Author Topic: Best Raw Jerky Ever  (Read 5382 times)

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Best Raw Jerky Ever
« on: August 24, 2013, 09:03:12 am »
I've been experimenting with making raw jerky for a while, and the dehydrator I was using just wasn't cutting it...even on a low setting would get the meat too hot and dry it out too fast for my liking.

So I took the racks off its base and set them over top of a fan, and OMG, I've been making the best tasting stuff ever.

Of course the fact that my last sheep was a very plump and rich flavored Shetland.

I have been taking the fatty cuts and laying it out in strips, then letting fan out for at least 24 hours. The fat will begin to melt as the red meat drys, so after a day of drying the flavor is brought out, and it has a tender chewiness covered in a creamy fattiness that is hard to describe.

« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 09:17:29 am by sabertooth »
A man who makes a beast of himself, forgets the pain of being a man.

Offline bookittyrun

• Bear Hunter
  • smart enough to play dumb...
    • View Profile
Re: Best Raw Jerky Ever
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2013, 09:16:15 am »
why not take some pics, and post in the recipe forum?

i've had decent results with rabbit jerky, cures in about 5 days in the fridge...  but it's not quite perfect...  still brainstorming a better way of prepping the meat for a more "even" dehydration.  if the method you propose is working, i'd like to try!
"it'll be just like a sleepover, only we'll be sweaty and covered with grease!"  spongebob squarepants

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2013, 09:21:45 am »
sabertooth, thanks for this, I have the shittiest living situation for aging meat well, but this might work, sweet!

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2013, 05:22:32 am »
I would like to post some pics, but I haven't been able to format them over from my E-Mail, I had always used my EXs Photobucket account in the past....

I'll get it going soon, especially now that I am out slaughtering.... it would be nice to share some of the explicit images of carnage.

It would be perfect for you to try Jessica.... I placed everything on top of the fridge with the fan laying flat, propped up slightly to allow air to flow from the bottom up, with the racks setting on top of the fan.

Even when heaped full of meat there inst any unpleasant smell and the constant air flow keeps bugs away.

Offline Dr. D

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2013, 05:43:38 am »
imgur.com is very easy
-Dustin

Trying to heal ADHD. Common symptoms: fatigue, impulsiveness, poor attention, no motivation.
Other side issues I'd like to get over: Acne, dandruff, tooth health (yellow, poor gums, gingivitis)

If ya ain't hungry enough to eat raw liver, ya ain't hungry enough.

We are all just doing the best we can, with what we know, at any given time.

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2013, 07:19:55 am »

I throw the neck bone in to age and dry out a bit, then knaw off the jerky meat in a savage mannor.

[

Offline bookittyrun

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2013, 11:06:03 am »
i found a link for mr. rooker's $10 dehydrator...  i don't have it on me now, but it's in my journal.  i'm going to give that a shot next weekend, we can compare notes... 

thanks for the pics!
"it'll be just like a sleepover, only we'll be sweaty and covered with grease!"  spongebob squarepants

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2013, 09:53:44 am »
I've seen lexes dehydrator, but air drying has a different effect.

By not heating, the meat is aged as it drys.

The air flow provides the meat much more oxygen, which makes really good HIGH jerky.

The neck meat in the photo got a mildly high taste, which is better than any other high meat I have yet made.

I recommend pre aging the meat in the fridge for at least a week for a richer flavor.

Offline van

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2013, 09:57:51 am »
Any thoughts about the amount of air borne dust or whatever that the fan style blows over the meat? Just wondering for I've seen that used in marketing dehydrators before. 

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2013, 10:06:22 am »
Not sure about dust, the house I live in is very clean, perhaps there is pet dander and whatnot, but nothing that I would think to be problematic.

I have heard of hunters hanging meat between box fans and AC filters.

Offline bookittyrun

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2013, 10:48:13 am »
hmm...  i didn't think of the "low heat vs. air dry" scenario...  it may be interesting to try both methods!

sabertooth, you mentioned how the fat attached to the lamb meat made for a good texture and flavor, do you feel this fat content is necessary for the system you've devised to work well?  just curious, since the rabbit i plan to make jerky with is a fairly lean animal...  most of the meat is just that, muscle...

Offline bookittyrun

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2013, 10:50:29 am »
also, i have yet to "man up" to the high meats...  is this truly what's created with your system?

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2013, 11:28:36 am »
hmm...  i didn't think of the "low heat vs. air dry" scenario...  it may be interesting to try both methods!

sabertooth, you mentioned how the fat attached to the lamb meat made for a good texture and flavor, do you feel this fat content is necessary for the system you've devised to work well?  just curious, since the rabbit i plan to make jerky with is a fairly lean animal...  most of the meat is just that, muscle...

No.... Fat meat isn't necessary for air dried jerky. Most people advise against using fatty meat because fat will become rancid in jerky after a few days.

That being said I am a fat addict and love the flavor of the creamy jerky, that I will eat before it ever has the chance to take on a rancid taste.

also, i have yet to "man up" to the high meats...  is this truly what's created with your system?

No.. You don't have to let it become highmeat.

I use pre-aged meats and cut it real thick, in order to give it the quality of aged meat.

If you wish, you could  use fresh lean meat cut thin, and dry with the fan on high setting.
This way it may only take a few hours to dry, not long enough for the meat to go HIGH.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk