Author Topic: Hi Everyone, Here from Arkansas. Starting Paleo This Friday! Any Advice Welcome!  (Read 4553 times)

Offline Photo_Girl870

• Forager
    • View Profile
Hello Everyone. My name is Katie. I am really glad I found this site and am looking forward to researching all the information and advice in the forum! I guess I'll start a little about why I'm here and appreciate everyone who makes it through and responds!

I'm a 24 year old female, I've been overweight my entire life! Well, except when I was born up until I was 5! ha! Anyway, back in November 2011 I had a life changing realization that I was done being fat. This came near the end of my 4 year relationship with my ex. So, I started transitioning from eating like crap to eating healthier and becoming active. Since November of 2011 I have lost 100 pounds! I started at 315lbs and am now around 215. I am so far maintaining that weight. With my lifestyle change I changed the way I ate and viewed food, I mainly counted calories but then stopped because I felt that I was at a point that I was able to eat without eating because I was sad or bored or just because I felt like eating. Within the time of my lifestyle changed I did Paleo for about 2 months and lost 20 pounds. I got really bored with it and stopped but I was pleased with my results and felt so good. I just gave up because I ate the same stuff every day.... Literally!

Now since I have been maintaining my weight of 215 and not losing (and thankfully NOT gaining) I am trying to get 40 more pounds off of my body! I want to start paleo because I also want to start transforming my body by incorporating weights into my exercise routine. I have always only done cardio and it's time for change.

I am starting Paleo this coming Friday (7-12-2013) and I am nervous. I am a part time student and I also work part time and I have a pretty restrict budget for food. I am coming here for advice on how to transition into paleo with what foods, how often to eat, how to do cost effective meals, and whether or not to eat 6 small meals per day or 3. I remember when I did Paleo for 2 months I ate 6 times per day. It was pretty difficult to do because I constantly was munching which to me was a lot of work. I did feel good though and was never hungry.  Since I am starting in a couple of days I'm mainly wondering what foods I should start with. I have a list so far of Chicken breasts, tuna, Oranges, Almond milk and frozen fruits so I can do smoothies, almonds, broccoli, and so far that's all I have. 

I am sure there is more to learn about Paleo but from my basic knowledge is that it is all non processed foods, farily low carb, high fat, and high protein. I am not too concerned with any of those (Just yet) until I learn more but I'm not going to restrict my carb intake as I hear a lot of people are strict on carbs with Paleo. I've just made the conclusion from what I gathered about the lifestyle is that you get your carbs from mostly fruits. I by no means am 100% educated on all the details and feel as if the lifestyle is open to interpretation, so if anyone feels what I've said is completely wrong I'd like to reiterate that this is just what I've concluded from what I've read on the lifestyle.

So, with all that said I hope that I get some advice from the knowledgeable members of this forum and I look forward to reading other's posts!
« Last Edit: July 11, 2013, 08:55:47 am by TylerDurden »

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
Welcome.

Two meals per days (lunch and dinner) seems to be what works best for most people. And the good news for you is: the more you eat (raw paleo foods, of course), the more quickly you'll loose weight until you reach a normal weight. Some obese people have lost up to 1 kg per day while eating everything they like and as much as they want - within a limit of two meals per day.

By the way, the "low carb" ideology has nothing to do with raw paleo nutrition because our paleo ancestors were extremely unlikely to have the slightest idea of what carbohydrates, proteins and fats are.  ;)
« Last Edit: July 11, 2013, 05:08:16 am by Iguana »
Cause and effect are distant in time and space in complex systems, while at the same time there’s a tendency to look for causes near the events sought to be explained. Time delays in feedback in systems result in the condition where the long-run response of a system to an action is often different from its short-run response. — Ronald J. Ziegler

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Welcome to the forum! Read the 1st post in all the following threads:-

http://www.rawpaleodietforum.com/important-info-for-newbies/

They'll provide a good deal of info for a newbie. I should add, as a note of caution,  that we are a RAW palaeo forum. Cooked paleodiets are healthier than most other diets but raw palaeo diets are even better, with a particular benefit in terms of weight-loss, and most of us here have done far better on rawpalaeodiets than cooked-palaeo. Raw diets in general are famous for weight-loss, in fact.

"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline svrn

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
a high fat low carb diet is the best way to lose fat as carbs are what make you fat.

I wouldnt eat even organic chicken unless its soy free.

Doing shorter more explosive excercise is better for burning fat. Sprint instead of running.
-----------

Offline svrn

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
and the almond milk probably isnt raw.

you should also add raw eggs for fat.
-----------

Offline LePatron7

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Welcome.

I lost quite a bit of weight eating raw, maybe 50 pounds. I now have a slim physique with some muscle tone.

I eat everything raw. Lots of raw animal fats from grass fed animals, pastured eggs, some honey, and various fruits and veggies.

I also weight train 3-4x per week, and regularly do cardio.

However I lost all the weight before I started doing exercise. So diet alone can make a huge difference in weight.
Disclaimer: I was told I was misdiagnosed over 10 years ago, and I haven't taken any medication in over a decade.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
Mostly ignore the advice of everyone else, beyond noting what works for a wide variety of people and looking for some commonalities (focus much more on what they do and their results than their opinions, including my own), and find your own path via extensive research and self-experiment.

Ask a dozen people what to eat, you'll get a dozen different answers.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Online goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
We are the RAW paleo diet forum.
The cooked paleo dieters are at www.cavemanforum.com
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline svrn

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
celery juice has negative calories so fershly making some yourself will help you lose weight. Also lots of pineapple helps to break up the hardened fat for easier weight loss.

smaller more frequent meals are also better.
-----------

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk