Author Topic: Ramblings of a madman...  (Read 162044 times)

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
Re: Ramblings of a madman...
« Reply #175 on: August 30, 2010, 07:06:06 pm »
Progress photos after another month. You really can't see much change in size although it does look like my torso is getting bigger. I'm at 178.4 as of this morning.

I upped the intensity a bit yesterday. I did two sets of 25-pound weighted push-ups (9 reps and 7 reps). I also attempted 50-pound push-ups but could only do 3 reps. Did some unweighted push-ups, pull-ups, chin-ups, and dips to round things out. Gave 50-pound weighted pull-ups a shot but couldn't get a single one. I definitely notice a much more solid mass of muscle in my arm after the weighted exercises and it was nice to have lower reps so I'm going to keep that up. I do need to find a better method of holding the weights as a backpack can be a bit unwieldy with metal plates in it.

I'm also taking a mental health day off from work today. My wife was up sick all night (the ice cream she bought at Cold Stone Creamery had corn syrup in it and she didn't know) which made for a choppy night's sleep. Between that and a busy day yesterday (drove 1 1/2 hours to a water park, saw how massively busy it was, and turned right around and drove home-we don't intentionally deal with people in those quantities) I'm burned out and need a rest.

I also want to share a photo we took of my wife and I yesterday. Nothing special about it, in fact it's kind of out-of-focus, but I really like it. ;D
https://www.facebook.com/djr1981
As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness.
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #176 on: September 05, 2010, 08:17:38 am »
I began eating my high meat yesterday. The whole time I've been making it (3ish weeks) it's been left out of the fridge and aired at least once every other day. The last week, at my wife's behest because of the smell, it's been left outside (in the 80-90* heat) and aired once a day.
It smelled positively rank yesterday and trepidation about how it would taste made it that much more unbearable. I spit the first piece out and then had two smaller pieces that I just gulped right down. I couldn't stand the taste.
Tonight I decided that I would confront things head-on and slowly and deliberately eat my high meat purposely tasting every bite to figure out why it was so repulsive. I sat down in a chair beside our koi pond and ate small pieces, one at a time, drawing the process out greatly. Interestingly this resulted in a much easier time eating it with a still unpleasant but significantly less repugnant flavor. It really is mind over matter.
Oh, and I now know why they call it "High Meat". I'm fucked up. I'd say it's the equivalent of an alcohol buzz but it's noticeable to me. Thinking about it it'd probably have been a lot of fun to site in a drum circle and just feel the music feeling like this. It'll be interesting to note the other benefits if/when they occur for me. I was very energetic today even with a small intake of food so maybe I began experiencing benefits today.
FWIW this clearly shows that both the meat I got before which was sold as fresh was previously frozen and that pre-frozen meat isn't worth jack to make true high meat. 4-ish months in the fridge with the other meat is nowhere near what this stuff is.

Oh, and for the record I am exhibiting none of my Candida symptoms from the high meat (my Candida brain fog is drastically different from how I feel right now). As far as I'm concerned possible amines in high meat are clearly not an issue.
As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness.
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #177 on: September 05, 2010, 05:37:27 pm »
I'm not quite sure why prefrozen meat isn't suitable for making high-meat. Perhaps the fact that the freezing destroys the cell membranes makes the nutrient loss more drastic and therefore indirectly affects the bacteria feeding upon those nutrients?
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #178 on: September 05, 2010, 07:38:18 pm »
I'd also like to add that I began having some stomach pains later last night and had a couple rounds of the runs. I'm not sure at this point if this was due to the high meat, 2 pounds of brisket I ate in one sitting (I was hungry and felt no stop whatsoever so just kept eating), or the seltzer I drank last night. I am goign to hold off on the high meat for a couple days and give it another shot later in a more controlled experiment.
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: September 05, 2010, 10:13:57 pm »
Great to see you, Dan!

So it would I be pushing it to say you 'enjoyed' the high meat?? :)  ... Maybe more of an 'acceptance'? 

I'm trying to make my first high meat now (as of yesterday), but it's from pre-frozen. I've never had fresh meat yet.  I know places like North Star Bison, and US Wellness ship fresh meat.. do you think that is truly fresh though??  I don't think my farmer would do it, or maybe if I was willing to pick up on their processing day... hmmm, idk.

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #180 on: September 05, 2010, 11:33:37 pm »
So it would I be pushing it to say you 'enjoyed' the high meat?? :)  ... Maybe more of an 'acceptance'? 
I think accept is a good term. Or acknowledged why it was as it was without judging good or bad.

I'm trying to make my first high meat now (as of yesterday), but it's from pre-frozen. I've never had fresh meat yet.  I know places like North Star Bison, and US Wellness ship fresh meat.. do you think that is truly fresh though??  I don't think my farmer would do it, or maybe if I was willing to pick up on their processing day... hmmm, idk.
I haven't purchased from either so I couldn't tell you how fresh it truly is. I have doubts due ot the scale they sell at any given time but anything is possible. I think through your farmer might be the best bet.
FWIW I'm goign to make some with fresh swordfish as well. Maybe you can find seafood by you that hasn't been frozen which could be a test batch as well. :)

Most of my stomach discomfort has passed BTW. I'm not sure what to make of it really but perhaps it was some form of mild detox? I'll see next time I have the meat.
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline wodgina

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Opportunistic Carnivore
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: September 06, 2010, 02:32:02 am »
I watched Aajonus eat high meat, he didn't enjoy it.
“Integrity has no need of rules.”

Albert Camus

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: September 06, 2010, 02:49:19 am »

Most of my stomach discomfort has passed BTW. I'm not sure what to make of it really but perhaps it was some form of mild detox? I'll see next time I have the meat.

oh, i meant to comment about that... carbonated water would do that to me... i don't drink it anymore, and if i did try it again, it would be on an empty stomach.  not saying it's not detox, though... not sure...

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: September 06, 2010, 02:49:54 am »

lol, i can appreciate that

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #184 on: September 06, 2010, 02:56:44 am »
oh, i meant to comment about that... carbonated water would do that to me... i don't drink it anymore, and if i did try it again, it would be on an empty stomach.  not saying it's not detox, though... not sure...

I have one brand, Saratoga, which I do indulge in occasionally. So long as I don't go overboard (a whole 1 liter bottle in one sitting or more than 1 bottle a week) it doesn't give me problems. I haven't had any in well over a month but we stopped at the stoe that stocks it yesterday so I had to buy some. :)
I don't give much credence to detox as it's used as an excuse for everything. I'm still doubtful even in this circumstance that I'm detoxing anything. At this point I'm thinking it just sat out so long and got so inundated with bacteria that it sat badly. The smaller dose the day before sat fine so it's probably too strong in the amount I ate last night.
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: September 06, 2010, 05:15:37 am »
Where did you see that? He seemed to enjoy it in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIrFhfyrmS4.

I'm finding that I'm getting more and more used to it myself.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline KD

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: September 06, 2010, 11:36:46 pm »
PP: I assume he meant in person. I could probably be a good enough actor with anything under 4 mo :) he's probably more adjusted to it, but its gotta sting sometimes no matter how acclimated.

in regards to detox:

While I can understand the suspicions around the word detox (particularity for those who have been in an around the vegan or hygiene 'excuse' models for such things) I don't understand how people can reject the likelihood of almost all symptoms being some attempt of the body to expell waste or repairing damage resulting in discomfort, pain, or inflammation. The idea that health (for contemporary people) is being free of symptoms can be a dangerous mindset equaled to obsessions or excuse making of detox. Plenty of people in their 60's claim of never 'getting sick' and clearly don't have completely healthy tissue at the cellular level. Plenty of fruitarian minded folks (refraining from all modern foods and as much toxins as possible) claim to have many years (post what THEY define as detox) in an extreme sense of euphoria, only to develop all kinds of weird 'disease' like rubella or some other oddity. These are more than just deficiency in diet or over-sufficiency of some macro-nutrient and this is the same for people on a healthy raw diet.

The truth of it - in my experience - is that these toxins and mutations are very present, very stubborn, entrenched, and best handled slowly over time through periodic release. I don't believe fasting is a great tool to reverse this process or eliminate wastes, but its certainly a good litmus test to tell if one can develop symptoms purely based on the ingestion of nothing. Rarely would anyone last a week without some sense of flu like symptoms, headaches etc...

I find non-acute symptoms to be totally welcome, in unison with obvious productive physical improvements (particularly those like skin, hair, nails etc..) which are largely cosmetic and low on a hierarchy of importance. I try not to locate these symptoms in any cause as its very unlikely today's cause could be any worse than what I did daily for 20-25+ years of my life. (Unless we are talking about short symptoms from cooked foods or something)

Even if one wants to entertain the so called 'cause' by a person place or thing ingested's bacterium or virus, the experience of symptoms is still that of detox, the expelation of matter still being largely old and not newly regenerated by viruses etc..

particularly for those who see the logic of raw eating, even if their main goal would be to use the raw materials from unheated foods to rebuild tissues, this would inheritly point to older tissue being built on largely toxic materials.

it seems to me that the only possible explanation for symptoms at all other than this which are common would be psychological-hypochondriac behavior, or stress which in itself are merely ignition for the bodies normal detoxification by becoming overwhelmed or overtaxed by environment, poor foods or combinations etc... Even the ingestion of toxic or allergenic foodstuffs, would result in symptoms of detoxification. The only problem really is confusing symptoms in all cases as being evidence of something productive, but its always some kind of evidence of at least attempted removal of wastes.

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #187 on: September 22, 2010, 07:53:58 pm »
I'm off from work this week. ;D

I had a good long work-out Monday morning and Monday night. Definitely noticing more tightness to my muscles and they're more visible. I was down to 179.6 Monday morning from 181.2 on Saturday morning but it was probably just normal weight fluctuation.
I went on a 7 miles bike ride yesterday and then did a 2 mile hike in the woods with my wife. On the hike we came across lots of acorns so I decided to collect some to try when we got home. The acorns were mixed between two varieties but the tannins were way too much fresh out of the shell. I shelled about a dozen, crushed them, and put them in an old sock (improvisation ;D) to flush under cold water. I let the water run over them for 45 minutes but they were still bitter and unedible. I gave up on them at this point. Unfortunately I've been dealing with stomach pain and disturbing sounds from my stomach since eating the bits of acorn (~1 acorn worth) so I'm definitely allergic to them.

Tomorrow my wife and I are driving up to the farm we buy our meat from. We're going to watch as they process the chickens for the week and then get a guided tour around the farm. :)
Friday is the Bronx Zoo with my wife, my sister, and her boyfriend.
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline wodgina

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: September 22, 2010, 07:57:58 pm »
Sounds fun Dan and Zoo's are actually pretty cool have a good one with the family.

Albert Camus

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #189 on: September 24, 2010, 03:36:50 am »
Went to the farm today. Huge (450+ acres) place but very intelligently used and definitely not overcrowded by the ~300 head of cattle. A real eye-opener as to what real farming entails but the wife and I would still like to do it someday, albeit on a smaller scale.
Our first stop was the processing room where they were killing the chickens for the week. It was done in much the same way as I've seen described elsewhere; the bird is placed into a metal cone upside down where it has it's throat slit and bleeds out into a sloped trough below. The birds are then beheaded, tossed into hot water to loosen feathers, tossed into a drum with brushes to strip the feathers, and then tossed into a cold water bath to chill down to 40*F. Most of the birds went quickly as they bled out but a couple had a lot of fight in them and took much longer to die. It was kind of hard to watch it but I made sure my wife and I did so we knop just where our food comes from and what happens to it before it gets to our plates.

After the chickens we drove around the complex and saw a number of different pastures in use.
The Egg-Mobiles are a cool contraption in person and really ingenious. Pretty amazing when they drop the door/plank from the side and dozens of chickens come rushing out. :)
The cattle were very healthy and looked content. They've been in a drought up there for a while so the grass was growing very slowly so the cattle are going to be eating hay before the middle of next month but the cattle didn't seem to be wanting.
The last herd we saw was the mommas and calves. Those were some serious heifers. The biggest breeders were ~1800 pounds and just massive. Even the calves were doing fantastic; probably over 1,000 pounds and just 6-8 months old. The calves are also fully grass-fed so obviously they can grow just fine on grass.

We're going to go back in the late spring to see the farm at a different time of year. It'll be nice to see all the babies. ;D
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #190 on: September 25, 2010, 07:55:25 pm »
In an interesting turn of events I've been noticing that I've got less hunger for meat or fat than I used to have. I'm still doing regular (every third day) bodyweight exercises and strengthening/bulking/toning as a result so obviously I'm not suffering as a result of lower intake. I think my body is just markedly more efficient burning fat, after the ~13 months I've been raw carnivore, which means I need less intake.
I'm 180.4 pounds as of this morning and 6'-3". My daily intake is frequently just a pound of ground lean beef (old bull) with some days up to 2 pounds. I'm also taking in ~1/2 to ~3/4 cup of suet by volume. Days that I eat a fatty cut of brisket with lots of tasty soft fat I don't even add suet.
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline wodgina

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: September 25, 2010, 08:49:39 pm »
Where did you see that? He seemed to enjoy it in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIrFhfyrmS4.

I'm finding that I'm getting more and more used to it myself.

4min and 9 seconds

Albert Camus

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: September 26, 2010, 04:42:21 am »
4min and 9 seconds
I looked at that part of the video again and it still looks to me like he's enjoying the fermented meat, and when I first saw the video it actually surprised me a bit how much he seemed to chew and enjoy the meat rather than bolting it or holding his nose or the like, but I quickly realized that he's been eating it a long time and at this point may even prefer its taste to that of fresh raw meat. Do you have any actual evidence that he doesn't like high meat?
« Last Edit: September 26, 2010, 05:21:50 am by PaleoPhil »
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #193 on: October 12, 2010, 08:22:49 am »
Time for another update.

As mentioned elsewhere I've gone back to an intermittent fasting feeding schedule; I eat a big meal at some point between 12PM and 3PM and have a smaller, but still filling, meal at dinner time 6PM-8PM. On average I'm getting about 18 hours of fasting in each day with a minimum of 16.
I've found this changed has helped me immensely. I'm much more focused all day and have very little drop to my energy when I eat my big meal. I'm constantly warm as well which is nice (I was getting cold hands as I would get closer to lunchtime before). Lastly my Tinea is getting better again. For a while it was getting worse but it's receding again. My gut feeling is the more frequent meals were impairing digestion which was resulting in the Candida having food (even if it was lean meat).

I had slackened a bit the past week on my exercise routine but hiked for about 5 miles on Saturday and I'm back with a vengeance today.
I jogged a mile and half this morning.
Did some ab exercises.
Began a push-up routine (below).
And had a good round of chin-ups, pull-ups, and dips tonight.
I feel worked over but good. Gonna get lots of sleep and keep the routine up. :)

Pavel Tsatsouline "Evil Russian" Push-up routine:
WEEK 1

Mon: 100% test, relative intensity (RI) 30% Set frequency (SF) 60 min
Tues: RI 50% SF 60 min
Wed: RI 60% SF 45 min
Thurs: RI 25% SF 60 min
Fri: RI 45% SF 30 min
Sat: RI 40% SF 60 min
Sun: RI 20% SF 90 min

WEEK 2

Mon: 100% test RI 35% SF 45min
Tues: RI 55% SF 20 min
Wed: RI 30% SF 15 min
Thurs: RI 65% SF 60min
Fri: RI 35% SF 45 min
Sat: RI 45% SF 60 min
Sun: RI 25% SF120 min

WEEK 3

Mon: 100% test 

I have my health back. Life is good. ;D
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: October 12, 2010, 08:42:00 am »

I had slackened a bit the past week on my exercise routine but hiked for about 5 miles on Saturday and I'm back with a vengeance today.
I jogged a mile and half this morning.
Did some ab exercises.
Began a push-up routine (below).
And had a good round of chin-ups, pull-ups, and dips tonight.
I feel worked over but good. Gonna get lots of sleep and keep the routine up. :)

If you can find a big hill or flight of stairs. Get a rock or something heavy and run up and down. It had been working wonders for me. Especially a natural incline steep hill in the woods.
 ;)

Edit: I will try to get a video up tomorrow.

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: October 12, 2010, 09:10:02 am »
I have my health back. Life is good. ;D

I so get that!  Very happy for you!! :)

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #196 on: October 14, 2010, 08:01:38 am »
I hurt.
This push-up routine gets to be brutal and next week will be that much more so (although I'm away at a seminar for part of it so will do the routine partially next week and fully perform that week's routine the week after). I definitely notice my chest is much more taught and my arms & forearms seem a bit bigger.

Monday: 25 push-ups max test and 14 sets of 8 reps (137 total).
Tuesday: 15 sets of 13 reps (195 total).
Today: 19 sets of 15 reps (285 total).
I also jogged and did chin-ups & pull-ups today.
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #197 on: October 14, 2010, 07:26:58 pm »
Today: 19 sets of 15 reps (285 total).
Pushed myself to do one more set to make it an even 300. ;D
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #198 on: October 16, 2010, 09:03:39 am »
Thursday: 13 sets of 7 (91 total)
Today: 29 sets of 12 (348 total) + 1 set of 2. I was so close, I wanted 350. ;D
Chin-ups and pull-ups tonight as well but in moderation as I'm beat.
I definitely see gains in muscle, particularly my triceps & shoulders and to a lesser degree my pecs. It'll be interesting to see the final results in muscle composition and exercise endurance by the end of the cycle.
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #199 on: October 17, 2010, 08:24:24 pm »
Yesterday's push-ups: 14 sets of 10 (140 total)
------------------------
Somebody mentioned beets, one of my favorite vegetables, on here the other day and luck would have it I saw some beautiful beets at the farmer's market yesterday. I picked up a couple so I could give them a shot and see how I did.
I coarsely grated a small beet (~1/4 cup) and sprinkled a dash of sea salt on the top to counterpoint the (relative) sweetness. The beet was sweet (but not cloyingly so like fruit is nowadays), very earthy, and very delicious. I did not have any immediate problems with the beet but after a couple minutes I got the faintest headache and a slight soreness to my throat. I also woke with much more soreness this morning than I should have given the lighter exercise yesterday (I was as sore as the morning after my 350 rep day).
All in all I think that I will be able to add occasional beets to my diet in the future but do not plan to do so in the near future. Beets are my favorite vegetable though so this is encouraging.

An interesting side note; The beet turned my urine pink. Beets never did this to me when eating any other way. I'm not sure if this means I need less of whatever the beet supplies or something else but I thought it was curious.
-Henry David Thoreau

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk