Author Topic: Vice article featuring Me  (Read 209636 times)

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Vice article featuring Me
« Reply #300 on: June 07, 2016, 10:13:11 pm »
The Mens Health Magazine article may be published after all.......

Just got this in the inbox
 Good afternoon. I am a fact-checker for Men's Health Magazine working on our September Issue in which you are featured in an interview with writer(****)

Would you please look over the following and make sure it is accurate?

Thank you for your time,

******************************************************************************************************
Derek Nance, 33, hasn’t eaten anything but raw meat for close to eight years.
Maybe an occasional small salad here or there, but otherwise his meals consist solely of uncooked fat and organs, from animals he personally slaughters.

The electrician from Lexington, Kentucky, suffered for years from digestive issues—“My body doesn’t produce enough enzymes,” he says—and chronic fatigue syndrome. When doctors couldn’t help, he experimented with veganism, vegetarianism, and the Mediterranean diet, but nothing worked.

During the winter of 2008, he read about “Native American tribes that lived off of guts and grease,” he says. In his backyard he had a few goats, which he raised for milk. On a whim, Nance decided to slaughter the goats and eat them both raw. He instantly felt better, he says, and hasn’t consumed any animal product that’s touched a stove since.

We called Nance at his home in Kentucky he shares with his vegetarian girlfriend to talk about guts, brains, blood, and other things that are apparently delicious.

Men’s Health: What animals have you eaten raw? Cows, pigs, horses? Anything and everything?

Derek Nance: I’ve tried it all, but I usually stick to sheep and mutton, primarily because they have a lot of extra belly fat, and I eat a fat-based diet.

MH: What about poultry? Any chicken or turkey?

DN: I’ve eaten raw chicken before, but I don’t care for it.

MH: That freaks us out a little.

DN: [Laughs.] Why?

MH: Even after touching raw chicken, aren’t you supposed to wash your hands like you’ve been handling radiation?

DN: Because of the salmonella?

MH: You don’t worry about salmonella?

DN: I’ve gotten salmonella before. It’s like three days of diarrhea. It’s not a big deal.

MH: There are dangerous things you could get from raw meat. E. coli, worms, hepatitis E. None of that concerns you?

DN: Not really. Our primitive ancestors, even before we learned how to control fire, were basically scavengers. And they had a very powerful immune system that could deal with the parasites and the bacteria. A lot of problems today come from living in too sterile an environment.

MH: Do you think we’ve been spoiled by stoves?

DN: In a way, yeah. When everything is cooked and sterilized, you don’t develop a natural immunity. So if there’s a little bug on a piece of chicken that’s been sitting on the counter for too long, it’ll kill you. You’re weak inside. Your body can no longer deal with simple bacteria.

MH: What about the nutritients in dairy and grains? Like calcium, vitamin D, magnesium, and fiber?

DN: I get everything I need from meat because I don’t cook it. When you cook it, you destroy the essential enzymes and vitamins. I eat the entire animal. I eat all the organs, the eyes, the brain, the thyroid, the liver, the lymph nodes. I eat the stuff that gets cut out and thrown into the dog food at the factory.

MH: What’s your least favorite organ?

DN: I’m not particularly fond of kidneys. It has a strong taste of urine. It’s a little pissy. I’ll eat them, but it’s not my number one. Also, the stomach is kind of an acquired taste. It’s a little chewy. You can spend all day chewing on a stomach.

MH: There’s not enough hot sauce in the world to make kidneys seem appetizing to us.

DN: You get used to it. It helps if you throw it into a blender and make a stomach smoothie.

MH: That is literally the most disgusting thing we’ve ever heard.

DN: It’s really good, and it’s probably really nutritious, with the collagen and the probiotics that are in stomachs.

MH: That makes sense in theory. But then you say, “Hey, who wants a stomach smoothie?” And we feel like we’re in a horror movie.

DN: It’s about feeding your body what it needs. What better way to nourish a digestive system than with the digestive system of another animal?

MH: Let’s talk about bowel movements. Do you have them?

DN: I have one every day or every other day.

MH: Are you lying to us?

DN: I don’t have any problems with constipation or loose stools. Everything’s pretty solid and moves out fine.

MH: On an all-raw-meat diet?

DN: The idea that you need fiber to have a bowel movement is a myth. Maybe on a cooked diet, when you’re getting rid of all the enzymes and your body has to produce more stomach acid, that could cause some constipation.

MH: Are we correct in thinking your bathroom smells like the lion cage at a zoo?

DN: Nope. People assume that all the time. I actually don’t even have gas anymore. When I briefly tried eating only vegetables, I had tremendous gas. It was toxic. But with raw meat, I don’t think I’ve had a fart—an actual fart—in almost eight years.

A man who makes a beast of himself, forgets the pain of being a man.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #301 on: June 07, 2016, 11:29:03 pm »
A media person who actually checks out the facts?  :o :o ???   That's like a politician who is willing to undergo a lie-detector test!  ;D

I always remember my own pathetic "interview" with the Times newspaper. She pretended to be respectful towards my diet during the phone-interview and then utterly distorted what I had said in the interview. It is a pity that I am not rich as, in the UK, libel-law  trials are a great way to earn a lot of cash.

I used to read men's health magazine a lot prior to going rawpalaeo. It seems a good enough publication.Very mass-market. Well done!
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: June 08, 2016, 12:22:40 am »
Excellent. We will be lauded within 6-8 years.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #303 on: June 08, 2016, 12:36:23 am »
If you think that mainstream nutritionists, dieticians, doctors and the like will be convinced you are dreaming.And most ordinary people will fail to be convinced of this sort of diet. This diet really only appeals either to eccentrics or those who are desperate and have tried almost everything else and failed. About the only thing that would work a little bit  is if some celebrity like Trump or Sanders or Clinton were to adopt this diet.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: June 08, 2016, 04:21:27 am »
Don't bet against us. 112 years ago, they said man would never fly. They said physics was finished, nothing new to learn. These things were believed in LIVING MEMORY.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #305 on: June 08, 2016, 04:33:38 am »
There have also been wildly overoptimistic futuristic predictions:-

http://www.cracked.com/photoplasty_777_26-hilariously-inaccurate-predictions-about-future/

Futurology is a pretty bankrupt science anyway. One only has to look at Francis(edit) Fukuyama and his absurd "end of history" claim as one example among a myriad of them.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 10:38:42 am by TylerDurden »
" Ron Paul.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: June 09, 2016, 07:21:07 am »
Congrats, Sabertooth. Are you still also eating the occasional Artisana coconut butter or coconut? I never developed a taste for the coconut butter and ended up throwing the remainder out. :(
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: June 09, 2016, 07:24:44 am »
If you think that mainstream nutritionists, dieticians, doctors and the like will be convinced you are dreaming.And most ordinary people will fail to be convinced of this sort of diet. This diet really only appeals either to eccentrics or those who are desperate and have tried almost everything else and failed. About the only thing that would work a little bit  is if some celebrity like Trump or Sanders or Clinton were to adopt this diet.
You're essentially correct, of course.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: June 09, 2016, 08:36:19 am »
And where is the assurance that some major, charismatic, influential celebrity WON'T adopt it soon?  They're already going cooked paleo in large numbers, and several have gone raw vegan, including Woody Harrelson and Jason Mraz. It is purely a matter of time, hmm? LOL

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #309 on: June 09, 2016, 10:41:18 am »
If only Ron Paul would convert to a RVAF diet.....
" Ron Paul.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #310 on: June 09, 2016, 12:29:26 pm »
The problem is that cooked foods contain opioids that affect the brain. So we are in the same situation as anti-drug campaigners. The chances of us converting multitudes is slim.....
" Ron Paul.

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: August 15, 2016, 02:29:33 am »
Im going to be famous in Russia now

Hi Derek! I'm the Photo Editor of Men's Health magazine Russian edition. In October we are going to publish a translation of your interview to Men's Health USA from their September'16 issue and looking for illustrations. Would you be so kind to provide us with your photos in high resolution? For example, images from the VICE article or similar will meet our needs.
Thank you in advance,

Photo Editor
Men's Health Russia

Haven't yet been contacted by the American office recently, but they told my my article will be in the September edition.
Ive been kinda slacking on my figure since the pole studio closed down, and having gone through some lean times, but Ive just killed a beautiful fat ram and am beginning to gorge again, so if I have a couple of weeks to be able to svelte up a little for the cause.

Offline svrn

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: August 15, 2016, 06:12:40 am »
Excellent. We will be lauded within 6-8 years.

lol.
Its nice to have to have dreams.
Sabertooth is up there as freakshow and thats how 99% of people see him. ITs worth that one percent who will take him seriously though.
-----------

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: August 15, 2016, 07:10:52 am »
Dude, could you at least try to be a little less rude,
take your feud with CK elsewhere,
and dont belittle these dreams with your sardonic attitude.

Offline svrn

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: August 15, 2016, 08:38:31 am »
You are right, although I would have said the same thing to anyone who made that point, im sure it came out ruder due to who was saying it. I feel justified due to how iv been treated but I will watch to not be the one instigating. His attack on have already caused one person to leave the forum and another is considering it, and that makes me mad. But yes, I was wrong to instigate.

Sorry if I sound like im belittling dreams but we need to start being realistic.

Before we start thinking about being lauded for eating raw meat we need to consider how long we will even be ALLOWED to meat. Let alone raw meat which is also under attack. Im not even allowed to buy blood right now and the raw fish laws for japanese restaurants are getting stricter.

The fda has legalized a slew of viral sprays to be sprayed on all raw meats, how long until it is mandatory? How long until they decide that artificial meat grown in vats should be the only option because the cows are farting us into global warming?

The vegan agenda is pushing ahead very strong right now and it is coming from the top. This is happening, society is not shifting to our side.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2010/jun/02/un-report-meat-free-diet

Once the carbon credits doled out by our friends at al gore's "blood and gore carbon exchange" (they love their comedy)gain full power to "save the earth"  how many carbon credits do you think you will have to pay every time your cow farts?

Its gonna be like soylent green, with only the ultra elite allowed to consume meat. The trend of society is going stronger towards veganism every day. Soylent green is our future.

Read agenda 21 document, we are going closer towards that reality every day.

Nothing against your freakshow either, il be joining soon. To help one person heal makes it all worth it.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2016, 08:49:06 am by svrn »
-----------

Offline dariorpl

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #315 on: August 15, 2016, 10:15:38 am »
I agree with svrn. We need to realize what's going on in the world and the type of people who are calling the shots, and what their goals likely are. Nothing wrong with dreaming, but if something's gonna happen, we need to make it happen. sabertooth is doing his part and that's awesome.

Then again, remember AV. When he got too famous, they simply got rid of him and made it look like a freak accident. I care about what happens to the rest of the world, but I'm not gonna sacrifice my own life to improve things, and I don't expect anyone else to. Make no mistake, every single one of us is in their very special list of enemies just for reading this forum.
We now live in a world where medicine destroys health, law destroys justice, education destroys knowledge, government destroys order, the press destroys information, religion destroys morals, and banking destroys the economy

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: August 15, 2016, 12:29:35 pm »
No guts no glory, and you two need to recognize that our world is a plurality, and not a homogeneity.....and nobody has absolute control.

There are people in far away lands who will not kowtow to the agenda 21. Russia is one of those regions where they are massively expanding natural meat production. They are openly resistant to the encroachment of Monsanto, and there is a large local food movement currently underway. There are millions of people who could be potentially open to the message I have to bring, and when the interview goes out in Mens Health Russia there is no telling who it may inspire...perhaps Putin himself will read the article, and set the Russian states science apparatus to work on testing the Validity of my claims.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2016, 12:34:57 pm by sabertooth »

Offline ys

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: August 16, 2016, 11:53:15 pm »
Russia is one of those regions where they are massively expanding natural meat production.

There is no evidence of such thing.  I spoke with Yuri few days ago, he just visited Moscow.  Quality meat was nowhere to be found.

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: August 17, 2016, 05:43:18 am »
I regularly go to the local markets in Kentucky and for the most part I can say there is very little which is up to my standards. I also found it difficult to find quality meat in London and many other places in the western nations I have visited. If you look for the negative in a place you are bound to find it.

I agree Russia is not yet the paragon of Paleo quality meat production, but so is much of the modern world in general, and at the very least Russia is standing up against Monsanto, and have recently invested in building up their own beef cattle herds, though it may be a few years until the beef begins to hit the city streets. Regardless of the monolithic degenerate ecology abounding on both sides of the rusty iron curtain, there are delicate threads of interconnectedness , awakening beings who are working their magic in the undergrowth to bring these separate worlds together. These underground movements span across all boundaries and uplift those rare souls with the power to see, and I reach out to My Russian brothers and Sisters with an open heart. 

There are worlds within worlds.....Entire nations of people cannot be prejudiced and pigeonholed as being totally negative, this breeds the kind of resentment which caused the iron curtains to divide and segregate the people of the world.

How does Yuri provide for his needs these days in such a wasteland? The very fact that people like Yuri are living in that part of the world, means that there is still hope.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 05:51:21 am by sabertooth »

Offline dariorpl

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: August 17, 2016, 12:34:18 pm »
I hope the rumours about organic foods in Russia are true.

Btw, perhaps this has nothing to do with anything, but I was reading yesterday that Monsanto and Dow were the companies who produced agent orange for the US military to be used in the Vietnam war, the consequences for human life being disastrous, possibly much worse than all the bombs and bullets and napalm, even though agent orange was devised to kill only plants, not people. Interesting thing to think about.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 01:08:32 pm by dariorpl »
We now live in a world where medicine destroys health, law destroys justice, education destroys knowledge, government destroys order, the press destroys information, religion destroys morals, and banking destroys the economy

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #320 on: August 17, 2016, 03:16:08 pm »
SB, if you had visited the LFM markets in London , particularly the biggest, most popular ones, you would have found plenty of high-quality raw foods though not all stalls would have decent stuff in such places.
" Ron Paul.

Offline RogueFarmer

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: August 18, 2016, 03:09:34 am »
I read articles about underground organic farming and farmers markets in russia published in the 80s. When the ussr was collapsing, what kept russia from starving was that 70 percent of the food was produced by the black market.

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: August 18, 2016, 03:55:24 am »
SB, if you had visited the LFM markets in London , particularly the biggest, most popular ones, you would have found plenty of high-quality raw foods though not all stalls would have decent stuff in such places.

Perhaps if I had more time and better transport I would have done better at finding a decent food source.......Still I say that even in the capitalist mecca of London there is a great apartheid, between the haves and the have nots..... I doubt that the average working class family could afford the best of the best quality farmers market meat and produce, even if they wanted to. Then you must also consider all the nanny state regulations which prohibit blood and organ meats from being sold for human consumption. If I were to live in the UK I would have to be an outlaw to maintain my way of life.

It seems to me that lack of Money is a much bigger obstacles in obtaining the best quality than is the particular nation in which you belong...of course I will agree that in nations such as Russia there are a large portion of poor people who may find it difficult to afford the quality sources, but that doesn't mean that its impossible, it only means that they have to be more cunning and resourceful than us spoiled Americans.

I read articles about underground organic farming and farmers markets in russia published in the 80s. When the ussr was collapsing, what kept Russia from starving was that 70 percent of the food was produced by the black market.

Hell, I would probably be starving or at least in the poor house if it wasn't for underground farming and the "black sheep" market in America. Every animal I buy is off the books, unregulated, untaxed and directly from the farmer....It would be virtually impossible for me to afford this diet otherwise. I like older animals which if processed legally would have to have the head and spine removed, and all the blood and guts throw away, so there is no other way I could make this diet work other than killing the animals myself.

The undercurrents exist everywhere I have traveled and it seems likely to me that in a nation as vast as Russia if you rove through the countrysides and seek out hidden spaces, you are bound to find people who raise quality animals, and would sell them under the table for a fair price.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 04:02:43 am by sabertooth »

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #323 on: August 18, 2016, 04:29:17 am »
..... I doubt that the average working class family could afford the best of the best quality farmers market meat and produce, even if they wanted to. Then you must also consider all the nanny state regulations which prohibit blood and organ meats from being sold for human consumption. If I were to live in the UK I would have to be an outlaw to maintain my way of life.
Incorrect. When i first started going RVAF/rawpalaeo, I was not in a position of being able to work, but welfare was enough to pay for what I wanted. Some (organic/grassfed) organ-meats were easy to get hold of  as no one else wanted them and so they were dirt-cheap. Most farmers just throw the organs away because no one wants them. I got blood easily by buying lots of raw wild hare carcasses, all vacuum-packed.

Of course, the easiest solution is to have a decent farm or have a link to a decent farm of some sort.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 12:35:52 pm by TylerDurden »
" Ron Paul.

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: August 18, 2016, 08:28:50 am »
These discussions based on generalities will always lead to disagreements, but generally speaking, what I observed in Europe was indicative of a larger trend which is typical in many food deserts across America.

Perhaps a single person on welfare can live like a werewolf in London....but, I was referring to the average working class family not living on government subsidy, and from what I could tell it would be nearly impossible for me to earn a living through honest labor, support my children and afford a market priced Paleo diet in London...... Though I do not doubt the axioms "where there is a will there is a way" and "Life will find a way"...... which brings me a more prescient conclusion, that there simply isn't the collective will in many parts of the world, needed to bring about the kind of change which would allow for the rise of large working class paleo friendly communities in many of the major industrial cities, be it in London or Moscow....

There are sure to be exemptions to this generality..... TD, myself and many others here being examples..... though generally speaking the best this diet has to offer (for people not living in traditional indigenous farming communities) is sustainable only to the upper and middle classes of the west, who can afford to contract their own high quality sources, with the exception of a few occasional poor rouges like us who are tenaciously dedicated to the cause and can scrounge for scraps and find good deals.

« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 08:59:24 am by sabertooth »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk