Author Topic: Shoes roundup  (Read 56885 times)

Offline Josh

• Chief
    • View Profile
Shoes roundup
« on: October 09, 2009, 04:24:12 am »
I'm going to attempt to summarise my personal thoughts so far on shoes for people who are looking at 'paleo lifestyle' and general health and good posture. I hope that people will add their thoughts.

Before I begin, I should mention that I have mortons foot structure which causes my feet to 'lean' inwards and causes knock on problems throughout the whole body. It is well worth checking to see if you have this. There is a link to diagnose and deal with the problem here http://www.triggerpointbook.com/mortons.htm

I always knew I had broad feet, but since starting to wear wide 'barefoot' type shoes I have discovered that my feet are in fact naturally very wide and they have been held compressed for years by too narrow shoes. It is my hope that eventually the structure will improve and I'll be able to walk barefoot without problems.

There are (at least) 2 types of shoes that I feel may be of interest to people here:

Active footwear
I'm using this category for the type of shoe that attempts to replicate walking barefoot on a slightly uneven surface. They have a pad widget thing in the heel which causes an 'uneven' impact of the heel and which makes the whole foot roll as you step, placing the heel down first and rolling to the toes. It is often sold as 'toning the thighs' which it might well do, but for me the most interesting aspect is that they create a rolling motion walking which stretches the whole skeletal system, and stretches and exercises various muscle groups. Also they claim that problems are caused by walking on concrete all the time causing shocks along the spine and that these shoes avoid the problem.

Shoes in this category: MBT, Skechers 'shape ups', RYN footwear.

MBT

these are the only shoes I have owned. I had them for 3 years of solid use before they gave out. When walking in them I felt spinal muscles in my lumbar region stretching and articulating and they stretched my hamstrings. They also threw problems in my neck into focus. My analogy is that the body is like a whip...if one part of the whip straightens i.e. the femoral muscles lengthen and the legs straighten, the whip is cracked and the upper body attempts to straighten and improve posture. So it's good to improve one part, but it will force you to look at other parts of the body.

I knew about trigger point therapy at this time and was working out trigger points in muscles that needed stretching.

Potential advantages Avoiding the repetitive motion of walking on a flat surface, Avoiding putative problems with the impact of walking on concrete, stretching the muscular and skeletal system, maybe simulates one of the natural modes of walking. My pair were extremely hard wearing. They lasted for 3 years of serious use including a stint as running shoes, building services work shoes and more or less constant street wear. So despite the price tag in a sense they were good value. However people are saying the new ones are not as well made so look into this if you consider them.

Potential disadvantages I've increasingly come to think that this rolling motion is not the be all and end all of 'natural walking'. A lot of the videos of the savannah show it as being quite flat hard ground. More on this later. So the rolling motion may in itself create a repetitive stress.

Add to this the fact that the shoe is not the same as natural walking, so the devil is in the details...if part of the movement is slightly wrong it might cause an unnatural stress on some structure in the body.

Also the majority of people have some postural problem or other caused by trigger points holding muscles shortened, other injuries etc. If they don't know how to treat themself in other ways, I feel the shoes may exaggerate problems and cause potentially serious discomfort and harm over time.

The shoes are also designed to be worn tight to stay on. I don't like this as I feel strongly now that this harms the feet. My feet are very wide as I said so YMMV, but I think MBT acknowledge that they are tight.

Cost...they're bloody expensive

Summary - Despite a long list of disadvantages I feel they might be worth considering if you've got the money as a second pair of shoes to wear some of the time. I'm not sure about the tightness thing...someone with narrow feet might be ok, but they will fuck up broad feet more than normal shoes.

If this problem could be somehow removed I think it would be good for the body to go through this range of motion some of the time, and it would cut down potential impact problems from concrete which would be a good way of hedging bets.

Skechers active summary
I haven't tried a pair of these, but would like to try these on if I see them. They potentially have some of the advantages and disadvantages of MBT, but I don't think they have the same level of research so that could be a concern, and no doubt will not be as hard wearing. Word on the web is that they're more comfortable so maybe they're broader. They're also cheaper, so if they fit well I might get one as a second pair of shoes, however I would definitely not wear them all the time.

RYN active summary
 I can't find out what they claim for these as the site's down, but they look similar to the other two. Again might be worth a try if they're comfortable but proceed with caution.

Part 2 coming next time...

In the meantime check out the feet on this. It's half monkey but still food for thought.

http://blogs.nationalgeographic.com/blogs/news/chiefeditor/earliest-human-ancestor-picture.jpg

« Last Edit: October 09, 2009, 04:43:32 am by Josh »

Offline Josh

• Chief
    • View Profile
Re: Shoes roundup
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2009, 04:49:03 am »
Actually this might belong in health dunno...maybe move it if you need to

Offline phatdave

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2009, 07:00:26 am »
I've been wearing a pair of vivo barefoot terra plana shoes for about 4 months and absolutely love them, in fact the idea of wearing think soled trainers again or something with any sole really doesnt appeal. I'm also the first to admit that I thought they were a bit gimmicky at first, the only down side is living in a concrete city, because after all whatever the footwear its always going to be a battle to find the 'perfect' scenario.

ps. im impressed with all your technical jargon josh! btw, way exactly is an MBT shoe.......of course i could just google :)

pps. seriously love these shoes i have, but word to anyone it takes a little while to get used to them, just as walking around on concrete all the time barefoot probably would...  can't wait to get back out the the countryside!! :D

Offline yon yonson

• Global Moderator
  • Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2009, 07:41:26 am »
dave, i've had vivo barefoots for about a year now and am also thoroughly pleased. it feels like im wearing blocks on my feet if i wear any other shoes now. highly recommended

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2009, 09:45:58 am »
Yup, I have them too and am well pleased. They are expensive but worth it for me, especially since they wear much slower than Nike running shoes, Rockport shoes, etc.

I haven't tried the Vibram shoes yet. Their early styles that were available at the time I bought the Vivos were just too weird looking. Has anyone tried both that might offer comparison comments?
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline Josh

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2009, 06:58:05 pm »
Hah...you have neatly preempted part 2. I bought some vivo barefoot couple of days ago which inspired this post. So I guess I'm preaching to the choir.

Barefoot shoes
I'm using this to mean shoes with a thin sole that are as close to walking barefoot as possible.
Shoes in this category: Kung-fu shoes, Vivo barefoot, Vibram 5 fingers, Sandals, Slip ons

I've become increasingly convinced that barefoot type shoes are the best option even on concrete. The following article goes into it well...when your feet strike the ground the soft pad in your sole absorbs the shock.http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/moslive/article-1170253/The-painful-truth-trainers-Are-expensive-running-shoes-waste-money.html

I've been wearing a cheap pair of British Knights slip ons for 6 months and my feet have got used to no padding. It feels really good. I don't think it's perfect to be walking on flat, hard concrete all the time, but I think MBT's horror stories about shocks up the spine are exaggerated. It feels subjectively ok to have that gentle shock. So there may be some rsi's or long term problems from the concrete, but I feel for me it is the best compromise. When I wear shoes with any heel or padding now it feels that my natural posture is distorted, and that the cushioning is squashing my feet unnaturally. To me these problems seem more real than putative problems from the concrete. Also as I said, it looks like savannah ground is fairly flat and compressed so not that extreme difference.

Kung fu shoes
Following Kyle's tip, I had a look into kung fu shoes and ended up with some feiyue high top shoes.

Advantages This brand seem very well made, and I feel that they would last well. They are also economical as they were £19 (uk). The rubber sole is flexible and allows you to feel the floor. They have the right amount of grip for walking about town. They look good if you're into bohemian fashion or converse shoes at all.

Disadvantages These shoes are canvas so will let in the rain. Ok for running, but not great for rainy days in town. They're not smart shoes obviously. I couldn't wear them as even the 12s are too narrow.

Summary These seem like excellent shoes. I would definitely wear them if they fit me for running and casual use. I would say try them on though as they are probably narrow even for average westeners. Other brands may be worth considering as well.

Rope soled tai chi slippers - these seem excellent for wearing indoors, but again I had a problem with the size.

Vivo Barefoot
These shoes are designed to be close to barefoot, and have a puncture resistant sole. They also use natural dyes.

Advantages They appear to be very well made, and I think they will last out well. They're extremely comfortable. They're modelled to the shape of a spread out foot so no squashing. They can be smart enough to wear for most occasions, office work etc and trainers are also available. The cheapest ones are £80 which compares well with normal well made shoes, although I found that only the boots suited my feet. Models can be waterproof or have air holes e.g. trainers.

Disadvantages Mainly cost really. I think they're good value, but would prefer to spend less for a pair of running shoes to abuse. However I suppose serious running shoes are a similar price. General disadvantages of barefoot shoes. My boots are somewhat sweatier than canvas shoes but this is natural.

Summary Very good option for most purposes.

Vibram 5 fingers
These are designed with individual toes and have a vibram puncture resistant sole. Untried, but potential disadvantages might be the shapes not right for everyones foot..it's an average foot. Also, they are fully artificial materials which I don't really like. I just like natural for feel.

Sandals
Old skool sandals i.e. not the trainer type have a thin sole. I haven't tried these but they might be a good option for some. They seem good for allowing the foot to spread. Potential disadvantages are cold if you don't live in a warm climate, not considered smart or fashionable, not good for fighting.

Native running sandals seem worth a look e.g. http://barefootted.com/shop/

Cheap canvas shoes are also worth considering if you can get a pair to fit. I would make sure they have thin soles and no padding though as they vary. These do not last long though.

Offline SkinnyDevil

• Chief
  • "...embrace your fear..."
    • View Profile
    • Skinny Devil Music Lab
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2009, 08:53:34 pm »
1) I don't wear shoes in the house or in the yard.

2) I wear flip-flops (as thin & light as possible) until there is snow on the ground, regardless of how cold it is outside. I often take these off when I get to where ever it is I'm going.

3) Exceptions are if I take my lady dancing or am playing a gig that calls for something more formal, in which case I have a pair of cool black leather boots and a pair of soft-soled wing-tips.

No shoes are the best shoes.
-
--
David M. McLean
Skinny Devil Music Lab
http://www.skinnydevil.com

Offline pfw

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2009, 09:17:16 pm »
I'm currently wearing mocassins, which you can order from various outlets online. They still make the leather variety (no rubber on the bottom, just leather and a little bit of padding, ~1/8in). ~$35 for a pair, which were a bit narrow at first but have widened over time. I suspect this is a ripoff, as the shoe is so incredibly basic that the only thing they could be charging for is the novelty. I think I'll make my own when these wear out and save some cash.

I had to make a compromise between barefoot and work, and these seem to do the job. They don't look hugely out of the ordinary but since they're nothing but a little bit of leather wrapping your foot, they still let you walk naturally.

Offline Josh

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2009, 04:10:45 pm »
Good stuff at barefootrunner.com, e.g. water shoes

http://www.barefootrunner.com/2009/03/review-wateraqua-shoes/

Offline SkinnyDevil

• Chief
  • "...embrace your fear..."
    • View Profile
    • Skinny Devil Music Lab
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2009, 08:56:17 pm »
What color are the moccasins?
-
--
David M. McLean
Skinny Devil Music Lab
http://www.skinnydevil.com

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2009, 09:40:11 pm »
Which moccasins were they? $35 is cheap for leather moccasins. I have a cheap pair myself, but they come off too easily and are not sufficiently water resistant to be used anywhere other than around the house. Real moccasins that cover the ankle would solve those problems, but tend to be expensive and might be a bit of a pain to put on and take off, especially if they require tying laces.

Ah, this site has what I was looking for -- reviews of the Vivo and Vibram and rates the Vivo slightly higher (6 stars vs. 5):
http://www.barefootrunner.com/2009/03/review-terra-plana-vivobarefoot-aqua/
http://www.barefootrunner.com/2009/03/review-vibram-fivefingers-classic/
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele

Offline pfw

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2009, 09:24:42 pm »
The moccasins are "Minnetonka", which must be some sweatshop somewhere because there's a huge number of online stores selling them.

http://www.minnetonka-by-mail.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=231 are what I bought. I cut off the frills because, well, they're frills for god's sake, and have been wearing them everywhere. My wife got a pair and runs in them. (she left the frills on)

IF you buy a pair of these you'll know what I'm talking about re: ripoff. This is literally a leather footwrap with about 1/8" of foam in the bottom. I could easily replicate the cuts necessary. I think you can buy a side of leather for around $75, which is about 20 sq ft. Make three pairs of moccasins out of it and you come out ahead.

If you don't want to take the time to do that, though, the ones I linked are actually pretty nice.

Offline Roselene

• Deer Hunter
    • View Profile
    • I like We Want 2 Live.
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2009, 05:50:54 am »
    I like acupressure sandals, or walking on dry river rocks.

Offline Josh

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2009, 06:11:21 am »

IF you buy a pair of these you'll know what I'm talking about re: ripoff. This is literally a leather footwrap with about 1/8" of foam in the bottom. I could easily replicate the cuts necessary. I think you can buy a side of leather for around $75, which is about 20 sq ft. Make three pairs of moccasins out of it and you come out ahead.

If you don't want to take the time to do that, though, the ones I linked are actually pretty nice.

The barefoot runner guy makes soles out of vibram for his sandals. I was thinking of a mocassin type thing with a vibram sole and a toggle tie. Kind of like an aqua shoe but made of leather. I'll try when I have time.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2009, 10:29:47 pm »
There's another new barefoot-style shoe out that Barefoot Ted likes, though it's still in development and not sold many places yet--the Feelmax line of shoes. Barefoot Ted thinks the Feelmax Niesa in particular has very good potential.
Feelmax
http://www.feelmax.com/index.php?lang=en

"According to Christopher McDougall, author of "Born to Run," the real danger to our feet is over-protecting them. We allow our feet to get weak, and then we wonder why they ache. Feet are like any other part of the body -- the more you challenge them, the stronger they'll get. And the stronger they are, the better they'll feel.

Whenever the question comes up about whether everyone is suited for a Feelmax shoe, I'd say, 'of course! Your foot will tell you what to do. Your foot knows more than any doctor. When it's time for a rest, your foot will tell you. Listen to your feet, and you'll be fine. The reason we have problems is because we muffle our feet -- we bury them in so much cushioning and padding that they can't get in touch with the world, or with us." - Christopher McDougall

Last Updated ( Tuesday, 08 September 2009 14:49 )

Feelmax USA retailer: Outdoor Tactical
http://outdoortactical.com/Feelmax.html
Feelmax footwear is the lightest footwear on the market - each shoe weighs less than 100 grams. The shoes fit almost as tightly as a sock, which makes them extremely comfortable to wear. The shaping of the human foot and the consequent development of our way of walking took approximately four million years. Over the last few millennia, we have restricted th eoperation of our feet and departed from our atural way of walking by wearing shoes. The Finnish company Feelmax Oy has enabled a return to the natural by developing the unique Feelmaxshoes - pioneers of a new footwear culture - which simulate walking barefoot.

The purpose of Feelmax footwear is to promote the positive effects of being barefoot on the operation and control of the feet, and consequently the whole body.

Running in Seattle with FeelMax Shoes
http://barefootted.com/2009/01/running-in-seattle-with-feelmax-shoes.html

I am testing a new version that will be released in Europe in June this year. I have not tried the earlier FeelMax shoes.

The new version name is NIESA and I believe it has been improved.

So far, I am very impressed with the sole. The feel is superb...as close to barefoot as I have experienced. The puncture protection is amazing. Sharp points do not go through. I took a very thin and sharp piece of metal and tried to push it through the sole with my hand on the other side. It did not go through, nor did my hand feel the sharp point.

On sizing, I am not sure what to say. Mine have a new velcro top piece that must help it fit better. Mine seem a little big even though they are the right size, yet a little big is not a problem. It allows my foot to really move like a foot inside. I would guess they run big, but I believe I am using a prototype.

These shoes feel like the finest pair of long lasting moccasins. Run through the woods. Feel the woods without puncture wounds.

I am very impressed with this shoe. I believe FeelMax is pushing the envelope with a design that works with cutting edge materials. Bravo FeelMax!

Barefoot Ted

Monday, January 26, 2009
HOWEVER, there is this caveat:
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello, Ted.
    You said:
    FeelMaxes don't force my foot at all...and I have a wide foot too.

I've just got some new Niesas that are more than long enough for me, but much too narrow at the wide part of the foot (by 2cm or so), so much so I'll probably sell them on as they are not comfortable.
    I bought these shoes largely on the basis of all the praise you wrote here about them.
    The sole is good and thin, but then why did they put in a spongey insole, and glue it at the toe so you can't even remove it cleanly? I agree with you that we want thin soles so why have they given us the best thin sole then added unwanted padding: these are shoes for people who don't want padding, right?
    If these things were fixed, I think I would like these shoes. As it is, yet another pair of uncomfortable shoes.

Thursday, August 27, 2009

Blogger Barefoot Ted said...

I have to say that the production model I received was a little too narrow for me too, and thus I can't wear them.

Jarno told me that they are going to make a wider version...we shall see.

BFT

Thursday, August 27, 2009

Anonymous said...

try this link for a size reference:
    http://www.feelmax.com/Kokotaulukko.pdf

Monday, August 31, 2009

Another good review:
Feelmax Niesa Black Sneaker
http://www.lovethoseshoes.com/cart/prod.asp?ProdID=3688

Feelmax are a barefooters dream! The Niesa Black Shoe features the classic Feelmax ultra thin 1mm special fabric sole, with a super light weight and flexible upper.

The Niesa Black Shoe is easy to slip into and allows the foot to sit snugly into the design like a sock. Thanks to the extremely thin sole, the sense of feeling barefoot in the boot remains as natural as possible. Barefooting in Feelmax enables the wearer to sense changes in the ground easily and connect to the environment surrounding them. Perfect for outdoor activities, yoga, pilates and everyday use.

Fitting Guide : We think that the Feelmax are true to size so go with your normal size. They are meant to fit snugly like a sock to achieve maximum barefoot benefits!

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2009, 03:29:42 am »
Well, if your walking on cement or hard surfaces you need cushion to avoid knee joint pain and injuries. Soft surfaces don't need padding or footwear unless its too cold. With all the cement, I have been doing best wearing shoes like a type new balances. If there was nothing but grass and dirt I would wear shoes made out of animal skins.

Here's what kind of shoe I did the best with so far. Not it exactly but close to it...To each his own though, evryone's foot is different.

http://www.zappos.com/n/p/p/7497757/c/3.html

http://www.housershoes.com/products/26026/shoe.html

http://www.finishline.com/store/catalog/product.jsp?sourceid=shopping&productId=prod634326&NEW%20BALANCE&cid=48&SID=509c287c01c8fb5d73ccfde5b2f73ff7834a33d0

I had a pair of the last link. Exactly it! I think! Awesome shoe!

Offline Michael

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2009, 05:07:24 am »
There's another new barefoot-style shoe out that Barefoot Ted likes, though it's still in development and not sold many places yet--the Feelmax line of shoes. Barefoot Ted thinks the Feelmax Niesa in particular has very good potential.

Hi Phil,

In line with my recent interest in barefoot running (as discussed elsewhere) and following my reading of Born To Run, I have a growing collection of 'minimalist' shoes.  I have a pair of Vibram Fivefinger KSOs, a pair of Vivo Barefoot Lesotho's, some cheap water shoes, a pair of tai chi shoes AND my new pair of Feelmax Niesas!

They all have their individual strengths and weaknesses.  The natural toe spread offered by the KSOs is great and these would be my running shoe of choice.  The Niesas, I am finding the most sensitive to the ground and the 1mm sole is truly amazing.  I am using these for walking whilst still in my early stages of building up my foot strength after years of normal restrictive footwear.  Like some reviewers, I do find that the Niesa's are indeed too narrow in the toebox and are restricting my toe spread.  In addition to being a little uncomfortable, I would expect this to be potentially damaging to posture and running technique.  The Vivo Barefoots and tai chi shoes I would not consider serious 'barefoot' shoes but provide a good balance in being a huge improvement over ordinary shoes in this respect whilst also offering a fashionable look that won't draw unwanted attention.  The lesotho, particularly, can even be worn as a work shoe in the office!  The water shoes, although by far the cheapest at around £10, are perhaps the best overall in that the sole is sufficiently thin, sensitive and flexible, the fit sufficiently wide and the look acceptable (although a little slipper-like).

That's my own experiences anyway.  I hope helpful to some!
1. When offered something that is too good to be true. It is.
2. Greed and fear are poor states of mind in which to make decisions; like shopping at the supermarket when you are hungry.
3. Exponential growth is mathematically unsustainable.

Offline wodgina

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Opportunistic Carnivore
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2009, 07:10:24 am »
Well, if your walking on cement or hard surfaces you need cushion to avoid knee joint pain and injuries. Soft surfaces don't need padding or footwear unless its too cold. With all the cement, I have been doing best wearing shoes like a type new balances. If there was nothing but grass and dirt I would wear shoes made out of animal skins.

Most bare foot runners prefer hard surfaces like tarmac, concrete. There is sufficient cushioning when running on hard surfaces if you know how to run correctly or have grown up running shoeless.
“Integrity has no need of rules.”

Albert Camus

Offline Michael

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2009, 07:36:49 am »
Most bare foot runners prefer hard surfaces like tarmac, concrete. There is sufficient cushioning when running on hard surfaces if you know how to run correctly or have grown up running shoeless.

I agree.  Dried compacted mud can be just as hard as concrete such as that which haile gebrselassie ran 10 miles to school and back on each day.  It's not the surface that's important.  It's the running technique, body posture and footwear (or lack thereof).
2. Greed and fear are poor states of mind in which to make decisions; like shopping at the supermarket when you are hungry.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2009, 10:27:44 pm »
Yes, I was surprised at how soft and pleasant standard asphalt is to run on. Concrete is less so, but still quite doable. The biggest problem in my area is that people smash bottles onto the streets for some reason, and the broken glass accumulates in the gutters and on the sidewalks.

Thanks for the useful review, Michael. It is for the reasons you cited that Vivo Barefoots are currently my main shoe. They are sufficiently "normal" looking that I wear them to work every day and I don't do a lot of running--mostly walking--so they are sufficient for my modest exercising needs. I do like the sound of the thinner Niesa soles, however, and am hoping that their future models will be better designed. The current styles are a bit too casual looking, but I think I could get away with wearing black or brown ones at work without too much comment.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2009, 10:34:04 pm by PaleoPhil »

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2009, 04:04:41 am »
I agree.  Dried compacted mud can be just as hard as concrete
i don't think so, not unless frozen maybe, you can hammer a nail through that mud, not croncrete

Offline Michael

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2009, 01:58:58 am »
i don't think so, not unless frozen maybe, you can hammer a nail through that mud, not croncrete

But, for the purposes of which we're talking - foot impact and resultant bodily vibrational shock during walking/running - I think the degree of hardness between the two materials is comparative.

Yes, I was surprised at how soft and pleasant standard asphalt is to run on. Concrete is less so, but still quite doable. The biggest problem in my area is that people smash bottles onto the streets for some reason, and the broken glass accumulates in the gutters and on the sidewalks.

Yes, it's a real problem everywhere unfortunately.  In addition to pet excrement I might add!  For these reasons, I intend only going native barefoot in the wilds.

Thanks for the useful review, Michael. It is for the reasons you cited that Vivo Barefoots are currently my main shoe. They are sufficiently "normal" looking that I wear them to work every day and I don't do a lot of running--mostly walking--so they are sufficient for my modest exercising needs. I do like the sound of the thinner Niesa soles, however, and am hoping that their future models will be better designed. The current styles are a bit too casual looking, but I think I could get away with wearing black or brown ones at work without too much comment.

You're welcome.  The current Niesas are too casual for work.  They do look like trainers (sneakers) when worn.  I, too, hope they add and improve their range.  I'm positive they will do so in the future.  The sole is definitely a good start!  I also walk far more than run and prefer the Niesas by a mile as an exercise shoe compared to the Vivo Barefoots which I wear purely for aesthetic reasons.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2009, 08:26:57 am »
Are there any barefoot-style boots or shoes that have good traction on snow and ice? One of the downsides to Vivo Barefoots, water shoes and kayak boots is that it's fairly slippery to walk in them on ice and snow.

Offline Josh

• Chief
    • View Profile
Soft Star shoes?
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2010, 06:07:08 am »
Anyone tried soft star shoes, esp the 'run amok' model for running?

http://www.softstarshoes.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=43&aff=75270

They look pretty nice.

Offline lacsonjake17

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2010, 01:51:57 am »
I am planning to buy some water shoes, it looks like a good collection. It is not ordinary shoes, so I am going to collect some fairs.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk