Author Topic: Sully's Journal  (Read 138693 times)

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Sully's Journal
« Reply #150 on: June 05, 2011, 07:32:08 am »
Interesting video. You look very fit and trim!!
Thank you. :)

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: June 05, 2011, 08:54:28 am »
Sully, I think you mean "re-edited," instead of "redited."
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: June 05, 2011, 05:02:43 pm »
great video, sully!!  :)

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: June 06, 2011, 08:12:57 am »

also, on that same frame, it reads "aka durianriders", but i think you want 'durianrider'.

Offline zeno

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: June 06, 2011, 09:57:48 am »
Hey Sully,

In regard to that goose you caught with your hands: were you concerned about the diet of the goose and the effect on the animal?

Here in Reno, Nevada there is a huge goose, duck, and loon population and I have been thinking about capturing one to eat. My only concern is the animal's diet; the geese and duck here are fed bread and scraps by humans and they could have been eating garbage for all I know. Should this be a concern? Should animals living in close contact with humans be avoided entirely?

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: June 06, 2011, 11:01:19 am »
also, on that same frame, it reads "aka durianriders", but i think you want 'durianrider'.
Harley had to use "durianriders" as his handle on Youtube because someone else was already using "durianrider."
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: June 06, 2011, 12:36:27 pm »
Hey Sully,

In regard to that goose you caught with your hands: were you concerned about the diet of the goose and the effect on the animal?

Here in Reno, Nevada there is a huge goose, duck, and loon population and I have been thinking about capturing one to eat. My only concern is the animal's diet; the geese and duck here are fed bread and scraps by humans and they could have been eating garbage for all I know. Should this be a concern? Should animals living in close contact with humans be avoided entirely?
No I am not concerned. Unless bread was fed in excess. But in my case the geese were fed very little to none. I saw the geese grazing on grasses maybe eating bugs. The fat was a yellowish color. Even if fed a little bread they still get mainly wild food, unless people feed loads evryday. I would be more concerned with meats in the store.

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: June 06, 2011, 12:37:01 pm »
Oh yeah, thanks for the correction, I was wondering how to spell taht out.

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: June 06, 2011, 12:39:38 pm »
Hey Sully,

there is a concern though. Just way out the cincerns and see if it is wortyh it. In my case there was little concern. Not so in other cases with urban wild animals

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: June 06, 2011, 12:40:00 pm »

Offline zeno

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: June 23, 2011, 03:14:02 am »
So Sully, what you have you been up to since you have returned from the farm in Oregon? Are you planning to attend college in the fall?

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: September 18, 2011, 10:52:24 am »
So Sully, what you have you been up to since you have returned from the farm in Oregon? Are you planning to attend college in the fall?
Hey man! Sorry I haven't been able to reply soon as I can. First time I checked this in a while.

Well just working part time and deciding what to do (looking for a higher paying job in the process, possibly security). Want to save money and eventually possibly have a farm of my own. Saveing money is pretty easy for me since I only buy food pretty much. Hanging out with family and friends. Living simple and good. Living with family splitting the rent so we are all pretty set paying cheap rent.

Went to the farmer's market today though. Nice old lady gave me some free apricot/peach cross bread. What a nice old lady. Bought some plums and apples from her. Check them out http://www.westonapples.com/

Also check out http://fer-ligrassfedbeef.com/.
I like Outpost ( a natural food store here), but Fer Li Grass fed beef is much better taste wise and is raised on a smaller scale than the grass fed beef supplied at Outpost and Health Hut (natural food stores here).

Have you or anyone else noticed the difference in local beef? I find the farm from the market here supply the best grass fed beef I had in Wisconsin. Best meat since I was in Oregon. The stuff in the health food store from a different company yet still in Wisconsin, definitely doesn't as good.

Here are a couple reasons why I think the stuff from the market taste better than the stuff form the store.

Store company
http://www.wisconsingrassfed.coop/grazing/

Market Company
http://fer-ligrassfedbeef.com/

-Market meat is frozen, all juices are held in while frozen preserving flavor. Store meat is fresh juices tend to leak out.

-Market meat is smaller scale, less or no shortcuts to raising their animals. Only sells at market. Other company sells at numerous health food stores and supplies a huge amounts to them. Larger scale, more shortcuts? Poorer quality?

-Feed, like I said, maybe shortcuts in raising their animals since they supply more meat. Better quality grasses or hey at Fer Li Farm might make the beef tastier.

-Different cow/beef breeds.

Note: Beef from the store stuff taste better when prepackaged by the company. Not ground or wrapped by the health food co-op.

I will do some more research possibly, but I am pretty sure it's one or more of the above.

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: September 18, 2011, 10:57:47 am »
Oh and the marrow is better at fer Li too haha. Soft just like butter. Dry like powder at the store hahaha

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: September 18, 2011, 12:30:40 pm »
Have you or anyone else noticed the difference in local beef?

I notice a difference in beef flavor from my favorite market to other markets. The good market gets its beef by the whole animal. If I get there at 7 a.m., when they open, I can see them break down the animals behind the counter. Other markets (including the local Whole Foods) gets beef in "market cuts" from a processing plant. This is just my opinion, and I can't give a logical reason for it, but I think this must have something to do with the superior flavor, since the ranches are in the same general area (so it can't be grass quality, can it?) I notice the same flavor difference in lamb, between markets that get the whole animal vs. markets that just get the market cuts.
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

Offline Josh

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: September 18, 2011, 01:34:42 pm »
Different breeds, different farm practises?

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: September 19, 2011, 03:08:14 am »
I have not idea about breeds. Both are ranchers' cooperatives - many individual ranches selling through one organization. One sells through Whole Foods. Now, Whole Foods says that they inspect their ranches and maintain full control over several factors at each ranch, performing inspections to assure compliance. And, Whole Foods is the market that has the lesser-flavored beef. I grew up in the 1950s, and I remember the full taste of raw beef back then. That's my standard that I look for now.
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: September 19, 2011, 05:10:53 pm »
Hmm, well it's hard to compare Whole Food's beef to local small food cooperatives. Whole foods here I believe does not supply grass fed beef from Wisconsin. And their Lamb is from New Zealand.

The local coop here has local beef, just as the farmer's market. But they are from 2 different companies though. Same practices in raising the beef supposedly, but different flavor. The market beef is frozen, but has a better flavor than than the Local food coop.

Remember, both beef I am talking about are both grass fed and from Wisconsin, the better of the 2 is smaller scale and only sold at markets.

Offline KD

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: September 19, 2011, 08:49:12 pm »
I think its been discussed on the forum here that the different kinds of marrow: buttery, liquidy, crumbly..are more to do with different parts of the bone. That my impression anyway. I know Slankers for instance has a wide variety of textures etc...

its also interesting that Slankers has a pretty visible profile of being all grass-fed but personally the meat (beef anyway) tastes way worse than most other grass-fed beef. Being frozen doesn't help but the local beef here which is required to be frozen always tastes way superior as does fresh WF beef. Their pork is pretty fantastic tho.

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: September 20, 2011, 12:18:12 am »
Oh and the marrow is better at fer Li too haha. Soft just like butter. Dry like powder at the store hahaha

Yes... As KD said, the soft marrow is from the narrower bones and the powdery marrow is from the wider bones. If you go to 'the store' and get the narrow bones it will also be soft like butter, and if you get the wide bones from 'fer Li' it will be dry and powdery.
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: September 20, 2011, 03:04:48 pm »
Yeah guys marrow does depend. I had marrow from the farm I worked on in Oregon, some was dry, some was like butter.

But the marrow bones I got form Fer Li, were all big in size (some very big) and were soft like butter. And were pre frozen. All their meat is pre-frozen but delicious. Miles, even I was surprised!

All sizes and I tried lots of marrow from the grass fed people that sell at the health food store here. All sizes were pretty dry. None as soft and delicious as Fer Li. I had lots of marrow from www.wisconsingrassfed.coop/grazing/ They were my main supplier fro Grass fed beef these past years until Fer Li came along.

It definitely must be how they raise it when it comes down to that. Remember, Fer Li is much smaller. They only sell at markets. Their beef is definitely the best grass fed beef I have had in Wisconsin here.

Edit: It's either how they raise it or beef breed.

Anyone check them both out and experiment http://fer-ligrassfedbeef.com/ vs www.wisconsingrassfed.coop/grazing/
Both grass fed both in Wisconsin
Tell me what you think.

I will call both tomorrow and see what their breeds are.

Offline raw

• Mammoth Hunter
  • country chickens and lambs and wild bugs
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: September 21, 2011, 01:51:12 pm »
I'd like to know that too Sully. I like small cows with horns on them. I see some cows in USA look mental patient, even they are raised on grass, 'cause the usually cut the horns and huge body mass. I don't like that type. I also wonder, if I can get a mommy cow with a little calf with it. So I can buy a cow family to raise for some milk.
bugs or country chickens

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: October 12, 2011, 03:03:58 pm »
http://wildfoods.weebly.com/index.html

Been editing my website. Please check it out and let me know if you have some ideas. Heading to sleep after a snack of raw liver haha

Offline Löwenherz

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: October 12, 2011, 06:01:21 pm »
http://wildfoods.weebly.com/index.html

Been editing my website. Please check it out and let me know if you have some ideas. Heading to sleep after a snack of raw liver haha

Nice website!

Sully, how many carbs do you eat nowadays? If I remember correctly you followed a zc diet in the past (?).

Löwenherz

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #173 on: October 12, 2011, 11:49:20 pm »
Been editing my website. Please check it out and let me know if you have some ideas.

Liver is the best food before sleep, IME.

I'll go to your site now. Thanks for updating here. I haven't been there in a long time. Looking forward to the new parts.
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: October 13, 2011, 02:59:10 pm »
Nice website!

Sully, how many carbs do you eat nowadays? If I remember correctly you followed a zc diet in the past (?).

Löwenherz
Hey there thanks! :) , yeah I tried it out a few times (not for too long though). I don't eat much carbs sometimes however. I kind of do only animal foods off and on lately. Today and yesterday I just ate meat/organs and fat, I was hungry today at work (no red meat with me, my staple food,) so I got some canned salmon ( had skin and bones, gave me a headache, dry, too much salt, over cooked too of course haah). I noticed sometimes chicken does that. Red meat is my go to food. Never eat white meat unless i have too.  just do so much better with red meat haha I noticed I do pretty well with sour apples, berries etc for fruit.  Came home and ate some beef though with some lime squirted on it, feel much better actually now after the beef an lime haha I noticed I crave sour sometimes, not sweet things. What's behind this  sour craving?

yeah rawzi, I have been trying to update it a bit. Let me know if you have any ideas. ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk