Author Topic: Has anyone tried urine for skin/hair care?  (Read 22035 times)

Offline cavebiatch

• Trapper
    • View Profile
Has anyone tried urine for skin/hair care?
« on: December 30, 2013, 08:27:48 am »
I know that CW argues that urine is a "toxic waste product", but then there's also people who claim to have scientific proof that urine is just filtered blood with excess hormones/minerals/substances because the kidney is constantly regulating levels of substances in the blood. I don't know who to believe anymore. Just because some highly accredited Institute XYZ said something doesn't mean that we can blindly trust them. Everyone here knows that by now. But also I never heard of the "urine is filtered blood" thing before.

Anyway, urine was apparently used for hair wash by the Inuits and the Peruvians. If it's free and we eat a healthy, natural diet, then why not? I am already over the ick factors (that's how I got started on raw meat despite CW), so I might as well try urine for topical care as well. Just for the heck of it.
I am afraid of the urine lingering in my hair and stinking up. I just rinsed my hair in diluted pee with a cup and a basin. I poured the urine dilute onto my scalp and surprisingly, my hair didn't tangle up from being wet. It's not like shampoo or conditioner but I was able to rub the urine into the hair without too much friction. After rinsing for maybe 5 minutes, I turned on the shower head and rinsed my hair thoroughly. My hair is still wet and I don't notice any odor. However someone else might if they met me LOL.  I am waiting for it to fully dry in order to see how my hair feels.

So, has anyone tried using urine on your skin before?
What about using urine to wash your hair? Did it clean well enough, or did it smell bad or build up in any way?
Is anyone willing to try this with me and post your results (anonymously is fine)?

Offline van

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Has anyone tried urine for skin/hair care?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2013, 09:35:14 am »
use it fresh and warm, massaging it in, I use a squirt bottle,  and letting it sit for some time, rinse well.  I also rinse at the very  end with a cup of distilled water that removes most of the minerals from the well water used.  This final rinse step leaves my hair very soft to the touch.   You can use it as often as you want.   Don't know of anything that is healthier for hair and scalp.  My guess is you'll be amazed.

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2013, 10:51:08 am »
Most of the "ick" smell of urine is when it turns to ammonia as it ages. Fresh urine used on skin and hair doesn't leave a smell.

As far as the controversy over urine (toxic vs. good stuff), consider that the "main stream" follows the money... and there's no money for corporate interests when you use your own urine. Walk through any cosmetics department in any store and you will be hard-pressed to find one single product that is great to use on your hair or your skin.

Another benefit of urine is that it is always handy. It's always there, so you never have to put it on your shopping list. Just keep a collection jar handy and you'll have more than enough when you need it.
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2013, 12:19:47 pm »
Many moons ago I experimented with urine both internally and topically.

There are a few books out on the subject, John Armstrong "Water of Life" being the most notable. I had another book but have forgotten the name.

There used to be a website many years ago called 'Urofun' I think it was out of Holland. No doubt a Google will reveal many websites and there was a world congress on urine therapy at one point.

Here is the rules I followed;

When using topically you should let it sit in a bottle for (I believe it is) one week. The fermenting does something good to it and it is not good to use it without letting it sit. The smell goes away quickly when applied and when you store it, put it in a bottle, then put a piece of plastic over it (because it will rot the cap if metal) and then put the cap on loosely, because it may blow up the bottle as it ferments. (experience)

When collecting, use the first urine in the AM, collect only the mid portion, leaving out the first and last of the flow. The first is too pungent and strong and the last is too weak.

For drinking, use fresh only.

It is very effective for curing issues that are long term or chronic.

There are a few theories on how it works, but I can only remember one for now.
You are simply running the chemistry back through your system that your body produced in the first place to fight the chronic issues that you have, so it is specific medicine.

A listing of the contents of your urine is an amazing list of chemicals etc and some have been used by allopathy. One is a blood coagulant used in surgery. Probably more will be revealed with a google search.

Apparently in Ireland in days of yore, mothers bathed their infants in it.

If a person is very ill and produces no urine then, it works if someone else can donate some of their urine till the patient is able.

I asked an Ayurvedic Doctor (Vaidya) about it and he said that for guys, it is not great to get carried away drinking it as you are running testosterone back through yourself, so it will overload you with it, causing predictable; anger, impatience issues. Once I tried drinking some all day for a few days to see what would happen. I was very irritable, upset short tempered, etc and it was getting worse when I stopped the experiment. However it was a very good internal cleanse.

There is also another thread on here somewhere on the therapy.

The Hindus call it Sivambu. Siva one of the gods and ambu being urine. There is a story that Siva's wife (maybe Lakshmi) was very POd  ;D @ Siva because he would not reveal the secret of his vibrant health to her, so she withheld her sexual ........... (whatever you call it) till he spilled the beans... as it were, so ladies be advised I am telling you all, so don't be mad at me.  ;D . Actually my wife did it also many moons ago.

In summation, If you have a chronic condition, have at it, it will do you a lot of good. Topically it seems to be a good idea.
Cheers
Al

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2013, 01:19:15 pm »
Cheers
Al

Offline cavebiatch

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2013, 02:07:36 pm »
My hair turned out soft and voluminous, but it feels a bit dry/exposed maybe because I didn't use conditioner to give it that coated slick feeling. My hair doesn't smell even after I wet it, but my bathroom has a peculiar odor to it. Great. I'll have to figure out a way to deodorize the place.

I thought aged urine worked better for skin and hair? There seems to be mixed results. Some like fresh better, some prefer old (like 4-7 days in a jar).
Also has anyone heard of the urine containing pheromones?
Ref 1: http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=557662&postcount=5
Ref 2: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=50888&page=8&p=2024513&viewfull=1#post2024513

If urine is so great, how come no one mentioned it in the beauty thread or whatever? Lol is it really that taboo? I even tried googling variations of "urine for hair" and didn't get as many results as I wanted, but a lot of "ew! gross! we have shampoo you know!" responses.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 02:43:06 pm by cavebiatch »

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2013, 05:20:59 pm »
Quote from: cavebiatch
If it's free and we eat a healthy, natural diet, then why not?
Because we've been eating an unnatural diet for several decades, or at least during several years.  Our mother also had a mostly cooked diet with dairy, wheat, etc. and toxins are transmitted through the placenta and milk.

It's a big mistake to think that since we've been eating raw paleo for some time, then our urine must be clean. Just think about a sponge (or even a plastic can) having been used for a toxic fluid. Would you ever use it for alimentary purposes, even after having washed it a hundred times?

Drinking our urine is the best way to recycle the toxins our body is trying to expel.  I would never use it for skin/hair care either, that's silly and disgusting. 
Cause and effect are distant in time and space in complex systems, while at the same time there’s a tendency to look for causes near the events sought to be explained. Time delays in feedback in systems result in the condition where the long-run response of a system to an action is often different from its short-run response. — Ronald J. Ziegler

Offline van

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2013, 10:15:33 pm »
that's a classic example of how thought can prevent experimentation.   I had similar thoughts (silly and disgusting) the first time at Montrame (the instinctive nutrition center in France) when I saw a lady with cancer eat a whole 'plate' of raw pieces of fat for dinner one night.   If you were to research toxins in urine, you'd find very little to support your claims.  Far more toxins in the air we breath in any city.   But to each their own.  I understand how some things  just seem like common sense, like, don't jump off of tall buildings.  No need to experiment with that one. 

I also have zero experience of increased 'anger' due to the recycling of any testosterone....   My guess is that raw-al's experience could as just as well came from any cleansing the urine was creating, or kill off of candida or virus or fungus.     

Offline cavebiatch

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2013, 11:31:10 pm »
"Just think about a sponge (or even a plastic can) having been used for a toxic fluid. Would you ever use it for alimentary purposes, even after having washed it a hundred times?"

Ok but the cells in our bodies replace themselves every 7 years. Or so we're told. So no I don't agree that our bodies are always going to be dirty sponges necessarily. Also, I am sure urine from our own bodies are a lot tamer toxin-wise compared to drugstore products. Also there's no bacteria to hurt us or anything in urine, what's to lose? (except social life if the urine reeks..)

I also disagree with the testosterone = angry, aggressive idea. Now that's a silly and disgusting crock. Silly because it's totally unfounded scientifically and people think "men have more testosterone, men become more aggressive, aggression must be related to testosterone" and then one day that became gospel. Disgusting because it brushes a notion about men (all men are monsters! I hear that all the time), and people actually act on their placebos once they get synthetic testosterone (or just sugar pills). Which is... absurd because it shows how gullible people are to their self-fulfilling prophecies.
The healthier and masculine looking men, who obviously have a healthy balance of testosterone, tend to be the calmer and nicer ones in my experience, while the scrawny and neutered looking men are the unstable and irritable ones who burst into random acts of aggression. I would say that testosterone makes someone tamer especially under pressure, not more aggressive. After all, testosterone is a response to working out or managing stress, not the other way around.

Offline cavebiatch

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2013, 01:10:42 am »
Also do I feel weird/crazy for even considering urine a possibility? Yes, yes I do. But being the deadly curious person I am...
If I go raw and also use urine, anything can happen.
Best case scenario: My hair is shiny and clean, I have no acne, I smell clean. I finally find that I can eat raw meat as much as I want and know that it's also the best food for me. I look much healthier, more beautiful. I am more energetic, and people wonder how I transformed so drastically and strangers wonder how I have such perfect skin and hair, but they don't know my very simplistic, low-cost, but nasty, nasty secrets.

Worst case scenario: nothing happens, I am still as acne-ridden, tired, and sick as ever while also looking crazy for eating raw meat and smelling like a hobo. I become officially insane.

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2013, 01:11:21 am »
Quote from: Van
that's a classic example of how thought can prevent experimentation.   I had similar thoughts (silly and disgusting) the first time at Montrame (the instinctive nutrition center in France) when I saw a lady with cancer eat a whole 'plate' of raw pieces of fat for dinner one night.   If you were to research toxins in urine, you'd find very little to support your claims.
- Of course, because researchers usually don't consider most cooked food byproducts as toxins.
- I would not compare eating excrements and drinking urine with eating raw fat !
- Thorough and lengthy experiments on animals, particularly on hundreds of mice, were done in the 60' by GCB and his friend JDD (whom I know very well too). It showed that noticeable detoxination lasts about the same duration as the previous intoxination. I already provided that link several times: http://fr.groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/Ecologie-Alimentaire/conversations/topics/5934 (click on eric rivoire and use Google translate). The abstract on the linked post doesn't tell about detox duration, but these experiments showed that as well. Unfortunately all the detailed reports were lost after GCB's group left to Mexico.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 01:38:25 am by Iguana »
Cause and effect are distant in time and space in complex systems, while at the same time there’s a tendency to look for causes near the events sought to be explained. Time delays in feedback in systems result in the condition where the long-run response of a system to an action is often different from its short-run response. — Ronald J. Ziegler

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2013, 01:33:46 am »
Quote from: Cavebiatch
Ok but the cells in our bodies replace themselves every 7 years. Or so we're told. So no I don't agree that our bodies are always going to be dirty sponges necessarily. Also, I am sure urine from our own bodies are a lot tamer toxin-wise compared to drugstore products. Also there's no bacteria to hurt us or anything in urine, what's to lose? (except social life if the urine reeks..)

- As I understand it, cells divide (mitose), so a fraction of the initial cell always remain in the next ones. And it's well known that some toxic substances such as organochlorine pesticides, heavy metals or radionuclides accumulate in animals. Thus it's logical to infer that new chemical species produced when heating food are likely to accumulate too - the experiments and experiences show it as well.
- Bacteria are useful!  ;)

Cheers
François
« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 01:39:35 am by Iguana »

Offline cavebiatch

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2013, 09:20:50 am »
I see. Bacteria is okay in the gut but I don't want any growing into huge numbers and affecting my external flora.
Well, it seems that people are having good results with urine online, and I doubt they're paleo let alone raw. So I am guessing that it can't be that bad?
I wonder if you can infuse or mix herbal water with the urine. One because I love herbal water, second so I can find a scapegoat to blame any potential odor on, if anyone asks. "Um.. it was the rosemary!"

Offline van

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2013, 10:09:53 am »
I was comparing the concept of our thoughts and how they can control our actions or beliefs, not as to the physical attributes of any particular food or substance.  Let's say your quoted hypothesis is correct, and not just for that investigator, but for Everyone in the world.  Fine. But that says nothing about the effect of re-ingesting a substance to allow the body to use it as a signaling guide, which is most of what urine therapy is about.  Just like the theories behind homeopathy,, of which I don't subscribe to.   Again, my point, your beliefs, your thoughts, are preventing you to look past your own bias. That is your own choosing.  But,   I would  ask that you not try to persuade others by labeling the practice with such emotionally strong words as disgusting and silly, especially without even having any direct personal experience.   For to some, that seems 'silly'.   

Offline Carne Cruda

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2013, 02:50:58 pm »
For me, giving a solid opinion about UT is quite tricky.
I tried it, both drinking it and applying it topically.

I did not notice any huge beneficial effect.
Though, to be honest, I was already healthy and I had no real skin issue etc. . And I didn't continue the practice for too long either.
So who knows.

For the moments all I'm a bit more convinced about is that drinking Urine can have some benefits because of some of the reasons "cold showers" (or exercise or most mild stressors) have some.
You are pushing youself,
Improving "pain" tolerance, resetting receptors (so to speak), and so on.
So you may weaken food addictions, or at least appreciate more simply water and so forth.
The opposite of drugs, sugar, pizza...

There might be something else to it, but, again, at the present moment, from my experience I wouldn't be able to say.

Offline cavebiatch

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2013, 02:57:16 pm »
Van is right, I am sure a lot of us got that "silly and disgusting" response to even considering raw paleo and it turned out well for us.

Lol cc what made you try urine therapy if you're healthy? Urine is usually the last resort.

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2013, 05:52:10 pm »
Quote from: Van
Again, my point, your beliefs, your thoughts, are preventing you to look past your own bias. That is your own choosing.  But,   I would  ask that you not try to persuade others by labeling the practice with such emotionally strong words as disgusting and silly, especially without even having any direct personal experience.   For to some, that seems 'silly'.
Van, I’m not trying to persuade anyone. You, Cavebiatch and I are writing down our views, which are quite opposite on that topic, that’s all. You’re free to drink your urine and whatever you like and I wouldn’t blame you for trying to convince me because I suppose you are not.

I use the words “disgusting and silly” since it’s how most people will perceive it. We already have enough social difficulties by eating raw animal foods: thus we don’t need an even stronger social rejection! 

Of course, our own bias always influence our perception of the world; this arguments could be used on both opposite stances. If you’re persuaded that drinking urine will heal you, than it may work. Placebo effect.

Before discussing any further, it would wise to know what we talk about. Here are some excerpts from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urine#Source_of_Medications. Feel free to challenge those quotes: Wikipedia can be wrong.

Cellular metabolism generates numerous by-products, many rich in nitrogen, that require elimination from the bloodstream. These by-products are eventually expelled from the body during urination, the primary method for excreting water-soluble chemicals from the body.

Healthy urine is not toxic.[6] However, it contains compounds eliminated by the body as undesirable, and can be irritating to skin and eyes.

Most animals have excretory systems for elimination of soluble toxic wastes. In humans, soluble wastes are excreted primarily by the urinary system (…). The system produces urine by a process of filtration, reabsorption, and tubular secretion. The kidneys extract the soluble wastes from the bloodstream, as well as excess water, sugars, and a variety of other compounds. The resulting urine contains high concentrations of urea and other substances, including toxins.

It also contains an assortment of inorganic salts and organic compounds, including proteins, hormones, and a wide range of metabolites, varying by what is introduced into the body.

In the urine of a healthy individual the color comes primarily from the presence of urobilin. Urobilin in turn is a final waste product resulting from the breakdown of heme from hemoglobin during the destruction of aging blood cells.

Are there animals drinking urine? Do you think any of our hominid ancestors ever drank urine?
« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 07:00:45 pm by Iguana »

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2013, 10:02:06 pm »
I think its weird you can smell you pee and it smells foul.  My pee sometimes has a smell but there is no way its offensive smelling, its hardly noticeable at all and doesn't smell funky.  Is that real or something you are imagining?

Apple cider vinegar works really well to make hair smooth and silky.  Try diluting a tbsp. in a quart of water and pour that over your hair and then rinse it out really well, you'll feel immediately how it corrects the ph of your hair and makes it super soft feeling.

Nettles tea is really good for your hair and scalp.

I dunno I only have to use dr bronners soap/acv every other on my hair and I work in pretty dirty conditions most of the time.  It just takes patience to improve your overall health and everything else should fall in line.

Offline cavebiatch

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2013, 11:33:10 pm »
it’s how most people will perceive it. We already have enough social difficulties by eating raw animal foods: thus we don’t need an even stronger social rejection! 

Who cares what other people think, with their unhealthy diets? The proof will be in the pudding and if raw paleo is right, we're the ones who get the last laugh.

However.. I am not going to call out names but I've lurked this forum often and some of the prominent members' internet fights, tearing each other's lifestyles down, peculiar goals to "multiply their progeny", and narrow worldviews were a lot more disturbing than putting piss on your head. It made me really think "raw paleo makes sense but since the people who do it seem like a bunch of intolerant dicks, maybe not.."
Not you Iguana, but some people. And it's unbelievable that people actually think the way they do.

Putting urine on your head will make you look crazy and dumb, but no one will tolerate dicks who trample on other people's life choices (not talking about urine, I am talking about some of the stupid "debates" I've seen here). If there's people to make us look bad it's the ones who think they're cavemen and act like one.

I think its weird you can smell you pee and it smells foul.  My pee sometimes has a smell but there is no way its offensive smelling, its hardly noticeable at all and doesn't smell funky.  Is that real or something you are imagining?

Apple cider vinegar works really well to make hair smooth and silky.  Try diluting a tbsp. in a quart of water and pour that over your hair and then rinse it out really well, you'll feel immediately how it corrects the ph of your hair and makes it super soft feeling.

Nettles tea is really good for your hair and scalp.

I dunno I only have to use dr bronners soap/acv every other on my hair and I work in pretty dirty conditions most of the time.  It just takes patience to improve your overall health and everything else should fall in line.

I don't think pee smells foul necessarily, but I do think "I better not smell like this because other people will know". I think it's a social conditioning more than anything.

I use white vinegar during showers, ACV never did it for me. Never tried nettles but I use tea rinses. I hate Dr. Bronner's for the hair, it just doesn't do well with the water around here. I tried a lot of things, so I guess the unmentionable will be one of them.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2014, 12:54:08 am by cavebiatch »

Offline Chris

• Warrior
  • Each journey starts with a step
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2014, 03:36:58 pm »
So, has anyone tried using urine on your skin before?
Is anyone willing to try this with me and post your results (anonymously is fine)?

I haven't peed on myself lately (LOL). I don't think it's the next cure all that we've all been waiting for. But, I've heard all the positives that you have read too. If you do try it, I'd dilute it in some moisturizer, perfume, cologne, ect. Oh yeah, you might want to use it fresh. I wouldn't pee in your shampoo bottle and use it for the next month. hint hint. hehehe  ;)

Be a trailblazer and leader and let us know your results. Hopefully it doesn't effect your love life.  :) hehehe

Offline van

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2014, 12:38:13 pm »
Do a little research before you start calling others crazy.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2014, 03:42:37 pm »
I once tried urine therapy  in a very small way in  utter desperation many years  ago, pre-rawpalaediet. It did not work for me.  My main concern, though, is the ick factor. I mean, one should first get used to eating fresh, raw grassfed/wild meats, then raw organ-meats, then raw aged meats and finally, if those  aren't working, UT or  even coprophagia, but I seriously doubt that the latter two are necessary, even if they work - so I do not view them as being part of a rawpaleodiet.  What annoys me , here, is that AV is quite correct in stating that many wild animals go in for coprophagia, some even needing to do so in order to survive, so, technically, and scientifically, he is correct, even on such a disgusting subject!
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline LePatron7

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2014, 03:45:09 pm »
Do a little research before you start calling others crazy.

They were a spammer. They had 8 posts, and all 8 posts were on different posts, journals, etc. calling people crazy.
Disclaimer: I was told I was misdiagnosed over 10 years ago, and I haven't taken any medication in over a decade.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk