Author Topic: Most ideal coconut oil??  (Read 7423 times)

Offline tests

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
Most ideal coconut oil??
« on: January 16, 2014, 10:40:53 pm »
What is the most ideal coconut oil to consume??

Is it tropical traditions gold standard brand??

Or wilderness family naturals raw centrifuged oil?

Or something better??

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
Re: Most ideal coconut oil??
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2014, 12:52:50 am »
Coconut meat.

Oils are modern processed stuff, most of the time heated — even just by the pressure rise during extraction — in no way paleo.
Cause and effect are distant in time and space in complex systems, while at the same time there’s a tendency to look for causes near the events sought to be explained. Time delays in feedback in systems result in the condition where the long-run response of a system to an action is often different from its short-run response. — Ronald J. Ziegler

Offline van

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2014, 02:41:37 am »
there are now quite a few that state with commitment  that they don't reach temps over somewhere around 100 F.  But lately I'm having second thoughts about the oil.  Maybe I've eaten an overload.    But the coconut meat is fine, but it's also full of carbs,, vs. pure fat as in the oil. 

Offline LePatron7

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2014, 03:08:30 am »
I personally prefer the coconut meat. I'm not saying coconut oil isn't an option if that's what you choose to do. But coconut meat has other stuff that's good too - protein, fiber, etc. I eat a little more than 3 oz of coconut meat daily.

Here's the nutrition data for coconut meat and coconut oil.

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/nut-and-seed-products/3106/2 - coconut meat.

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/fats-and-oils/508/2 - coconut oil.

As you can see the coconut meat has various vitamins and minerals, some fiber, protein, and at most a very modest amount of actual carbs (5 grams carbs per 283 calories), while the oil is pure fat with no vitamins, minerals or anything else.
Disclaimer: I was told I was misdiagnosed over 10 years ago, and I haven't taken any medication in over a decade.

Offline van

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2014, 05:05:54 am »
I also eat the meat, but for one who wants to basically go low carb, derive their energy from fats vs. sugars, coconut meat wouldn't cut it.  The oil can fulfill those needed calories from fat,, especially in times when animal fat is scarce.

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2014, 07:08:24 am »
Coconut meat.

Oils are modern processed stuff, most of the time heated — even just by the pressure rise during extraction — in no way paleo.

I agree with Iguana.

But hey if you want to use vco as medicine from time to time as a laxative or as a massage oil, then go for it.

There are success stories with vco detox, with laxatives, and with eczema, with psoriasis or candida control. So look into it as medicine.

But as food... It tastes bad.

For those who cook, it is a frying oil.

I will look up the brands in our kitchen.

« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 07:14:09 am by goodsamaritan »
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2014, 09:43:20 am »
I've tried Tropical Traditions Gold, selected because of statements made by the company. I was not impressed with it as a tasty food.

I've tasted coconut oil from http://virginoildecococreme.com/ and found it tastier.

That said, I don't buy or eat large quantities of coconut oil, and the brand from Trader Joe's suits my purpose, which is mainly for oil pulling and hair care. When I can't get enough animal fat for very-low carb raw paleo, my favorite alternate is egg yolk, followed by butter and avocados, occasionally nuts. Coconut oil is good for traveling if you want a jar of fat without the carbs.
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

Offline tests

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2014, 09:53:28 am »
I've tried Tropical Traditions Gold, selected because of statements made by the company. I was not impressed with it as a tasty food.

I've tasted coconut oil from http://virginoildecococreme.com/ and found it tastier.

That said, I don't buy or eat large quantities of coconut oil, and the brand from Trader Joe's suits my purpose, which is mainly for oil pulling and hair care. When I can't get enough animal fat for very-low carb raw paleo, my favorite alternate is egg yolk, followed by butter and avocados, occasionally nuts. Coconut oil is good for traveling if you want a jar of fat without the carbs.

Yea I plan on taking the coconut oil for traveling to india.

Regarding the coconut meat, where can I get the best coconut meat?

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2014, 11:37:56 am »
Centrifuged beats pressed easily; no contest.

I can get coconuts in one local healthfood market. I don't know where you will find it, but you can look in your area. Doing a search on "fresh coconuts" and your nearest city and your state may turn up something.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline Chris

• Warrior
  • Each journey starts with a step
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2014, 04:46:08 pm »
What is the most ideal coconut oil to consume??

Is it tropical traditions gold standard brand??

Or wilderness family naturals raw centrifuged oil?

Or something better??

Wilderness Family Naturals Raw Centrifuged oil by far. It taste better and in my opinion it's the purest EV coconut oil on the market! You can't find a more raw product out there. Buy a jar and try it. I bet you'll agree. Especially if you tried all the others. Huge difference. Just ask Paleo Phil, he'll tell you.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2014, 06:06:37 pm »
I once tried some "genuinely raw" coconut oil from the red23 store in the UK.  I ended up having severe stomach-aches as a result, with the pain being just as appallingly bad as in my pre-rawpaleodiet days. Now it might be possible that I got some acute reaction to the stuff due to extra preservatives added(?) or maybe it was not genuinely raw, but I think those  possibilities highly unlikely. I do seem to have a very, very minor  food-intolerance towards raw coconut meat as a whole  so the resultant oil might be  a potent allergen for me.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2014, 06:10:49 pm »
I can get coconuts in one local healthfood market. I don't know where you will find it, but you can look in your area. Doing a search on "fresh coconuts" and your nearest city and your state may turn up something.

In Europe, you find coconuts in every supermarket. About half are rotten inside, so you have to buy a least two have a good chance to fall on an unspoiled one. You’ll get the delicious water as well as the meat.

Wilderness Family Naturals Raw Centrifuged oil by far. It taste better and in my opinion it's the purest EV coconut oil on the market! You can't find a more raw product out there. Buy a jar and try it. I bet you'll agree. Especially if you tried all the others. Huge difference. Just ask Paleo Phil, he'll tell you.

Is centrifugation a Paleolithic process?
I thought jars are Neolithic, aren’t they?
Cause and effect are distant in time and space in complex systems, while at the same time there’s a tendency to look for causes near the events sought to be explained. Time delays in feedback in systems result in the condition where the long-run response of a system to an action is often different from its short-run response. — Ronald J. Ziegler

Offline tests

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2014, 06:21:14 am »
Wilderness familys coconut oil is quite pricey though unfortunately.

Anyone try the one costco carries (carrington farm)?

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2014, 11:16:13 am »
The brands of VCO I have at home are:

Carica

and

Nature's Gift

Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2014, 11:27:27 am »
The WF where I live has 'Now' brand and 'Emerald Laboratories' brand that I like just as well as Wilderness Family.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk