Author Topic: GoodSamaritan's Experiments  (Read 173729 times)

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
GoodSamaritan's Experiments
« on: July 09, 2009, 08:58:12 pm »
I've been on raw paleo for some 1.5+ years gradually going lower carb.

This time I will experiment with a mono diet of raw beef muscle, fat, bone marrow, liver and structured water of reverse osmosis + raw kalamansi.

Why beef? I have a good source of freshly killed daily (I live in the biggest metropolis near enough to the biggest high quality wet market)

Why reverse osmosis?  That's what we got at the water store made fresh daily and my TDS meter says it's fine around 6 TDS.

Why kalamansi?  This is what we got in place of lemons.  Lemons are used in the VCO detox, the zero carb, zero protein concoction against candida, so there should be minimal carbs in kalamansi, just enough to give my reverse osmosis water some structure and some minerals.

This evening on my way home from a social engagement I passed by the wet market to find the highest quality heavenly tasting cut of authentic "Batangas beef" sirloin, got it for 270 pesos per kilo.  I got 4 by 1/2 kilo slices. Some for the kids as well.  Got some fresh raw beef liver 1/2 kilo at 120 pesos per kilo.  To convert to US Dollars, divide by 48.50 = 5.57 USD per kilo = 2.53 USD per pound.  Is that cheap or expensive in your country?

I was hungry when I got home after walking and walking and taking the train during rush hour.

So my all beef diet started this evening.  I have decided this experiment will run from 1 to 2 weeks.

I'm thinking the body can do wonders with a mono diet because it has expectations of what is to come and knows what to do with it.  Let's see.

Thanks to Lex for this inspiration to experiment.

I have to learn what needs to be learned on a pure raw beef diet. 

I read there was a Dr. Salisbury who cured some of his patients with an all meat diet?
« Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 09:03:52 pm by goodsamaritan »
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline lex_rooker

• Trailblazer
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: GoodSamaritan's Experiments
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2009, 12:56:54 am »
GS,
I wish you all the best in your experiment.  Just remember, a change of this magnitude may cause some initial problems such as constipation, or loose bowels, and low energy as your body adapts to the new diet.  Most everyone who has made the transition successfully has gone through the same thing, including me.

Your body has to go through significant changes to convert from burning glucose as its primary fuel, to burning fatty acids.  These changes must take place at all levels in the body from changes in enzyme production all the way down to mitochondria at the cellular level.  All this takes time.

Goodspeed,

Lex

Offline wodgina

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Opportunistic Carnivore
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2009, 08:29:40 am »
Yeah 1 - 2 weeks for such I major shift is probably not long enough. You might get a head ache/feel spacey/ill. I would be interested to see how you though.
“Integrity has no need of rules.”

Albert Camus

Offline Roselene

• Deer Hunter
    • View Profile
    • I like We Want 2 Live.
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2009, 09:52:21 am »
How many months did Dr Salisbury's experiment take to show good results?

I would think any major change in diet should run a couple of years to give it a good shot.  I'm sorry, but I would think so.

How about beef for two weeks, then another meet the next two weeks, and so on, to give near zero carb a go?

Offline Nicola

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2009, 07:31:01 pm »
GS,

Your body has to go through significant changes to convert from burning glucose as its primary fuel, to burning fatty acids.  These changes must take place at all levels in the body from changes in enzyme production all the way down to mitochondria at the cellular level.  All this takes time.

Goodspeed,

Lex

Lex, I thought that with meat the body would be converting the protein to glucose like you said?

Nicola

William

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2009, 08:16:53 pm »
Lex, I thought that with meat the body would be converting the protein to glucose like you said?

Nicola

According to Phinney and Mercola, this is only a problem with excess protein.

Offline Nicola

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2009, 08:39:22 pm »
According to Phinney and Mercola, this is only a problem with excess protein.

May be, but it is not natural to weigh meat and fat and all the rest of the "numbers" zerocarb's do to get "it" right. Some say you need lots of fat and those that do it gain weight, feel sick...or the other story about fat for bowel movements???

Nicola

Offline Josh

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2009, 10:50:07 pm »
Good luck mate. Will be interesting to see how it works for you, as you're coming from all raw already.

Offline akaikumo

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2009, 07:13:02 am »

Nicola

The liver converts a percentage of protein to glucose, because a few cell types in the body require glucose to function.

Otherwise, once transitioned to zero-carb, the body is running on ketones not glucose.
And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom. - Anais Nin

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2009, 03:55:46 pm »
I would suggest a 5-6 week trial. By that stage, you should have a good idea as to  whether it's a success or a failure re health.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2009, 08:19:54 pm »
Gosh, if it is 5 to 6 weeks, I think I would need different animals. 
I would alternate land animals with sea food.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

William

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2009, 11:22:35 pm »
I would suggest a 5-6 week trial. By that stage, you should have a good idea as to  whether it's a success or a failure re health.

Note Lex's comments on how long changes take.
3 months might be a fair trial, but if it does not work for you that would be evident sooner.

Offline lex_rooker

• Trailblazer
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2009, 11:44:53 am »

Yes, my experiments seem to demonstrate that about 58% (who really knows), of all the protein we eat is converted to glucose.  That doesn't stop the body from converting many of its tissues to run more efficiently on fatty acids.  As I understand it, tissues in the eyes and some areas of the brain require glucose to function.  Most other tissue will do fine on ketones or fatty acids once they gear up for it.

Many of the body's tissues can utilize either glucose or fatty acids.  Cells metabolize glucose using a fermentation process.  To utilize fatty acids requires mitochondria as part of the process.  Most cancer cells are short on mitochondria and therefore require glucose to grow and multiply as they can't efficiently metabolize fatty acids.  Normal cells can use either glucose or fatty acids, but seem to require some time to switch enzymes or add additional mitochondria to gain maximum efficiency on one fuel or the other.

Like automobiles that have a dual fuel system (will run on either propane or unleaded gas), each fuel type has its specific requirements and trade-offs and the engine must be specifically adjusted to maximize efficiency for the most used fuel.  The alternate fuel will work but power and milage will suffer unless the engine is re-tuned.  Our bodies are the same.  The only difference is that the body will detect the new fuel and over time will adjust itself.

Lex

Lex

Offline lex_rooker

• Trailblazer
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2009, 11:49:10 am »
Gosh, if it is 5 to 6 weeks, I think I would need different animals. 
I would alternate land animals with sea food.

Why would you think that you would need meat from different animals if your experiment is extended beyond a couple of weeks?  I've eaten beef almost exclusively for several years now and have experienced no problems whatsoever. All other meats (or eggs) make up less than 5% of my total diet.  Beef makes up the other 95%.

Lex

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2009, 12:48:15 pm »
My update, the kalamansi in water in the morning didn't work out, it just made my tummy acidic.  And I had no appetite for raw beef at breakfast. 

The next day I tried coconut water with the meat / fat - calmer stomach.

My next days will be coconut water with the meat / fat in the mornings, then raw beef at lunch and dinner.  Still adjusting...

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2009, 09:53:36 am »
This pure raw beef diet is a lot harder to execute than I thought.
I'm having mis-starts for various reasons...

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2009, 01:19:43 pm »
GS,
I wish you all the best in your experiment.  Just remember, a change of this magnitude may cause some initial problems such as constipation, or loose bowels, and low energy as your body adapts to the new diet.  Most everyone who has made the transition successfully has gone through the same thing, including me.

Hmmm, maybe the gradual change approach is better, because I gradually adopted a higher-fat, lower-carb, more raw meats diet over time and it had the opposite effect--giving me small improvements in bowels right from the start until after a month and a half to two months they were better than ever before in my life. But maybe that's just me.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

William

« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2009, 07:19:31 pm »
Mixing fat meat and anything from plant source did not work for me - they fought in my stomach.

Enough tallow turned out to be essential, because I could not do the raw beef fat.

Offline van

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2009, 09:15:54 am »
Goodsamaritan,   what works well for me....  when I was eating wai etc,  there was a lot of thinking about when, what, how much etc.... or else I would lose weight and energy....  So first thing, eat ONLY when hungry, charles says only eat when you think you could eat a whole steak.  This will help with thinking about eating at certain times and certain foods.    You might want to forgo the coconut water for a while. Or at least forgo the idea that it is still necessary for your hydration or health or whatever....  I have lived near the equator and have also used it alot.  But I never thought it sat well with longer digesting foods like fat and meat.  It can ferment very quickly.   Plus there's always the tendency to follow the minds thoughts, like,  'It's morning time,  I need to hydrate"..... if you are thirsty, drink water.  It won't trigger an insulin response and cause false hunger.  If you can, exercise before eating your fist meal.   Then, when hungry, you might like to take the Bear's advice and to start with fat, and when it no longer seems tasty, then start with the leaner portions of meat.  Look for the stop.  That stop will teach you each time you eat, how much fat, and how much meat or protein your body needs at that time.  Acute listening for me has given me a lot more energy.  Presumably from not having to digest and eliminate excess fat or protein.  I eat twice per day.  But once again only eat when truly hungry.  Snacking will alter your perception of true hunger and make it more difficult for your body to become a fat burner for energy.  Especially if every time you think you need a pick me up from a bite of fruit, that you give in.  You might want to look into that phenomena.  Having come from a BIG fruit background, that was a most difficult habit to change.  I totally agree with Lex, in that it can really take months to take full stock of the change.  But one think you can pay attention to right away is the effects of keeping blood sugar stable throughout the day.  It can become your Bible for longevity.    Hope this helps.  I have been following your entries for some time and appreciate your willingness to look for what is true for you.    Van

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2009, 09:50:09 am »
Mixing fat meat and anything from plant source did not work for me - they fought in my stomach.

Enough tallow turned out to be essential, because I could not do the raw beef fat.
Yeah, tallow is easier for me too. It's not truly raw, but I can digest it and enjoy better as I transition to raw.

Pemmican was too time consuming for me and I would quickly run out, because I don't yet have a meat factory like Lex. ;D So I came up with a couple of shortcuts that are working well for me. I dip the beef jerky strips into the tallow like a chip dip--this and pemmican are now yummy to me even though I started out disliking pemmican--or add cold or melted tallow to raw or lightly cooked meats.

I love having my clean mouth back now that I finished up my remaining fruits and am back to meats and fats. At the work cafeteria I had burger meat, a couple hard boiled eggs and just some greens with broccoli and olive oil on top of it all--because everything there is way too lean and olive oil is the only fat there I can eat.

Hooray! It's great waking up with a clean and refreshed mouth in the morning. The carbs from fruits were probably feeding a lot of bad bacteria in my mouth who were stinking up the place. Good riddance to the SuperInfinity diet, hello meat & fat diet! Yay! I feel the positive vibes starting to flow back into my body after every meal already.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2009, 04:31:53 pm »
This pure raw beef diet is a lot harder to execute than I thought.
I'm having mis-starts for various reasons...

Well I suppose you could try other meats like goat or water buffalo. Perhaps with 7 or 8 different raw meats you could handle it over time. That said, not finding the meats tasty/having no appetite for meats (even just 1 meal a day)is usually a sign that one needs carbs. (Though I myself didn't get that feeling until at least 2 weeks into the diet or more).

"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline lex_rooker

• Trailblazer
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2009, 11:46:57 pm »
GS,
I also went through a period where meat and fat just didn't sound appetizing at all.  Of course carbs sounded wonderful.  I just had to push through this phase and it took several weeks.  My method was just not to eat until I was hungry for meat and fat.  I'd try to eat a little every day, but if I could only eat a few oz then so be it.  I did loose some weight during this time, but over a few week's time, I found my hunger gradually increasing and I was eating more and more meat and fat and craving carbs less and less.

This is also the time when my energy flagged (for obvious reasons), but again, I just made my commitment and stuck it out.  Most people don't find it worth the effort.  In my case, I had so many health problems that I felt I had no choice.  It was make this work or take all the medications for the diabetes, high blood pressure, cholesterol & etc.  If you go back in the archives, I think you'll find that Craig Bates had the same experience and he and I discussed this issue a bit at that time as well.

Lex

Offline Nicola

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2009, 04:26:01 am »
Have you already given up? On your blog you mention

Sigh, it’s one of those days.  I stumbled onto crummy fruits and we had a terrible breakfast.  The avocado was icky, the papaya was pale and not tasty, the watermelon was pale.  Arggghhhh….

and a nother question: you talk about a "coffee enema"; how the hell do you get coffee into the bowel and right up to the liver - no word of that in your "recipe"...

Your children...my father grew up at the end of world war II and never ever thought of doing or needing all the things you mention on your blog; perhaps that made him healthy?

Nicola

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2009, 08:24:19 am »
Have you already given up? On your blog you mention

Sigh, it’s one of those days.  I stumbled onto crummy fruits and we had a terrible breakfast.  The avocado was icky, the papaya was pale and not tasty, the watermelon was pale.  Arggghhhh….

The mono beef diet or zero carb experiment will have to wait.  I did not realize it involved so much adjustment from my raw omnivore diet.

I have to concentrate on growing my business and earning a living now that I'm really really healthy.  I currently do not have any complaints with raw omnivore fruit and meat.

I will find the time to experiment some time.

and a nother question: you talk about a "coffee enema"; how the hell do you get coffee into the bowel and right up to the liver - no word of that in your "recipe"...

Coffee Enema is putting fluid through the anus.  If you lay on your right side it will reach your liver somehow.  It relieves cancer patients of pain because their liver reflex is to dump toxins when in contact with coffee.

Your children...my father grew up at the end of world war II and never ever thought of doing or needing all the things you mention on your blog; perhaps that made him healthy?

Nicola

Health is a multi-generational thing.  Each generation becomes either healthier or worse.  I only learned about truth in health principles beginning 2006.  Maybe I can reverse our multi-generational health so the next generations will be healthier.

Offline Nicola

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2009, 08:47:39 pm »
Coffee Enema is putting fluid through the anus.  If you lay on your right side it will reach your liver somehow...

My question was how do you put fluid through the anus or in other words with what?

I used to do a flush with this

http://www.intima2000.ch/start.html

- put after just eating meat and fat I have not wanted to try again (perhaps it's also this ionized water that I drink)...it may not be good to flush water threw your bowels (Charles also had something about this on his zerocarb blog).

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk