Author Topic: PaleoPhil's Journal  (Read 338648 times)

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
Re: PaleoPhil's Journal
« Reply #100 on: October 14, 2009, 01:07:36 am »
What do you mean about green egg yolk? One that has been left out in the open air for a certain time to rot?
He was referring to a chicken that fed on greens and bugs. Just worded kind of funny. :)
https://www.facebook.com/djr1981
As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness.
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 15, 2009, 08:51:18 am »
I ate a big portion of raw chicken liver for the first time (I had only sampled it in the past) and I got quite a good euphoria response from it. I suspect there may be a nutrient in liver that I'm a bit low on.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline van

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 15, 2009, 11:06:31 am »
  HI,  I had to laugh about the green egg...  No,  I meant that the chickens eat green food all day along with bugs.  Pretty hard to find these days.    I have never put the yolk on my head/hair.     You may have hard water, which makes it hard to rinse all the baking soda out of the hair.  Yes,  having short hair is easier to wash and keep looking ok with baking soda.  It probably won't look as shiny as commercial shampoos and conditioners.  I use between a teaspoon and a tablespoon.  Try wetting hair real good, then take a teaspoon of bs and spread it out on your hands and then rub it into your hair.  The focus should be in getting it down to the scalp level.  you can take a little more water into your hands and apply that to your head.  Then gently work on your scalp, rubbing it into your scalp.  Let it sit for around five or ten minutes while you shower or whatever.  Then before rinsing it off, massage some more.   Bs has the ability to dissolve not only the oils but the crud in you scalp.  Then while massaging, rinse very well with just warm water.  Too warm, and you'll lose too much natural oils from your hair.  That is why  I have gone down to a teaspoon or table spoon.  Too much strips your natural oils.  I also brush my hair,  short hair, with a bristle brush twice a day.  YOu have to get down to the scalp and stimulate it along with exfoliating it with the bristles.  I also massage my scalp first thing in the morning with my finger tips before getting out of bed.  I think a lot of it is getting blood flowing/nutrients.    It's really not that hard to do once you've got it.  I use a tupper ware plastic container with lid for the bs.     It also is amazing to use it in replacing soap for your arm pits.  Let it sit in their for several minutes too.  Really works, hardly ever smell.  I haven' had atheletes foot, but am believing soaking feet in high concentrations of bs would chase it away.  Have you seen the Italian oncologist's work who treats cancer with bs.  He believes all cancers are clusters forms of cancer, and the the high ph of bs dissolves the micro clusters of cancer/fungus.     Let me know if anything needs further clarification.  I at one time was thinking about coming out with a hair loss shampoo based on bs, but realized it' far to easy to copy...

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 16, 2009, 07:06:28 am »
  HI,  I had to laugh about the green egg... 
Yeah, made me think of Dr. Seuss' Green Eggs and Ham. ;)

Yes, we do have very hard water here in Vermont, generally, so I probably do have it here at my apartment.

Ah, so you eat the eggs, yes? Me too. I eat about 4 or more raw fertilized or omega 3 eggs a day, and sometimes quail or duck eggs.

Five or ten minute showers?  :o I usually take navy showers--more like 3 - 5 minutes total. I don't get too dirty doing office work and I don't sweat much, especially during the winters, so longer would be a waste of water, in my view. Do you mean just to start with, until my hair adjusts? What do you mean by crud in the scalp, dandruff?

I also brush my hair,  short hair, with a bristle brush twice a day.  YOu have to get down to the scalp and stimulate it along with exfoliating it with the bristles. 

LOL I don't have enough hair to brush. :D

I am noticing quite a slowdown in hair loss on raw carnivore. It's nearly to the point of stopping, as Lex, Charles and numerous other carnivores/ZCers have reported.

Thanks for the info.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 17, 2009, 03:47:24 am »
On standard cooked Paleo and VLC raw Paleo I took cod liver oil or fish oil, magnesium, potassium and zinc supplements. I took the cod liver for vitamin D (and other benefits), as I don't get a lot of sunshine, and I took the others because I found they were effective in treating various symptoms without side effects (whereas the prescriptions I had been given DID cause side effects, including the muscle cramps that necessitated me taking the potassium supplements to begin with).

Several weeks after I went raw carnivore, I found that my acne and muscle cramps diminished to the point where I no longer needed zinc or potassium supplements. However, I just started taking some magnesium again because my fecal output decreased to about 1/3 of what it was, just like Lex said it would, and I have started to get some dry/hard constipation again (although not as bad as prior to carnivore and without the mucus, cramps, reactive diarrhea and other associated problems I had while still eating plants). I figured it also might further improve my dental health.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: October 23, 2009, 08:36:36 am »
I increased my fat intake to help keep things flowing in the GI tract and I do have moderate urinary ketones (around 40 mg/dl), but noticed I haven't been getting the usual result of sweet saliva. That may take a somewhat higher level of ketones, I guess.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 28, 2009, 09:19:50 am »
no one would touch this type of diet unless they'd tried everything else and this diet alone worked for them. There are too many social restrictions against raw-foodism for there to be any other reason.*tylerdurden*
So true in my case that I decided to add it to my profile for the time being, although I think most of the social restrictions are against raw meats rather than raw plants.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: November 02, 2009, 07:23:55 am »
Even increasing my fat levels and ketones higher didn't give me the sweet saliva, and Lex doesn't get it at very high ketone levels, so I think it was a temporary phenomenon due to my not being fully adapted at the time.

I may be moving in the near future and my local healthstore usually has grassfed ground beef and mostly grassfed ground bison and grassfed suet in stock at prices not much more than Slankers (the grassfed suet is actually about half the price locally, though the meat is more expensive), so I think I'll stick with using them for the near future. 85% of calories as fat seems like a good level for me and around 2500 total calories per day, which should help me gain weight even if I get more active.

Here's a sample daily menu, have I got the figures right?

Moderately active
159 lbs         
2560 calories/day according to http://nutrition.bizcalcs.com/Calculator.asp?Calc=Daily-Metabolism

breakfast/lunch   
1/4 lb   bison 164 calories   
.09 lb   GF beef suet   335 cals.
tap water   

Supper   
1 lb           bison   656 calories
.35 lb   GF beef suet   1341 cals.
2 oz         chicken liver or high meat 64 cals.
nonsparkling mineral water

Occasional snacks/dessert/variety:
beef jerky with tallow      
occasional raw eggs, venison, sashimi, wild clams, etc.

Offline phatdave

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: November 02, 2009, 09:20:15 am »
That sounds FAN-TASTIC. Now I am jealous of you Paleophil  :)

And how are you feeling on such a delicious diet? I think my reaction is to the word 'Bison' (which I have never tried) and 'wild clams'!

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #109 on: November 02, 2009, 09:38:42 am »
Here's a sample daily menu, have I got the figures right?

Moderately active
159 lbs         
2560 calories/day according to http://nutrition.bizcalcs.com/Calculator.asp?Calc=Daily-Metabolism

breakfast/lunch   
1/4 lb   bison 164 calories   
.09 lb   GF beef suet   335 cals.
tap water   

Supper   
1 lb           bison   656 calories
.35 lb   GF beef suet   1341 cals.
2 oz         chicken liver or high meat 64 cals.
nonsparkling mineral water

Occasional snacks/dessert/variety:
beef jerky with tallow      
occasional raw eggs, venison, sashimi, wild clams, etc.

Thank you.  Cool seeing a day's menu.  I think of going ZC, but this makes me feel like I have a better picture of what I may eat.
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: November 02, 2009, 10:51:47 am »
I'm feeling great on this diet thanks. Best diet I've tried yet. I do wish venison was still available now and then, though it's easier on my wallet when it's not :D (though it's only a buck a pound more than the bison, surprisingly).

I love the wild clams, though I've been too chicken to try them raw yet and they are really tiny, so they're more of a snack to go with my ground bison than a meal.

I wouldn't be surprised if I screwed up the numbers somewhere. If so I hope a math wiz like Lex helps me fix them. :D

Offline phatdave

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: November 02, 2009, 07:18:05 pm »
I was scared to eat scallops uncooked but they were absolutely delicious. It makes a huge difference how fresh. I would love to get a steady supply of venison too, purely because I fantasize about its paleo-ness. :)

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: November 02, 2009, 08:21:49 pm »
I just like its tastiness. :D

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: November 07, 2009, 09:36:34 am »
Recently I had my first bought of diarrhea since adopting RPD. I had eaten more raw liver than ever before the night before, along with a little bit of raw beef heart. That was the only change from my usual routine. I also had a mild feeling of malaise. The mild malaise started in the morning around 4 am. The diarrhea started a few hours later and was cleaned out by mid-day. The malaise and resulting weakness and slight dizziness cleared up when I felt like eating again that evening and ate my usual raw ground bison and suet with mineral water.

The next morning I was back to my usual feeling of well-being. That night I checked the liver and found that it now smelled bad (it hadn't when I ate some of it). I threw it out rather than test it. I did try some more raw beef heart without problem. The liver container was a tightly-sealed plastic container. I suspect that perhaps there was some pathogenic anaerobic bacteria in it (like salmonella). So the next time I bought liver I transferred it to a glass container that doesn't seem quite as tightly sealed, in case bad bacteria was the problem. Alternatively, perhaps the issue was I just wasn't used to raw liver. On the bright side, while it didn't feel good for 1/2 a day, it was relatively mild. So if that's the worst that bad bacteria can throw at me, I can live with that on occasion. I hope it doesn't get worse than that, though. My guess is that as my health improves over time, I'll actually become less sensitive to bad bacteria.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #114 on: November 07, 2009, 05:19:46 pm »
It could be due to bad bacteria or something else. I once did an experiment, eating just raw liver every alternate week, and, after a while, I started getting diarrhea/loose stools quite often. My reading on this is that my body had eventually  gotten enough of the necessary nutrients from raw liver, and decided not to absorb them properly any longer, so that I subsequently got diarrhea/poor absorption from further raw liver-consumption. At any rate, I don't do badly on raw or aged, raw liver any more as long as I minimise the amounts taken in every so often.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: November 07, 2009, 11:15:11 pm »
It was only the third time I had tried raw liver, I think, so I don't think my reaction came from long-term overeating of liver, and it wasn't a huge serving, probably only about 3-4 oz. or so, but it was more than my first tries of raw liver (which were just a few tiny chunks). Maybe my body just needs time to adjust to such a nutrient-rich food?
« Last Edit: November 07, 2009, 11:21:45 pm by PaleoPhil »

William

« Reply #116 on: November 08, 2009, 04:50:38 am »
I feel that our bodies (AKA immune system) are wiser than we, and don't need to be bullied into accepting stuff that is rejected.
Best to show some respect for that wisdom. IMHO

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: November 10, 2009, 08:42:39 pm »
I've been getting another health benefit--my skin used to be too sensitive and too easily cut to use a safety razor, but now I find it has strengthened enough that I can use a safety razor again for the first time in over a decade.

William

« Reply #118 on: November 10, 2009, 08:59:04 pm »
Is shaving paleo?    :D  (How to do the horned imp icon?)

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #119 on: November 10, 2009, 11:04:27 pm »
this one -d is - and d

this one is >D > and D

is that what you meant?

I suppose paleo people could have sharpened a stone.

I'm glad you're able to shave more easily again, that's wonderful!
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: November 11, 2009, 07:43:50 am »
Thanks.

I read somewhere that some Stone Agers shaved by plucking or by using flint blades. Ouch!  :o

I ate some meat that hadn't fully defrosted yesterday and found I liked it better that way. Maybe it was just because of the variety, though I have read that the Nenets generally prefer to eat their meat and fish frozen and that the Inuits sometimes eat frozen fish, though that could be just because they were raised on it.

Another health benefit to report: I've been noticing lately that I've been breathing yogically (in through the nose and out through the mouth) as my ordinary breathing when walking or running, whereas I used to do a lot of mouth breathing (and get a dry mouth as a result). I think it's because my sinus passages are much clearer and less swollen so it's much easier for me to breath through my nose now. Perhaps yogic breathing is just the natural way of breathing and is only special to moderners whose nasal passages are slightly too clogged/inflamed to do it without focusing on it? When I'm sitting down I tend to breath through the nose only.

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: November 11, 2009, 10:12:17 am »

Another health benefit to report: I've been noticing lately that I've been breathing yogically (in through the nose and out through the mouth) as my ordinary breathing when walking or running, whereas I used to do a lot of mouth breathing (and get a dry mouth as a result). I think it's because my sinus passages are much clearer and less swollen so it's much easier for me to breath through my nose now. Perhaps yogic breathing is just the natural way of breathing and is only special to moderners whose nasal passages are slightly too clogged/inflamed to do it without focusing on it? When I'm sitting down I tend to breath through the nose only.

Yes, indeed.  I found this happened for me as well, as soon as I went mostly/all raw.  I nearly always breathe only through my nose, except when doing heavy exercise.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: November 23, 2009, 02:42:46 am »
I tried using a blender on my raw suet, but it just melted and clumped and clogged up the blender. I don't have room for both a food processor and meat grinder, so I think I will continue to chop my suet until I get a grinder, which I already want for grinding bones and meats. Buying a food processor just to grate suet does not appeal much to me at this time. Maybe some day when I have more room.

My ketones have been ranging from small to trace amounts--mostly trace. It seems like I'm becoming keto adapted after about 3.5 months eating raw carnivore.

My sister also noticed that my shoulders are less stooped and my back straighter. However, she is very frightened of bacteria and believes that the "high" effect of "high meat" is a bad sign, akin to psychoactive drugs, with their negative side effects when abused. I tried to explain that this high is reportedly different--a healthy well-being sort of high, but she was not convinced. I have not yet experienced it myself anyway, so I pursued the question no further.

Two days ago I started taking Dr. Ron's bone meal, fermented cod liver oil and Doc's Best multi for the calcium, magnesium, A, D3 and K2, which are supposed to have a synergistic benefit on dental health and bone density.

I picked up half my shipment of red deer ground meat and heart that came from a local farm and tried some of both yesterday. I ate it cooked at my sister's (I told my brother-in-law he doesn't have to cook my portion when I visit, but he just laughed) and then tried the ground meat raw at home. I find the heart tastes better than beef heart--more tender, less crunchy and rubbery--but the meat doesn't taste as good as ground venison sold at my local health food market. It's too bland for my tastes.

Yet another Paleo-type diet book has come out: The Jungle Effect: Healthiest Diets from Around the World--Why They Work and How to Make Them Work for You by Daphne Miller. Based on one review it apparently makes an unfortunate recommendation for low-fat. There is quite a bandwagon now of people writing Paleo-type diet books and articles. The raw aspect of RPD is still not generating many books.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 06:17:56 am by PaleoPhil »

Offline klowcarb

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: November 23, 2009, 10:46:06 am »
Hi, Phil, Katelyn from ZIOH. Just wanted to let you know I'm reading with interest  :)

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: November 23, 2009, 10:53:55 am »
Thanks Katelyn.

Hooray! I have one supporter. LOL

Fair warning: I'm a contrarian, so I usually end up disagreeing with pretty much everyone, ;) though I try to be polite about it. If too many people start agreeing with me, I get suspicious and think I must have got something wrong. :D

Be sure to read Lex's journal too, if you haven't yet, as his is better than mine and heavily influenced me--even though he goes out of his way to say that he's not advocating his WOE for anyone else--which is part of why I like it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk