Author Topic: Salted high meat  (Read 5550 times)

Offline LePatron7

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Salted high meat
« on: September 03, 2013, 11:48:02 am »
Hey everyone.

So we all know about high meat and its many benefits.

I want to try fermenting some meat but adding some salt to it. I assume this would significantly modify the types of bacteria that grow, just like it does when making natural ferments (ie. pickles, sauerkraut).

Anyone have any experience with this?
Disclaimer: I was told I was misdiagnosed over 10 years ago, and I haven't taken any medication in over a decade.

Offline Dr. D

• Chief
    • View Profile
Re: Salted high meat
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2013, 12:03:44 pm »
No experience for high meat, but I think salt kills all bacteria, does it not? Iodine allegedly kills only the bad bacteria but I am not certain; I've tried mixing my high meat with my iodine intake and have trouble differentiating between the boost that high meat gives and the boost iodine gives.

I've salted some salmon and left it for a day to dry at room temp, it was delicious but not high.

I've only done two high meat jars: one with liver, which I love, and have continued adding meat for two months so far. The other with only lamb "boneless stew" which after one month turned to smell very much life pure feces, which I could not even get near my mouth, so I gave to the dogs. It may be amazing because they love it, but I'm not certain. Neither had salt. I hypothesize salt would dry it out more... so make sure you have lots of juice, blood, whatever it is in there.

and please, let us know the results.
-Dustin

Trying to heal ADHD. Common symptoms: fatigue, impulsiveness, poor attention, no motivation.
Other side issues I'd like to get over: Acne, dandruff, tooth health (yellow, poor gums, gingivitis)

If ya ain't hungry enough to eat raw liver, ya ain't hungry enough.

We are all just doing the best we can, with what we know, at any given time.

Offline LePatron7

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2013, 04:18:07 am »
So I heavily salted some GF beef and left it outside in a jar. It has been 2 days and the meat has absolutely no smell with the lid removed. Tomorrow I plan to eat a little bit.
Disclaimer: I was told I was misdiagnosed over 10 years ago, and I haven't taken any medication in over a decade.

Offline LePatron7

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2013, 06:10:20 am »
I actually had a little piece today. It was alright. A little dry. No taste, no smell.

Offline Dr. D

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2013, 11:14:25 am »
Its my understanding that room temp high meat takes a week to age for the benefits of mood and energy boost to occur. I want to know if or when you experience these boosts. My guess is it wont happen. But that's just a guess.
-Dustin

Trying to heal ADHD. Common symptoms: fatigue, impulsiveness, poor attention, no motivation.
Other side issues I'd like to get over: Acne, dandruff, tooth health (yellow, poor gums, gingivitis)

If ya ain't hungry enough to eat raw liver, ya ain't hungry enough.

We are all just doing the best we can, with what we know, at any given time.

Offline LePatron7

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2013, 11:30:37 am »
Its my understanding that room temp high meat takes a week to age for the benefits of mood and energy boost to occur. I want to know if or when you experience these boosts. My guess is it wont happen. But that's just a guess.

Well it's actually at outdoor temp, south florida outdoor temp.

I can't say I noticed an energy boost. However I'm sure there's bacteria fermenting from the popping when I opened the jar.

Offline bookittyrun

• Bear Hunter
  • smart enough to play dumb...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2013, 02:26:33 am »
if you close the lid indoors (a/c air temp 74-78), leave outside (85-95), then bring back inside to open, i would expect a small 'pop'...  the air in the jar has expanded?
"it'll be just like a sleepover, only we'll be sweaty and covered with grease!"  spongebob squarepants

Offline LePatron7

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2013, 02:29:03 am »
if you close the lid indoors (a/c air temp 74-78), leave outside (85-95), then bring back inside to open, i would expect a small 'pop'...  the air in the jar has expanded?

It's possible. But it went from inside to outside only once and stayed out there. It continually makes a popping sound.

Offline bookittyrun

• Bear Hunter
  • smart enough to play dumb...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2013, 02:38:42 am »
curious.

in 6th grade we did an experiment, we placed garbage food items in a jar, stretched some balloon material over the opening, wrapped around the edge and sealed with a rubber band, and left the jars on the window sill.  this was to show that as food degraded, bacterial decomposition created gasses that would bubble up the balloon covering.  more of a visual demonstration than an experiment... 

perhaps there's not enough salt to kill off all of the bacteria, only what's on the surface?  fish and meats that are salted for preservation are usually heavily done, rubbing copious quantities into the meat, and allowing it to dry completely to remove all moisture.  i have the feeling this is not what you've done, so i think some bacteria is working in the jar.  maybe see what happens if the jar is left alone for a week or two...
"it'll be just like a sleepover, only we'll be sweaty and covered with grease!"  spongebob squarepants

Offline LePatron7

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2013, 02:48:08 am »
perhaps there's not enough salt to kill off all of the bacteria, only what's on the surface? 

The way fermented veggies works is adding unprocessed salt to clean water, and placing certain veggies in the salt water to ferment.

Certain types of bacteria survive, which is the point of adding the salt. It ensures only certain strains replicate. Essentially I'm trying to mimic that process with vegetables with meat.

Offline RawpaleoHealthdiet

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2015, 04:58:51 pm »
Any success?
Twitter.com/healthdiets

My blog
http://freedomforcreation.posterous.com/

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk