Author Topic: Any experience with High Fish?  (Read 494 times)

Offline natural_Jose

• Forager
    • View Profile
Any experience with High Fish?
« on: June 13, 2021, 02:13:15 am »
Title is pretty self-explanatory. I regularly eat high liver, however i have never heard of anyone making "high fish" by just putting some fish in a jar and letting it sit.

To expand a bit, ive been fishing almost every day for the past couple weeks (underwater, not with a rod) and i eat most of what i catch and the rest i give to the cats.
Today while fishing i had the thought of why not trying to do something else with the fish. I have seen stuff like this https://www.wikihow.com/Ferment-Fish but it just seems unnecessary, thats why im asking if any of you have any experience with making 'fermented' fish in the classical way we know of just leaving meat in a jar.

Offline FRANCIS HOWARD BOND

• Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Any experience with High Fish?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2021, 04:36:19 am »
Recommend you try and find if you like the really wonderful strong flavour and taste!    Keep out of refrigerator and air regularly, keep fish moist and away from direct sunlight.    Longer you keep it, the better it tastes, and should be good after a month or two.    If it does dry, immerse in water and it will recover to continue storing.    Smell can be quite strong but you get to like it.   Keep covered to maintain moisture, you can air jar outside but flies may find it, but perhaps you won't mind?     

Offline Dingeman

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2021, 03:18:33 pm »
I would keep it in the fridge if you make it. It takes longer but the result is way better. Air every other day.

Offline dair

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2021, 08:34:39 pm »
swedes are famous for "surströmming", but not raw I think. Never eaten it, smell is very extreme when you open the can, normally done outdoors in summer, but people say taste is much milder. But not interested to eat canned fish. Still, some Swedes craves this kind of aged fish.
But actually I am interested in making high fish, so I suppose it should be a low fat fish, or does it matter?
In Thailand, Vietnam etc, they are big on fish- and oyster sauce, I can imagine it was done when there was an overabundance at a certain time... Probably the original versions were just raw fish/oyster, shrimp plus maybe one or more of these ingredients: herbs/roots/spices/citrus/garlic to make them keep longer.

Offline natural_Jose

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2021, 09:30:38 pm »
Forgot to add an update for the record, the type of fish i used were bogues. I left it for almost a month before trying it for the first time and it was awful. I couldnt eat it, the smell was just vile, nothing like high meat which smells great. This smelled putrid. I then tried a couple weeks later, but the smell was still really bad and i didnt eat it.
I also made some fish in a sort of kefir brine - i made it with salt water, kefir, lemon, and a bit of onion. Left the fish in that for 4 or 5 days before trying them and they were great.

Offline FRANCIS HOWARD BOND

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2021, 02:10:49 am »
Sorry it was not successful.    Need to keep trying, as it takes both effort and ingenuity.    Probably not aired enough, and can recover if left open, or even exposed outdoors.    Smell is very powerful, with flavour very sharp and strong – definitely an acquired taste, but well worth the effort and time it takes.    Do not give up, or you will miss out on the strongest and sharpest treats imaginable.    Look up Primal Diet /  ‘Are you sure that rotten Fish is safe to eat?’ by Fireball on 17 January 2020, in this Raw Paleo and you will find some answers.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk