foods an issue, but plant foods not being available year round could be an issue, unless of course the fermentation could compensate.

The other issue with those dates, is they really aren't SURE that those times are correct. What if paleolithic ear began 1 million years ago and people began coastal habitat 800,000 years ago? They really don't have proof other than finding the tools they found, im sure in ceratin "layers" of rock, which they themselves put into place, without really any evidence of those times. What I'm saying is for dating, they find 3 candles, one of which is burning. One is 7 inches, the other is 7 and the burning one is 2 inches. They assume the burning candle was 7 inches when it started.

Also from the article:
  Shellfish may have been crucial to the survival of these early humans as they expanded their home ranges to include coastlines and followed the shifting position of the coast when sea level fluctuated over the length of MIS6.

I think seeing the evidence of movement of humans and their use of tools for shellfish is stronger evidence than the timeframe in which they are guessing that it occurred in.
-Dustin

Trying to heal ADHD. Common symptoms: fatigue, impulsiveness, poor attention, no motivation.
Other side issues I'd like to get over: Acne, dandruff, tooth health (yellow, poor gums, gingivitis)

If ya ain't hungry enough to eat raw liver, ya ain't hungry enough.

We are all just doing the best we can, with what we know, at any given time.

Offline LePatron7

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2013, 04:40:15 pm »
I read some of "The Magnesium Miracle" on amazon. One of the things the author recommends is starting by eating magnesium rich foods, and cutting out calcium supplements temporarily while building the mag levels. She says that since magnesium is poorly absorbed from supplements, food is the best way to go. She also suggests cutting out calcium since most people eat so much calcium and so little magnesium.

After reading that I added in magnesium rich foods, and ordered a magnesium glycinate supplement. Mag glycinate is supposed to be absorbed very well since it's bound to an amino acid.

Another thing I think is pretty important is the cal:mag ratio. I think if you consume less calcium you need less magnesium.
Disclaimer: I was told I was misdiagnosed over 10 years ago, and I haven't taken any medication in over a decade.

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2013, 03:01:02 pm »
I realise that seafoods are far richer in minerals. The point I was trying to make, though, is that maybe we don't require such a high mineral intake. The earliest evidence for coastal habitat use and consumption of seafood  by humans was 164 000 yrs ago, according to: http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v449/n7164/full/nature06204.html

That's not a hell of a long time ago considering the Paleolithic Era began 2.6 million yrs ago. 164 000 yrs expressed as a percentage of 2.6 million is only 6.3%.

I guess the ideal way so that we can know for sure what the effects are of diets with different mineral contents (eg. raw paleo diet with and without seafood) is through randomized controlled trials.

Well, you can take my word for it, or I can throw thousands of hours worth of reading your way.  It's your choice.

Offline Haai

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2013, 03:25:06 pm »
Well, you can take my word for it, or I can throw thousands of hours worth of reading your way.  It's your choice.

Take your word for what? That humans require a diet with a relatively high mineral content like that obtainable by frequent seafood consumption for good health and that the relatively low mineral content of a diet consisting primarily of large herbivores and no seafood consumption would not provide good health?

If so, then please do throw some reading material at me.
"In the modern, prevailing view of the cosmos, we sit here as tiny, unimportant specks of protoplasm, flukes of nature, and stare out into an almost limitless void. Vast, nameless tracts of emptiness dominate the scene. Talk about feeling small.
But we do not look out at the universe; it is, instead, within us, as a rich 3-D visual experience whose location is the mind" - R. Lanza, Beyond Biocentrism.

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2013, 10:36:38 am »
Take your word for what? That humans require a diet with a relatively high mineral content like that obtainable by frequent seafood consumption for good health and that the relatively low mineral content of a diet consisting primarily of large herbivores and no seafood consumption would not provide good health?

If so, then please do throw some reading material at me.

Have you read Dr. Price's book, "Nutrition and Physical Degeneration?"  Just read chapters 15-20, the rest is mostly repetition.

http://journeytoforever.org/farm_library/price/pricetoc.html

There's the link.  He basically found that nearly every group he studied, even groups in inland areas, valued seafoods more than any other foods, for general health and especially healthy reproduction and healthy growth in children. Especially valued were shellfish and fish eggs.  Ocean-caught shellfish are EXTREMELY high in minerals, especially trace minerals.

Also, The Brix Book by Rex Harrell is a good place to start understanding how huge the difference is between plants from higher-mineral soils versus plants from low-mineral soils.

http://crossroads.ws/brixbook/BBook.htm

Those two resources ought to keep you busy for a few weeks.

Rex also runs a Yahoo group about Brix and plants, you can do a search on Yahoo groups for it.  It's an OK group, but it's chock-full of vegans. Be ready for that.

The reality is, yes, many people do have deadly shellfish or finfish allergies.  I had a serious anaphylactic shock reaction the last time I ate shrimp, 4 years ago.  However, that's the only seafood I'm allergic to, and seafood is just too rich in minerals and high-quality fats to stop eating it just because of an allergy to one single protein in one species of shrimp.

Offline Haai

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 05, 2013, 05:53:09 pm »
Have you read Dr. Price's book, "Nutrition and Physical Degeneration?"  Just read chapters 15-20, the rest is mostly repetition.

http://journeytoforever.org/farm_library/price/pricetoc.html

There's the link.  He basically found that nearly every group he studied, even groups in inland areas, valued seafoods more than any other foods, for general health and especially healthy reproduction and healthy growth in children. Especially valued were shellfish and fish eggs.  Ocean-caught shellfish are EXTREMELY high in minerals, especially trace minerals.

Also, The Brix Book by Rex Harrell is a good place to start understanding how huge the difference is between plants from higher-mineral soils versus plants from low-mineral soils.

http://crossroads.ws/brixbook/BBook.htm

Those two resources ought to keep you busy for a few weeks.

Rex also runs a Yahoo group about Brix and plants, you can do a search on Yahoo groups for it.  It's an OK group, but it's chock-full of vegans. Be ready for that.

The reality is, yes, many people do have deadly shellfish or finfish allergies.  I had a serious anaphylactic shock reaction the last time I ate shrimp, 4 years ago.  However, that's the only seafood I'm allergic to, and seafood is just too rich in minerals and high-quality fats to stop eating it just because of an allergy to one single protein in one species of shrimp.

Thanks for the links.

I read Prices book a few years ago. I just spent a couple of hours quickly going through chapters 15 to 20 to refresh my memory.
Indeed some, but not all, of the inland groups he studied valued seafood highly. Although, I believe freshwater fish made up part of their diet, however I'm not certain how freshwater and saltwater fish compare regarding mineral content. Though I'm sure anadromous fish, eg. salmon, which essentially take nutrients, including minerals, from the sea to inland areas, would have made up a large, but seasonal, part of the diet of inland HGs in temperate regions.

I just bought a refractometer. I'm interested to find out the brix levels of the  very little plant food that I eat (mainly berries).

Offline LePatron7

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 05, 2013, 09:07:19 pm »
Where can I find raw ones? I tried sprouting the ones from whole foods, days later nothing.

Are these okay? http://www.nuts.com/snacks/pumpkinseeds/?gclid=CPK5nJG1mLgCFUQ6QgodSA4AGg

If you do go for pumpkin seeds,  ditch all  the ones found in stores and on line, and search out the hungarian types that are the only ones that will sprout.  They are dark green and I think I got my last batch from Sunfood..   I soak them for one day, changing the water a couple of times,,,  then put in colander and let sit on counter for a day, and then if it's sunny in my kitchen I leave them there to dry, otherwise I put the colander in the fridge to let them dry there.  They are the only ones worth eating.  All other varieties in stores mostly come from China, are light green, and are dead and mostly rancid.     Most almonds are pasturized as mentioned here too.  But you can search for ones that aren't.  They are much better soaked, imo.
Disclaimer: I was told I was misdiagnosed over 10 years ago, and I haven't taken any medication in over a decade.

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 05, 2013, 09:30:30 pm »

I read Prices book a few years ago.
Indeed some, but not all, of the inland groups he studied valued seafood highly.

The only one I'm aware of that DIDN'T prize seafoods were the Swiss, and they did not have as good tooth health as many/most of the other groups. For that matter, the African groups that he studied would all eat dried ocean shrimp that was brought several hundred miles inland.  I don't know if he mentions that, but it was, and still is, a prized food of inland African groups.

Here's a interesting quote about some Pacific Islanders who took their seafoods VERY seriously:

"The Island of New Caledonia is one of the largest of the Pacific. It is situated in the vicinity of 23 degrees south latitude and 165 degrees east longitude. The New Caledonians are pure Melanesian stock. They are broad shouldererd, very muscular and in the past have been very warlike. These Islands are under French control. The foreign population is chiefly French, and limited mainly to the vicinity of the one port of Noumea. The subjugation of these people has been very difficult and as recently as 1917 a band from the interior in protest against efforts to establish a white colony and sugar plantation on a desirable section of coastal land swept down on the French colony in the night and massacred almost the entire population. Their contact with the required foods from the sea had been cut off. They believe they require sea foods to maintain life and physical efficiency. "--chapter 15.

Here's another passage from chapter 15, that mentions just how crucial seafoods are to these tribes:

" Since Viti Levu, one of the islands of this group, is one of the larger islands of the Pacific Ocean, I had hoped to find on it a district far enough from the sea to make it necessary for the natives to have lived entirely on land foods. Accordingly, with the assistance of the government officials and by using a recently opened government road I was able to get well into the interior of the island by motor vehicle, and from this point to proceed farther inland on foot with two guides.

I was not able, however, to get beyond the piles of sea shells which had been carried into the interior. My guide told me that it had always been essential, as it is today, for the people of the interior to obtain some food from the sea, and that even during the times of most bitter warfare between the inland or hill tribes and the coast tribes, those of the interior would bring down during the night choice plant foods from the mountain areas and place them in caches and return the following night and obtain the sea foods that had been placed in those depositories by the shore tribes. The individuals who carried these foods were never molested, not even during active warfare.[/u] He told me further that they require food from the sea at least every three months, even to this day. ...

Fresh water fish of various kinds are used where available from the mountain streams. Land animal foods, however, are not abundant in the mountainous interior, and no places were found where the native plant foods were not supplemented by sea foods."

Although, I believe freshwater fish made up part of their diet, however I'm not certain how freshwater and saltwater fish compare regarding mineral content.

Well, it depends entirely on the soil quality of the surrounding land. Good land=good streams.

I just bought a refractometer. I'm interested to find out the brix levels of the  very little plant food that I eat (mainly berries).

Keep me posted.  I'm curious to hear about your findings.

Offline van

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 05, 2013, 11:08:50 pm »
Where can I find raw ones? I tried sprouting the ones from whole foods, days later nothing.

Are these okay? http://www.nuts.com/snacks/pumpkinseeds/?gclid=CPK5nJG1mLgCFUQ6QgodSA4AGg

NO,, those are the chinese ones.  Try looking up Sunfood,  they are dark green, totally different.  I'll let you know what I find as I am going to order more. 

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 05, 2013, 11:26:40 pm »
damn I'll see if I can get the name of the vendor, but in the fall there are some ridiculously fresh organic pumpkin seeds that grow in either Oregon or Washington, so pretty close to me here in Idaho. 

even after soaking and drying and would be the one of the last foods on my list.   I think they should be used extremely sparingly, once a week at most. wild greens are a really great source of mag right now, mallow specifically, id eat a handful of that over pumpkin seeds any day.  or okra, if you can find okra at your farmers market, hopefully they have healthy soil with lots of mag. 

the only time I eat "seeds" now is if I grow sunflower greens
« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 12:40:51 am by TylerDurden »

Offline van

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 06, 2013, 12:56:49 am »
It is Sunfood, or Sunfood superfoods...   These are totally different from others, especially if soaked and sprouted for a day or so.  Not only do they have lots of mg. but are full of zinc, and omega threes.    I agree of not eating them if they were chinese,  they should never be eaten.   I've eaten these Austrian ones for years. 

Offline Dr. D

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 06, 2013, 07:30:06 am »
We're a little off topic, lemme bring it around.

I am currently trying to move towards completely carnivorous and am running into magnesium deficiency. I eat about 6-7 oz. of salmon a day and the only thing that gets me near feeling right is soaking at least my feet in epsom salt. Today I'll take a full bath in it.

This isn't easy. For breakfast I ate 1/2 pound of suet, same as last night. Probably gonna have another 1/4 pound since I had my salmon today. I have about 2 large tablespoons of celtic sea salt per day and near a gallon of water. As long as I drink the salt I dont pee it all out instantly. But I'm STILL struggling with the magnesium. I feel weak. Not fatigued or tired. I have a minimal headache and sore joints, clearly Mg deficiency. Is suet too much sat. fat? Does that even matter in ketosis? I really dont want to dose with Mg supplements but I'm nearing the point of desperation. When I feel the Mg coming back into me, my heart starts to race a little bit. Should I just ditch the ZC thing and have some leafy greens? It's been 4 days since VLC, only having a small mango. Maybe that set me back in glycogen stores? I also eat plenty of liver (beef or lamb). I don't have access to other organs so maybe I should hold off on carnivorous until I do?

I don't have a big issue with staying in mostly ketosis but having ~30-50g carbs per day, but I have been doing that for a month and still didn't feel like "dear god so this is what pure raw energy feels like" Maybe its because some of the carbs were cooked carbs? Higher insulin spike, longer time to deplete it from my liver? This is the longest I've survived attempting ZC/VLC so I'd say that's pretty cool.
-Dustin

Trying to heal ADHD. Common symptoms: fatigue, impulsiveness, poor attention, no motivation.
Other side issues I'd like to get over: Acne, dandruff, tooth health (yellow, poor gums, gingivitis)

Offline LePatron7

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 06, 2013, 08:15:36 am »
It is Sunfood, or Sunfood superfoods...   These are totally different from others, especially if soaked and sprouted for a day or so.  Not only do they have lots of mg. but are full of zinc, and omega threes.    I agree of not eating them if they were chinese,  they should never be eaten.   I've eaten these Austrian ones for years.

Is this it?

http://www.sunfood.com/nuts-seeds/pumpkin-seeds.html

Offline LePatron7

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 06, 2013, 08:24:34 am »
I am currently trying to move towards completely carnivorous and am running into magnesium deficiency. I eat about 6-7 oz. of salmon a day and the only thing that gets me near feeling right is soaking at least my feet in epsom salt. Today I'll take a full bath in it.

The thing about the baths is you don't absorb much of it, the majority is rapidly excreted in the urine. I honestly have my doubts about the oil too.

Is suet too much sat. fat?

I personally don't like suet. However it sounds like you're eating a lot of fish, which would make up for it.

I really dont want to dose with Mg supplements but I'm nearing the point of desperation.

Supplements can be a good thing. If you go for supplements go for the chelated (amino acid bound to magnesium form).

Should I just ditch the ZC thing and have some leafy greens?

That's up to you. ZC isn't for everyone. Some do very well others don't

In addition to magnesium low potassium could be a problem too.

Offline Dr. D

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 06, 2013, 10:29:14 am »
Salmon is a good source of potassium, in 3 oz there is as much as a banana. So Idk if I'm low on that. But someone posted on another thread that magnesium is required for potassium to uptake and potassium is required for sodium. Low magnesium causes a chain effect. Though he presented no source for this info.
-Dustin

Offline van

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 06, 2013, 10:45:22 am »
Is this it?

http://www.sunfood.com/nuts-seeds/pumpkin-seeds.html

that's them,, remember to soak for a day, rinsing at least once, then drain and rinse, and put into big colander with many holes in it.  Let sit on counter for a day or two, or more and they'll dry, and or, place in fridge to continue drying.     I'm not sure, was it you that wrote that you are taking two tablespoons salt?   That's a lot.   Try Blue Ocean Minerals for mg. supplement.   Simply condensed sea water with the sodium removed.   

Offline Haai

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 06, 2013, 12:44:44 pm »
We're a little off topic, lemme bring it around.

This isn't easy. For breakfast I ate 1/2 pound of suet, same as last night. Probably gonna have another 1/4 pound since I had my salmon today. I have about 2 large tablespoons of celtic sea salt per day and near a gallon of water. As long as I drink the salt I dont pee it all out instantly. But I'm STILL struggling with the magnesium. I feel weak. Not fatigued or tired. I have a minimal headache and sore joints, clearly Mg deficiency. Is suet too much sat. fat? Does that even matter in ketosis? I really dont want to dose with Mg supplements but I'm nearing the point of desperation. When I feel the Mg coming back into me, my heart starts to race a little bit. Should I just ditch the ZC thing and have some leafy greens? It's been 4 days since VLC, only having a small mango. Maybe that set me back in glycogen stores? I also eat plenty of liver (beef or lamb). I don't have access to other organs so maybe I should hold off on carnivorous until I do?

I don't have a big issue with staying in mostly ketosis but having ~30-50g carbs per day, but I have been doing that for a month and still didn't feel like "dear god so this is what pure raw energy feels like" Maybe its because some of the carbs were cooked carbs? Higher insulin spike, longer time to deplete it from my liver? This is the longest I've survived attempting ZC/VLC so I'd say that's pretty cool.

Suet is around 50% saturated fat.

In my opinion, summer is a very wrong/bad time to be attempting zero carb. It is completely discordant with our evolution. Winter is the natural time of year to be going zero carb/VLC.

Offline Haai

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 06, 2013, 12:57:40 pm »
I personally don't like suet. However it sounds like you're eating a lot of fish, which would make up for it.

What is fish supposed to make up for?
The amount of fat in fish (muscle meat), such as salmon which is considered a fatty fish by most, is very small. We're talking about 5 or 6% by weight. The 7 oz of salmon that Dr D is eating only provides around 12g of fat. Some of which is also saturated fat. To keep on topic, it also provides about 60mg Mg.

Offline Dr. D

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 06, 2013, 01:14:37 pm »
Suet is around 50% saturated fat.

In my opinion, summer is a very wrong/bad time to be attempting zero carb. It is completely discordant with our evolution. Winter is the natural time of year to be going zero carb/VLC.

I actually agree with you. I notice since cutting carbs my tolerance to cold has dramatically risen as well as an intolerance to heat. I think carbs help that. The problem is unsustained energy. Even lack of energy and weakness. On 2-3 pieces of fruit a day. Any more and I get serious gas and stomach pain. I may however be able to add in spinach and stay in ketosis? That would eliminate mg deficiency, ideally. Idk if I'll be able to complete the adaption but I'm hoping I wake up soon with boundless energy as they say. Today I got electrolytes back into my body and will continue from here on out. I took 400 mg of mag. 400 mg of potassium, and a lot of Celtic sea salt. Feeling better as im ready to sleep. The mag had zinc in it also.

I think daboss was referring to the mag and the omega 3 in salmon being really helpful.
-Dustin

Offline Haai

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 06, 2013, 01:29:30 pm »
You've probably already seen my post on the other thread that I wrote a couple of mins ago about spinach and oxalic acid.

I agree that the omega 3 in salmon is certainly helpful. I usually eat nothing but salmon as my source of flesh for about 1 week every month, when my beef runs out and I have to wait till the next monthly slaughter. I usually still have beef suet to last me the whole month though, otherwise I resort to home made coconut cream/milk and/or avocados for fat.

Offline LePatron7

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 06, 2013, 04:13:47 pm »
I think daboss was referring to the mag and the omega 3 in salmon being really helpful.

I was referring to the omega 3 content since suet can be very high in saturated fat.

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 06, 2013, 10:58:29 pm »
Magnesium and potassium work together in the body, and an imbalance in potassium can alter the bodies requirements for magnesium.

I highly suggest for anyone with concerns about mineral imbalances to get a hair analysis. They are fairly inexpensive and offer a view into the bodies tissue composition not available through blood testing. Though not always a direct representation of the tissue composition, it can offer a glimpse of possible imbalances, toxicities , or deficiencies.

My last one was taken a year ago. Magnesium levels were right on par after 3 years of raw paleo, but my potassium was through the roof high. This potassium/ magnesium inversion is something I have had since before raw paleo, and has not resolved.

Also my manganese and aluminum was through the roof, which sucks, but I have yet to know what to do about it. There is a lot of conflicting information regarding the subject.

On an other note, I tested deficient in zinc and selenium, which may be a more common occurrence than magnesium deficiency. I have had these chronic deficiencies going back to childhood, and millions of others have the same issues, but it is almost never properly diagnosis or addressed by the medical establishment.

Its common for pasture animals grazing on deficient soils to become depleted of nutrients. I have witnessed sheep with white muscle disease, which is an obvious sign of selenium deficiency. Even seemingly healthy animals that are grass fed could have mild deficiencies which would be passed on to whoever uses them as a primary food source.
A man who makes a beast of himself, forgets the pain of being a man.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk