Author Topic: The Iceman  (Read 16252 times)

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
The Iceman
« on: October 03, 2013, 01:34:51 am »
What better place to post this than in "Hot" topics

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKT1Wvz3xm0
Cheers
Al

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
Re: The Iceman
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2013, 06:25:01 am »
Thanks, I had not seen that one and that is the best, most understandable and well explained of the videos I've seen on Wim yet. The History channel has some high quality stuff, and it wasn't even history.  :D

At 7:45 in the vid Wim made a profound statement with feeling: "I am not afraid to die, I am afraid not to live fully--fully is to go deep, and for that, any challenge I take on."

Why Hot Topics though, other than as a joke? Wouldn't off-topic be more appropriate?
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 06:37:37 am by PaleoPhil »
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2013, 08:40:48 am »
I think he meant that part as a joke.  :)

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2013, 09:13:55 am »
Yes, yes
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele

Offline svrn

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2013, 12:49:19 pm »
history channel is pure garbage.
-----------

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2013, 08:58:08 pm »
What, if anything, do you find that you like on TV, svrn? I recently was given a TV and so have been watching it a little bit now and then after years of only viewing TV when visiting others. I'm not into debating things that have little or no import for real life, like TV channels and shows, but I am made curious by your response. Maybe you can suggest something interesting to a TV newbie like myself.

The History Channel is one of the few channels that has anything on it that's remotely interesting to me--such as the Wim Hof bit and the series Vikings. The bizarre foods shows also tend to be somewhat interesting. I also like some science programs, which I suppose the Wim Hof documentary fits into.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 09:28:22 pm by PaleoPhil »

Offline svrn

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2013, 02:50:26 am »
I dont have a tv. It is a weapon of psychological warfare, everything presented on there is preapproved for purposes of manipulating society. If you dont understand this by now I wont be explaining it to you. Do your own research if youd like.

history channel is one of the worst offenders as it spreads the lie of mainstream history which anyone with half a brain should know is pure lies as well as putting putting the worst of the worst that alternative media has to offer such shows about ancient aliens creating our society and endless other such programs promoting every view that our rulers want us to believe in.

Remember, the mind has no firewall, what you watch WILL affect you. The subconscious will treat every tv image as reality. It is a science.

some info on the mechanics of telivision itself, including the all important flicker rate and hypnotic state:

The hidden effects of Television on the mind
« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 02:58:53 am by svrn »
-----------

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2013, 03:07:01 am »
Thanks for the warnings, svrn, but I probably need them much less than most, as I've never purchased a TV and avoided watching one for many years (aside from the occasional movie or sporting match at friends' houses or the game/party room in the complex) until guests complained about my not having a TV and having to walk down the hall to the game room, which has a TV and cable box that I can't fully figure out how to use (though the guests usually eventually figure it out), and I figured that it would probably be good to have something for guests. But it looks like you favor absolutely zero viewing, yes?
« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 03:19:27 am by PaleoPhil »

Offline mango

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2013, 03:09:20 am »
man.. svrn, i gotta say that reading most of your postings on this forum literally suck the life and energy out of me.. so much negativity on every single topic.. ease up..

Offline svrn

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2013, 03:22:51 am »
sorry is reality hurting you too much? Maybe you should learn to deal with it as deluding yourself will lead to much worse problems down the road than accepting reality.

am i not new age enough for for you? am I harshing your mellow maaannn, harshing the positive vibes man.....

grow up, you are in this world, accept it. it will only improve your life in the end trust me. all the new age positive vibe people end up with serious psychological problems as it becomes harder and harder to delude ones self from the reality of this world.
-----------

Offline mango

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2013, 03:29:52 am »
it's not hurting me, just boring me and sucking up my energy.. but i dont have the time or energy to get into your anger/depression issues, i'll let you work on that.

just letting you know that a lot of people on this forum probably feel the way i do, and it may be better if you took an approach of trying to contribute more on topics where you have something positive to add, and letting some topics go without feeling the need to always add your perspective on what the true "reality" is..

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2013, 04:07:27 am »
It's not an energy suck for me, as I seem to have an abnormally high ability to tolerate and thus largely ignore Internet negativity and hyperbole (and I'm not boasting about it or anything--it could be abnormal in a negative sense), which is probably one reason why I've remained somewhat active longer than most at this forum. As long as I continue to glean bits of info, I'll continue to put up with it. I just see it as a waste of svrn's and everyone else's time (which he's free to do if he chooses, of course), as it persuades no one and no one learns anything from it. I would prefer just the facts, though I know that's extremely rare on the Internet.

Offline svrn

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2013, 04:34:36 am »
you make  lot of assumptions about me. I am not depressed at all just so you know.

If it sucks energy from you thats your problem. For me learning is an invigorating experience and I have great joy hen I discover that something I have been doing is dangerous and am infused with excitement at the prospect of improving my life as a result of eliminating certain toxic influences within my life. Throwing out my tv was the best decision iv ever made in my life.

Just because you are unable to learn from it doesnt mean you should make assumptions about everyone everyone else. I have personal messages from people on here thanking me for informing them about many such "negative" topics and asking for more info. Also many people in my real life thank me and ask for more information as well so please dont extrapolate your own reactions to my info to everyone else.

-----------

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2013, 06:05:48 am »
just letting you know that a lot of people on this forum probably feel the way i do, and it may be better if you took an approach of trying to contribute more on topics where you have something positive to add, and letting some topics go without feeling the need to always add your perspective on what the true "reality" is..

Svrn is such a great sage that almost everyone sends him PMs to thank him and ask for more info. So great he is… Sure, he'll be recognized in the future as one of the greatest thinkers of history, and even probably as the greatest of all.  ;) How can he deal with all these attention, PMs and questions from fans, answer all of them and still write so many informative and well thought posts? Amazing.  :P
« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 02:08:27 pm by Iguana »
Cause and effect are distant in time and space in complex systems, while at the same time there’s a tendency to look for causes near the events sought to be explained. Time delays in feedback in systems result in the condition where the long-run response of a system to an action is often different from its short-run response. — Ronald J. Ziegler

Offline mango

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2013, 07:11:22 am »
lol. svrn, maybe you should start a blog and all your loyal followers can subscribe to your daily rants/raves over there instead of here?
it'd be great there was a setting to block the viewing of postings by a certain member, but then again even if that setting existed, his comments usually throw the whole center of the discussion of course... its a shame because there are so many intelligent and insightful members on this forum and i love coming here each day and learning something new.
i will meditate on building up patience, like paleophil, towards internet bullshitters/trolls :)

paleophil, since your a newbie to tv, just thought i'd mention that getting an HD antenna is a great way to get free local/international channels, many of which actually come in hd. i cut the cord on cable 5+ years ago, and usually watch less than 1hr of TV each day, but when i do its great to have 2-3 PBS stations + several international channels.

on PBS i love watching globetrekker and sometimes rick steves europe. also enjoy some of the cooking shows that focus on meat/barbecuing, and they also air many interesting documentaries on health/world history at times.
as far as international channels, i really enjoy france24 news in general, plus their culture segments, in addition to nhk which plays some really fascinating and peaceful shows on japanese lifestyle and nature.
i live in california (south bay) but was getting almost all of these same channels when i was over in dc/va.

aside from that i have an appletv (1st gen, you can find them incredibly cheap these days) which is jailbroken and i occasionally love downloading and watching foreign films from any country. there is something about reading subtitles which make me feel like i'm reading a book and enjoying a great movie at the same time :)

hope that helps!

Offline svrn

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2013, 01:16:49 pm »
i didnt read all your crap but it seems like you guys have some sort of insecurity or something where you need to make sure iv been somehow put down.

just look at your behavior. You tell me nobody wants to hear anything I have to say but I tell you how I know its a fact that you are wrong because people told me so. Its a fact im sorry but I dont go around talking about it except to tell you that you ARE wrong that nobody wants to hear it. I didnt bring up the issue. Im telling you how other people have told me that you are wrong. sorry for telling the truth.

Your bitterness says a lot more about you than it does it about me.
-----------

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2013, 08:14:57 pm »
Thanks for the info mango! I can't use an outdoor HD antenna for my condo, but I could use indoor one. Any idea how well those work?

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2013, 08:39:15 pm »
Svrn, isn’t there any children's playground around you? We are considering to send you to such a place for a year till you grow up a bit.  :)
Cause and effect are distant in time and space in complex systems, while at the same time there’s a tendency to look for causes near the events sought to be explained. Time delays in feedback in systems result in the condition where the long-run response of a system to an action is often different from its short-run response. — Ronald J. Ziegler

Offline Projectile Vomit

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2013, 09:46:58 pm »
Iguana, can I interpret your above post as suggesting that moderators are contemplating suspending Svrn for a year? If this is accurate, then, for what it's worth, I second the idea. I've watched him sidetrack and trash so many threads with his paranoid rants that I scarcely bother posting here anymore. Although there are others here who detract from the forum too, he's the primary reason I do not recommend the forum to people who express interest in learning about raw food.

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2013, 10:39:10 pm »
Yes, we do but as we are several mods, there must be a rough agreement between us. Thanks for your support.   :)

Offline mango

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2013, 12:09:23 am »
paleophil, i've only used indoor antennas, there aren't many advantages to the hassles and cost of setting one up outdoors from what i've gathered.
about a year ago i tested 5-6 of the highest rated amplified indoor hd antennas and by far the best was the Terk HDTVa.
the design of this model is a little less appealing than some of the others, but i've placed mine mostly out of sight behind the tv. also the direction the antenna faces can be adjusted to point horizontal/vertical depending on your preference. it easily picks up 25+ channels in my area and compared to all the other antennas i've tried, there are no problems with reception on rainy/foggy days. i rarely ever have to adjust the direction the antenna is facing.

did a quick glance on amazon just now and it seems to still be the best out there, not much seems to have changed over the last year. highly recommended.

Offline svrn

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2013, 12:58:26 am »
spotted:overabundant use of passive aggressive smileys.

also make note how the only comment I posted here initially was saying that history channel is crap. THen paleophil asked me to elaborate and I did. are you people mad that i answered paleophils question? are you people mad that you wanted to insult me and then I told you the fact that there are people who have told me they want to hear what I say?

I hope you guys really take a look at this this thread again and consider these things. But I know people get mad when you burst their bubble so I expect it.

Please disregard all this and continue to zonk out in front of the tv. Its good for you!
-----------

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2013, 11:43:55 am »
spotted:overabundant use of passive aggressive smileys.

also make note how the only comment I posted here initially was saying that history channel is crap. THen paleophil asked me to elaborate and I did. are you people mad that i answered paleophils question? are you people mad that you wanted to insult me and then I told you the fact that there are people who have told me they want to hear what I say?

I hope you guys really take a look at this this thread again and consider these things. But I know people get mad when you burst their bubble so I expect it.

Please disregard all this and continue to zonk out in front of the tv. Its good for you!

Dude, the reason we are discussing banning you isn't because of posting about the History channel.  I agree that it's very important to be skeptical about the "official" versions of history, biology, etc.. A LOT of us agree with that.

It's your know-it-all attitude, combined with your lack of experience, plus your very large numbers of posts, that are wearing on everyone's nerves a little bit.  Take it down a notch.  How about limiting yourself to 1 post a day for a while?

Offline svrn

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2013, 12:53:26 pm »
please note how i made one tiny post on this thread.

every other post was a direct response to a question aimed directly at me

this is the story of all of the excessive posts that go on here. Im never arguing with myself and simply responding to questions posed directly at me in a particular thread.

should I have remained silent when, for example, paleophil asked me to elaborate on my position? please tell me as I am curious about how I am expected to behave in such situations.

as far as know it all atitudes go im only trying to fit in as that seems to be the norm around here.
-----------

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2013, 09:17:45 pm »
please note how i made one tiny post on this thread.

every other post was a direct response to a question aimed directly at me

this is the story of all of the excessive posts that go on here. Im never arguing with myself and simply responding to questions posed directly at me in a particular thread.

should I have remained silent when, for example, paleophil asked me to elaborate on my position? please tell me as I am curious about how I am expected to behave in such situations.

as far as know it all atitudes go im only trying to fit in as that seems to be the norm around here.

Iguana mainly brought it up in this thread because it was already going off-topic anyway.  It's really true, though.  Currently GoodSamaritan and I are still supporting keeping you around, Iguana wants to ban you, and everyone else is holding mostly silent.  There is a limit to the group's patience, though.  Please don't test that limit.

My suggestion is to limit yourself to one post a day, and keep that post respectful.  No preaching, just keep it factual.

And you're right, we ARE a bunch of know-it-alls.  A "bunch" as in "group", a group that gets along.  We do our best to get along, because we recognize that none of us has the whole truth, and one of the biggest parts of being a know-it-all is actually bothering to study in the first place, and continuing to study.  Since so few good scientific studies exists on long-term raw foodism, we have to come here to learn about each others' anecdotal experiences.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk