Author Topic: Sully's Journal  (Read 138690 times)

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Sully's Journal
« Reply #100 on: September 12, 2010, 07:42:08 am »
You're just guessing and coming up with new guesses when I refute your old ones. I see you ignored the fact that wolves can't see green. I'm sorry, but I'm not at all convinced by your claim that red-green color blindness is a hindrance to hunting. Let me know if you come across evidence to support what you're saying.

Is it a hindrance to hunt with green-red colorblindness? I don't know. I am not red/green color blind.

But, you can not hunt parrots, that's for sure. HA I AM OBVIOUSLY JOKING (I made parrots red, can you tell?)

Here I go clear on my thoughts, whether you disagree with me or not, that's fine by me...

-Humans can see *certain* things better than canines. Every animal/person is different, and for their own reasons.

-I like to see all the colors I can currently see. I can see wild plants and wild animals very well.

I DON"T KNOW IF ITS HARDER FOR HUMANS TO HUNT WITH RED-GREEN COLOR BLINDNESS.

You have problems with see red and green. That may or may not be an adaption for humans to survive better in certain places on the earth.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 12, 2010, 07:49:06 am »
Heh, heh, I can certainly agree with all of that, though I don't think of my color blindness as "problems," probably because I've always had it and it seems natural to me, and it was neat to find out that scientists think it was actually an advantage for hunters. I think it's also more positive for me to think of it as an advantage rather than a problem.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 12, 2010, 07:58:55 am »
Heh, heh, I can certainly agree with all of that, though I don't think of my color blindness as "problems," probably because I've always had it and it seems natural to me, and it was neat to find out that scientists think it was actually an advantage for hunters. I think it's also more positive for me to think of it as an advantage rather than a problem.
Heh yeah. Whether people say its good or bad, you grown to live with it. And feel it is normal. Its prob like saying is brown skin better than tan skin. Or curly hair better than straight. blue or brown eyes. They all have there advantages and disadvantages in certain geographical regions in the world.

I have a little bow in my legs, is it not best? I don't know, but I live with it. That's another interesting topic.
I put my ankles together and my knees are separated by about a half an inch. My niece has bad bow legs. I blame it on putting them in these things at an early age
http://secret-agent-josephine.com/blog/images/saucer-monster.gif

horrible, just like pacifiers

Although, nutrition affects the bow legs too I think.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 12, 2010, 08:07:04 am »
I have a little bow in my legs, is it not best? I don't not, but I live with it. That's another interesting topic.
I put my ankles together and my knees are separated by about a half an inch. My niece has bad bow legs. I blame it on putting them in these things at an early age
http://secret-agent-josephine.com/blog/images/saucer-monster.gif

horrible, just like pacifiers
My father has mildly bowed legs--though probably more bowed than yours based on your images--though those saucer things luckily hadn't been invented yet in his youth. Bowed legs have also been connected with deficiencies in one or more of zinc, vitamin D, and magnesium (www.ctds.info/magnesium.html, http://www.ctds.info/zinc1.html).
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 12, 2010, 08:13:27 am »
I also noticed that wild raspberries are smaller than domestic ones, and I found the wild ones to be less sweet and more tart than domestic ones, but that could be because of the soil. What about you?

Wild Maine blueberries are also less sweet than domestic ones, but I actually prefer the taste of the wild ones and they don't add a layer of scummy film to my teeth and white gunk along the gumline like domestic fruits do.

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: September 12, 2010, 09:10:21 am »
I also noticed that wild raspberries are smaller than domestic ones, and I found the wild ones to be less sweet and more tart than domestic ones, but that could be because of the soil. What about you?

Wild Maine blueberries are also less sweet than domestic ones, but I actually prefer the taste of the wild ones and they don't add a layer of scummy film to my teeth and white gunk along the gumline like domestic fruits do.
Yeah, definitely here too. The average wild raspberry is not as sweet or large as domesticated ones no matter the soil here in wisconsin.

The variable is human involvement, which can include messing with the soil. A neighbor has domesticated red raspberries in her yard and a few feet away wild black raspberries grow. Its about genetics mostly.

Fruit has been modified genetically through selective breeding. And faster ways with modern technology of who knows what methods.

Wild grapes vs domesticated grapes are even a bigger difference than wild vs dom. raspberries. Really big difference when it comes to grapes.

People can now make their fruit bigger, sweeter, sourer, smaller, change seed size, change seed amount. Change color, make hybrids, etc. In a very short period of time.

Fruit changes naturally in nature of course, over much longer periods of time. Its crazy how much they changed things in the past 100 years or even 50 years. Even in the past decade.

This is not just with fruit, vegetables, and animals too.

Which is why I like to get less domesticated grass fed bison (still has genes from wild ancestors) over the much domesticated grass fed cow. Even if frozen I prefer bison over beef.

Can't argue with native wild raw foods :)

www.wildfoods.weebly.com my makeshift website, that is barely a website

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: September 12, 2010, 09:12:57 am »
Soil does definitely effects fruit though. But if dom. rasp. seeds are put in the same soil as wild rasp. seeds. The difference will still be there.

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: September 12, 2010, 09:28:07 am »
got this real quick, from my kitchen :)

Don't be confused by champagne grapes in the store

http://images.quickblogcast.com/115838-108114/P1050280x.JPG

they are breed to be small, and are very sweet, and no where near the taste of wild grapes, and they have virtually no seeds too

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: September 12, 2010, 09:38:43 am »
Yeah, I noticed that too. I tried champagne grapes and they were sickeningly sweet and even gave me some nausea, which surprised me. They affect me worse than regular grapes. I ended up throwing most of them out, which was a shame because they were expensive.

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: September 20, 2010, 04:01:02 am »
ohhhh plaeo spear!  8) simple yet effective

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8pe9StIxcw

was in a chlorinated pool yesterday for a while, messed me up a bit

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: September 20, 2010, 04:05:08 am »
now that's a paleo exercise, tool making

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: September 25, 2010, 01:58:25 am »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJrFxS1yaZ4&feature=player_embedded

new bow, traded pellet gun for

hopefully getting some deer meat!

Offline Josh

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: September 25, 2010, 02:07:11 am »
Hunting with a bow, brilliant. Wish there was something I could hunt with a bow.

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: September 25, 2010, 02:08:41 am »
you could do rabbits too

deer season is open for bow hunters now in Wisconsin

white tailed deer

Offline Josh

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: September 25, 2010, 03:27:50 am »
Yeh maybe. I'm not sure if it's even legal to hunt rabbits here. Doesn't stop that guy eating squirrels in London though.

Offline raw

• Mammoth Hunter
  • country chickens and lambs and wild bugs
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: September 25, 2010, 03:41:48 am »
"new bow, traded pellet gun for"
cool!! you can hunt all year round in my place. :)
bugs or country chickens

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: September 25, 2010, 04:36:16 am »
Josh, I though it was illegal to bow hunt any wild animal in the UK?

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: September 25, 2010, 04:42:35 am »
wisconsin is great for hunting

i mixed this music in

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-dLPTGnLXc

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #118 on: September 25, 2010, 05:21:13 am »
What's the draw weight Sully?
I picked up this recurve for my birthday last month but haven't had much chance to practice with it. Mine's a 50 pound draw weight. :)
https://www.facebook.com/djr1981
As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness.
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline Josh

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: September 25, 2010, 05:47:10 am »
I don't know the exact rules, but most huntings illegal unless it's controlling vermin, culling, or like pheasant shooting where they raise the birds.

There's one guy who's written a book who claims to have eaten squirrels and pigeons in London though.

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: September 25, 2010, 09:18:02 am »
I picked up this recurve for my birthday last month but haven't had much chance to practice with it. Mine's a 50 pound draw weight. :)
I have no idea what its set at. I just called my neighbor (teenage kid), he doesn't know. He said you can tighten and loosen it.
Beats me. I know nothing about bows.

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: September 25, 2010, 09:22:26 am »
Prob about 200lbs draw string is set at -\

I guess it just looks easy when I do it.

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: September 25, 2010, 09:23:46 am »
Is there a way I can find out? Besides taking it to a shop?

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: September 25, 2010, 09:27:47 am »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRHWux6rxZI

i need to go somewhere to test it i guess

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #124 on: September 25, 2010, 07:44:07 pm »
i need to go somewhere to test it i guess
Yeah, the video gives a good way to test it. Judging by the size I doubt it's much more than 65 pounds which is still plenty of force to take anything down you want.
FWIW my wife's uncle told me I should have gone with the 40 pound draw choice for my bow after I showed it to him. 40 pounds will drop a deer just fine. I bought the 50 because I figured it'll hold it's arrow elevation farther.
https://www.facebook.com/djr1981
As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness.
-Henry David Thoreau

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk