Author Topic: Life with a doctor  (Read 36239 times)

Offline Dr. D

• Chief
    • View Profile
Life with a doctor
« on: June 28, 2013, 07:53:32 am »
Okay so I'm not REALLY a doctor, I just play one on the internet. If I were to be a doctor I would likely have my PhD in Orchestral conducting, with some variation, as those things get picky.

I started my nutrition journey after reading The Four Hour Body by Tim Ferris. I had been working out for the past 4 months daily, took my knowledge, gained from friends who were always in shape in school, (work hard, lift hard, eat carbs and LOTS of protein after a workout, etc. basically the stuff that doesn't work) and ran daily, lifted every other day, managed my meals, and only ever got as far as barely being able to see the inside definition of my pecs. Shortly after, I injured my knee and had to rest for a few months, found it difficult to find the motivation to start again, seeing as i barely got any results. Shortly after that, I picked up a book I saw was popular online, and read it cover to cover twice, how Tim supposedly barely slept, ate as much as he wanted, had massive energy, strength, lost 20 lbs. in a month without exercise, and gained 10 lbs of pure muscle in one month without anabolics. The rebel in me listened. I had to defy the odds. I talked with my awesome roommate who had been saying for the past few weeks he wanted to work out with me that I was going to switch to this diet, what he could expect and if he wanted to join and we could split groceries. He was in. We BOTH lost nearly 20 lbs (me 16, him 18) in one month, he continued being more restrictive than me, and went on to lose 25 lbs over the following two months, totaling a little over 40lbs in three months, never exercising, never starving himself. To hell with calorie counting.

I don't mind going against the grain. In fact, I've always enjoyed it a little. Controversy makes things interesting. When I told my immediate family about raw meat and how people are healing diseases left and right, they weren't too surprised (they know me well).

The rest of my family can't even get over that I feed my dogs raw meat, I think I'll hold off on telling them I do the same.

I've been on raw for about 6 weeks. I currently have been off coffee for 5 days. Since starting raw, I haven't "needed" more than 7 mg of Adderall on my worst of days, this is having 4 beers the night before with a nice sugary meal.. somewhat of a cheat/break. Before, I ate any of these following things: fruits(30%), veggies (40%), beans meat eggs   (30%), "healthy" grains were somewhat a part of my diet, but not very frequently (other than beans). Breakfast was usually quickly seared veggies with 3-4 eggs. Lunch was usually a salad with fruit, maybe a bit of meat to be easy to digest or possibly beans like chili or a fried bean dish. Dinner contained meat and grains like quinoa or farroh or rice. I didn't stray from bread for any other reason than it made me fat. No clue it zapped my energy. I would have approx 1 piece of "whole grain" bread per day.

That diet went on since I graduated college. My days since arriving back home were filled with a strong desire to sleep. I literally couldn't keep my eyes open for most of the day. When I could, I was somewhere else, mind racing all directions, tough to focus, impossible to listen to directions. I could simply state it as "hard." Dustin, listen. Sorry, it's hard. Wake up! Okay okay. 2 hours later, still asleep. Seeing as my dad and brother both have ADHD and its genetic, they figured I did too. Adderall sure as hell helped wake me up. I felt... normal. I didn't feel zooted or stimulated. Just normal. I could think. Stay awake. Be clear (kinda) in my head. I don't think its as much I changed, or that the drug changed, but rather that I grew. I realized that the drug induced a sort of euphoric state, where things are slightly better than they are. Music, work, conversation, driving, all most interesting and engaging. Suddenly, even the most bland of idea becomes cool and enticing. But that's not pushing my potential. That's not driving me forward. It causes me to be happy in the status quo. I need to find a way to stop.

For a year and a half I continued my "healthy" diet, seeking the pinnacle of health, always needing more supplements, finding something different to try. Until it hit me when my dad talked about my brother doing the same (finding more supplements, more healthy foods) for his drug recovery, I was seeking in the same way. Aren't we all though? Aren't we just trying to FEEL BETTER?? It really drilled home when I came to this forum and saw the mindset of elimination, rather than addition to diets. Dusty likey. Plant foods are inherently lacking, even though I based my diet around them, and was convinced that's the way our ancestors ate, I always wondered how the eskimos and other cold region people lived. Myself being of swedish/slavic descent has the cold region genes bred into me. I have a deep love of seafood, yet it never clicked, and I kept downing my spinach and beans and green drinks and herbs; "this is the way to be healthy," I thought. "This is what God intended: 'eat from any fruit in the garden,' and 'the lion will lay with the lamb'" But that was pre-flood.

(quick side note: whether or not you believe in the literalness of the bible, it still is a deep and wonderful account of humanity, filtered a little bit through Hebrew culture, and often you will see me make reference to it. I may or may not believe in the literalness of its historical account, but whether it really happened or not, I find no flaw in its philosophy, when filtered correctly with an understanding of Hebrew culture.)

So pre-flood, the world was intended to be a different place. The bible alludes to it being almost tropical-like conditions world wide. There have been scientific claims that long ago there was high oxygen content and more plant life. Well, humans could live on plants then. But post-flood? When the land to the Israelites is literally a desert. What must one do? Write a book (Leviticus) outlining all the new foods one can consume and use for sacrifice and how to do so. Damn its boring to read. But I digress.

God wants us to eat the animals. It's outlined in Leviticus. Also he says all fruits bearing seed and the seed. He said nothing about eating leaves. Bye bye spinach.

So here I am, 6 weeks in. I've had my med free days, and I didn't want to sleep all day. Quite awesome really. I'm also quitting coffee so that has to be taken into account. I am still unsure about going VLC, though I kinda naturally am, seeing as my appetite for meat has always been high. I'm guessing no more than 40-80g carbs per day, moving slightly less daily.

I have difficulty stopping delicious sugar foods that are in the house. Mom got these great seattle chocolates, 70% dark chocolate with coconut bits mixed in... YUM! Plus, grandma makes this AMAZING raspberry jam, I can take it by the spoonful. Those are about the only two I'm working off of. It's tough when they are nearby. I got my own fridge for my meat so I don't have to see it in their fridge as much and think about it, but the plant foods are in that one, which I have some daily.

If I have some time to live on the toilet I'll try GS's VCO detox. Sounds tough though.

I've been attempting Intermittent fasting and failing: our water supply cuts in and out, we are getting a new pump. I get dehydrated and tired and decide in my drunken stupor that sugar would be perfect for me, seeing as eating fats and proteins make me more thirsty. I want to try 48 hours without food. I have at least been able to get to 24 since starting RAW, fat keep me satiated for a long time. Quite different than the 4-6 hours I could go on plant foods before wanting a nap.

Not sure I feel stronger yet. I feel... extremely relaxed. Not tired. Not weaker. Just like I don't need to or want to use energy. I think it's due to eating too frequently. Tyler  says it's good to give your body a rest from digestion and I feel that way, since I become more relaxed after I eat. My sense of well-being has improved slightly. Paradoxically enough, I'm slightly disappointed that it hasn't improved more. But I also look at my eating habits and I haven't yet had more than about 2-3 days straight without a refined sugar. So maybe there is a lot to be thankful for.

However, for the first time in my life, my 6-pack is starting to show. Enough that I cast a shadow on myself finally. It's there. I think I may be in a healing cycle, hence the tiredness. When it passes and I feel better (as I'm sure I will) I may be a little arrogant and show-off.

Frequent foods: beef suet, pork back fat, lamb, I just got a deer roadkill, salmon 3-4 times a week.

My water source is from a natural aqueduct that has about 7.8 ph and high mineral content according to state drinking water standards, though I don't know the actual numbers or minerals.

Feel free to ask about anything. It's the internet, I have no shame here.

-Dustin

Trying to heal ADHD. Common symptoms: fatigue, impulsiveness, poor attention, no motivation.
Other side issues I'd like to get over: Acne, dandruff, tooth health (yellow, poor gums, gingivitis)

If ya ain't hungry enough to eat raw liver, ya ain't hungry enough.

We are all just doing the best we can, with what we know, at any given time.

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
Re: Life with a doctor
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2013, 08:32:27 am »
6 - pack.  You sure, you aren't getting too lean?
Aajonus suggests staying a bit overweight for health buffer and options.

My 12 year old boy who is too thin also shows his six pack.
Though I would rather he not show a six pack like his 10 year old brother who has plumped up readying for his growth spurt.

Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline Dr. D

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2013, 09:05:46 am »
6 - pack.  You sure, you aren't getting too lean?
Aajonus suggests staying a bit overweight for health buffer and options.

My 12 year old boy who is too thin also shows his six pack.
Though I would rather he not show a six pack like his 10 year old brother who has plumped up readying for his growth spurt.

I think when my veins show on my abdomen is too lean. 10-12% bodyfat I'd say is healthy for an athletic and fit young man, which is the early stages of a 6-pack showing. I'll post pics in a few days or so when I'm less bloated (from eating too many cherries while working). I'll happily accept the criticism that I may be too lean, but I highly doubt it.
-Dustin

Trying to heal ADHD. Common symptoms: fatigue, impulsiveness, poor attention, no motivation.
Other side issues I'd like to get over: Acne, dandruff, tooth health (yellow, poor gums, gingivitis)

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2013, 09:15:08 am »
Sorry for being a wanting to be fat alarmist.

I'm in a fattening kick right now supervising a terminally ill kidney cancer patient and his options for healing are narrow because he is too thin. (Went under my program when he was already thin.)  But after all the work I've done on him he is now supposed to just eat and sleep and gain weight.  With extra weight we can do plenty more things to shrink his big big kidney tumor. (vco detox, other fasts, temporary vlc diets).  In illness, I can understand what Aajonus was saying about suggesting people be a bit overweight by some 10 to 15%.

Welcome to the forum, I hope you achieve immense health strides.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

Offline Dr. D

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2013, 09:22:44 am »
Haha, you sound like my grandma "dont get too thin!" :P Thanks GS. I know exactly what you mean. Maybe it's my young ignorance but I've never had debilitating health issues and always been fairly athletic, so I don't worry or think too much about being bedridden and needing that extra fat. I've never seen extra fat as beneficial because I've never considered a scenario I'd be in to need it.
-Dustin

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2013, 09:29:02 am »
Accidents and injuries come to mind.  Breaking a bone for example.

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2013, 09:43:35 am »
i think as long as you are also maintaining muscle, its alright for summertime, but more fat then a six pack is optimal :)

Offline Barefoot Instincto

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2013, 10:09:54 am »
I don't think there is anything wrong with being very lean. I'm trying to get there myself and am succeeding. I think the key would be just to be lean, with a decent, functional, healthy amount of muscle. Your body can eat away at this for resources in times of great need. Resources that are best for healing of all types. It is much superior to a lump of fat to survive off of (even when lean, we have a huge amount of fat still stored within us and you also get much better at using the fat you do have). Being lean and having lots of muscle means being very healthy. Having a blump of fat all over you is generally less unhealthy, because if you eat right, exercise right, it'd come off anyway and always stay off. This means your body, under normal, healthy circumstance, is trying to get nice and very lean.

I wonder how people got the impression you can survive better off of being overweight than you can by being trim, healthy, with a dense amount of muscle resource? If you have the proper condition, there should never be any reason to put on fat.

I wouldn't argue however that people lacking any amount of real muscle wouldn't benefit from being a small bit overweight, as opposed to the alternative (wasted away).

Offline Dr. D

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2013, 02:12:23 pm »
And that's my main concern. Honestly, I could care less about how I look as long as i know I'm healthy and feel good. If I don't lose another pound I'd still be content. If I don't heal my body however, that's another issue. I don't want acne. I have these weird yellow plaque balls that form in my throat and build up and come out smelling nasty. That's a sign to me that something is off. When a 23 year old man that looks physically fit can't wake up in the morning and has no energy, that's not right. The rest is workable. Healing is my priority. A 6 pack that happens just as a byproduct, ill take that as this is how I'm supposed To look at my healthiest.
-Dustin

Offline Dr. D

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2013, 04:47:15 am »
Travelling is tough. Visiting grandma who would probably have a heart attack of she knew I ate raw meat. So I try to eat as little as possible. Had a dry bland apple last night, couldnt finish it. Had a banana this morning and some almond butter, honey, jam, and butter, all cooked sadly. It tasted good so I figured I'd have a bit. Not sure if eating something bad or fasting is better when you have a whole truck to load. I figured the carbs would help my energy, as I'm not ketogenic Yet.

I'm 7 days off coffee and I don't feel as energetic as when I do have it, but I expect that to change. I'll give it time.

No salt or iodine or lemon for my water seems weird. I can tell a difference I think. It refreshes and energizes me daily.

I'm considering fasting and how to get benefits out of that. For me, going to one meal a day was quite a feat. I have heard mixed things here, if one day of not eating will pause digestion shortly enough to provide more healing or if it has to be 3 days no food. Insight?

I had raw kidney for the first time. I found it more mild than liver, both of which I find enjoyable. Especially the after effects of organs.

I've been considering pyroluria like PP was talking about. I don't have more than 1 of the 7 things he listed (white spots on nails) but I wonder if I'm zinc deficient because my brother told me adderall blocks zinc uptake. Looking into it a bit.

I went two days no adderall then had to drive and was getting tired. Had about 5 mg, which two weeks ago I remember needing almost 15 for the same drive. Step positive imo.
-Dustin

Offline bookittyrun

• Bear Hunter
  • smart enough to play dumb...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2013, 01:13:02 pm »
personally, i have (almost) always been lean, and athletic.  low body fat percentage was always the norm for me, until my early thirties.  even though still active, i started accumulating some "extra" around my midsection, my 6 pack was becoming more keg-like...  exercise and higher intensity activity, for multiple years, would not remove it... i kept gaining weight.  considering my height and frame, lean seems the better, more healthy way to be, for myself.  i feel this was validated when, during the course of my "raw" transition, i leaned out again.  no real change in lifestyle, no crazy dieting...  still active, my body seemed to have readjusted itsself to be what was healthy for me...  i am convinced that what was gathering over my belt were the toxins and crap contained in the foods i was eating for most of my life.  i'm glad to see it go.  pursue clean, healthy foods and lifestyle, let your body readjust.  you'll know when you reach a point of "contentment", your body will tell you!  then it's just a matter of maintaining that... 

best wishes on your endeavors, mentally and physically... 
"it'll be just like a sleepover, only we'll be sweaty and covered with grease!"  spongebob squarepants

Offline bookittyrun

• Bear Hunter
  • smart enough to play dumb...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2013, 01:19:07 pm »
oh, i'd like to mention:
salmon is good...  shellfish is yummy, too...

these items always make me feel mentally "crisp"...
i think you've noticed daboss's journal, too...  good read.
"it'll be just like a sleepover, only we'll be sweaty and covered with grease!"  spongebob squarepants

Offline Dr. D

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2013, 01:36:13 pm »
I have. In fact, I think daboss and I are dealing with similar issues re mental health more than physical health. His seem more severe imo. But the. again, I could be crazy and don't even know it ;)

Don't even get me started on seafood haha. All I ate today was 2 bananas and a small jar of pickles. I'm going to try a water fast for a little. If I can only consume water all day tomorrow that will be the smallest amount of food I've consumed for 48 hours in my life. I feel so bratty knowing that ove never had to go that long without food, like an over priveliged rich kid. Ah well, time to grow up. Must prove to internet peoples that I can not eat. O0
-Dustin

Offline Dr. D

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2013, 02:45:29 pm »
I think it's time: I picked up some raw VCO from the health food store today. I'll do Gs's VCO detox and finish off the last of my jam And chocolate cravings. I also suspect my acne is a symptom of Candida or some yeast or something in my gut.

I have to drive a bit in the morning tomorrow so I won't eat but I would like to start and get on with it. I'll take a picture of my acne before to see if it improves. I don't auspect over two or three days of detox, but this may be the ignition to healing it.
-Dustin

Offline Dr. D

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2013, 01:17:14 pm »
I'm beginning to think I'm either ketogenic already or very close. My former diet was pretty LC already, and I didn't stray from fat/fatty cuts like chicken thighs and steak. I'm also curious about a potential issue with plant foods I may have.

Today I tried starting the VCO detox. I only got to 3 doses before nearly puking it back up, and they were small and spread throughout the day. My morning dose was not appealing, considering the meal size I had yesterday. I tried it anyway, and my body found it extremely bitter and repulsive. I went to work for a few hours and felt almost nauseous the whole time, including that i had salt and lemon water (1.5 liters), so it wasn't dehydration. I didn't feel that bad other than in my stomach. When I first started raw, I also knew I was supposed to have a lot of fat so I found it where I could. My body had a few bouts of diarrhea for the first few weeks and for the past few weeks I've only passed solid stool.

More on plant issues later, ill try going zc for the next few days, upping my organ intake to compensate. I like organs now that I'm used to them.

I won't continue the vco detox but I found another thread where someone else had plant issues, so it was suggested to try an animal fat detox. Nothing was ever noted on it, so ill continue my 100% raw fat diet with suet for at least another day or two. I will suspect that I already cleaned my gut if nothing severe comes out, but I did feel some moving and my gut feels a bit... Ready. Like something is going to run out. Haha.

I lost count of my days without coffee, feeling better daily. 2 days with 0 mg of adderall, still feeling fairly motivated and not like I want to sleep all day like I used to without it. It's nice. I feel relaxed often but can work hard without thinking "i have to get out of here" the whole time like I used to. That's amazing.

I started a ferment of asparagus, carrots, onions, ginger, and radish. Also, I read someone asking about pickled herring from blue bay if it was heated and it wasn't, so it motivated me to try my own pickling with RACV. I had some wild sole left over so I put onions, garlic, pepper, RACV, sea salt, sole, and water in a jar And put it next to my high meat jar on the fridge. does anybody know if you're supposed to air pickling jars or should it pressurise and ferment that way? Either way, I love that herring so I'm hoping this comes out the same.
-Dustin

Offline Dr. D

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2013, 01:20:00 am »
I'm now over a week without Adderall. No longer ZC. I had a severe reaction to 400 mg of magnesium and 99 mg of potassium, and it didn't help my headache after a week of ZC. I'm going to assume I need more seafood and organs before I'll attempt it again in the winter. So for now I'll eat fruit during the summer and enjoy the season.

I pulled the trigger on orgonite. http://orgonix23.com/ I used that site if anybody is interested. I got 12 'towerbusters' and will let you all know of the effects, if any. I am also going to tell my brother that I got them, but I won't tell him when/where I hide one. I want him to just be aware and tell me if/when he experiences anything. Kind of a blind test.

I'm also going to up my iodine intake. I purchased 5% solution of lugol's. I have been taking approx. 2-3 mg of nascent iodine daily and can tell a benefit. Somewhat cleansing.

Also, I purchased Vit. K2. I'll start taking that since I eat so much liver I'm sure I have enough A and D, but I need some K2 to mobilize it. I was thinking of doing vitamin butter (kerrygold) but its so expensive. Plus, I'm not sure how dairy is for me. I'm starting to notice negative effects when I take it. I had some raw goat milk the other day and I felt lethargic with a slight upset stomach. Perhaps lactose issues?

My acne is slowly but surely clearing up. I think it was better on ZC last week than it is now. So that's something to reconsider. I think my teeth were better on ZC also. I really do want to reattempt full keto-adaptation. I feel like my body may be suited towards carnivory. I had always had a strong inclination towards meat, seafood in particular. Never been into candies that are made from pure, refined, cane sugar (pixie sticks, jolly ranchers, etc.) I've preferred chocolate, which is mostly fat. That may be another indicator of my body's enjoyment and desire for fat. Or I could just enjoy chocolate!

When winter comes around I'll restart ZC/VLC (whatever terminology you prefer, I mean dropping out plant foods). Perhaps I'll align my switch with the end of the Jewish holiday sukkot, or festival of the harvest, to represent that plants are harvested and we done eatin them.
-Dustin

Offline LePatron7

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2013, 08:47:52 am »
Also, I purchased Vit. K2. I'll start taking that since I eat so much liver I'm sure I have enough A and D, but I need some K2 to mobilize it.

What brand did you buy and what potency does it have? I'm using the one from Carlson labs, 5 mg per pill. I actually just found it REALLY cheap from this website in case you're interested - https://discountmultivitamins.com/en/shop/vitamin-k/vitamin-k2-5-mg-180-caps.html

I'm also going to up my iodine intake. I purchased 5% solution of lugol's. I have been taking approx. 2-3 mg of nascent iodine daily and can tell a benefit. Somewhat cleansing.

Keep an eye on your detox symptoms, extra salt might be needed. You might also find the companion nutrients to the iodine protocol useful - http://www.rawpaleodietforum.com/general-discussion/mega-dosing-iodine/msg109283/#msg109283
Disclaimer: I was told I was misdiagnosed over 10 years ago, and I haven't taken any medication in over a decade.

Offline Dr. D

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2013, 09:24:51 am »
I bought the exact same bottle of K2 except I got it from amazon for $18.

I have all those supplements at home so I will experiment lightly. Like I said, last time I did that much magnesium I overdosed. I'm nervous about supplements and as I get back into the carb realm, I know I may need more common doses, but at least I'll learn more and have a better shot at zero carb later. Good suggestion.
-Dustin

Offline LePatron7

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2013, 10:33:19 am »
Did you get 180 or 60 for $18?

Also what form of magnesium did you take? Most forms are poorly absorbed and cause diahrea. Magnesium glycinate is better absorbed.
Disclaimer: I was told I was misdiagnosed over 10 years ago, and I haven't taken any medication in over a decade.

Offline Dr. D

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2013, 11:00:21 am »
I double checked. It was for $37 that I got 180. Ya yours is a killer deal.

My magnesium says it's glyconate on the front but under the facts in the back it has magnesium oxide in parenthesis. Is that correct?
-Dustin

Offline Dr. D

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2013, 06:44:44 am »
I have my 5% lugol's iodine solution. My brother refuses to take it, saying its toxic and can be dangerous in those doses, he prefers what he's read about nascent iodine and takes that instead. I just get tired of trying to mega-dose with nascent, counting out 40 drops. Since others (lex specifically) have had success with 5% lugol's I decided to give it a shot. So far I'm doing one drop every other day. Just planning on starting slowly to track as best I can changes.

Also, I spent the last 3-4 days snacking on ice cream in the evening.  My dad got this tough to resist coconut ice cream, had to indulge. I also had a few drinks with good friends that I hadn't seen in a long time. Oh well, I learned my lesson and the days got tougher one after another. Back to 100% raw today.

I'm still not sure what to do about being keto/VLC/ZC (not sure what to label it). I mean, going pure from the animal kingdom. As I eat mostly raw animals, with a few fruits, I'm not feeling the oomph I think I should be. My muscles don't feel as strong and full of energy as they should be. My head is more clear, but as a 23 year old fit man, I feel like I should be ready just to go lift something heavy just for fun. I don't know if it's low glucose stores in my muscles.

For my carb intake, I eat about 50-100g/day.

Lamb/salmon/liver have been my choices for protein the past few weeks, cycling them daily, eating about 5-6 oz each.

Fat I try to keep as high as possible ranging from 3-7 oz. depending on the day.

The lower I go on my carb intake, the better I feel, however that is only short term. I try to keep carbs below 30-50g/day and I feel good for a day or two, then I feel weaker than before until I do a big recarb load. Which that recarb loads takes a day or two to feel good again. Then I only feel good for a day or two until I lower my carbs back down. I didn't really set out to do a CKD, but as my instinct would have it, it's what's happened. However I don't enjoy it and don't see benefits from it. I am more often than not fatigued, or looking for something else, or not sure if I need fat, protein, or carbs.

The other issue is that psychologically, (I don't think it's candida) I desire more sweets when I have a few. I can stop at a few most days, but other times I give in and have too much. Instinct? Not sure. I was able to tell myself to go 100% fat for 3 days and did. Then I added in protein for another few days before stopping my ZC experiment, due to sore joints and needing to perform at my physical job better. The physical stuff is over and I may need to retry ZC because I almost feel like carbs are messing me up. Both physically and mentally.

I'm back on Adderall, my work performance was becoming terrible and I couldn't maintain. Still no coffee. I think coffee uped my carb cravings so I will stay off. I seem to have better control now that I think about it. I may use Adderall through another attempt at keto-adaptation and then when I feel more energetic I'll taper off. What I've read on a few other keto-sites is Adderall can help deplete the glycogen stores more quickly, being a stimulant. I know some on the forum may disapprove of the method, but at this point, the ends justify the means for me, since no other way has worked.

I feel like even on the small amount of fruit I eat, my teeth are doing worse. My acne has stopped improving. It's not worse, but not better. ZC was clearing it up rapidly.

It's tough to decide on ZC for summer, having all the delicious seasonal fruits around. The health benefits seem to want to point that way, so maybe I'll reattempt it here in a few days.
-Dustin

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2013, 09:49:18 am »
Still no coffee. I think coffee uped my carb cravings so I will stay off

Depending on which study you read, there are reports of blood sugar elevation and release of insulin connected with drinking coffee. Coffee does not affect me with cravings, although I don't drink it anyway.

Another culprit that might trigger cravings after coffee consumption might be molds that grow during the drying of the beans. I have a local coffee roaster that handles very clean beans that are reportedly mold-free. On other threads, there is a discussion of raw coffee. If you are experimenting with coffee because of its possible beneficial effect on ADHD, you might want to try non-moldy or raw beans.
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

Offline Dr. D

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2013, 12:38:53 am »
I'm saying I'm done with coffee. Haven't had any for weeks and I used to have a few cups a day. I don't think its necessary to help my ADHD. It may worsen it. And we've always used yuban, I'm sure there's mold.
-Dustin

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2013, 12:40:37 am »
Back in my years of ill-health pre-RPD diet, the only thing that would make me feel normal was a cup of instant coffee. The trouble was that the effect only lasted c.30 minutes.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2013, 01:51:51 am »
coffee, regardless of quality, can wreak havoc on the endocrine system and blood sugar as well as the mineral balance in the body.  good on you for taking it out of your diet. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk