Author Topic: Eczema - A Journey To Healing  (Read 72392 times)

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Eczema - A Journey To Healing
« Reply #50 on: May 09, 2014, 04:45:28 am »
I'll try the standing water. I think the only issue is that he won't like how cold it is.

I use a de-chlorinating shower filter. It slows the water flow slightly, but not enough to ruin the shower experience. It installs by removing the showerhead, screwing the filter in place, putting the showerhead back on. No tools necessary. The filtering part is replaced every 6 months or so. Various brands at hardware stores and online, I have no brand preference.
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 09, 2014, 05:20:47 am »
I find that my skin fares better with clay, such as a clay-aloe mix I make, than with nothing at all or other alternatives like baking soda, vinegar, etc. I learned about red clay from Inger and then found Redmond bentonite clay to be seemingly even a bit better still.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline CatTreats

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 09, 2014, 11:20:38 am »
I find that my skin fares better with clay, such as a clay-aloe mix I make, than with nothing at all or other alternatives like baking soda, vinegar, etc. I learned about red clay from Inger and then found Redmond bentonite clay to be seemingly even a bit better still.

You use this as a lotion/moisturizer?
In its purest, unaltered form, healthy food is delicious.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 09, 2014, 07:42:57 pm »
I don't think of it as a lotion, and it actually dries a bit if left on long enough, though it quickly clears up. It makes my skin feel good, younger, softer, more elastic, and reduces skin flaking a bit. It supposedly increases CO2 at the skin surface, which is supposed to be a rejuvinator. It reduces my skin flaking and grease in eyebrows and scalp and gives more body to my hair. Works better than any other shampoo/nonshampoo I've tried.

For lotion/moisturizing, I tend to use shea butter lotion, cocoa butter, suet, and coconut oil.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele

Offline CatTreats

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 10, 2014, 03:14:48 am »
I don't think of it as a lotion, and it actually dries a bit if left on long enough, though it quickly clears up. It makes my skin feel good, younger, softer, more elastic, and reduces skin flaking a bit. It supposedly increases CO2 at the skin surface, which is supposed to be a rejuvinator. It reduces my skin flaking and grease in eyebrows and scalp and gives more body to my hair. Works better than any other shampoo/nonshampoo I've tried.

I might take you up on that for myself. I don't use anything in my hair or on my body, but I do still deal with some oilyness in my hair. What's your method for using it on your hair?

For lotion/moisturizing, I tend to use shea butter lotion, cocoa butter, suet, and coconut oil.

We've been alternating between suit and cacao butter (all raw) depending on which we have. Our regular fat supplier has had extremely lean meats, so hardly any suet or trim for us at all.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 10, 2014, 05:36:34 am »
I might take you up on that for myself. I don't use anything in my hair or on my body, but I do still deal with some oilyness in my hair. What's your method for using it on your hair?
So far the best method I've found is to mix some clay in with aloe vera gel (which I think is heated some, but I figure that's not a big deal for external use) and to keep it in a small container (too much would require me to store the aloe gel longer at room temp. and it could go bad). At least once per week I apply a lot to my head and massage it into my scalp, especially where the dandruff flakes tend to accumulate. Then during the week I use a small amount every day or two to keep the grease down and keep the hair looking thick and clean.

For my clay-aloe mix, I use the finest clay powder I have, as I find that the thicker clay powders tend to become too thick. If I do use a coarser powder, then I use less of it to keep it somewhat liquidy.

We've been alternating between suit and cacao butter (all raw) depending on which we have. Our regular fat supplier has had extremely lean meats, so hardly any suet or trim for us at all.
I have found them both to work well and to be the best stuff I've tried. They do require a bit more time to rub them enough to get the oil to come off onto my hands, but it's worth it. I find that suet and cocoa butter absorb better into the skin than oily forms of fats, probably because they are more like our own subcutaneous fats. When I'm in more of a rush, I use a shea butter lotion.

I have read that Shaka of the Zulu people and his warriors used to oil their whole bodies every day when fat was plentiful. The British marveled at their glistening "well-oiled" bodies. Given that they had cattle, mainly bovines, my guess is that they used mainly butter to oil themselves. Occasionally I use unsalted butter myself and find that to also work well. Just don't try salted butter, though. I accidentally grabbed salted butter once (I know, I know, butter is not considered "Paleo," sorry) and put it on some dry skin. Ouch!  ;D

Samburu Masai warriors still use (fermented) butter to oil themselves: "Weeks before the raids Samburu moran start sharpening their spears and oiling their rusty AK-47s. They smother themselves in rancid butter and ochre like warriors of old." http://zululandobserver.co.za/20854/farming-in-africa-is-a-deadly-business/

Spartan warriors also used to oil themselves: "Demaratus explained to Xerxes: This is the way Spartans prepare to go into battle and almost certain death. They exercise, oil their bodies, and dress their hair. They go into battle shining." http://www.cliffsnotes.com/literature/r/republic/critical-essays/leonidas-portrait-of-a-spartan

"One Spartan woman in the first century BCE is reported to have doused herself with so much butter that the odor made a Galatian princess ill."

I'll bet that the Spartan butter was fermented/cultured too, which would explain the strong smell.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 05:52:24 am by PaleoPhil »

Offline CatTreats

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 13, 2014, 02:43:34 pm »
Kinda brainstorming here. We got a chlorine filter yesterday and installed it right away. Kevin is still sticking to 10-20 second lukewarm rinses as a shower, but it's nice to rest assured that the water is filtered now. We're still having a shortage on raw suet, so he's only using raw cacao butter to moisturize his skin.

I couldn't help but notice that one day when we both ate nothing but a variety of meats, there was a significant improvement in his skin. And, he mentioned feeling better. So, I'm having him go this week without anything that isn't a meat/fat/organ. Not sure what everyone else might think of this, but I'm curious to see if we get improvements from it.

So over the week, he will be eating the following things:
Venison (chunks), wild boar (belly), duck (breast and legs), salmon, bison (ground), beef, beef liver, and beef heart. We have no access to any other organs at the moment, and we still have eggs and shellfish restricted.

Thoughts are appreciated!

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #57 on: May 13, 2014, 06:42:07 pm »
Yes, you could go temporarily just animal food for a length of time that will do the job.
This is why we have a section in this forum called "zero carb" or carnivore.

http://www.rawpaleodietforum.com/carnivorous-zero-carb-approach/
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 14, 2014, 12:33:04 am »
The caveat when going "all animal food" is to avoid high protein. I figure out a target amount of protein and carbohydrate and then eat fat for all additional hunger. I sustain very low carb, not zero-carb, and the carbs I eat are carefully selected by what agrees with me; in my case, fermented vegetables work the best.

Offline CatTreats

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 14, 2014, 03:47:03 am »
The caveat when going "all animal food" is to avoid high protein. I figure out a target amount of protein and carbohydrate and then eat fat for all additional hunger.

We already focus a lot on eating a good amount of fat. But even more so, now. Whenever we eat duck, I give him the majority of the fat and skin. I get an instinctive "stop" pretty fast when I eat a lot of the fat, but I'm able to eat a lot of the meat. We stick to salmon as our main fish because the fish market knows us and will give us the pieces that are pretty much 50% fat (great stuff). I sometimes send him to work with just a lunchbox or bag filled with fat strips.

I sustain very low carb, not zero-carb, and the carbs I eat are carefully selected by what agrees with me; in my case, fermented vegetables work the best.

That's actually the first plant-food I intend to let him eat again once this is through. The problem was that when he did eat plant foods, it was fruit. And he easily overdoes the sugar part, which I know it holding him back from healing. So, I had to tell him no to everything in order to keep that in check lol.

Offline CatTreats

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: May 15, 2014, 05:48:07 pm »
As of today, except for the tops of his shoulders, his back is FULLY healed. The skin is as soft as mine, and that's soft. There are just a few scabs that have to heal, and then the tops of his shoulders are still dry. But basically, his entire back is 100% healed.

Hands and feet are as bad as ever, though. His arms seem to have worsened again. Just very dry. His hands are feet are still the only parts that have obvious inflammation, but everywhere is dry. Back and torso are good, though.

He started exercising. Yesterday was his first day back at the gym, took today off for rest. The first time he got his eczema under control, he was still eating SAD, and using an eczema lotion (along with a topical cream sometimes). But, he had started working out daily (5+ days a week), drinking a lot of water, and doing a weekly colon cleanse via dieter's tea. So, he's hoping that returning to regular exercise (won't be nearly that often) might contribute positively. Especially now that he will be eating RPD rather than SAD.

Two days into pure carnivorous eating. Not sure if his back fully healing is a result of that, the exercise, both, or just a coincidence. Either way it's a good sign.

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #61 on: May 15, 2014, 06:12:53 pm »
It is usually a combination of everything.
You guys are doing it.
You must document in pictures and inspire others in the future to heal.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

Offline CatTreats

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 16, 2014, 01:25:21 am »
It is usually a combination of everything.
You guys are doing it.
You must document in pictures and inspire others in the future to heal.

I've taken pictures of his hands and feet at the beginning, unfortunately those are the two things that haven't improved enough to notice. When those are really healing, it's going to make for such an inspirational "before and after" image. I can't wait. His back was never a real problem. It's not surprising that it's the first one to fully eal. I can't wait until his arms and hands heal up, that will be the real kicker. His family thinks I'm insane for doing this, so I want to show them that it's going to work.

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #63 on: May 16, 2014, 01:58:22 am »
Are you liver flushing or doing coffee enemas?

Offline CatTreats

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 16, 2014, 02:30:52 am »
Are you liver flushing or doing coffee enemas?

Not yet. It's been hard finding Epsom salts for the liver flush.

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #65 on: May 16, 2014, 02:49:02 am »

Offline CatTreats

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 16, 2014, 03:54:15 am »
this is the brand we use.  safe for ingesting.  order online.

http://www.amazon.com/White-Mountain-Magnesium-Sulfate-Solution/dp/B0064GBCL0/ref=sr_1_2?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1400179677&sr=1-2&keywords=epsom+salts

Sweet, thanks! I will order this soon. I have to wait for payday unfortunately.

We've done colon and kidney cleanses so far. So hopefully we can do the liver soon and it will help.

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 16, 2014, 04:39:51 am »
Epsom salts are sold in every pharmacy, like CVS, Walgreen's, etc. As a laxative to use for a cleanse, I prefer a salt water flush, which I find just as effective without the cramping. As a magnesium soaking solution, I use magnesium citrate, sold as nigari in Japanese markets, which is the salt that remains after common table salt has been removed from sea water.

Offline CatTreats

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 16, 2014, 03:03:12 pm »
Epsom salts are sold in every pharmacy, like CVS, Walgreen's, etc. As a laxative to use for a cleanse, I prefer a salt water flush, which I find just as effective without the cramping. As a magnesium soaking solution, I use magnesium citrate, sold as nigari in Japanese markets, which is the salt that remains after common table salt has been removed from sea water.

I have checked just about everywhere and haven't found Epsom salts. It's kinda weird. For soaking, though, I have a magnesium oil spray that's made from 100% magnesium chloride. It's good for spraying directly onto the skin or you can add some to water for a foot or whole body soak. I love this stuff.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 17, 2014, 07:32:01 am »
CVS, Walgreens, Rite Aid, Walmart, and many supermarkets, health food markets, etc. carry epsom salts. They are often hidden away on a bottom shelf in nondescript packaging. If you ask for help, you'll likely find them. They do tend to get sold out quickly at the places with the best prices in my area, but they can order them if you ask.

http://www.walmart.com/search/search-ng.do?search_query=Epsom%20Salt&adid=22222222220202362486&wmlspartner=wmtlabs&wl0=e&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=19554230534&wl4=&veh=sem

Offline CatTreats

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 21, 2014, 04:27:55 am »
This morning, Kevin has taken his first egg yolk liver flush potion. Wow, that took a LOT of eggs. It was at least a dozen. And 10 lemons, no less! It went down pretty easily, and he's about to finish the laying down period. I've ordered 3 lbs of epsom salts online to use for the other liver flush method. I'm excited to see how this is going to affect him!

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #71 on: May 21, 2014, 06:33:29 am »
This morning, Kevin has taken his first egg yolk liver flush potion. Wow, that took a LOT of eggs. It was at least a dozen. And 10 lemons, no less! It went down pretty easily, and he's about to finish the laying down period. I've ordered 3 lbs of epsom salts online to use for the other liver flush method. I'm excited to see how this is going to affect him!

Something is wrong with the quantity you mentioned.

All you need is 1/2 measured cup of egg yolks and 1/2 measured cup of lemon juice as the morning liver flush potion.

Offline CatTreats

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 21, 2014, 10:07:23 am »
Something is wrong with the quantity you mentioned.

All you need is 1/2 measured cup of egg yolks and 1/2 measured cup of lemon juice as the morning liver flush potion.

I think our egg yolks are a bit smaller than the average chicken eggs. I had a 1/2 cup measuring cup and just added egg yolks until full. Then put it into the cup. Used the same measuring cup and squeezed fresh lemons into there until full. Strained and added to the cup with the yolks, stirred until mixed, then he drank it right away, followed by coconut oil. The lemons were also pretty small compared to others.

Offline CatTreats

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 01, 2014, 07:33:24 am »
Tonight we will be doing the second liver flush - the olive oil one. Looking forward to the results.

Something new has arisen - pimples on his palms. He never has eczema on his palms but now has small painful bumps that you can pop like pimples. What gives? So strange

Offline CatTreats

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 02, 2014, 04:51:02 pm »
The olive oil liver flush went well. TONS of small green stones in all bowel movements the following morning (this morning). Next weekend we'll do it again. He got another pimple on his palm ... still no idea what to think of that. He's been craving honey all day so he had quite a bit. Probably needs the carbs/sugar and minerals for his liver.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk