Author Topic: I just started an AMA on Reddit.  (Read 4623 times)

Offline Dr. D

• Chief
    • View Profile
I just started an AMA on Reddit.
« on: October 30, 2013, 10:37:18 am »
http://www.reddit.com/r/keto/comments/1pigkx/i_would_like_to_share_my_version_of_keto_based/

There is the link. Let's see how this goes eh? AMA means 'ask me anything'.
-Dustin

Trying to heal ADHD. Common symptoms: fatigue, impulsiveness, poor attention, no motivation.
Other side issues I'd like to get over: Acne, dandruff, tooth health (yellow, poor gums, gingivitis)

If ya ain't hungry enough to eat raw liver, ya ain't hungry enough.

We are all just doing the best we can, with what we know, at any given time.

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: I just started an AMA on Reddit.
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2013, 08:43:32 pm »
Let us know what comes of that.  Try to direct people to this forum, if you can.

Offline Dr. D

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2013, 01:12:26 am »
I think it went pretty well, basically no one is commenting on much anymore. One guy (of course the top comment) was a total jerkbag in his last comment about parasites:

Here is the report:
http://www.fao.org/docrep/003/x0465e/x0465e04.htm#3.1 European Union
And honestly, you are dangerously undereducated on topics you are pretending to talk about with authority. I'm not objecting to your raw diet, I eat raw meats and fish all the time, but I practice basic food safety.
Tapeworms are not "natures janitors." Liver fluke are not "nature's janitors."
Liver fluke do not need carbohydrates to eat, they feed on your blood. Tapeworms do not need a carbohydrate-rich diet to survive -- they reproduce just fine in the guts of pure carnivores and ruminants.
This is not an "internet debate," you are wrong on the fundamental biology and making absolutely nonsense conclusions from the papers you cited.
Take whatever chances you want with yourself. If you consider pinworms crawling out of your butt, a ball of roundworms in your stomach, and liver fluke giving you bile duct cancer to be "your little janitors" at work then that's your choice, but do not present yourself as any sort of authority to people who might follow your advice. You are putting them at serious risk.
I sincerely hope you are not raising children.

My brother has also been eating raw, but he doesn't follow it as strictly as I do. He had worms in his poo a few times he said yet I haven't. We've been eating the same meat but I'm 100% raw and he still consumes some grains and other cooked foods, potatoes, creams, etc. Part of the thing with Japan is they consume cooked rice but he didn't want to hear that. I really think that "I hope you aren't raising children" type of comment is the lowest form of internet communication.

I've looked around here for more info on parasites and found quite a bit. But there doesn't seem to be anything concerning tapeworms and liver fluke. Anybody know?
-Dustin

Trying to heal ADHD. Common symptoms: fatigue, impulsiveness, poor attention, no motivation.
Other side issues I'd like to get over: Acne, dandruff, tooth health (yellow, poor gums, gingivitis)

Offline Haai

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2013, 02:19:52 am »
To be honest with you, the guy is probably right about parasites, such as tapeworms and flukes, not being "nature's janitors". The only stuff I've ever read suggesting this is AV's stuff. I have never read any scientific literature supporting the hypothesis. However, mammals (including hominins and their ancestors) and their immune systems have been exposed to helminthic parasites (tapeworms, roundworms and flukes) for many millions of years. There is some scientific literature suggesting that the extent of this exposure has resulted in mammalian immune systems that actually require helminth infections in order to function optimally. The presence of these parasites in the body could prevent autoimmune diseases and allergies. The parasites could also be viewed as anti-inflammatories.

You might want to check out a few scientific articles on the subject (these are in no particular order):

Zaccone P, Fehervari Z, Phillips JM, Dunne DW, Cooke A. Parasitic worms and inflammatory diseases. Parasite Immunology 2006 Oct; 28(10):515-523.

Elliott DE, Summers RW, Weinstock JV. Helminths and the modulation of mucosal inflammation. Current Opinion in Gastroenterology 2005 Jan; 21(1):51-58.

Jackson JA, Friberg IM, Little S, Bradley JE. Review series on helminths, immune modulation and the hygiene hypothesis: immunity against helminths and immunological phenomena in modern human populations: coevolutionary legacies? Immunology 2009 Jan; 126(1):18-27.

Rook GAW. Review series on helminths, immune modulation and the hygiene hypothesis: the broader implications of the hygiene hypothesis. Immunology 2009 Jan; 126(1):3-11.
"In the modern, prevailing view of the cosmos, we sit here as tiny, unimportant specks of protoplasm, flukes of nature, and stare out into an almost limitless void. Vast, nameless tracts of emptiness dominate the scene. Talk about feeling small.
But we do not look out at the universe; it is, instead, within us, as a rich 3-D visual experience whose location is the mind" - R. Lanza, Beyond Biocentrism.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2013, 05:26:26 am »
Actually, the hygiene hypothesis now also covers  plenty of data on bacteria and parasites being "nature's janitors". There has been some interesting data on certain bacteria being effective against cancer for instance,  and   there are plenty of symbiont parasites which  provide more good than harm to the host body.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline paper_clips43

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2013, 07:35:21 am »
Gnawing on bones.

Offline Dr. D

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2013, 08:32:55 am »
He also talked about how in the 80's Japan had foodborne illness at twice the rate of all of Europe.

Did that by any chance convert to more deaths? Or weakened immune systems? Getting sick from food may not be the worst thing, as I've experienced a few times starting RPD, and coming out stronger by the end. That, of course, depends on the illness. Botulism doesn't sound fun.
-Dustin

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk