Author Topic: PaleoPhil's Journal  (Read 338843 times)

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Re: PaleoPhil's Journal
« Reply #350 on: August 14, 2010, 05:39:01 pm »
Do you now get some of the benefits from high-meat re mood-improvement/energy-levels?
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: August 15, 2010, 05:04:33 am »
Haven't noticed any. Maybe that's because I eat plenty of raw meat and fat and fermented CLO, though that wouldn't explain why the Inuit get a high effect. Maybe they eat larger quantities at one time.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: August 22, 2010, 05:43:58 am »
Yesterday I finished the one bag of apples I bought minus one (the last one was too rotten to eat) and eating one or two apples a day was a failed experiment. The dead skin I used to get inside my cheeks when I ate plant carbs returned, I got a painful cystic zit on my nose, my anxiety levels went up, my sleep quality deteriorated and my constipation only improved for a couple days, which could have been due to other factors I was employing. The symptoms weren't as bad as in the past, probably because my intake was limited. I noticed tiny bits of some of the symptoms within a day, but it took close to a week for them to become obvious, which explains how I didn't realize the extent of my carb/symptoms connection in the past, though I had suspected it. In the past I thought if I just kept my carbs down to what I thought were reasonable LC levels (around 20-30% of calories), that would be enough, but when I started cutting back further it quickly became apparent that further cuts helped.

Wild Maine blueberries in season, limited to 1/2 cup or so at a time, and other berries or red/black grapes limited to 1/4 cup or so, and restricted to a few days every couple weeks, seems to be about my limit for fruit.

I learned that there's a Japanese yam that can be eaten raw, though to eat the skin requires using Neolithic vinegar (but peeling resolves that issue):

Yam
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yam_(vegetable)

".... An exception to the cooking rule is the Japanese mountain yam (Dioscorea opposita), known as nagaimo or yamaimo depending on the root shape.

It is eaten raw and grated, after only a relatively minimal preparation: the whole tubers are briefly soaked in a vinegar-water solution to neutralize irritant oxalate crystals found in their skin. The raw vegetable is starchy and bland, mucilaginous when grated, and may be eaten plain as a side dish, or added to noodles. The purple yam is popular as lightly deep fried tempura as well as being grilled or boiled. Additionally, the purple yam is a common ingredient of yam ice cream with the signature purple color."
« Last Edit: August 22, 2010, 05:51:59 am by PaleoPhil »
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele

Offline klowcarb

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: August 22, 2010, 08:37:34 am »
Stop eating fruit, please! Lol, you are like a guy that keeps asking out a girl in a new way, and she keeps saying no! Fruit doesn't like you, stick to meat and be happy you are eating food created for mankind and not sissy tree candy.  :D

alphagruis

« Reply #354 on: August 22, 2010, 04:53:53 pm »
Stop eating fruit, please! Lol, you are like a guy that keeps asking out a girl in a new way, and she keeps saying no!

Men are repeatedly taught by experiment that when girls say no one day or when asked in one way they often say yes another day or when asked in an other way  ;D  

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: August 23, 2010, 03:50:05 am »
But Tyler says that Harris' and Taubes' claims about the downsides of fruits are ridiculous! ;) LOL Some people like Tyler do seem to handle fruits better, and I won't argue with that--if it works for you go for it--but I certainly don't seem to handle fruits well. For me, despite being a fruit lover and hoping they would work for me, fruits do generally seem to have the effect of tree candy, and if that pisses off some of my fellow fruit lovers, too bad. The truth hurts sometimes. With luck they'll survive the fact that someone doesn't thrive on fruits.

The apple thing was more a fiber experiment than a fruit experiment. I'm focused on trying to resolve the constipation now, because it seems to be getting a bit worse. Unfortunately the experiment was a big failure after only a single bag of apples (that I didn't even finish). Some of the old symptoms started returning and it didn't help with the bowels. So much for the miracle of fruits.

I'm also curious about whether I can put a halt to my hair loss, the way Lex and Danny Roddy did. Its continuation tells me that my immune system is still likely attacking my hair cell proteins, which would mean that it's still a little out of control. That might involve denaturing bovine serum albumin proteins, either through heating or fermentation. Would air-drying do that at all? I'm also thinking of trying to eat more of other types of meat, if I can find my antibody test results.

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: August 23, 2010, 04:42:30 am »
omg paleophil, you're beating yourself up forcing fruits, lol.

as for constipation... extra fat?  can you eat coconut oil?  when i used to eat it (quite a while ago), it was like an instant bowel movement for me.  that's really embarrassing, btw, but i'm just trying to help :D 

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: August 23, 2010, 07:41:32 am »
Paleophil what do you mean by constipation...? If you mean you have a bloated discomfort in your guts I'd recommend eating fresh lean'ish raw beef.
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: August 23, 2010, 09:36:09 am »
Paleophil what do you mean by constipation...? If you mean you have a bloated discomfort in your guts I'd recommend eating fresh lean'ish raw beef.

Really?  Fat moves me  :)

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: August 23, 2010, 09:55:58 am »
omg paleophil, you're beating yourself up forcing fruits, lol.

as for constipation... extra fat?  can you eat coconut oil?  when i used to eat it (quite a while ago), it was like an instant bowel movement for me.  that's really embarrassing, btw, but i'm just trying to help :D  

LOL, I'd like to blame it on all the talk about sweet, juicy fruits at this forum, but I know it's up to me to try to block that out and resist. There's less temptation at the Dirty Carnivore forum and they're a better influence on me, but there's still some more I'd like to learn here too about the raw and Paleo aspects of my diet. Fat helps a little, but I can eat tons and tons of fat without getting diarrhea. I shock people with this ability. For example, for years my father told me to take flaxseed oil, without any noticeable benefit. I got fed up and I drank an entire 10 oz glass of flaxseed oil to prove to him and a friend that no amount of flaxseed oil gave me diarrhea or helped with my constipation at all. LOL I think that finally convinced him--at least he doesn't bug me to take flaxseed oil any more. And wouldn't you know it, since then multiple sources have indicated that flaxseed oil is not even all that healthy after all. I even got scolded at the Paleofood forum for daring to even mention using it.

People are also shocked when they see me eat suet and lots of fatty meats. Coconut oil gives me nausea and indigestion and is much more expensive than animal fat, but I may try that again some day for kicks.

No bloating or discomfort, no. I mean #1-2 on the Bristol stool scale http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bristol_Stool_Scale. Usually dry, hard pellets that are difficult to pass. Constipation has been a lifelong problem for me. It had gradually gotten worse over the years and become IBS-C with D, but the RPD did calm it down to just plain chronic constipation. I already eat lots of fresh raw beef and I've never heard of someone claiming that lean meat helps with constipation--usually they say just the opposite and I do find that fat helps more than lean, though not completely.

It's funny the way any time I mention constipation here, people tend to doubt me and I have to explain it repeatedly. I've run into this with a couple of physicians in the past too, including one who was rather rude, so I never mentioned it to him again (and I didn't like talking about it in the first place). It took me years to get over the social embarrassment of talking about it and I finally started asking about it when I tried various things and nothing worked and I was getting fed up with it. There seems to be this widespread feeling that most people who have chronic constipation don't really, so that people like me who really do have it have to answer all sorts of questions. The Bristol stool scale is a big help, because it's a single standard that nearly everyone can agree on and easily understand. Unfortunately, it means looking at images of poop, but it's the best way I've found to explain it.

Coincidentally, constipation and multiple sclerosis run in my mother's side of the family, including with my grandfather who looked a lot like me, and constipation is a common symptom of MS. I don't have MS, but I did have some other symptoms that my grandfather had and the gluten intolerance I have also runs in my mother's side of the family. So I think I still likely have some gut damage and autoimmunity. I have some other unresolved symptoms of this too--mainly underweight and continued hair loss. RPD has helped (I'm no longer withering away to near death and my hair loss slowed, for example), but I still have some ways to go.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 10:26:49 am by PaleoPhil »

Offline wodgina

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Opportunistic Carnivore
    • View Profile
« Reply #360 on: August 23, 2010, 10:02:29 am »
Wow, are you sure it's not stress related? anger?

you seem like a nice guy, caring , hard worker etc

This makes you prone to back pain, IBS, anxiety etc. IMO

“Integrity has no need of rules.”

Albert Camus

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: August 23, 2010, 10:37:31 am »
Wow, are you sure it's not stress related? anger?

you seem like a nice guy, caring , hard worker etc

This makes you prone to back pain, IBS, anxiety etc. IMO

LOL, no I've heard that suggestion before and I've tried relaxation techniques like yoga and meditation (and still do them because I enjoy them) and even tried relaxing medications, but that didn't help noticeably with the constipation and it doesn't correlate directly with stress that I've noticed over the years--I wish it were that easy. Stress can probably worsen it some in some people, but when constipation is chronic, at most daily stressors can vary the intensity a bit in some people and in me there is little to no correlation. Stress is more another symptom than a cause. Some stressful days it will be pretty good and some very relaxed days it will be at its worst. As a matter of fact, it tends to get a bit worse on vacations, I think because I get out of my routine a bit, and going at regular times and eating at regularly times helps a bit.

And no, I don't have a lot of anger and my anxiety is much reduced since going Paleo years ago and reduced even more when I went VLC/ZC and still a little more when I went raw, and the IBS cleared up, thank heavens, yet the constipation continues and has even gotten a touch worse after a brief period of improvement, despite continued low anxiety levels. As a matter of fact, people remark to me at how calm and serene I am and how it's difficult for anyone to get me angry or flustered no matter how much they pester me.

These are the sorts of questions I often get, though, because I think many people assume that constipation and IBS are mostly somehow mental. Like people bring it on themselves or something. It's rare for people to acknowledge that gut flora imbalances, damage to the epithelial cells in the intestine, digestive intolerances, immune system malfunction and other factors can be involved, despite hundreds of studies making the links. I guess it's just a minor burden I'll have to bear until this problem is resolved. Don't worry, though, I'm used to such questions at this point and they don't bother me.

When my IBS mostly cleared up my hopes were raised that my constipation would fully resolve too--especially when it significantly improved for a few weeks after going all raw. All I can do is keep working at it. Some things like senna and coffee do help, but I don't think it's wise to take either of those every day. Plus, the effectiveness of the senna seems to decline over time and too much coffee gives my gas and indigestion.

My grandfather had chronic constipation, and he was one of the most peaceful, happy and positive people I've known. It got worse in his later years even though he was retired and taking it easy. I think the worsening of it had more to do with his worsening MS than his demeanor.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 10:47:19 am by PaleoPhil »

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: August 23, 2010, 11:00:11 am »
Fat helps a little, but I can eat tons and tons of fat without getting diarrhea.

I didn't mean diarrhea... fat (not in excess, though) just makes me go, lol.  For sure 10 oz any oil would hurt me  -[

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: August 23, 2010, 11:46:10 am »
I didn't mean diarrhea... fat (not in excess, though) just makes me go, lol.  For sure 10 oz any oil would hurt me  -[
LOL, yeah, I'm sure it would hurt a lot of people. Stuff that gives other people diarrhea either has no effect on me or acts like a mild laxative. To give you an idea of what it's like, you know how people complain about how bad it is, with sometimes violent, frequent diarrhea when they have to take that Golightly stuff and get cleaned out before a colonoscopy? For me it wasn't unpleasant at all. It was just like taking a good laxative that actually worked for me. It took quite a long time before it kicked in and it had a rather gentle effect. I was waiting for the horrible part that people told me about, but it never came. I was surprised that I even managed to get cleaned out. Eventually I was even given a Px by a gastroenterologist to take a smaller dose of that Golightly stuff on a daily basis! And it only helped a little! :o If that doesn't convince people that it's more than just some stress or anxiety, I don't know what will. :D

Remember, my constipation has been lifelong and runs in the family, along with MS, Parkinson's, diabetes types 1 and 2 and other diseases and disorders of civilization, so it's not just a matter of an occasional stress-triggered constipation or something minor like that. When most people think of constipation they tend to think of the occasional, minor sort. My colon was examined and found to be abnormally long, which was diagnosed as "Redundant Colon" and is one physical result of long-term chronic constipation. To make matters worse, redundant colon contributes to constipation and is sometimes even treated with surgery to resolve it ("Redundant colon as a cause of constipation," http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1413317/). I probably should have mentioned that to begin with, but it's not something I'm fond of talking about, and I don't want to give up and assume I'm beyond help--I like to stay positive and hopeful and I've seen ancestral dieting do some amazing, supposedly impossible things already for me, and I did have those few weeks of marked improvement in constipation (though not total resolution), so I'm "keeping hope alive." :D

Maybe the medical community should come up with a new term for serious, chronic constipation so people don't confuse it with occasional irregularity.

On the bright side, I just noticed that a bunch more of the vertical ridges on my fingernails have recently started to disappear. Strangely, the improvement is mostly on my thumbnails. Some of the improvements from diet are rather bizarre and I never would have predicted them. If I tried to show it to a physician he would probably think I went nuts or something. :) One benefit of this is it has really opened my mind and caused me to question a lot of things, and I'm also seeing how certain phenomena apply across multiple fields of science, but most of the scientists and thinkers aren't making the connections because they're so focused on their own specialty. There are some brilliant exceptions, though, like Mandelbrot and Taleb.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 12:08:26 pm by PaleoPhil »

Offline wodgina

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Opportunistic Carnivore
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: August 23, 2010, 12:19:00 pm »
I had constipation for 10 years. Everyday. That was my main IBS symptom.

I know what you talk about, I am too embarassed to talk about the extreme lengths I've had to take. So my thoughts are not to be taken lightley on the subject.

“Integrity has no need of rules.”

Albert Camus

alphagruis

« Reply #365 on: August 23, 2010, 03:45:44 pm »
PaleoPhil, I suggest you give a try to pure ascorbic acid or sodium ascorbate intake in the high dose form. It's known to trigger bowel movement when dose exceeds some theshhold that might be above many g (not mg !) and vit C is anyway also a nice antioxidant that might be useful in your case.
There is essentially no risk, you can safely experiment with increasing doses beginning for instance with 1 g and increasing up to 10 or even 20g or more. I have no experience myself with it but for many people with constipation it seems to work and has probably other healing effects. Might be useful as a temporary cure or relief.

Not paleo of course, but IMO to heal damage caused by neolithic food or foolish way of life, neolithic means and orthomolecular "drugs" might well be sometimes useful and even indispensable. There is no logical contradiction of this with the paradigm of this forum.  

« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 03:59:39 pm by alphagruis »

Offline Hanna

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: August 23, 2010, 06:03:48 pm »
Phil, re constipation/fruit: You could try melons of all sorts, coconut (!), papaya. No banana, unless they are overripe. I like banana most if their peel is already black.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: August 24, 2010, 07:42:07 am »
I had constipation for 10 years. Everyday. That was my main IBS symptom.

I know what you talk about, I am too embarassed to talk about the extreme lengths I've had to take. So my thoughts are not to be taken lightley on the subject.

Ah, I didn't know you were thinking of your own experience and didn't mean to give the impression that I would take your experience lightly. Feel free to share what worked for you, if you like. I was in a silly mood at the time and I guess I was chuckling at the irony of your post given that I was feeling good and jamming to some positive music at the time and thinking of the marvelous calm, serenity and at times even euphoria I've experienced over the last year or so, despite the continued constipation (although it has improved from the IBS it used to be). I have been having less of the euphoria very recently, though, so maybe that's a clue of some sort, or maybe my body is just getting used to my diet at this point. I think Tyler mentioned that the euphoria he got from high meat eventually wears off if he eats it frequently.

One thing I've been doing in recent months, per the inspiration of Eckhard Tolle, is to not just take 15 minutes out of each day to meditate and breath yogically, but to incorporate meditation and yogic breathing into my daily life, the way I try to incorporate exercise into it. I use many of the little breaks during the day as opportunities for meditation, such as if I'm waiting at a stop light in traffic or waiting for a computer to finish loading a document to the screen or to run a report. Also, unless there's a need for me to speak quickly, I try to speak in a somewhat meditative way to people. I've noticed that many people are hyper and stressed out these days, and my meditative behavior seems to relax many of them as well as me. I can't go overboard with it at work, though, else I'd probably come across as slow and lazy, but several people have remarked that I don't seem to let anyone get to me.

Thanks for the suggestions, Alphagruis and Hanna. Believe it or not, I have tried multiple grams of ascorbic acid (I think it was up to 2-3 g or so in a day) on multiple occasions with zero effect on my bowels. I seem to be a mystery to medical science. I actually had a physician tell me words to that effect once. :) About how many grams would you guess I should try? Maybe I should go for a world record (joke :P ). I know Linus Pauling recommended 10 g per day, but acidic stuff like ascorbic acid is hard on my stomach and I don't care for some of the ingredients in the buffered kins.

I think I'll be going easy on the fruit for a while, Hanna, as several of my symptoms started to relapse with apples and I still haven't quite gotten back to where I was yet. I have been thinking about trying coconut oil again some day, despite the past nausea from it. If I can stomach small amounts it would give me another fat source and add some more variety to my diet, though I can't imagine it becoming a staple food--especially when animal fats are much cheaper. How do you eat your coconut and coconut oil?

Bananas do a negative number on me. I'm amazed that some people can eat 30 bananas a day without dying. I thought bananas and fruit smoothies would help with my potassium deficiency and weight gain, but they only made both issues and others worse.

Boy, you really know you're in a pro-fruit forum when people recommend fruit to you right after fruits did a number on you. ;)
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 11:42:10 am by PaleoPhil »

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #368 on: August 24, 2010, 04:40:47 pm »
Have you tried either long-term fasting or Intermittent Fasting yet as a solution?
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: August 24, 2010, 07:00:43 pm »
I've tried IF, but I lose too much weight, so I usually eat 2x /day.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: August 25, 2010, 10:01:47 am »
I went to the market yesterday and while there I figured I may as well buy the ascorbic acid and coconut oil and give them a shot. I made the ascorbic acid pure by dumping the pure powder out of the capsules they come in. As Dr. Ron explains, the magnesium stearate crap is a lubricant. Some of it winds up on the surface of the capsules, so if you discard the capsules, you discard the magnesium stearate. I tried 3 g. It was nasty tasting and the acid was harsh on my stomach, just as I remembered it. I also tried a half tsp of coconut oil. That little bit gave me rapid and extensive nausea, also like the last time I tried it. I had a very tiny improvement in bowels today, so I'll try 6 g of ascorbic acid tonight, but I'll keep it in the capsules to avoid worse stomach upset. I'll also try 1/4 tsp coconut oil.

The market was out of the ever-popular suet, so I grudgingly bought some lard (I know, Tyler, that means I'm going to die ;) ), which always seems to be plentiful. For the first time, I liked the taste of it, especially refrigerated into a cool semi-solid. I also bought and ate mostly raw ground pork instead of beef this time, hoping to calm down my immune system some more.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 04:10:52 pm by PaleoPhil »

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: August 25, 2010, 04:05:59 pm »
WARNING: I do NOT recommend taking 6 g of ascorbic acid at once! I woke up in the middle of the night with reflux that was choking me and making it difficult to breathe and feeling nauseous. The ascorbic acid burned my throat as it came back up and the nasty taste of ascorbic acid filled my throat and mouth. The paralysis of sleep made it difficult to move, but luckily my nasal passages were only partially blocked off and I managed to breathe through my nose. I struggled to get up and was able to resume breathing freely. My brain was barely awake and confused about what was going on, but luckily it slowly became alarmed and kicked further into consciousness. I was half dreaming, half awake. My first conscious thought was that I was just having a bad dream in which I felt ill, but the choking persisted and in retrospect it seemed like the primitive part of my brain awakened somewhat further, with some alarm and confusion and it worked at trying to figure out what was happening.

It was the first reflux I've had in for quite a while--I can't remember when the last time was--and the 2nd worst reflux episode I've ever had. It's quite a helpless feeling to have one's muscles nearly paralyzed while one is choking. The survival reflex didn't kick in this time, so I didn't jerk up and didn't quickly come to full consciousness like I did during my worst past reflux episode years ago when the reflux quickly became a full stream of vomit and completely cut off my air. I think the fact that I was still able to get some oxygen through my nose this time, whereas I was fully suffocating during the worst episode, accounts for this.

I thought I might have had a slight therapeutic effect from 3 g of ascorbic acid and I thought that Alphagruis' recommendation of many grams of it and Linus Pauling's therapeutic treatment of 10 g per day (http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/infocenter/vitamins/vitaminC/) meant that 6 g would be relatively safe to try once, but I was wrong.

Ironically, my constipation worsened, rather than improved. Overall an utter failure of an experiment. Never again for me. Lesson learned.

Here are some reported potential side effects from Ascorbic Acid Controlled-Release Capsules (I took the ordinary kind, rather than time-release):

Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome when using Ascorbic Acid Controlled-Release Capsules:

Diarrhea; nausea; upset stomach; vomiting.

Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur when using Ascorbic Acid Controlled-Release Capsules:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); kidney stones (eg, abdominal pain/back pain, painful urination).

Read more: http://www.drugs.com/sfx/ascorbic-acid-side-effects.html#ixzz0xbYI3Yy6
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 04:53:24 pm by PaleoPhil »

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #372 on: August 25, 2010, 06:12:38 pm »
Constipation - colon toning and restoration - these things have worked for me:

Colon cleanser: Dr. Tam's Miracle Tea
http://www.curemanual.com/detox-protocols-and-treatments/colon-cleansing/doctor-tams-miracle-tea/

Colon function restoration: Barefoot Herbalist MH Lower Bowel Balance
http://barefootherbalistmh.com
(took this for 1 month)

I also modified my pooping stance so I am technically more squatting than sitting on the toilet bowl.

I'm trying to back read your problem and it seems it is constipation?

LBB is wonderful as it trains the colon to be self sufficient. 
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: August 26, 2010, 04:23:19 am »
Unfortunately I passed out on the floor during the night after my first bout of reflux and woke with more acute reflux and nausea. Luckily, the diarrhea finally came, so I avoided having to vomit up the burning acidic stuff, but the diarrhea was nasty. It was violent and accompanied by nausea and it was horribly foul smelling. It went on mercilessly for quite a while. I vowed during it that I would never take many grams of ascorbic acid again. To avoid another bout of reflux I slept in the tub with my head elevated, which worked rather well and I was finally able to sleep through the rest of the by now morning, though not well, and I still woke with some stomach upset, occasional mild refluxes, gas, malaise and muscle aches. The awful taste of ascorbic acid occasionally comes up my throat, reminding me of my foolish error born of frustration.

Well I'm sorry PaleoPhil.

I think that ascobic acid whatever the dose should be taken in solution of pure stuff in water. If the acid taste appears to be too harsh just stop drinking and intake or switch to a solution of sodium ascorbate. I do not recommand to buy capsules but rather the pure stuff in the form of powder.
I know you were only trying to help, Alphagruis. I guess this has been a lesson for both of us--be careful what you recommend and how you recommend it and be careful what recommendations you follow and how you follow them. I suppose thorough research beforehand and increased caution by both of us might have helped in this case. I had some experience with vitamin C and had done some past research, and unfortunately put too much reliance on this and my high opinion of you. In my impatience for progress I didn't investigate further before embarking on the experiment.

The capsules contain the pure powder, so you can just empty the capsules to get the pure powder and put it in water. There was no plain powder available at the market and I wasn't about to buy a big bottle of powder when I hadn't even determined yet that the stuff would be safe and effective for me. On the contrary, I looked for and bought the smallest quantity of it that was available, to test it first.

I do see what you mean about how taking this nasty stuff directly in water prevents you from taking too much of a dose, but this also prevented beneficial effect on my bowels. I used your method the first day and couldn't get beyond 3 g of ascorbic acid, so that would have stopped me at that level or lower if I tried the same the next day, but that level had little effect (so small that I'm not sure that it really had any effect at all, though enough of a hint of softening that I decided to try upping the dose, unfortunately), and there's no way I would drink pure ascorbic acid in water again anyway. It tasted nasty and even the 3 g was hard on my stomach, even with trying to buffer it with food. I thought that maybe taking the capsules and buffering with water and food would enable it to get past the stomach and duodenum and maybe digest better, but it didn't work.

In retrospect I wonder why is the body expelling the vitamin C with diarrhea and potentially vomiting unless it views it as very bad to have that level in the body? From a natural perspective, it seems like it wouldn't be a good idea to use megadoses of vitamin C except in rare, acute circumstances when nothing else works. On the other hand, taking excess doses of magnesium has a similar effect and that's generally regarded as safe up to a certain point. Magnesium is far less harsh for me than pure ascorbic acid powder in water, and actually settles my stomach, so between the two I would definitely choose Mg and don't recommend pure ascorbic acid powder to anyone. Also in retrospect, I should have known that ascorbic acid would not be a good idea, because even the acid of orange juice is upsetting to my stomach and tends to give me reflux. My father has the same problem with it and his doctor of decades ago told him to avoid citrus juices and coffee, after which his reflux symptoms disappeared. This is a relatively common problem, from what I've seen on the Internet, but fruit fans never seem to mention it and perhaps many of them are unaware of it. In my frustration with chronic constipation I forgot to consider this problem.

Perhaps some benefit can come out of this misery by my serving as a warning to others about the potential dangers of megadoses of ascorbic acid and about the disturbing lack of discussion of potential dangers among Burger and his followers and other highly ideological dietary groups, such as the 30-BAD crowd. Beware wherever the focus seems more on ideology and propagation of the faith than on consideration and open discussion of ALL effects--harmful as well as helpful.

In France it's available for wine growers in cheap 1kg bags. You can get it in the US for instance here:

http://www.sourcenaturals.com/search/?terms=sodium+ascorbate
This is one of those rare instances when I can feel justified saying hell no! Never again. It would be unwise and irrational for me to do that given my experiences on both occasions I tried it and I humbly suggest that you don't recommend it to anyone without strong warnings about the potential problems of severe diarrhea and nausea and with chronic use for gastritis and kidney stones (http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/natural/patient-vitaminc.html), which are commonly listed as side effects for high doses of ascorbic acid, and from my experience I would add stomach upset and reflux. I despised ascorbic acid in the pure-powder-with-water form. It was harsh on my stomach and even 3 g produced a little reflux with very little benefit, which are the reasons why I tried leaving it in the capsules. I could probably manage the vitamin C powder drinks, which are buffered with refined sugar, but I don't handle refined sugar well, or any sweetener for that matter, and would rather not take it as a regular treatment. My problem is not a occasional constipation, but chronic. This is an important distinction that bears repeating, as many people are only personally familiar with acute constipation and wrongly assume that all constipation is the same. I already have senna and mega dose magnesium, which I far, far prefer to ascorbic acid, for the acute cases of particularly bad constipation. I need something I can take nearly every day.

Now, if Vit C doesn't help maybe, as Iguana already suggested as far as I can remember, you should also give a try to cassia fistula, the fruit used by instinctos and claimed by Burger to help in body detox. This might well bear some truth and at any rate whenever I used it to this purpose it invariably triggered bowel movement in me a few hours after intake.

This is a legume whose fruit contains quinones well known for their laxative properties.
Yes, cassia fistula is a legume, like senna and both contain quinones (the quinones in senna that are the main active ingredients are senna glycosides). Senna is readily available where I live, but I've never seen cassia fistula fruit, which is probably why I've never seen it recommended anywhere except this forum and Burger's Anopsology.

Senna works OK for me acutely. The bowels it produces are mildly unpleasant and malodorous, however, and become black and the odd unpleasantness increases (as though toxins were going through my bowel, irritating it and producing mild nausea, and this is apparently part of how they work) if I take a higher dose of senna--again it seems that the body is trying to get rid of it and legumes like senna are regarded as toxic in raw Paleo for the lack of human biological adaptation to them, for the lectins and other toxic antinutrients they contain, and for the fact that most of them need to be cooked to reduce their toxins to digestible levels, so I'm trying to find something less toxic to use on a regular basis and save the senna and high-dose Mg for rare occasions.

Have you done any research on cassia fistula yourself and have you read any of the reports from Cordain's international team of scientists on plant antinutrients? I hope you're not just relying on Burger's recommendation. I see Cordain and his colleagues (Eaton, Bastos, Lindeberg, and others) as much more credible than Burger. I haven't seen any evidence that cassia fistula is toxic in occasional acute doses, but I haven't found any research at all on chronic use, which is concerning. After all, most people don't consider any of the non-Paleo or cooked foods as toxic, but we here know better. I'm particularly looking for something I can use relatively regularly--preferably a nontoxic food. Ascorbic acid seemed like something sufficiently benign that I could take it more than just occasionally, but boy was I mistaken!

One eats just the sweet fruitpulp (only if attractive according to instincto stance  ;)) that surrounds the seeds. The latter are toxic.
If the fruit were also not mildly toxic by including milder levels of toxins like quinone glycosides, it would likely not have nearly as much of a laxative effect. This is one thing that many fruit fans don't seem to be aware of--that even fruits as well as seeds and other parts of plants can contain toxic substances. Fruits are not always totally free of toxins, they just usually contain lower concentrations of defensive chemicals and less toxic varieties. The fruit-plant strategy seems to be to include just enough insecticide-type toxins to discourage small predators that aren't large enough to consume the seeds and spread them through defecation, but not so much that the fruit becomes bitter to larger animals that can spread the seeds of the fruit.

Not just plants, but also arthropods take advantage of the toxic nature of quinones to defend themselves against predators:

"Some of the quinones don't get used up, but sit on the epidermis, making the arthropod distasteful. (Quinones are used as defensive secretions in a variety of modern arthropods, from beetles to millipedes. [Eisner, 1970])" (http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/bombardier.html)

So it's not that quinones are inherently nontoxic, it's that the levels in sources like cassia fistula and senna are not concentrated enough to be toxic for large animals like humans in the short term. What effects they have over the longer term is an unknown, though the research on other legumes suggests that there may be potential for some harm.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 05:13:06 am by PaleoPhil »

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: August 26, 2010, 08:15:43 am »
Man, I'm feeling worse again from that ascorbic acid, with intestinal cramps, reflux burps that have that awful ascorbic acid taste and increasing malaise. I hope I don't miss a second day of work because of this.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk