Author Topic: Pacific Northwest here i come!  (Read 22096 times)

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Pacific Northwest here i come!
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2009, 10:38:01 pm »
I think Tyler said before that you freeze them and chop them up like that and then meat comes out easily.

Offline yon yonson

• Global Moderator
  • Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2009, 11:18:30 pm »
cool. i'll be doing that when i get my hands on some crab.

so, i've been herding sheep and cows for the last two days! i'm also learning how to install portable fencing to keep them on their rotated pastures. pretty neat really. as for food, they have about 4 freezers full of meat and i've just been taking the cheapest cuts and stuff from them as payment.

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2009, 11:21:03 pm »
Do you think you could learn enough to run a small to medium size meat farm operation? Everything from taking care of the animals to butchering? It is my dream to have my own ranch to feed myself and perhaps produce enough to sell to pay for the taxes on the land and some disposable income.

Offline yon yonson

• Global Moderator
  • Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2009, 06:40:34 am »
i definitely think i'll be able to learn enough to run a small lamb operation but the farm im on sends their animals to a butcher so i won't be seeing any of the actual processing unfortunately. im learning lots about fencing and rotating pastures. i guess im not learning about the deworming and such but i probably wouldnt do those anyway on my own farm. in the future im hoping to put goats on my parents small plot of land so this is definitely helping me learn about maintaining a small farm. i'd recommend hooking up with a local farm for a similar style internship. let me know if you have other questions.

Offline yon yonson

• Global Moderator
  • Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2009, 11:43:11 pm »
damn. so we came back from a farmer's market yesterday and found out that a coyote had killed a lamb while we were gone. they sent me out to investigate so i went out and scared off the vultures to take a look. there was just the head and skin left! so i got the ear tag number and everything and reported back. then i got to thinking i could go back and get the brain and eyes so i could try those for the first time. but then i got held up because we had to herd the cattle into the barn for sorting and that lasted all day. so i went out this morning to see if i could get the brain and eyes but the head was completely gone... only the skin left. oh well. that would have been pretty awesome though. fresh killed lamb brain and eyes for the first time. bah, anyways, just wanted to let you guys know.

Offline yon yonson

• Global Moderator
  • Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2009, 11:51:03 pm »
by the way, i dont know how long i'll be staying on the farm (most likely from 1-3 more weeks) but then im thinking of finding rides down the west coast and then eventually over back to austin, tx. if anyone here is on the way and wouldnt mind a raw paleo guest for a day or two, let me know. i'd really like to meet another rpd'er. it just seems like it'd be soooo nice to sit down and eat some raw meats with someone instead of by myself. so, if you're up for it, send me a pm and maybe we can work something out.

edit: for clarification, this applies to anyone in oregon, california, nevada, arizona, new mexico, and texas. maybe if i go a more northern route even utah and colorado.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2009, 12:11:16 am by yon yonson »

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2009, 07:57:46 am »
hi yon, glad you're having fun out there!  i wish i were in your line of travel cuz I'd love to meet someone from here!!!, but I'm on the complete opposite coast :S  are you taking any photos?

Offline yon yonson

• Global Moderator
  • Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2009, 10:54:53 am »
yep, taking lots of photos for sure! not sure how but i'd be happy to post some...

Offline yon yonson

• Global Moderator
  • Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2009, 09:29:48 am »
update: still on the same farm and planning on staying for another week or so. i'm having a great time learning about how to raise really great grass fed meats! they got some fresh lamb straight from the butcher the other day so i got to try some fresh mutton and it was pretty amazing. had some really good lamb marrow too! also, i've seen some of their beef has that reeeaaaally yellow fat like in that video that goodsamaratin posted on youtube a while back. really good stuff. but ya, i've been selling their stuff at 3 different farmer's markets and having lots of fun back at the farm.

anyways, it looks like im gonna head out sometime soon after july 24th. so if anyone is between oregon and texas and wants to meet up/host me, let me know!

Offline yon yonson

• Global Moderator
  • Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2009, 10:36:23 pm »
he, i guess i forgot to make a post saying that i returned to austin around the beginning of august. a little late i guess. BUT, i had an amazing time working on the farm. i learned a lot. anyways, i thought i'd show off some pics (if i can figure it out, hope this works).

this is me on top of spencer butte in eugene, oregon

some of the sheep

on the lookout for coyotes

haha, i got to name this newborn 'Suet'

at the market

look how fucking huge he is!

anyways, there ya go. i can post more later maybe

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2009, 04:37:23 am »
Great stuff.

Offline yon yonson

• Global Moderator
  • Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 31, 2009, 05:37:57 am »
glad you liked it. here's some more pics

this is what's left of the sheep the coyote got to. a few hours later

more sheep

pretty nice scene to wake up to

king of the shit pile

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #37 on: August 31, 2009, 06:01:42 am »
awesome pics. post more!
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 31, 2009, 07:04:57 am »
great to 'see' you!

looks like you had an amazing experience!

William

« Reply #39 on: August 31, 2009, 08:04:59 am »
Those were hungry 'yotes!  I'm assuming that it takes more than one to eat a whole sheep.

Offline yon yonson

• Global Moderator
  • Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 31, 2009, 08:12:16 am »
these are highland cattle. they weren't on the farm i was on but i saw these when bike riding near portland

this is a salmonberry. they're good and pretty abundant

on a hike in the columbia river gorge

this is the beach near the farm (manzanita)

the resident donkey

Offline yon yonson

• Global Moderator
  • Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 31, 2009, 08:14:39 am »
Those were hungry 'yotes!  I'm assuming that it takes more than one to eat a whole sheep.

well we didnt actually see the coyotes but ya, i think they hunt in packs. the real damage though was when the vultures came. they picked it completely clean.

Offline phatdave

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 31, 2009, 10:49:59 am »
WWOOOOOW amazing pics! the salmonberry is incredible! as is the river photo! also, you look great mate, amazing in fact! Getting out there, getting suck in! So strong and healthy! :) aaaa makes me happy to see pics like that, I cant wait to earn enough to migrate from the big city of london. good boy!!

david, 22, london

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #43 on: August 31, 2009, 04:56:03 pm »
I love Oregon! Those beautiful sand-beaches endlessly stretching everywhere. Those mountains inland etc. If only I could live there.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline wodgina

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Opportunistic Carnivore
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 01, 2009, 08:05:41 pm »
Cool pics!

“Integrity has no need of rules.”

Albert Camus

Offline yon yonson

• Global Moderator
  • Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 11, 2009, 10:02:14 am »
so i guess i might as well use this as a sort of journal too...

i've been having some strange things going on lately that i think are related to my diet. not necessarily bad things, they might even be good signs. anyways, i've been on a vlc raw paleo diet for about 9 months now. just a couple weeks ago though i started getting really bad mucus in my throat that i would either have to blow out my nose or hock out in my spit. it's lasted for a few weeks, but seems to be dissipating. i never felt ill really, just lots and lots of mucus (some greenish, some white or clear). and now im noticing that i don't desire fats nearly as much as i used to. just been eating lots of meat and only a little fat. I should also note that i started eating one or two small cubes of liver once a day for a week or two in the middle of all this. it started to taste way better than i remembered it. but now it doesn't sound to good and i stopped eating it a few days ago. but the weird thing is that today i've been noticing that my sense of smell has been extremely sensitive. i've been smelling pretty intense smells all day. anyways, i thought it was a pretty strange set of events. i should also say that i still have occasional mucus but usually only in the morning.

anyone have an opinion of what might be going on? im not too fond of the whole idea of 'detox' but it does kinda seem like that might be involved...

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #46 on: September 11, 2009, 05:03:05 pm »
I've had mucus appearing but more usually after eating some cooked foods. I take it a sign of detox, re getting rid of the  toxins from cooked foods(the mucus was particularly evident after consuming any pastry or dairy, during certain experiments.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #47 on: September 24, 2010, 06:27:55 am »
I love crabs, they're so healthy and so much cheaper than lobster.

If I wanted to keep a lobster alive a little while, what do they eat?  Is stabbing them in the back of the head the quickest way to kill them?  I've only talked with them or ate them before, never fed them or killed them.   
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #48 on: September 24, 2010, 06:30:27 am »
    Beautiful pictures!  Have you tried the highland beef?  Is that you with the donkey in the bottom picture?

these are highland cattle. they weren't on the farm i was on but i saw these when bike riding near portland

this is a salmonberry. they're good and pretty abundant

on a hike in the columbia river gorge

this is the beach near the farm (manzanita)

the resident donkey
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #49 on: September 24, 2010, 08:30:26 am »
    If I wanted to keep a lobster alive a little while, what do they eat? 
Any animal that gets near them that doesn't kill them. I'd recommend feeder fish but they're so loaded with bad stuff from their diets and close quarters that you don't want to pass that into your food. Do you have any ponds or streams local you can go catch some minnows in?
I believe lobsters will also scavenge. If this is the case drop some of your raw meat in the bottom of the tank and it should be good.
https://www.facebook.com/djr1981
As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness.
-Henry David Thoreau

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk