Author Topic: Laundry soap, cleaning and personal hygiene  (Read 29675 times)

Offline Guittarman03

• Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Laundry soap, cleaning and personal hygiene
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2008, 03:44:40 am »
I never brush my teeth; sometimes I'll use my fingernail to scrape off the film that develops, but eating a lemon/lime has the same effect.  Be careful not to eat too much acidic food though - my enamel started degrading when eating like 3 limes a day. 

Also, I don't shower but once a week.  I don't have really much problems with smell (at least not any more than the avg person).  If I lived near the ocean or a clean lake, I would like to rinse off there.  As it is, I'm sure that Vegas water has tons of chemicals added.  My skin always itches so much after a shower here, so I avoid it until I really need it.

I use coconut oil in my hair, mostly as a styling product, but I get the other benefits too.

Also, has anyone tried just grabbing some dirt from outside?  I got the idea b/c of foot odor.  I came home one night from a long day of wearing boots/cleats and realized my feet stink bad.  I tried rinsing them off but that didn't do much, and I won't use toxic soap.  It suddenly occurred to me that mashing my feet around in mud could solve the problem.  Sure enough, foot odor eliminated on the spot.

Now if I feel my hands are 'dirty' - and even in the shower - I will rub down with dirt or mud, and rinse.  It's full of minerals and some basic organic compounds (grass leftovers, if you will); its sure to draw out toxins and offer good minerals to be absorbed by the body.  We've been playing in dirt for millions of years - think of when you were a kid and how you loved to roll around in the dirt/grass.  And also, don't women pay like $100/ounce for special ancient Peruvian volcanic clay compound (or as it's commonly called - mud) to put on their faces?  Seems like a lucrative business to me... but I think I'll stick with free dirt from my back yard. 
When you consume an organism it loses individuality, but its biological life never ends.  Digestion is merely a transfer of its life to mine.

livingthelife

« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2008, 09:31:47 pm »
I have an alkaline water ionizer, which also produces 1 - 4 grades of acid water (1 is for cleaning my teeth, 2 for washing the body, 3 for washing dishes and 4 for cleaning out the cats toilet box).

I now have EM's in my water (for the gut).

What are EMs?

I've been dissolving a pinch of sea salt in distilled water w/ moonlight or diffused sunlight for drinking... Curious about this "gut-friendly" water... I assume your drinking the alkalized water? How's that going for you?

Also, how large / expensive is the equipment you use?

livingthelife

« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2008, 09:50:04 pm »
I have a vat of Bi-O-Kleen degreaser that we use for all household cleaning, including produce and laundry. I do use oxyclean for sheets. I add some rosemary EO or rubbing alcohol to the Bi-O-Kleen when needed, mostly for floors and bathroom. Lots of hot water.

We use castor oil / sunflower oil blend for body and "oil pulling" (oral hygiene). Sometimes olive oil as a cleanser. Coconut oil soap for hands & hair (& fur).

Teeth: We use a lot of toothpicks. We brush with baking soda and sea salt with 1 drop of an EO blend (3/4 myrrh, 1/4 tea tree, 1 drop neem seed). The oil blend is also very good for facials, wounds, and spot treating acne. The powder is also a good deep-cleaner for skin, as a scrub or dissolved. 

Since I added RAF I don't get nearly the plaque I used to, and I imagine that chewing more fat & meat would pretty much eliminate any buildup.

Apricot kernel oil w/ chamomile EO as a moisturizer if needed, with a drop or so of fermented skate oil now and then.

No deodorant, no need.

We use a lot of fresh aloe juice on our skin and frequently mist with water throughout the day.

We also have a sauna, which helps so much in cleansing the skin and detoxing the body.

All these posts are so thought-provoking and informative. Just wonderful!

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2008, 03:44:26 am »
What are EMs?

I've been dissolving a pinch of sea salt in distilled water w/ moonlight or diffused sunlight for drinking... Curious about this "gut-friendly" water... I assume your drinking the alkalized water? How's that going for you?

Also, how large / expensive is the equipment you use?

EMs are effective microorganisms.  I think although they come from highmeat, they may be from a bottle in this case (like probiotic supplements are).
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2008, 07:24:37 pm »
EM are soil-derived bacteria.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

livingthelife

Questions for Nicola
« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2008, 10:36:32 pm »
Hi, can you tell me where you acquire the EMs? and also what type of water alkalizer / acidifier you have, it's size, and cost? I assume you are satisfied with it? Thank you!

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2008, 11:07:51 pm »
Hi, can you tell me where you acquire the EMs? and also what type of water alkalizer / acidifier you have, it's size, and cost? I assume you are satisfied with it? Thank you!

This is the only site I know of, with info on EM-products/suppliers etc.:-

http://www.eminfo.info/
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

livingthelife

« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2008, 11:17:16 pm »
Thank you, I'll investigate!

Offline Nicola

• Shaman
    • View Profile
Re: Questions for Nicola
« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2008, 05:00:57 am »

The EMs are part of my water alkalizer (I didn't have them from the beginning. My supplier came to dekalk my machine, put a new filter in after 1 year and now the EM's are part of my "magic box"); http://www.ionlife.info/

I live in Switzerland and the supplier for my Ionquelle was a firm called "Avivamed" http://tinyurl.com/6o66tk

You would have to find a supplier in the USA.

The water gives me a lot of energy and has changed my life.

Nicola

livingthelife

« Reply #34 on: November 27, 2008, 07:47:38 am »
What a glowing recommendation! I will look into this. Very expensive but, like the sauna, probably worth every penny. Thank you for the info.

coconinoz

« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2008, 02:26:59 am »

water - sea salt - citric acid

Satya

« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2009, 05:46:04 am »
Does anyone make their own soap?  I get tallow soaps from my beef rancher.  They have tallow, coconut oil, alkali and essential oils.  They are very long lasting and lather quite well.  I would like to try my own if it's not a major pain.  Anyone try this?

Offline Nicola

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 10, 2009, 04:39:45 am »
I have found a soap that I will be getting next week (via post). I was looking for a soap with the oils like Tooter has been kindly informing us about and EM which I have also added to my water ionizer.

http://tinyurl.com/cay6o4

This is all about EM (I have mentioned it before):

http://humanscience.wikia.com/wiki/EM_Project

So if you do clog up your drains with meat and fat, CO, oil pulling then some EM will clean things up for you

Nicola

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #38 on: April 10, 2009, 07:48:44 pm »
Thank you Nicola.  So I just poor a bottle down the drain if butter should clog the pipe?
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline Nicola

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 12, 2009, 04:40:42 am »
Thank you Nicola.  So I just poor a bottle down the drain if butter should clog the pipe?

EM is a product that comes in many forms (it does not have to be liquid!); it is one of those grate products that is to good - to much money and to many jobs would be lost if it came threw in many country's!

Offline Nicola

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 12, 2009, 04:41:16 am »
Today I bought this soap:

Genuine Aleppo soap, made to the original recipe, is recognized and used for its natural properties. Made from olive and laurel oils, it has been produced in exactly the same way for 4'000 years. The olive oil (70%) feeds your skin without drying it out, whilst the oil of laurel (20%) purifies and protects.
Specially recommended for cleansing and cleaning dry skin (and problem skin) and hair - even for washing clothes. 100% Biodegradable.

http://www.alepposoap.com/presentation.htm

Nicola

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #41 on: April 12, 2009, 08:54:14 pm »
    Thank you Nicola for those last two posts (and everything you post, you're so intelligent). 

I used to use bay leaves in my grain stores when I was on macrobiotic type diet, as bay helps keep insects away.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 23, 2009, 03:34:55 am »
Someone put the knowledge that some stuff absorbs into the body through the skin to strange use--caffeinated soap!

Shower Shock Caffeinated Soap
http://www.thinkgeek.com/caffeine/accessories/5a65/
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline raw

• Mammoth Hunter
  • country chickens and lambs and wild bugs
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 11, 2009, 02:46:21 am »
Teeth= I use only water and scrub, and soak my tooth brush once a week in sea salt water to clean it.

Laundry= Some eco friendly brand...

Bath & Shower= Just water and scrub with my hands. No rags involved.

I'm eating 80% to 90% meats and organs now. No need for special dental care tooth paste.

People have been brainwashed into thinking they need these products. If your eating strict raw paleo, you don't need any of those products. They are a waste of resources and energy to produce anyway.
:-*to sully, excellent choice!!! remember, i'm a tropical woman and i'm from exotic country, where the soaps consider as  luxury item, tooth brush needed and pastes don't exist, but there's enough supply of organic clay and real neem trees and all those unknown exotic materials. no yellow teeth exist (eventhough they don't eat uncooked food). most of the girls have beautiful long hair where they only use henna from trees, RITHA(natural shampoo seeds grows in the trees ), coconut oil to conditioning hair and fresh handpicked jasmine, tuberose or antique roses to decorate those gorgeous hair. hair salons don't exist. i see the young boys (around 15/16 yrs old) get naked and puts the clay around their bodies and swim in the river naked. (only when i come US, i find that adults stay  naked, and kids wear clothes). also women don't look old even their 50s, i mean wrinkle less skin. no washing machine exist. people wash their clothes manually using river water and dry them under the hot tropical sun.

i avoid taking shower as much as i can (city water is extremely poor quality ), almost never use soap, except putting fresh wheatgrass entire body. i give bath my little boy with wheatgrass water. i make his toothpaste out of wheatgrass juice and raw organic butter. he brushes his teeth once in two months. i also put wheatgrass juice, raw egg yolks (curly hair), coconut oil to clean my hair. i've lost big chunk of hair while practicing being raw vegan. 

also, Guittarman03, has the nice answers. i enjoy to read your topics very much.  ;)
bugs or country chickens

Offline Hannibal

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 11, 2009, 03:29:07 am »
Re hair washing - I use only Ghassoul clay from Marocco and it's really good, as it is very natural
Do you blame vultures for the carcass they eat?
Livin' off the raw grass fat of the land

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 11, 2009, 07:36:56 am »
"so, has anyone tried just grabbing some dirt from outside? "

i am lucky enough to live where there is a great supply of natural clay, i have slathered myself in this wonderful red clay and left it on for days, the result was a bit of insomnia! and smooth skin, i have a large amount that i harvested after a rain storm, when it was extremely silty and fine.  i als have a few caves that supply this delicious wonderful white clay that i have eaten but may use for my hair now that i think about it.   i have definitely used grainer clay and dirt as a scrub though...i have a friend who prefers to wipe his but with dirt(when pooping in the forest, we hike A LOT!) because he swears its superior absorbency/cleanliness when compared to leaves!

effective microorganisms are excellent, i have used them for my own health as well as for agricultural purposes with amazing results! http://www.emamerica.com is a source i am familiar with

i think soap wart is a pretty common plant in the united states, although i think it is a bit tedious and unnecessary the roots can be boiled into a soap for hair and skin

currently i use no soap, i loofa wet or dry maybe once a day, cold/cool showers
baking soda and a toothbrush for the teeth, and baking soda in my hair, although i may try some clay soon and baking soda/vinegar for the laundry

i do use jojoba oil for my skin and hair as i live in an extremely dry, high altitude climate which tends to the extreme hot or cold and my diet/skin has not been able to compensate for this regardless of the amount of water/fat intake and lack of showers

no deoderant though, i think i maybe have worn it a few times in my life but it seriously grosses me out,  and i dont remember who mentioned it but boys that smell like boys are far more attractive then boys who smell like chemicals!   

Offline wodgina

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Opportunistic Carnivore
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 11, 2009, 06:00:53 pm »
"so, has anyone tried just grabbing some dirt from outside? "

i am lucky enough to live where there is a great supply of natural clay, i have slathered myself in this wonderful red clay and left it on for days, the result was a bit of insomnia! and smooth skin, i have a large amount that i harvested after a rain storm, when it was extremely silty and fine.  i als have a few caves that supply this delicious wonderful white clay that i have eaten but may use for my hair now that i think about it.   i have definitely used grainer clay and dirt as a scrub though...i have a friend who prefers to wipe his but with dirt(when pooping in the forest, we hike A LOT!) because he swears its superior absorbency/cleanliness when compared to leaves!

effective microorganisms are excellent, i have used them for my own health as well as for agricultural purposes with amazing results! http://www.emamerica.com is a source i am familiar with

i think soap wart is a pretty common plant in the united states, although i think it is a bit tedious and unnecessary the roots can be boiled into a soap for hair and skin

currently i use no soap, i loofa wet or dry maybe once a day, cold/cool showers
baking soda and a toothbrush for the teeth, and baking soda in my hair, although i may try some clay soon and baking soda/vinegar for the laundry

i do use jojoba oil for my skin and hair as i live in an extremely dry, high altitude climate which tends to the extreme hot or cold and my diet/skin has not been able to compensate for this regardless of the amount of water/fat intake and lack of showers

no deoderant though, i think i maybe have worn it a few times in my life but it seriously grosses me out,  and i dont remember who mentioned it but boys that smell like boys are far more attractive then boys who smell like chemicals!   

I second that for girls, I really hate perfumes/makeup/deodourants/clothes smelling of laundry powder urgghh

I like the idea of clay for my armpits, I grap hand fulls of sand and rub when I have my morning swim down the beach..... although I like the way I smell anyway, unless I've eaten crap.

I was thinking about why girls get so addicted to lip balm, it's because they crave fat and after eating a fatty meal your lips are covered with fat and protected.
“Integrity has no need of rules.”

Albert Camus

Offline DeadRamones

• Bear Hunter
  • My boy eating!
    • View Profile
    • Acumen Athletics
« Reply #47 on: December 13, 2009, 11:57:09 am »
What about for shaving cream?

I tried switching razors, I tried just water. It only worked on some parts of my face, but cuts me up bad on other spots. My sister suggested yogurt. Not sure if I'm really down for that though.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 13, 2009, 09:14:36 pm »
I tried all three of the least toxic, environmentally-friendly shaving foams and lotions from my local healthfood/green product store and they were all lousy. So I still mainly use an electric razor and I use one of the somewhat less toxic conventional shave gels on those occasions I use a razor. I had hoped to go back to using a razor regularly, because razors shave better than any electric and my skin is less easily cut or irritated by razors now, but I'm not thrilled about the ingredients in the shave gels and creams that actually work. My skin is still sensitive enough and my beard tough enough that lotion alone doesn't do it for me.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #49 on: December 13, 2009, 11:01:48 pm »
I just use standard shaving -cream(aloe vera added and the like). I can't use an electric shaver as it's useless for shaving my rather tough skin.
" Ron Paul.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk