Author Topic: Article claims Neanderthals died out due to not cooking-Please add comments!  (Read 2127 times)

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3050984/Did-Neanderthals-die-couldn-t-master-fire-Cooking-food-given-modern-humans-edge.html

Please add some comments to this stupid article above. It is really important as the masses start believing wholesale in all sorts of bullshit if it is repeated often enough. The article is of course highly flawed as the Inuit and others have survived in arctic areas on diets of mostly raw animal foods, plus there is plenty of evidence for Neanderthals cooking their food given evidence of hearths. And the data re raw food consumption goes against everything raw foodists experience. We find cooked meat digests worse etc. Perhaps some of us could  locate contact details of the stupid scientists and challenge them to do a genuine study on raw animal foodists?
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
You can't fix stupid.

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
My 2 cents is that cooking allows people to get more nutrients out of the same animal.
You can only scrape out so much out of raw.  Think bone broths.
And without refrigeration, many things go to waste unless you preserve them by smoking them.
So it is possible if Neanderthals allegedly did not have food storage / cooking technology that could have benefited them.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Neanderthals were almost certainly cooking, their campsite remains show a lot of evidence for the use of fire. This theory, even if biochemically possible (which I'm not convinced of--remember cooking has negative health effects that at least partially offset any advantage), it's extremely unlikely based on the archeological record.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
CK is right, the evidence that Neanderthals cooked some of their food is overwhelming.I suspect that, like modern human HGs, though,  they did not cook some of their meats, and that the more northerly Neanderthals had much  more rawish diets like the Inuit. The idea that cooking gives an edge is  highly disputable. Most of the body can be eaten raw,and bone broth does not make the entire bone digestible to put it mildly(except perhaps for tiny animals like chickens?). Raw foods have so many advantages such as the enzymes aspect, the extra bacteria and the lack of heat-created toxins created by cooking plus the fact that raw(palaeo)  foods contain higher levels of  nutrients than their cooked counterparts. The only exception are non-palaeo  grains  and legumes which have multiple health problems arising from their consumption,  and raw vegetables. But even raw vegetables  provide higher levels of nutrients only if  lightly steamed, and even then, heat-created toxins are produced, thus negating the bonus.

One other obvious effect I had forgotten is the negative epigenetic effects of eating cooked foods.

Oh, yes, GS made a good point re food-storage. However, during the Ice-Age, the Neanderthals would, like the Inuit, have been able to store their raw meats in frozen form in the snow and ice for long periods. Plus, one can dry raw meats, making long-lasting  raw jerky, without having to cook it.Plus, the Neanderthals would not have minded eating raw aged meats.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
In previous discussions, I seem to recall the the neanderthals' lineage were incorporated in MOST of us today... except if you were a pure blooded negro in the African continent?

So the neanderthals did not die out.  Most of humanity today are hybrids of different humanoids.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
In previous discussions, I seem to recall the the neanderthals' lineage were incorporated in MOST of us today... except if you were a pure blooded negro in the African continent?
Yes, 4% on average if Caucasian, 2% on average  if East Asian, last I checked.
" Ron Paul.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
Researchers were cited in this article as reporting 2.5% for both (an estimate based on currently available data):
http://discovermagazine.com/2013/march/14-interbreeding-neanderthals
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Obviously none of them have a clue since previous claims were that East Asians had more Neanderthal DNA than Europeans or the reverse. I wish scientists would not make any claims until the evidence was  genuinely strong enough. Of course, the reason they do so is to gain attention and thus boost their careers.
" Ron Paul.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk