Author Topic: Green Pastures FCLO could be sham  (Read 68265 times)

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Green Pastures FCLO could be sham
« Reply #100 on: September 26, 2015, 09:05:44 am »
I was inspired to do a fat-only breakfast by Dave Asprey's bulletproof coffee idea, blending butter and C8 (capryllic acid) MCT oil in coffee so that the fat is well-dispersed in the hot liquid.

And, I forgot to mention another fat-only breakfast: egg yolks.

Speaking of the uncomfortable reactions to VLC, it's worth mentioning that Dave Asprey suggests a protein-fasting day every week when one eats fat and carbs. His version usually involves cooked starches or grains, but cooking wouldn't be necessary. His rationale is along the lines of his bio-hacking philosophy, which is too science-y for me to care to learn. Occasionally, I enjoy a high-carb (for me) day.
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 26, 2015, 09:27:47 am »
As a group, we're more than smart enough to "hack his hack".  We've certainly sorted the good info from the bad with all the other gurus of any note.

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 26, 2015, 08:03:10 pm »
Straight fat for breakfast. I like it. Has anyone else tried this? I personally don't generally eat before about 10:30 am at the very earliest, and usually more like noon, but this sounds good.

I find this works very well for me. I feel great, as if it keeps me in ketosis from the overnite fast so that I'm not hungry again until late lunch-ish hour. I really like this bc I'm a morning person, so I can just get to work and keep going, but also bc I still won't eat in front of people, and this keeps me from needing to eat during much of the workday.  My job is analytical, rather than physically demanding though. 

I will probably start doing egg yolks, thanks for all the suggestions! :)

Offline van

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 30, 2015, 12:06:46 am »
I also like fat in the am.. and for me a small amount of protein seems to supply my need for repair.  I'm also eating wild greens first thing, mostly just chewing and sucking the juice, and then later eating fat.  i tend to snack on greens, radishes, leek leaves, celery, seaweed,,  through out the day in-between meals. Not a lot, but enough to get their minerals and alkalinity.  I tend to think that is what HG's would have done..

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 30, 2015, 12:30:21 am »
Interesting, Van.

Offline Satya

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: October 01, 2015, 04:52:27 am »
Yes, I know, after all those years I spent condemning pro-raw-dairy-advocates!  I did very occasional raw dairy experiments ever since giving it up  in Feb 2002 (sort of once a year) and found that I very gradually developed fewer, less virulent symptoms from it after about 10 years. Now, I do not immediately suffer from it, seemingly, except for some excess mucus. I do not like the mucus aspect but I do not consume raw dairy all the time anyway. If my health declined or I had to suddenly urinate more frequently etc., I would give it up instantly.

Well, at least you are open to change.  Many people keep options closed after bad experiences, which I suppose is only natural.  Or like some of the vegans or zcers, they hide what they are doing or lie to themselves and/or others (eg. claim ice cream with sugar has no carbs or some such).

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 27, 2015, 10:06:10 am »
Re: scaremongering--all I ask (as I have before) is that no one say that I didn't warn them about potential issues with long-term chronic ZC/keto (such as the bad muscle spasms and cramps and other issues I experienced, as just one of many examples). If they want to claim that's scaremongering, so be it. I'd rather be accused of excessive caution than insufficient warning.

Certainly.  And if we look at the people who have had problems vlc-zc, they are the ones highly restricting foods to muscle meats mainly...sometimes from one species.  That said, I find for myself - a northern European descendant, high fat is fine, as is low carb, but I must have the occasional carb refeed long term.  Seems like a seasonally natural approach.
Yes, Satya, I think you are wise not to restrict to restrict to the point of long-term chronic ZC regardless of season. Even Katelyn, who was more adamantly ZC than anyone, eventually added some carbs back into her diet. Good luck with your current approach.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 10:12:53 am by PaleoPhil »
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #107 on: October 27, 2015, 12:22:41 pm »
Well, at least you are open to change.  Many people keep options closed after bad experiences, which I suppose is only natural.  Or like some of the vegans or zcers, they hide what they are doing or lie to themselves and/or others (eg. claim ice cream with sugar has no carbs or some such).
That post was premature. Since then, I found, on 2 occasions, that after dairy-consumption, my stools were very copious and liquidy and my rectum hurt like sin, being very inflamed. Clearly, I still have raw dairy allergies, it is just that, being much healthier now, the various negative symptoms take longer to appear. Fortunatel,y I overdid the raw dairy consumption which is why I noticed such an effect sooner rather than later.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #108 on: November 14, 2015, 08:14:25 am »
Just throwing my two cents out there. I started taking FCLO maybe 4 years ago and noticed a marked improvement in myself immediately. I never had fish burps or any of the other complaints others have expressed.
I just spent the last two years on and off diet but am back on it full time now. I ordered another bottle which I plan to start taking soon. We'll see how it works for me.
https://www.facebook.com/djr1981
As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness.
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #109 on: February 10, 2016, 06:55:53 am »
Just throwing my two cents out there. I started taking FCLO maybe 4 years ago and noticed a marked improvement in myself immediately. I never had fish burps or any of the other complaints others have expressed.
I just spent the last two years on and off diet but am back on it full time now. I ordered another bottle which I plan to start taking soon. We'll see how it works for me.
Update.
Took my first dose this morning. I could instantly tell it's not what it was and spit it out. VERY clear response. The older fish oil tasted clean. This stuff tastes burned. I strongly discourage others from using Greener Pastures.
https://www.facebook.com/djr1981
As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness.
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 10, 2016, 08:59:05 am »
Update.
Took my first dose this morning. I could instantly tell it's not what it was and spit it out. VERY clear response. The older fish oil tasted clean. This stuff tastes burned. I strongly discourage others from using Greener Pastures.

I generally discourage the use of supplements anyway, other than as a temporary fix.

Offline Projectile Vomit

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 11, 2016, 02:12:10 am »
I mentioned WAPF's troubles and FCLO in a blog post last fall: Reflections on the First P3 Foundation Conference. Might be an interesting read for some, and includes a few links related to WAPF troubles that folks may want to follow up on.

Offline Satya

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 11, 2016, 05:04:20 am »
I don't get to visit here often lately.  Hopefully I can check in once a week at least in the future.

Eric, I really enjoyed your piece, especially:
Considering the mission of the Paleo-Primal-Price Foundation more broadly, another concern I have is its focus on diet and food. What about the value of healthy movement and activity? What about the value of learning the natural history of the areas where we live so our lifestyles better integrate into our landscapes? While there might be a niche in today’s non-profit landscape for another diet-centered foundation, I think one built on lifestyle more generally will attract a broader membership and ultimately prove more viable.

I so agree.  WAPF never wanted to consider movement when I was chapter leader.  I agree that the lifestyle approach is best.  And yeah, major creep factor from what I read about SFM's husband.  I wonder how their membership numbers are doing this year?

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 11, 2016, 06:30:39 am »
Esther Gokhale's work with posture and movement is drawn directly from people living traditional lifestyles.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk