Author Topic: PaleoPhil's Journal  (Read 339121 times)

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
Re: PaleoPhil's Journal
« Reply #275 on: May 26, 2010, 10:13:44 am »
I am so glad we are friends, Phil, and we can discuss this. I have much respect for both you and Tyler, so enjoy this debate. Is it distaste for liver that is your problem, or digestion? I'd like you to elaborate on this. What makes you think you are not getting all you need from raw ZC?
I'm still not thrilled by liver, though I think I'm getting used to it. I don't get all I need from any diet, as I still have some symptoms that suggest mild deficiencies (vitamin K and potassium and maybe iodine and who knows what). This despite the fact that I eat foods rich in these nutrients, such as shellfish and seaweed, so I also take foodlements like Dr. Ron's iodine, and fermented CLO and a partial dose of his multi.

I admit to my ignorance on protocists. Honestly, I think seaweed eating would have been rare, even for Eskimos. Is there much research in this area?
Yes, seaweed eating by coastal HGs and other traditional peoples in Arctic and temperate zones around the world has been well documented. Satya has discussed it too.

That said, seaweeds do appear very low in carbs and high in perhaps iodine. Why is bromine needed?
Don't know. I read a report that said that too much bromine from excessive seaweed can raise TSH levels. Every food can have down sides in some people, depending on genes, sensitivity, amount and frequency of intake, processing methods, etc.

My preference is to stick to ZC animal foods. That said, I have no issues with energy (if I eat enough) or digestion. I don't see any value to adding carby modern fruits.
Yes, I know, thanks.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #276 on: May 26, 2010, 04:37:55 pm »
re ZC-stance:- Perhaps it would be best not to use the slightly dodgy  phrase "tolerating carbs" to describe people who actually thrive on little or a lot of raw carbs.

As for the carb-experiments, like klowcarb, I really don't see the point re your trying carbs so soon - one should really just stick to what works re health.  makes more sense to try readding carbs after another couple of years on RZC, so as to determine whether your insulin-sensitivity issues or whatever re carbs are likely lifelong or not. Though, perhaps, you are concerned re not always having the right (high-quality raw animal) foods available all the time, and want to be able to have a more varied diet just in case.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline klowcarb

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: May 27, 2010, 10:04:02 am »
The only way I can eat the liver is lightly soaked in lemon juice. It's not a favorite of mine either. Not like delicious bone marrow.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: May 29, 2010, 09:47:58 am »
re ZC-stance:- Perhaps it would be best not to use the slightly dodgy  phrase "tolerating carbs" to describe people who actually thrive on little or a lot of raw carbs.
I'm not sure what you're referring to, TD. Can you point me to the quote where it says “tolerating carbs”? Thanks.

...perhaps, you are concerned re not always having the right (high-quality raw animal) foods available all the time, and want to be able to have a more varied diet just in case.
Yes, that's one of the reasons. There are other reasons too, such as making it easier to be more sociable and reducing the risks of exacerbating existing nutrient deficiencies or developing new ones. The more restrictive a diet the easier it is to miss out on some important nutrients, which is a point that Satya reinforced well for me. I don't eat as much organs as Lex does and I don't have access to animal blood, so being able to get the nutrients they contain in other ways might be helpful and might even enable me to stop taking the foodlements I'm taking, some of which are quite expensive.

Even the most carnivorous Inuits and wolves occasionally eat some plant carbs like berries and even some obligate carnivores eat plants--such as big cats that eat grass, possibly for medicinal reasons. So eating plants does not mean one is not carnivorous. I use the term mostly-raw facultative carnivore for a reason. Plus, some people manage to thrive on lots of fruits and veg, as you have pointed out repeatedly, so one possibility is that my carbohydrate intolerance indicates that there's some malfunction in my systems--possibly temporary. Even if Dr. Harris is right about plant carbs being totally unnecessary to the diet (which I'd rather not debate one way or the other right now), being able to eat some when meats are unavailable would make life easier.

As for the carb-experiments, like klowcarb, I really don't see the point re your trying carbs so soon ...   makes more sense to try readding carbs after another couple of years on RZC
That's ironic, you're one of the folks whose posts encouraged me to try to see if I can manage to handle keeping some carbs in my diet with your repeated warnings about the dying off of too many carb-digesting intestinal bacteria when going too long without carbs. Originally I thought that giving my system a break from carbs might reduce my carb intolerance by giving my body a chance to heal, but I found other reports supporting your claim, so there's a risk that my carbohydrate intolerance might worsen rather than improve if I don't eat any carbs and I agree with you and Dr. Harris that carbs are not pure poison for all. Based on your past posts, wouldn't going a couple of years without carbs kill off most of the carb-digesting bacteria?

one should really just stick to what works re health.
Sure, if it turns out that even raw fruits spike my BG excessively (which I will be testing next), even when eaten with fats, then I figure it will probably be best to avoid them as much as possible at this time. I don't have any plans to intentionally do things that damage my health long term, if that's what you mean. In order to stick to what works I need to find out what works for me. Have you ever tested what effect raw fruits have on your BG? It would be helpful if I had some numbers to compare to from someone who does well on fruits.

To summarize, I'm just trying to find out what works for me, both healthwise and convenience-wise. I have no preconceived notions and, like Lex, I'm not particularly interested in telling other people what to do. When I share my results it doesn't mean that I think they necessarily apply to anyone else. When I debate it's not to convince others as much as it is to learn and to put my thoughts to the test and see if they hold up to scrutiny. That's one reason why I'm not into rehashing old points with the same arguments. If I'm not learning anything new or helping someone else who's interested in learning then I don't see much point in debate. After all, "A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still."
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #279 on: May 29, 2010, 04:44:37 pm »
I'm not sure what you're referring to, TD. Can you point me to the quote where it says “tolerating carbs”?

That was some time back. Don't know which post.

That's ironic, you're one of the folks whose posts encouraged me to try to see if I can manage to handle keeping some carbs in my diet with your repeated warnings about the dying off of too many carb-digesting intestinal bacteria when going too long without carbs. Originally I thought that giving my system a break from carbs might reduce my carb intolerance by giving my body a chance to heal, but I found other reports supporting your claim, so there's a risk that my carbohydrate intolerance might worsen rather than improve if I don't eat any carbs and I agree with you and Dr. Harris that carbs are not pure poison for all. Based on your past posts, wouldn't going a couple of years without carbs kill off most of the carb-digesting bacteria?

The point is that the intolerance towards carbs generally starts at a far earlier period than 2 years on VLC or ZC, more like weeks/months. Years of time on RZC shouldn't make it more difficult to readapt to carbs as all one needs is to build up enough carb-related bacteria(by simply eating lots of raw carbs) and getting the body to use the right enzymes etc.

"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: May 31, 2010, 04:09:54 am »
That was some time back. Don't know which post.
If it was one of my posts you are referring to, the only thing I can think of that you might be referencing is that I discussed how I found that carbohydrate intolerance is a known medical condition. Since that is the medical term for it, I don't see a problem with it, but I'll consider any alternative medical terms you care to offer. I wasn't talking about anyone else when I was discussing my problems with plant carbs, so my posts were not meant to be a reflection on anyone else. My journal is mainly meant to be about my experience, not how I think others are doing or what they should eat, as it is not my purpose to tell anyone what to do (though if they ask for help I may try to offer some). My philosophy is similar to Lex's in this.

The point is that the intolerance towards carbs generally starts at a far earlier period than 2 years on VLC or ZC, more like weeks/months. Years of time on RZC shouldn't make it more difficult to readapt to carbs as all one needs is to build up enough carb-related bacteria(by simply eating lots of raw carbs) and getting the body to use the right enzymes etc.
I have tried to explain this to you several times, apparently without success. I had symptoms of carb intolerance before I cut the carbs down to VLC and I experienced improvements every step of the way while gradually reducing carbs. I didn't develop a carb intolerance after going VLC. If anything, the intolerance seems to be slightly less now. You seem to be bent on trying to ascribe problems with carb intolerance to VLC or ZC diets themselves for some reason. In my case it does not apply. I'll let others speak for themselves on this.

In the past I seem to recall you saying that not eating any carbs for too long would kill off the carb-eating bacteria and thus make a ZCer less able to handle carbs--and thus making eating a little bit of plant carbs from time to time a sensible approach, and thereby make VLC more sensible than ZC. Is that not right?
« Last Edit: May 31, 2010, 04:14:59 am by PaleoPhil »

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #281 on: May 31, 2010, 05:48:07 pm »

The reference was a vague one to people who tolerate carbs, as I recall, distinguishing them from people(ie RZCers) who couldn't tolerate carbs. Whatever the case, "tolerate" isn't the right word to use in this regard as raw omnivores are fine with raw carbs, with many raw high-carbers(not raw vegans, of course) doing fine/thriving with them. "Tolerate" sounds like tolerating a poison.But who knows, maybe I'm guilty of using that word re zc diets, in the past - who knows?

I have tried to explain this to you several times, apparently without success. I had symptoms of carb intolerance before I cut the carbs down to VLC and I experienced improvements every step of the way while gradually reducing carbs. I didn't develop a carb intolerance after going VLC. If anything, the intolerance seems to be slightly less now. You seem to be bent on trying to ascribe problems with carb intolerance to VLC or ZC diets themselves for some reason. In my case it does not apply. I'll let others speak for themselves on this.

In the past I seem to recall you saying that not eating any carbs for too long would kill off the carb-eating bacteria and thus make a ZCer less able to handle carbs--and thus making eating a little bit of plant carbs from time to time a sensible approach, and thereby make VLC more sensible than ZC. Is that not right?
No that's not right at all. I suggested that eating only a small amounts of carbs re a VLC diet(<2%?/5%?), in the long-term, meant one gradually became less able to handle raw carbs. One needs more than a tiny bit of raw carbs to ensure the right kind of bacteria-levels, use of enzymes etc. to get used to raw carbs.

As for the above claim, that's also wrong. I was talking in a general sense, that raw animal foods require totally different bacteria-levels, different enzymes etc., so that long-term periods on VLC(and shorter for RZC?)  commonly lead to increased intolerance towards raw carbs, even if there was no carb-intolerance there before that stage. Those who were already unable to do well on raw carbs, for the most part, keep on not being able to deal with carbs, and generally progressively feel worse when they increase the carb-intake once again. In other words, for the latter, it is extremely unlikely that they would regain some form of ability to handle raw carbs until many years have passed, if at all.
" Ron Paul.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: June 02, 2010, 08:04:46 am »
..."Tolerate" sounds like tolerating a poison.But who knows, maybe I'm guilty of using that word re zc diets, in the past - who knows?
OK, I can't think of better terminology to use (carbohydrate unthriving/thriving seems a lot more awkward than carbohydrate intolerance/tolerance), so I'll stick with intolerance/tolerance for now, but thanks for letting me know about potential sensitivity re: the term "tolerance." I didn't intend the negative connotation you thought of, but I'll try to remember to make that clear when I use it.

No that's not right at all. I suggested that eating only a small amounts of carbs re a VLC diet(<2%?/5%?), in the long-term, meant one gradually became less able to handle raw carbs. One needs more than a tiny bit of raw carbs to ensure the right kind of bacteria-levels, use of enzymes etc. to get used to raw carbs.
Awe, that stinks for me. I don't handle more than a small amount of carbs well, so that's not really an option for me. I was hoping there might be some bacterial benefit from eating a small amount of carbs.

Those who were already unable to do well on raw carbs, for the most part, keep on not being able to deal with carbs, and generally progressively feel worse when they increase the carb-intake once again. In other words, for the latter, it is extremely unlikely that they would regain some form of ability to handle raw carbs until many years have passed, if at all.
OK, then it sounds like I have no option but to stick to VLC/ZC for the rest of my life. That has been becoming increasingly clear to me too. I like fruits quite a bit, so I was hoping there might be some chance that I could handle 5-10% or so of calories as raw fruits in the future, but it was a dream rather than an expectation. Thanks for being straight with me and not sugar-coating it (pardon the pun :) ).

alphagruis

« Reply #283 on: June 02, 2010, 03:47:34 pm »

OK, then it sounds like I have no option but to stick to VLC/ZC for the rest of my life. That has been becoming increasingly clear to me too. I like fruits quite a bit, so I was hoping there might be some chance that I could handle 5-10% or so of calories as raw fruits in the future, but it was a dream rather than an expectation.

I don't think so. You'll more likely have to stick to VLC for a further few months or years but probably not for the rest of your life. Healing logically takes time, is not a simple linear process but involves sudden decisive improvements.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: June 03, 2010, 07:11:46 am »
Thanks, Alphagruis. I hope you're right.

carnivore

« Reply #285 on: June 04, 2010, 12:12:27 am »
Awe, that stinks for me. I don't handle more than a small amount of carbs well, so that's not really an option for me. I was hoping there might be some bacterial benefit from eating a small amount of carbs.

What symptoms do you experiment when you eat fruits ?
What makes you think carbs is the culprit ? Do you have the same symptoms when you eat other source of carbs (honey for instance) ?
Have you tried different kind of fruits ? I mean there is quiet a difference between say an apple, a banana, a coconut or a watermelon. For instance the last has very few fibers and it is generally the raw fibers that gives troubles.

After one year of ZC, I was virtually enable to eat even a small amount of fruit without symptoms. Now that I have reintroduced them slowly, I can eat lots of fruits as long as I eat only a small portion at once. Otherwise the sudden excess sugar disturbs my hormonal balance.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: June 04, 2010, 07:25:16 am »
I don't mean to be rude, but I've covered all these questions before in this journal and elsewhere in the forum and I'd rather not have to go over it all again if I can avoid it (that's partly the purpose of this journal--to not have to answer the same questions repeatedly). I do know that different fruits have different sugar and fiber levels. In my case the sugars seem to be more correlated with the problems than the fiber, but I also do better on a lower fiber diet, so fiber could be part of the problem too. Thanks for sharing your encouraging experience.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: June 16, 2010, 08:52:22 am »
A couple of days ago I moderately enjoyed the taste of liver for the first time ever. It was a pleasant surprise.

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: June 16, 2010, 09:24:32 am »
A couple of days ago I moderately enjoyed the taste of liver for the first time ever. It was a pleasant surprise.

It took me about 5 months to learn to like raw liver. :)

Offline van

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: June 17, 2010, 09:36:37 am »
I may have mentioned this before, but,  try placing it in a ceramic or glass bowl in the fidge.  Flip it over every two days or so.  After a week or two it will have a slightly tart taste.  It's pretty good that way, also the layer on the outside gets dried out, that too is good.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: June 17, 2010, 11:14:30 am »
Interesting you should say that, Van, because the liver that tasted good to me had been sitting in a glass container for about 4 days, I believe.

I finally got round to doing my strawberry blood glucose experiment and had rather disappointing results.

BG before eating Hudak organic strawberries (juiciest strawberries I ever recall eating; quite tasty) and after eating a little beef, suet, sorrel leaf and water shortly before and coffee about 4+ hours earlier): 101 mg/dl
Ate 2 pints of the strawberries (I didn't expect much of a BG spike, so I ate plenty -- the most I have eaten in the past, and I would normally eat some other food with them to neutralize some of the acidity and sugar). Noticeable results: a surprising amount of mild nausea, malaise, belching and reflux (belched up some acidic-tasting strawberry into my mouth) afterwards.
postprandial BG 1 hour later: 202 mg/dl
postprandial BG 2 hours later: 279 mg/dl  :o

Drat! Not an encouraging result. I was rooting hard for berries. I'm not knowledgeable in this BG stuff and so far no one has helped out with their own BG numbers for comparison  :'(, but this is suggesting possible insulin resistance to me. This could also explain why my fasting BG tends to be so low (low 70s) -- extreme lows (hypoglycemia) are apparently common among people with insulin resistance, IIRC.

Offline ys

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: June 17, 2010, 10:34:51 pm »
I think your results are more or less normal.
2 pints of strawberries yield about 34g of sugars.  That's almost 7 tea-spoons full of sugar.
I think it'll take some time to get rid of extra sugar.
Try doing test 3h later or more to see how long it really takes to get rid of that sugar.

I only eat that much sugars if I plan to do heavy activity, exercise, work, etc.
I would not focus on numbers, instead I would focus on how I feel.  If strawberries give me negative feedback I would simply eliminate or limit them and not worry about numbers.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: June 18, 2010, 11:44:44 am »
Update: I developed a sore throat for the first time since I can remember. The only thing I’ve done significantly differently recently is eat a lot more raw berries than usual last night. I did used to be prone in years past to sore throats, nasal congestion, “colds”, “flus” and “allergies” when I ate plentiful grains and other plant carbs.

I think your results are more or less normal.
I hope you’re right, YS, I do like berries. :) 279 does seem high at 2h though, don’t you think, and don't mild nausea, reflux and now sore throat seem like bad signs? Maybe not everyone thrives on raw fruits.

I didn’t get any help on the postprandial numbers, so I did some checking and found this:

What is a Normal Blood Sugar?
http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/16422495.php

Post-Meal Blood Sugar (Postprandial)

Independent of what they eat, the blood sugar of a truly normal person is:

Under 120 mg/dl (6.6 mmol/L) one or two hours after a meal.

Most normal people are under 100 mg/dl (5.5 mmol/L) two hours after eating.

Normal Postprandial Glucose Physiology
http://cme.medscape.com/viewarticle/491410_2

Postprandial glucose levels are the most important determinant of day-long glycemia.[3] Meal ingestion, regardless of the meal's size, normally results in only transient increases in plasma glucose: concentrations peak at 60 to 90 minutes, rarely exceed 160 mg/dL, and return to preprandial values within 3 hours.[4] Consequently, during a 24-hour period, the average diurnal plasma glucose concentration normally is less than 100 mg/dL.[4] This exquisite regulation is mainly the result of coordinated changes in insulin and glucagon secretion that affect the rates of release of glucose into the circulation and the rates of removal of glucose from the circulation.
Looks like my numbers after raw honeycomb and raw organic strawberries are far from good and my experience reflected the numbers.

2 pints of strawberries yield about 34g of sugars.  That's almost 7 tea-spoons full of sugar.
I think it'll take some time to get rid of extra sugar.
Try doing test 3h later or more to see how long it really takes to get rid of that sugar.
From what I’ve read, by 3h the blood sugar should normally return to pre-prandial levels (which is why 1 and 2 hours are standard test time frames), so it should indeed be interesting to see if my BG is still elevated at that point.

….I would not focus on numbers, instead I would focus on how I feel. If strawberries give me negative feedback I would simply eliminate or limit them and not worry about numbers.
Hmm, first you said to add a third hour measurement—now you’re saying not to focus on numbers and instead focus on “how I feel”. Which is it? ??? :) Either way, I have been tracking how I feel, symptoms, etc., in addition to the numbers in my journal and I felt mildly crappy afterward and the next day. My muscles are also more achy after exercise than usual.

I only eat that much sugars if I plan to do heavy activity, exercise, work, etc.
Sure, but that would have skewed my test at the time. Besides, I don't ordinarily eat that much sugars since I went VLC--it was just a test and I was also planning on testing smaller amounts. I did exercise after the 2 hours and quite a bit today, in part hoping it would help me feel better, but it doesn’t seem to have helped noticeably. I also tried an Epsom salts bath to little avail.

If I could handle strawberries I would like to be able eat about ½ a small container with my meat. Less seems too little to bother with and I would want to limit it to a couple days a week rather than spread it out over many days. When I eat plant carbs for too many days in a row the problems build up. If 2 containers is giving me such huge BG numbers, then it’s not looking good for the lower levels I planned on testing either, but we’ll see. If organic berries end up a total failure, then wild berries probably won’t produce great results either. I’m not fond of some other low-sugar fruits like papaya, cantaloupes and avocado.

This is the first time I’ve managed to give my free BG meter a real workout beyond the occasional measurement since I got it years ago after a cool dude at the Paleofood forum tipped people off to it, and I never measured my own BG before that in my 40+ years, so I wouldn’t worry about my being overly focused on numbers or some such thing. With Lex taking a break from the forum we’re overdue for some BG numbers. :) Maybe I gave the wrong impression with the “shocked” smilie. I was surprised and disappointed sure, but I can live without strawberries, so I’m cool with or without them (I think ;) ). I’m having fun with it actually—I like gadgets (unless they don’t work right) and science. I do like variety in my foods, though, but may have to achieve it with other treats I like, such as Hawaiian yellowfin tuna, duck bacon, mustard greens, etc.

More on why I’m doing this testing to come…

It's looking like Kobe and the Lakers are going to beat my Celtics. It has been a very good NBA Finals and Kobe is quite a player.

Offline actionhero

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: June 18, 2010, 07:23:16 pm »
and don't mild nausea, reflux and now sore throat seem like bad signs? Maybe not everyone thrives on raw fruits.

Do you get these symptoms from raw honeycomb too? From my own experiments it wasn't the sugar that was causing less than perfect digestion of raw meat/fat, it was the fiber in fruit. I thought I had perfect digestion on fruit and raw meat but it was only after cutting all fruit out that I noticed a much improved digestion and absorption of nutrients from raw meat/fat. Then I tried raw honeycomb mixed with raw eggs and it did not upset the perfect digestion. So my guess is it must be the fermentation of fiber - or whatever is happening in there as a result of its presence - that is causing some problems. In my case it's just less optimal digestion and absorption of nutrients but with you it may be the same problem but slightly amplified. Maybe you could try the honeycomb+raw eggs drink to see what happens and if you are able to tolerate sugar better this way. That is, of course, if it sounds appealing to you.
A P E X   P R E D A T O R

Offline ys

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: June 18, 2010, 11:19:55 pm »
Hmm, first you said to add a third hour measurement—now you’re saying not to focus on numbers and instead focus on “how I feel”. Which is it?

Sorry the for the confusion.
What  I meant is if you really interested in obtaining meaningful conclusions based on numbers you need to do more tests to see some repeating patterns.

But if I were in your shoes I would simply search for what works and ignore the science behind it.  But that's just me.

I like berries as well and I never had issues eating them before or now.
Have you ever had difficulties with berries or did it start after going paleo?

Another point I would like to make.  Looking at my personal experience I've had bad times combining meat and fruits/berries.  If I eat fruits/berries separately I do not experience and negative side effects.

I'm trying coconut lately (last 4 weeks), eating/drinking both water and meat.  I still can't tell if coconut is positive or neutral, but it is definitely not negative.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: June 19, 2010, 07:34:19 am »
Sorry the for the confusion.
What  I meant is if you really interested in obtaining meaningful conclusions based on numbers you need to do more tests to see some repeating patterns.
No prob. Like you, I don't have the interest to do lots of tests and I also don't think it's necessary to go much beyond what I'm doing, though I'm open to ideas and appreciate your trying to help. I'm not looking to convince anyone else or prove things to the level Lex has, just get a better sense of what's going on in my body that experience hasn't explained and share my results in case anyone else is interested or also has some data or experiences they can share with me.

But if I were in your shoes I would simply search for what works and ignore the science behind it.  But that's just me.
The two seem contradictory to me, but maybe that's because I've always enjoyed science and found it to be a very useful tool. For example, it was Dr. Eaton's scientific report in the New England Journal of Medicine that produced the "light bulb" that guided me to Paleo diets and a path of healing. Without science there would be no raw Paleo diet and no one would even know what "Paleo" is. It was scientists who invented the term "Paleo" and it was scientists and science-educated physicians (Eaton, Konner, Cordain, etc.) who kicked off the current Paleo diet movement from which RPD eventually sprang.

Have you ever had difficulties with berries or did it start after going paleo?
Yes, I had issues before, but I usually didn't eat so many at once and I was eating too many other things to notice as clearly. I also was in some denial about the negative effects that fruits had on me, because I was such an addict of them. I'm still an addict, which probably helps explain why I can't resist trying to find a fruit I can include in my diet. In some ways this forum has been bad for me, because it encourages my raw fruit addiction. If I'm lucky, maybe it's just the strawberries that are an issue among the berries, because I mainly remember issues with them in the past. On the other hand, I do remember some issues with blueberry smoothies too and the reason I didn't react as much to other berries could be because they tend to come in smaller containers and I tended to eat less, so it's probably just wishful thinking on my part. My next planned test is with a small container of raspberries.

The same has been true for me with other foods as it has been with fruits. I never realized how much of an issue I had with wheat, for example, until I cut it out. All sorts of health problems improved that I had for years. Then if I ate wheat again they quickly returned with a vengeance. They didn't return because I had cut out wheat--it was because I had eaten it again. Once I cut out the wheat it also became easier to notice reactions to other foods--probably because my immune system was no longer constantly overwhelmed and much of the "noise" was removed. I've seen countless other people report the same things (here's an example: Dr. Davis' Wheat Aftermath). These are phenomena that physicians familiar with gluten intolerance and celiac disease recognize, and even most Paleo dieters recognize this for certain foods like wheat and other grains. I try not to make exceptions and excuses for my favorite foods. I've repeated the following many times and probably sound like a broken record at this point, but I started experiencing improvements right from the start after each food I eliminated--the problems didn't start only after I had been VLC/ZC for a while. I wish the latter were the case, believe me. And I'm not the only one who has experienced this--other LCers have also experienced improvements fairly early on after their change. You get a better sense of this if you read forums that have more LCers in them--such as Dirty Carnivore, Paleofood, ZIOH, etc. Not everyone does well on LC diets, of course, and the Kitavans seem to fare rather well on a high carb diet. I don't claim that everyone benefits from any single approach and I'm not looking for a debate with the defenders of raw carbs--I'm happy for those that do well on them. When I do debate it's more to put my thoughts to the test and learn new things than convince someone else.

The only foods I haven't noticed significant benefits from trial elimination (that I can think of at the moment) have been (raw) meats/organs, animal fats, eggs, fish/seafood, kelp, young greens (but not organic green tea), herbs, ginger, garlic, some spices, radish and cabbage, water, and possibly certain herbal teas (though I don't drink enough of these to get a real good sense yet). No matter how long I cut these out I haven't noticed big improvements and have no problems when re-introducing them--again, no matter how long I've gone without them. On the other hand, I do seem to feel optimal when I avoid plants altogether, but I'm not certain that avoiding them all is necessarily best, I do enjoy variety, and eating some plants makes sociability easier, so I've been experimenting with reintroducing the ones that seem to affect me least. I know Katelyn doesn't like that, and maybe I'll go back to an all-animal food diet, but for now I'm experimenting with plant foods and kelp.

I seem to handle some brassica surprisingly well, even the somewhat dense broccoli heads if they're not boiled into a tough fiber (though the stalks are a bit of an issue and cauliflower, brussels sprouts and turnips don't seem to digest as well and may be too dense and/or too high in brassica lectin). Brassica lectin is supposed to be similar to wheatgerm agglutinin (http://www.springerlink.com/content/12r25g374060405k), which makes it doubly surprising that they don't bother me more, but maybe I just don't eat enough to get a noticeable reaction. I almost always eat meat with my veg these days, which may offset any negative effects from the veg and does seem to improve digestion of the veg.

Here's a question for you--if cutting out fruit for a time is supposed to be the cause of my problems with fruit, why didn't the same occur with the plant foods that I don't have much issue with? I'd rather eat berries than greens and broccoli heads, but I seem to handle the latter much better than fruits even after avoiding veg for months.

Another point I would like to make.  Looking at my personal experience I've had bad times combining meat and fruits/berries.  If I eat fruits/berries separately I do not experience and negative side effects.
I actually get a worse reaction when I eat fruits/berries alone, as my recent strawberry experiment brought home for me once again :( . I've tried eating fat with them too, which was another suggestion, but it didn't help much. Meat and fish seem to help most when I eat berries. I was expecting fat would help more, but it didn't help as much for whatever reason. I think it may be because I still don't digest fat optimally. Meat and fish protein seem to digest best for me, but being VLC means I must eat a lot of animal/fish fat, which I do digest better than fruit & veg. One reason I've been trying to find plant foods I digest reasonably well is that my fat digestion is still not optimized and it's hard to keep the fat intake high.

I'm trying coconut lately (last 4 weeks), eating/drinking both water and meat.  I still can't tell if coconut is positive or neutral, but it is definitely not negative.
I enjoy coconut but coconut oil makes me nauseas even in fairly small quantities and I find eating whole coconut to be too much bother, though I got one several weeks ago. I haven't noticed nausea from whole coconut meat, though I  don't eat it often and have gotten nausea from drinking too much green coconut water at once. I'm hoping that apparent digestive issues like these will improve further with time, but I won't cry if it doesn't happen. ;D
« Last Edit: June 19, 2010, 08:58:42 am by PaleoPhil »

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: June 19, 2010, 07:50:14 am »
Do you get these symptoms from raw honeycomb too?
I do, though not as bad. You can read my reports about it in this journal. I don't get the stomach effects from honey that I do from the acids in many fruits. I do love raw honey, so once in a while I eat small amounts of it as a treat, despite the mild negative effects even small amounts produce. I try to minimize the damage by eating lots of meat and fat with it, though it doesn't offset it completely. Raw honey and raw fruit are the most addictive of the RPD foods for me. So far I've managed to strictly limit them, but if the addiction gets out of hand again I'll drop them completely again. All this talk of honey and fruit is bringing back my cravings. LOL Must ... maintain ... control. :)

From my own experiments it wasn't the sugar that was causing less than perfect digestion of raw meat/fat, it was the fiber in fruit.
Fiber could be a factor for me too (some forms of fiber have been linked to mineral depletion, for example), but raw honeycomb, pulpless fruit juice, and all plant carbs also affect me negatively, so sugars appear to be more of a factor for me, and also acids.

I thought I had perfect digestion on fruit and raw meat but it was only after cutting all fruit out that I noticed a much improved digestion and absorption of nutrients from raw meat/fat. Then I tried raw honeycomb mixed with raw eggs and it did not upset the perfect digestion. So my guess is it must be the fermentation of fiber - or whatever is happening in there as a result of its presence - that is causing some problems. In my case it's just less optimal digestion and absorption of nutrients but with you it may be the same problem but slightly amplified.
Glad to hear of your success.

Maybe you could try the honeycomb+raw eggs drink to see what happens and if you are able to tolerate sugar better this way. That is, of course, if it sounds appealing to you.
I did come up with that drink independently. It made for a quick calorie boost when I didn't have time to eat meat and I do enjoy it. The eggs don't completely offset the negative effects of the honey for me, unfortunately--at least not yet.

It is interesting that raw honey causes me a bit less problems than heated honey. Years ago I don't think I would have guessed that.

Offline ys

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: June 19, 2010, 09:17:02 am »
Here's a question for you--if cutting out fruit for a time is supposed to be the cause of my problems with fruit, why didn't the same occur with the plant foods that I don't have much issue with?

you are funny, i am as clueless as you are and everyone else in here.

unlike many many reports of sudden progress and then falling behind, i see very very slow but steady progress.  why is it different from others - who knows?

when i started Weston Price I was producing goat-like poop, very small and very hard. since transitioning to raw meat, my stool has normalized.  i'm doing very basic things, more diverse than Lex, but not that much.  i do not seek nor i believe in some kind of magic beetle juice or any killer food combinations.  like you i was reading a lot of science papers but came to conclusion that most are either inconclusive or just theories.  so i tossed the whole science away for now.  if i run into interesting science paper i would read it but would not pay much attention to it.

i have gained around 7lb so far, i hope to increase it to 10 and then i'll post detailed report along with before and after pictures and maybe a workout video.

Offline actionhero

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: June 19, 2010, 08:59:37 pm »
Raw honey and raw fruit are the most addictive of the RPD foods for me.

From a perspective of increasing your health, energy and vitality are you getting anything out of fruit? Or do you want to be able to eat them because you enjoy doing so even though they might not improve any of the above?

Something I just realized recently is that the less stimulation we have the more our health seems to grow.

A P E X   P R E D A T O R

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: June 20, 2010, 09:30:02 am »
Here's a question for you--if cutting out fruit for a time is supposed to be the cause of my problems with fruit, why didn't the same occur with the plant foods that I don't have much issue with?

you are funny, i am as clueless as you are and everyone else in here.
Well, I'm glad you found humor in it, but I wasn't really trying to be funny. Didn't you expect questions would be generated by your apparent suggestion that my 279 mg/dl postprandial BG 2 hours after eating a lot of strawberries is more or less normal? I haven't seen many claims like yours before (on the contrary, I've even seen some fruitarians claim that loads of fruit doesn't spike their blood sugar or cause any of the symptoms I experience, or that such symptoms are just "detox"), so it seems to invite questions. Perhaps you're right about it, but I had little way to judge your claim, so I inquired. I also did some further searching of my own and found several sources that suggest that my numbers were not "normal" or healthy, though those sources unfortunately didn't provide quantities of food or sugars to compare to. I like to ask lots of questions. and maintain an attitude of basically questioning everything, because it's one of the ways I've learned a lot, though not everyone likes answering a lot of questions, of course, so I hope you don't mind mine.

My guess is that fruits affect me somewhat more negatively than greens and some other veggies I've listed and that fruits affect me more negatively than they do most other people (with some thriving on them, as Tyler likes to point out), but they're only guesses based largely on my experience and the reports others have made of their experiences. My problems with fruit don't appear to have started only after I cut them out. Apparently that has been the case for other people, but not for me.

I enjoy fruits quite a bit, but can live without them if need be (at least I managed to for some months and hope I would be able to manage it longer if necessary). I've been fascinated, from the standpoint of curious observer, by the amount of emotion that discussions of fruit seem to generate--along with dairy and fatty meats like pemmican (as Tyler has pointed out). Veggies that are low in starch and lean meats don't seem to generate as much emotion in discussions. Is it just coincidence that fruits, dairy and fatty meats also tend to be more tasty foods than veg and lean meats? In the cases where I've seen people say "I refuse to give up _____," I can't think of a single example where the food wasn't high in either carbs or fat. Fiber and protein don't seem to do it for people the way that carbs and fats do.
unlike many many reports of sudden progress and then falling behind, i see very very slow but steady progress.  why is it different from others - who knows?
Right, and that's one of the basic things I'm trying to figure out--why some things don't work for me that do for others, why others work for me that don't for others, what might help me get beyond stubborn plateaus with certain health issues I still have, etc. I find that asking questions, exploring and experimenting helps me work out what really does work best for me. In this way I've managed to work out decent answers to some puzzles that seemed insolvable at first blush.

For example, I used to think that I didn't need to cut back on fruits or nuts or eat mostly raw, but I asked questions, did some searching, experimented and found I did indeed do better when I made these further changes. The vast majority of Paleo dieters outside this forum seem to think like I used to think--that they wouldn't benefit greatly from further changes like going mostly- or all- raw. Some even go so far as to ridicule what we do. But my guess is that most of them haven't actually tried it, and until they do, it seems to me that they can't know for sure (which is one reason I tried it). Maybe their assumptions are right, maybe not. As you say, who knows? And as my mother used to say, "Don't knock it till you've tried it."

I see asking questions, experimenting and observing as being part of the scientific mindset ... and the hunter-gatherer mindset, for that matter (though there are of course also differences between modern science and HG culture and wisdom). Even if my health were fully optimized I would probably still be somewhat curious about these sorts of matters, because I've always been curious and enjoyed learning (perhaps because both my parents were educators for most of their careers). I hope I don't wear out people's patience with my questions--they aren't meant to do that. For me, questions and discussions of scientific matters are generally energy-boosters rather than depleters and I enjoy it the way Lex enjoys repairing clocks.

when i started Weston Price I was producing goat-like poop, very small and very hard. since transitioning to raw meat, my stool has normalized.  i'm doing very basic things, more diverse than Lex, but not that much.  i do not seek nor i believe in some kind of magic beetle juice or any killer food combinations.
Thanks for sharing your experience. I agree with you about not seeking any kind of magic, nor do I seek final answers from science papaers. I don't believe in magical cure-alls and try to apply skeptical questioning to extraordinary claims while still also keeping a generally open mind. To me science is not about answers and absolutism. It's about questions. The questions are the thing. It's the path that's important, more than the final destination. To me even religion, spirituality and philosophy seem at their healthiest when they are more about questions and the path (ex: Taoism, shamanism, animism, Eckhart Tolle, Socrates, ...) than answers and the destination (ex: Wahhabism, Osama bin Laden, the Jim Jones cult, the Heaven's Gate cult, ...).

As Daniel Quinn says, "there is no one right way to live" and to that I would add the corollary, "there is no one right way to find out how you should live." Your taking a break from science papers would probably be lauded by Tolle--he says that the spaces between words are important too, not just the words, and we could say that the spaces between the papers are also important (and there is certainly no necessity for scientific papers or even paper itself, for it is an invention that humans got along without for millions of years--thinking in terms of thousands or millions of years helps to put things in perspective). Even I need a break from science and learning at times and enjoy jaunts through the woods by my new home, which remind me of my childhood enjoyment of playing in the woods with friends and siblings.

like you i was reading a lot of science papers but came to conclusion that most are either inconclusive or just theories.  so i tossed the whole science away for now.  if i run into interesting science paper i would read it but would not pay much attention to it.
That's fine, I don't expect others to do what I do, and it would probably actually frighten me if a lot of people did. It doesn't bother me that scientific inquiries have been inconclusive or "just theories." Which should be unsurprising to anyone who knows my perspective. Plus, I utilize not just scientific papers, but also my experience, the reports of others of their experiences, the study of nature, experimentation and observation. I guess you could call it a sort of Jeet-Kune-Do approach to finding what works for me re: health and lifestyle. Human beings are fallible creatures incapable of perfection, so anything we produce, whether it be science or what have you, will be imperfect.

John Ioannidis revealed that many studies are bogus and influenced by money from interests like drug companies in  "Why Most Published Research Findings Are False." Yet, ironically, it was in a scientific research paper that he revealed this (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1182327/). So there's a quandary for you--scientific research is quite screwed up, but we don't have much else in the way of tools for testing claims in a way that satisfies multiple parties. I have my personal experience, but it may not do you a lot of good, so scientists attempt to put larger numbers of experiences together in studies to provide results that might be more relevant to more people, but unfortunately they need money to do it and those with the money don't tend to want to pay for things that produce results they don't like. It seems somewhat of a catch 22, but the Internet does seem to be helping people like you and me get around such problems by sharing our experiences and thoughts directly with each other in larger numbers than we could before its advent.

i have gained around 7lb so far, i hope to increase it to 10 and then i'll post detailed report along with before and after pictures and maybe a workout video.
Cool, thanks.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2010, 10:03:47 am by PaleoPhil »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk