Author Topic: I need to gain weight  (Read 22043 times)

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Re: I need to gain weight
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2009, 07:00:05 pm »
Some people have had issues with coconut oil. I just mention this as you referred to a headache after eating coconut oil.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline LvB

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2009, 07:34:12 pm »
I'm freaking out, I'm now down to 101 pounds, and I look BAD I mean almost anorexic. I'm considering going to cooked paleo for a while, I mean, I can't let my weight drop into the 90's just because. I'm serious, I fucking feel like shit, and now my muscles have even been deteriorating. IN TWO DAYS I've gone from 103 to 101. At least at 103 I still had my muscle strength and felt ok. I don't think I have time with my schedule to be strict and have positive results with this diet, I'm about to eat some cottage cheese, and I don't care, I feel like it will help me gain some weight. I feel like calling the doctor, because nothing I'm doing right now seems to be working.

Last night I had some serious diarrhea (at least not constipated anymore) and this drastic weight loss even though I'm eating as much as I can stand and this morning after going to the bathroom I weighed myself. I'm really close to just setting this stuff aside because it's causing more complications than I had with any other diet. I know that the whole "symptoms of improving diet" is that I'm supposed to lose weight despite what I'm eating for a while, but I really don't feel that it's healthy to just believe it's that if the weight loss has gone on for 3 straight weeks.

I really need to know if anyone else here had this fast weight loss occur for this long or even a little longer, but when they continued eating that way never the less, they eventually stopped losing weight, and eventually gained it back. I know maybe I shouldn't be so hasty, but seriously, I don't think becoming weak and emaciated is to be viewed as a good sign at all.

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2009, 08:44:38 pm »
I lost a lot of weight and looked too thin on raw vegan, and then when I started getting used to eating more calories on that I started to gain a little back. Then I started doing some Primal Diet stuff and gained a little more, and pretty much stabalized at what I was when I was cooked vegetarian. I still have some weight I'd like to gain back from before I started the diet changes, but where I'm at now is ok.

Try eating raw meat for the first half of the day and then make a big meal from one of those paleo cook books like Sally Fallon's. Or you can do a bit of the Primal Diet, I recommend the butter drinks as butter is the best of the dairy products to eat, to gain some weight and see how that works. There's many options for you to try other than giving up entirely. You could even just try eating raw meat for the first half of the day and then eat whatever junk you want later, at least you'll be getting quality nutrients. The way I see it the diet consists of two benefits, one being getting the nutrients you need, the other being not getting the toxins you don't want. As long as you eat a good amount of raw meat a day you'll fulfill the first, and if you eat junk also you will be getting stuff you don't want, but I think that's the less important of the two benefits.

Satya

« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2009, 09:16:30 pm »
I hope you figure out what's going on and remedy it soon.  Sorry to not have much in the way of advice, but do try to relax a bit.  Stress in itself can cause weight loss.

Offline rafonly

• Buffalo Hunter
  • fpc=811
    • View Profile
fungi vs bacteria
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2009, 09:31:12 am »

"Soluble fiber absorbs up to 10x its own weight in water, slows down the rate at which the stomach empties, slows the movement of food throughout the digestive tract, feeds bacteria in the colon (it's degraded by bacteria such as candida/yeast)"

a well researched, useful post, seeker -- at least in my opinion -- agree w/ you

just for the record, though:
candida & other yeasts as well as all molds are not bacteria but fungi

fungus overgrowth = the serious problem
bacteria = the basis of life

incidentally, i've heard that fungi overgrowth is the result of mineral deficiencies -- which makes sense considering that plant fiber depletes the much needed mineral supply in the body

other possible results of mineral deficiency might be:
liver dysfunction, ph imbalance, blood sugar imbalance, body temperature imbalance...

"time & gradient precede existence", me

Offline LvB

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2009, 11:16:43 am »
I should apologize for getting upset earlier, I guess I need to view this as experimental, and weight loss was just the result of what I was doing.

This morning I did something different. I ate about 14 oz of raw fish, ate two oz of raw beef bone marrow, and two pieces of fruit in the afternoon. I did this to make sure that I have enough to eat for the whole day, I think that may have been linked to my weight loss. 1.) I was eating too much fiber and not enough animal fat. 2.) I waited until the end of the day to eat, which is when eating became a burden.

Eating half my day's food in the morning as breakfast gave me energy through the afternoon, I didn't feel like I needed to eat much, and I actually had more energy than I have had in the past few days. Also I'm not having to worry as much about how much I need to eat in the evening, it feels like a reasonable amount. I think this is something I can keep up with too. I like having raw meat early in the day, after the digestion is out of the way I feel great the rest of the day.

By the way, I'm taking note of that stuff about fiber, and I'll make an effort to get less. Oh, and Guittarman, I'm gonna try what you suggested tomorrow morning--I now have my eggs.

Offline LvB

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2009, 11:26:27 pm »
You would probably do best to up your fat intake as much as possible and have a low but present carb intake. Maybe one or two pieces of fruit a day, any more than that and I think it may eventually cause problems when trying to eat a mostly protein and fat diet.

I have a question about this: I'm curious how it would cause problems, is it blood-sugar related? I guess it would help to understand what you're basing that on before I make a decision regarding it.

The day before I had the severe diarrhea, I had eaten some raw garlic and ginger, then later I had some carrot and beet juice. I stayed away from any fruit, but I did eat a little honey. I noticed that my weight continued to decline when I ate like this. When reading through different posts, I've noticed that early on in this diet some people did eat a moderate amount of fruit for a while, and eventually worked their way off of it.

Either way, I'm going to keep up with what I did before to see what happens. I hope to get a few pounds back because my mom is taking notice that I've been losing it, and since she doesn't understand how the body changes when going to a better diet, she assumes weight loss = bad. Of course, I admit that I freaked out too, I guess I'm still learning to be patient with it. I'm going to find out if the grass-fed farm I've been to in the past has suet. If not, I'll get some of their soup bones, because they've got fatty meat on them and the fatty marrow inside at least, and they're cheap! Then I guess I'll ask the butcher I've gone to for fish if I can get some suet there.

Offline Guittarman03

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2009, 10:31:52 am »
Glad to hear you're feeling a little better.  I know the feeling when things are going the exact opposite of what you're looking for and you're getting really frustrated and can't figure out why.  Do you feel like your digestive system has regained some balance?  Know that when you do the honey/eggs/lime, it's likely going to clear your system out quick, and leave you hungry anywhere from 30 mins - 2 hrs, and you need a good solid meal of plenty of animal fat and protein.  If not, you will only feel weak and lose more weight. 

The only way you can really get away with 1 meal a day is to eat large, and I mean large amounts of fat in one meal.  I can get through a day with just 1 big meal, but even then it's spread over 1-3 hours and I will eat anywhere between 1500 and 2500 calories in straight fat, not to mention the protein.  Fruit/veggies/nuts/extracted fats can be okay as supplemental snacks, but are definitely secondary and less ideal. 

Couple notes:  I've found eating coconut oil can leave me feeling like I want to puke in more than a small spoonful.  Most "extra virgin," cold or expeller pressed coconut oil, if you call the manufacturer and ask for the max temp it gets in processing, they will tell you something like 115 degrees.  It's good for lotion and hair styling tho.  Also, moderate amounts of fruit shouldn't hurt (not like veggies can), though it may not be as helpful as animal products.  If you feel the instinct to eat fruit, then do so, just don't mix with protein unless its non-starchy non sweet.  I used to eat alot of oranges, pineapple, watermelon, papaya; but found as time passed I lost my taste for them.  Go with your instincts... go with your gut.  Even now if I spend a night drinking I end up eating more fruit the next day out of instinct.     

When you consume an organism it loses individuality, but its biological life never ends.  Digestion is merely a transfer of its life to mine.

Offline Nicola

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2009, 08:18:12 pm »
Even now if I spend a night drinking I end up eating more fruit the next day out of instinct.     

What makes you have to drink; are you drinking plain water? Why do you need fruit the next day then?

I am just trying to understand hydration from all angles - every body seems to understand hydration, gut, bloating... in different ways!

Nicola

Offline LvB

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2009, 09:21:24 pm »
I tried the honey/eggs/limes and my bowels feel like they're moving something, but all that comes out is gas. I even tried honey and ACV and then eggs a couple hours after that, then ate some fatty meat and marrow.

JaX

« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2009, 09:31:19 pm »
The best laxative (if you need one) is raw butter (from organic/grassfed animals). Eat UP TO 1/4 pound (up to 100 grams) in one sitting  and within a couple of hours you should be having numerous bowel movements.

Though don't eat that much fat on an empty stomach, eat it with meat or something else, or you might throw up.

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2009, 04:47:37 am »
Woah I feel the complete opposite. I hate snow and cold weather but LOVE HOT weather where the sun is so hot and you sweat even if you take a walk...! Maybe it depends on where ones ancestors are from.. My family as long as I can track back are from the south/hot areas..
I agreee!!!!!!!!!!!! I become less active when its COLLD!!!! I want heat!!! Walkin runin and training in heat!!! I'm way more active when its warmer!!!!! THats why things hybernate in the winter!!! But everyone is different.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2009, 05:22:57 am »
I agreee!!!!!!!!!!!! I become less active when its COLLD!!!! I want heat!!! Walkin runin and training in heat!!! I'm way more active when its warmer!!!!! THats why things hybernate in the winter!!! But everyone is different.

I would beg to differ. If you look at animals(and humans) in more tropical areas, you'll find that most of those just sit around and do nothing during the main heat of the day, being far more active in the early morning and early evening.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline wodgina

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Opportunistic Carnivore
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2009, 06:05:39 am »
The ability to be active during the heat of the day (tall,thin,no fur,sweat glands) is what made us such good hunters. Were made for the heat not the cold.
“Integrity has no need of rules.”

Albert Camus

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 28, 2009, 07:24:30 am »
The ability to be active during the heat of the day (tall,thin,no fur,sweat glands) is what made us such good hunters. Were made for the heat not the cold.
Exactly. Although, some have adaptations to different climates and different levels of humidity. I once read that there are a group of people in the tropics that don't sweat that much because it isn't necessarily beneficial where they live. I would hate to live in a dark rain forest as much as i would hate to live in the arctic. I think some parts of Arizona I would like the most.

JaX

« Reply #40 on: March 28, 2009, 08:19:37 am »

I agree 100%.

Tyler, people I've seen do just the opposite of what you describe. They move, exercise and are outside much more during hot/sunny weather. People also seem much happier when it's sunny

Maybe the people you have personally met who "just sit around" during hot weather, do the same during colder weather? Has more to do with their personality/culture?

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #41 on: March 28, 2009, 07:26:07 pm »
Well, the Eskimoes are undoubtedly suited more to the cold given their physiology(smaller stature etc.)
« Last Edit: March 29, 2009, 03:16:56 am by TylerDurden »
" Ron Paul.

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #42 on: March 28, 2009, 09:02:58 pm »
I agree 100%.

Tyler, people I've seen do just the opposite of what you describe. They move, exercise and are outside much more during hot/sunny weather. People also seem much happier when it's sunny

Maybe the people you have personally met who "just sit around" during hot weather, do the same during colder weather? Has more to do with their personality/culture?

In my country the Philippines, people cannot work during the hot and humid time of the day, or summer season.  Especially before air-conditioning became popular.

So people do their activities in the early morning, when it's hot slow down, stay indoors, then late afternoon be merry again.

Before air conditioning, every summer our government moved from Manila to the mountain city of Baguio so the climate was cool enough to work.

In the 1950s they tried moving summer break to the same time as USA summer break, but the students and the teachers found it impossible to study due to the heat during our real summer months of march, april, may.

I myself encourage my kids to go out and play early morning until 10am and resume outdoor activity around 3:30pm. 

Our hot summer and mid-day temperature is some 33 degrees to 37 degrees celcius and high humidity

Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #43 on: March 29, 2009, 03:28:15 am »
GS is simply stating what anyone sees when they visit developing nations in the tropics. Heck, even sunny Spain has siestas where nothing's open for hours in the middle of the day. True, some countries, with really hot areas,  such as the US, have air-conditioning in almost every home and workplace, so can get around it to some extent, but for those regions with very little in the way of  air-conditioning(ie everyone in Palaeo times), the people there
 would have had to just sit or lie around  in the middle of the day like lions and other animals commonly do, so as to avoid over-exerting themselves and getting heat-stroke etc.

" Ron Paul.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk