Author Topic: When to apply heat or cold to an injury?  (Read 5501 times)

Offline Dr. D

• Chief
    • View Profile
When to apply heat or cold to an injury?
« on: August 08, 2013, 12:01:33 pm »
I hurt my ankle and essentially bruised and slightly strained it. I've been applying cold for the last 4 days since I feel heat coming off it. I was told by a few acupuncturists that when there is heat, you apply cold, and if there is no heat, but pain, you want to apply heat to get the flow there.

Maybe it's because I haven't taken perfect rest other than the first two days, but I have to keep working and so I limped my way around the following two. The inflammation feels pretty bad and I'm just wondering if the ice is stagnating it. I've soaked for 15-20 min at least 2 times a day since the incident. It is very slightly swollen and a little bit purple in spots. It hurts more than it appears to be bad.

Should I try heat? I read someone post (don't remember) that cold wouldn't have been a paleo option and only stops the body from bringing nutrients and as long as I'm eating right, heat would be a better option, as that increases circulation. Truth?
-Dustin

Trying to heal ADHD. Common symptoms: fatigue, impulsiveness, poor attention, no motivation.
Other side issues I'd like to get over: Acne, dandruff, tooth health (yellow, poor gums, gingivitis)

If ya ain't hungry enough to eat raw liver, ya ain't hungry enough.

We are all just doing the best we can, with what we know, at any given time.

Offline bookittyrun

• Bear Hunter
  • smart enough to play dumb...
    • View Profile
Re: When to apply heat or cold to an injury?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2013, 02:10:30 pm »
i have little skinny chicken ankles, that are prone to strains and sprains.  i tweaked my ankle hard 1 1/2 weeks ago when i ate shit at the skate park.  here's my regimen:  for the first few days (4 days should be ample), i apply cold (ice, actually),  massage tender spots, elevate (above heart) for 45 mins - 1 hour, and wrap to compress until next session.  repeat several times daily.  take an ibuprofen or two to help with pain and swelling if you'd like.  applied heat in the first few days is not good, the cold, elevation, and wrapping is all an effort to reduce the swelling and bruising (heat will amplify these).  after 4-ish days, soak in warm water with epsom salt for 30-45 mins, a few times a day, continue to elevate and wrap.  usually by day 3 or 5, i feel worlds better (standing and walking are bearable), i stop wrapping after about a week.  definitely take it easy but i'm never in a position to rest completely.  i'm expecting to be pain free and biking again any day now...  1 1/2 - 2 weeks tends to be the term for me before i feel complete recovery...  hope this helps.

food for thought:  a complete "paleo" option may have rendered your injured ancestor as being cheetah food.  apply the cold, it helps...
"it'll be just like a sleepover, only we'll be sweaty and covered with grease!"  spongebob squarepants

Offline Dr. D

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2013, 12:53:19 am »
Quite true, injury often left them high and dry, except for when the tribe would watch out for each other.

I meant paleo as in, procedure for health. Maybe there was something I never heard of! Thanks and surprisingly, that's the exact thing I did. I iced for the first 3-4 days and just last night I added epsom salt to cold, not iced, water and soaked. +1 for E.S.P. or some crazy voodoo stuff.
-Dustin

Trying to heal ADHD. Common symptoms: fatigue, impulsiveness, poor attention, no motivation.
Other side issues I'd like to get over: Acne, dandruff, tooth health (yellow, poor gums, gingivitis)

Offline LePatron7

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2013, 01:11:15 am »
I've been looking into manganese deficiency as I had painful tendons from exercise. I think I've read that it's essential for tendons, joints, and even muscles. I also saw on Nutrition Data grass fed beef and lamb is very low in manganese.
Disclaimer: I was told I was misdiagnosed over 10 years ago, and I haven't taken any medication in over a decade.

Offline Dr. D

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2013, 01:22:32 am »
Well this was a dumbass move I did and jumped off stairs in the dark and landed on my heel. Its a mix of bruise and sprain. I normally don't get injured easily. I wonder if a slight increase in manganese would help the healing?
-Dustin

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2013, 04:30:18 am »
Walk barefoot and don't land on your heels. Instead land on your pads behind the toes. You will find that if you walk barefoot and land on your heels you can actually feel a shudder go from your heels straight to the brain. I have read that this shudder actually affects it's functioning. Also no heels above 1" in height etc.
http://www.losethebackpain.com/blog/2012/03/16/worst-back-pain-shoes/

Walking barefoot is not practical until you have been doing it for awhile so it is important to start practicing ASAP. Your feet will acclimatize. Walking on dirt or sand is amazing! You ground yourself which has a wonderful effect on your blood and thus your body.

Ghandi was prescribed by his Vaidyas (Ayurvedic Doctors) being buried in the sand for his illnesses related to his fasting and long walks.
Cheers
Al

Offline Dr. D

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2013, 06:27:42 am »
I have been practicing barefoot for about a month now and LOVE it. Yes avoiding the heel is important. I got this injury in the dark with shoes while out with friends and alcohol may have been involved. :p

I've noticed staying barefoot helps recovery, shoes raise inflammation so fast it's scary.
-Dustin

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2013, 06:53:45 am »
I think what your looking for is a prescription for time and patience....

you're welcome :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk