Author Topic: Pacific Northwest here i come!  (Read 22092 times)

Offline yon yonson

• Global Moderator
  • Chief
    • View Profile
Pacific Northwest here i come!
« on: June 11, 2009, 01:03:48 pm »
so im on an adventure in the pacific northwest US. i bought a one way ticket to portland oregon and am not sure when im returning home to austin tx. right now im staying with some distant relatives but im probably going to be couchsurfing or woofing at some point. i'll also probably be going to eugene oregon, seattle washington, and maybe up to british columbia. im hoping i will get to sample lots of new raw meats up here... so far so good.

i was at one of the farmers markets here today and guess what! one farm sells grass fed yak! unfortunately the guy said they were out that day but that they're about to slaughter two yaks shortly so i should be able to get some within the week. the ranch was called pine mountain or something but their website says nothing about yak, it only says they sell bison and elk (both grass fed). but anyways, he also sells lots of the organs like rocky mountain oysters and stuff so im gonna try those out too (he was out today). so i settled for an elk heart instead. anyways, i was really excited so i thought id share. i'll keep you posted.

so far though, i havent been able to locate a good source of fat. i was kinda banking on the whole foods to have similar offerings to the one in austin (which has suet and marrow up the wazoo), but no dice. i settled for some raw goat milk today for fat and it went down surprisingly well (so far). im gonna go to another farmer's market tomorrow and see if they have some marrow or something. before i left i did make about 2 pounds of pemmican and about 1 pound of rendered tallow. so i have that as a back up but i want to save that for if i go backpacking somewhere.

also, there is a primitive skills workshop being offered around the end of june and it looks like i'll be learning how to make an atlatl and maybe bows and arrows. then maybe i can do some hunting for my own meat  :o

any who, i guess i'll try and keep you guys updated if i find some more cool meats and whatnot.

ps: does anyone know the area or live near here? any tips for staying raw paleo here? we should meet up. i've got a pretty flexible schedule  :)

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Re: Pacific Northwest here i come!
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2009, 05:40:27 pm »
Ah I loved Oregon when I was there in SAD-eating days. Beautiful scenery. Can't help you re food-sources as all I did then was eat processed foods.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2009, 06:54:27 pm by TylerDurden »
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

William

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2009, 06:42:54 pm »
Aboriginal diet in that area was seafood, and they did well on it. You might consider what of it is paleo.

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2009, 08:41:20 pm »
Exotic stuff for me.
Take pictures!

Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline yon yonson

• Global Moderator
  • Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2009, 11:00:07 am »
so i've yet to find a decent source of fat here. im still hoping to find some suet/marrow/hide fat at one of the farmer's markets but not counting on it. i contacted some nearby farms as well and one said they might have some suet (they're gonna call me back tomorrow).

so, with an unclear source of good fat, i just thought i'd ask you guys what i should compromise with if i can't find any. here are my options for alternative sources of fat as i see them:

- raw goat cheese (or cow but doesnt digest as well for me)
- raw goat milk (already bought some and it seems to digest relatively well)
- pasturized organic grass-fed butter (from cow)
- pasturized goat butter
- egg yolks (not really an option for me as i hate them but thought id put it out there)
- raw grain-fed fatty beef
- avocado/nuts + an increase in my intake of fruits which is very low at the moment
- raw VCO (could also combine this with more fruits)
- just start eating paleo, sans the raw part   :'( (lightly cooked meats; probably grain fed)

anyways, opinions? i hear butter digests well for some, but would pasturized be OK? the raw goat milk seems like an OK option but its really expensive ($8 per half gallon). raw goat cheese seems to digest pretty well also but its expensive too. i almost am most drawn to the increase in avocado/nuts/VCO with more fruits. i was zero carb for the last two months, but i might be able to ease back into them.

by the way, elk heart is very tasty! i recommend it.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2009, 04:31:47 pm »
You obviously need to find an online grassfed meat farm which can deliver suet/marrow etc. direct to your home.

As regards what to do when raw animal fats are unavailable, what I do is either go in for some raw chicken eggs(this never really works for me as I develop a food-intolerance to chicken eggs if I eat more than a tiny amount of them at a time) or I switch to organic or nonorganic fruit, depending on what's available.

Don't touch raw dairy(and especially not pasteurised dairy) as you'll regret it. Studies have shown time and again that pasteurised dairy is much worse even than cooked meat in effect. Even the fanatically anti-raw beyondveg.com site admits this.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2009, 05:04:35 pm by TylerDurden »
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2009, 04:52:39 pm »
My fallback choice is raw organic egg yolks.
I do not like vco or evoo.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

William

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2009, 06:22:51 pm »

so, with an unclear source of good fat, i just thought i'd ask you guys what i should compromise with if i can't find any.

One of either USWellness meats or Slanker's will ship grassfed tallow; people have bought the 30 pound bucket.

Please note that in spite of all the negativity from one of our members, no one has ever experienced any problems with tallow, even after eating it for years in pemmican.

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2009, 10:49:58 pm »
I've never been that far west.  I went to Arizona one summer and was teased for the way I pronounce Oregon (with 3 syllables, lol!)  Have a wonderful trip!!

My fallback choice is raw organic egg yolks.
Same for me if I'm in a crunch on a raw fat source.  I love them, though, so it's not so intolerable for me.  Also, I would do better with lightly cooked meat than dairy, avocado, or nuts.  But that's just me.

Look forward to hearing about your trip!

Offline yon yonson

• Global Moderator
  • Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2009, 08:16:41 am »
great news! i had the use of a car today so my mission was to find a source of fat by calling various farms. i called a few farms and none had any fat to speak of at the moment, but then a farm called me back after i left a message earlier and said they had loads of beef suet! so i drove about 40 miles to Abundant Life Farms. when i got there the guy checked his fridge and said he was out... wtf! but then he said he had tons of pork fat so he gave me about 4 pounds for free just because he didnt have the beef suet he promised. pretty sweet. i know pork fat isnt as ideal but good enough for me. now im pretty much set on fat for at least a few weeks so i can concentrate on just exploring portland now. im excited!

also, yeah, elk heart is definitely one of my favorite raw meats. it tastes amazing; not gamy at all! now go out and try and find one

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2009, 04:50:48 pm »
One of either USWellness meats or Slanker's will ship grassfed tallow; people have bought the 30 pound bucket.

Please note that in spite of all the negativity from one of our members, no one has ever experienced any problems with tallow, even after eating it for years in pemmican.

What a load of nonsense, given so many people's negative experiences with cooked food, including tallow! And kindly restrict advocation of cooked-foods to the hot topics forum. It's highly inappropriate.
" Ron Paul.

Offline yon yonson

• Global Moderator
  • Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2009, 10:40:36 am »
today i got some fresh wild sea trout... nothing special in my opinion. didn't have much of a taste. i found an awesome supplier of grass fed lamb at the farmers market today. had some fun eating raw meat out in public. just had it in a plastic bag and no one noticed. that's pretty liberating. also, i brought some of the newly acquired pork fat with me today while i was out and kind of forgot about it. it was room temp for most of the day and still seems very fresh and it almost doesn't seem like it needs to be refrigerated. has anyone else had this experience with pork fat? beef fat seems to start smelling after its room temp for an extended period of time.

Offline yon yonson

• Global Moderator
  • Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2009, 12:19:28 pm »
still goin strong. had some hawaiian style poke (raw tuna) at a sushi restaurant yesterday with the people im staying with. hadn't even heard of it til i saw it on the menu, but very good stuff. today i hiked for 10 miles in Forest Park. it was pretty amazing. i did it all barefoot too (got pretty good at fox walking). by the way, my legs are usually pretty sore after hiking for that long, but barefoot caused no such problems. its amazing how well our bodies function when put in paleo situations. also, at mile 5 i chowed on some pork suet and tenderloin. it was fun just rippin it apart in the forest. on the way back i ran into a bunch of salmonberry bushes and snacked on those for a while. they look like a cross between a strawberry and a raspberry but they were really tasty. then, after i trekked back to the house, i had two lambs hearts and about a pound of lamb steak for din din. mmmmmm

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2009, 05:12:02 pm »
    Yes, candles are good nutrition.

"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2009, 05:18:03 pm »
    Yes, candles are good nutrition.

(LOL!) Very good point!
" Ron Paul.

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2009, 05:46:00 pm »
    Thanks.  Nice to see you laugh.  It's not a paraffin candle.  It's like those ones made in colonial times.  I guess when people got hungry enough they ate their candles.  Why not?  People have eaten worse.  We're in this for health though hopefully.  I need very edible fats, not substandard other usage fats. 

Do you get brains where you live?  I want to eat a brain.  I think it's illegal here.  I will inquire, maybe US Wellness or Northstar Bison or some farm in Pennsylvania or other neighboring state. 

Last night I dined in a restaurant with no raw meat on the menu.  I asked to speak with the owner, and he prepared my dish himself and even asked me about each ingredient he thought of mixing with it.
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2009, 06:10:50 pm »

Do you get brains where you live?  I want to eat a brain.  I think it's illegal here.  I will inquire, maybe US Wellness or Northstar Bison or some farm in Pennsylvania or other neighboring state. 

I can only get hold of pigs' brains which are grainfed like almost all pork in the UK. Theoretically, only cattle brains are banned  from being sold in the UK due to BSE, but farmers generally prefer to throw away all animals' brains due to concerns re being picked on by the government etc.

You'll just have to keep checking on grassfed farms until you find some reasonable farmer who will sell them.
" Ron Paul.

William

« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2009, 07:00:06 pm »
Yes, we are doing this for health, that's why I eat pemmican which is proven to support health.

If you can suggest a better source of available fat please do so.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2009, 11:30:23 pm »
Yes, we are doing this for health, that's why I eat pemmican which is proven to support health.

If you can suggest a better source of available fat please do so.

I see you can't take a joke. Imagine, eating candlewax for health! Tut tut! And raw suet or raw tongue  are a far better examples of  healthy fats.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 12:58:31 am by TylerDurden »
" Ron Paul.

Offline yon yonson

• Global Moderator
  • Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2009, 12:31:50 pm »
i finally got yak meat! i bought a little less than a pound of skirt steak (it was pretty expensive) from grass fed yak here in oregon. i just got done eating it... it was pretty damn good. not the best meat i've had (i actually like the lamb meat here more as well as the elk heart i had a while back). it tasted a lot like bison but it definitely had an after taste that was like grassy or something. hard to describe but it was interesting.

the past couple days i've been eating lamb kabob meat almost exclusively. right now it's tasting waaay better than the grassfed organic beef here. i really want to try goat next and i've also been looking for some good quality turkey. i saw whole foods has organic free range turkey, but it doesnt really say what they're fed. i might try it anyway though. anyways, im hoping to head to the oregon coast within the next couple days... im probably gonna try the rideshare thing from craigslist as i dont have a car. hopefully that works out... might have to hitchhike

Offline Hannibal

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2009, 12:56:35 pm »
In Poland, where I live, I can easily buy veal brain and it's quite tasty
lamb brain is banned because of some EU's stupid regulations
Do you blame vultures for the carcass they eat?
Livin' off the raw grass fat of the land

Offline yon yonson

• Global Moderator
  • Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2009, 03:24:36 am »
hey guys, figured it's time for an update. i was in eugene for the last five days. it was a pretty awesome town. very cool hiking nearby. anyways, i got a ride back to portland the other day and i just met up with this farmer who goes to one of the farmer's markets here in portland. we hit it off and it looks like im going to be working on their farm within the next couple days (depends when i can get a ride out there). their farm is on the oregon coast and the raise grassfed beef and lamb! the couple running it is very nice and actually pretty accepting of my diet (i told them upfront and they seemed intrigued). here's the farm website fyi: http://www.meadowharvest.com/

anyways im pretty excited. also looking forward to digging for clams and crabbing in the nearby bay.

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2009, 07:44:08 am »
I used to be able to get Dungeness crabs from the Pacific coast.  Have you ever had one of those?  The first time I ate one it suddenly made me much more tolerant to very hot weather.  The summer of '07 was hot as heck, around 98 F every day.  It was making me miserable until I ate a Dungeness crab.  All of sudden the heat didn't bother me. 

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2009, 08:52:51 am »
I love crabs, they're so healthy and so much cheaper than lobster.
" Ron Paul.

Offline yon yonson

• Global Moderator
  • Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2009, 10:18:04 am »
so i've never had raw crab... is it pretty easy to get the meat out? any tips would be appreciated.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk