Author Topic: Epilepsy still coming  (Read 8862 times)

Offline Dwight

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
Epilepsy still coming
« on: March 24, 2010, 04:06:17 am »
Partly cause I am up late often and playing World of Warcraft. Am I too dependent on this diet to do miracles or am I just not doing it right?

Because my mother is rather skeptical about me consuming raw beef, I do it in secret. Raw fish on the other hand, I can consume it freely.

I hardly take my medication. I'm not 100% raw but I do my best to consume raw fish. Normally I would have 3 meals of cooked junk but I try to slot in a raw cuisine now and then in secret.

At the moment, I'm not having any problems with grain-fed beef. Just a teeny weeny bit, sort of like a cramp, in my abdomen, no problems. 

Would my best bet to be to avoid cooked food as much as possible and consume more raw?

Also, I still smoke. 16 sticks or so daily. I hardly drink alcohol now.

Offline KD

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Epilepsy still coming
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 04:17:13 am »
I think as long as you feel you are progessing with your eating goals I would just continue cleaning up your diet and lifestyle gradually.

However, if you are still smoking and drinking and consuming cooked 'crap' as you say I would stick with you medication as well, that kind of internal work generally doesn't get done well after more basic detox, which is going to at least require time AFTER getting rid of the over toxic crap - slowly restricting types of cooked foods to basic paleo foods or simple grains, if not going 100% raw. Just my opinion.

Offline Dwight

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2010, 04:22:15 am »
^_^ noted!

Offline Paleo Donk

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2010, 04:45:14 am »
Fat percentage is very important for epileptics and needs to be at least 70% of calories. I would suggest getting them all from animal sources.

Do you measure fat content? and whats it at?

Offline Dwight

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2010, 04:49:45 am »
No, I don't measure. I just chow down and try to get my hands on raw fats as much as possible. I think it's time I actually sleep early, get up early, and head down to the market and buy as much raw fats as possible.

By the way, is epilepsy curable? Because I really need to drive a car, I can't stand public transport.

Offline kurite

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2010, 04:59:13 am »
By the way, is epilepsy curable? Because I really need to drive a car, I can't stand public transport.
I dont believe theres a known medical cure but several members have cured so called "uncurable" diseases. I guess we wont be 100% sure until you do it.
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have."

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2010, 06:20:24 am »
By the way, is epilepsy curable?

Did the doctor say what he thinks caused you to start having epilepsy?  They must have investigated it somehow.
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline ForTheHunt

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2010, 08:01:12 am »
I've heard epilepsy being cured.

I'd cut my carbs way down, exercise alot, eat very moderate amounts of foods (this is important) and then plenty of good meats.

Whether you'll heal completely or not might take 5-7 years but I can guarantee your epilepsy fits will be reduced. Also consume lots of highmeat
Take everyones advice with a grain of salt. Try things out for your self and then make up your mind.

Offline lex_rooker

• Trailblazer
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2010, 08:03:10 am »
Fat percentage is very important for epileptics and needs to be at least 70% of calories. I would suggest getting them all from animal sources.

Do you measure fat content? and whats it at?

I was going to make this same point.  Just raw paleo isn't going to do it for epilepsy.  You need an extreme ketogenic diet and most find that 85% to 90% of calories from fat is needed for the dietary control to be effective.  This means that your raw meat needs to be 35% to 40% fat by weight as a minimum.  This is a good bit more fat than you will find in even the fattiest ground meat at your grocer.  After a couple of years you can scale back on the fat and see if the symptoms still remain in remission - assuming of course, that the diet worked in the first place.

Because of the high fat requirements, fish, poultry, etc aren't going to make the grade (though pork is a good choice) unless you add lots of additional fat like butter, cream, tallow, or bacon fat.  Generally you'd need to add about 30% by weight (edible meat weight only - not bones) of additional fat.  For each lb of fish or poultry this would be about 5 oz of butter, heavy cream, tallow, or bacon fat.  I'd steer clear of plant fats and oils.

I agree with the others that you’ll be far better off to stop the smokes, alcohol, and other destructive behaviors.  I'm less convinced that cooking is a deadly evil and would go out on a limb and say I think you’re certainly better off eating a lightly cooked paleo diet than raw SAD.

Bottom line – the key to epilepsy control through diet is extremely high fat intake and zero carbs.  For the short term I’d try lightly cooked meat (medium rare) very high (swimming) in fat. Break one or two eggs into your meat and stir as it cooks. As soon as the egg has set and is no longer runny it’s done.  This will help absorb a good bit of the liquid fat and make the meal more appetizing.  This should also help satisfy mum.

Lex

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2010, 05:41:05 pm »
  After a couple of years you can scale back on the fat and see if the symptoms still remain in remission - assuming of course, that the diet worked in the first place.

Ketogenic diets aren't a cure for epilepsy. They simply avoid certain body-changes which incite epileptic attacks. I doubt even RPD could cure epilepsy.

I agree with the others that you’ll be far better off to stop the smokes, alcohol, and other destructive behaviors.  I'm less convinced that cooking is a deadly evil and would go out on a limb and say I think you’re certainly better off eating a lightly cooked paleo diet than raw SAD.
   There I would heavily disagree. Cooked, ketogenic diets are well-known to cause multiple types of nasty side-effects, so long-term consumption of such is not going to be pleasant. Better to go for raw, zero-carb(if rzc is able to be tolerated).

*While this has nothing to do with epilepsy as such, I should add that I have heard of a few people recovering from very serious health-problems after consuming raw grainfed supermarket meats for a few years, but lightly-cooked palaeo diets don't seem to be very effective(just lowering symptoms from a few auto-immune diseases and suchlike).
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Dwight

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2010, 05:20:26 am »
    Did the doctor say what he thinks caused you to start having epilepsy?  They must have investigated it somehow.

Probably computer games as I play them often. I get too focused in games and well, I get a fit BUT I've played games after a night of drinking a ton of hard liquor and still able to play well without a attack (E.G Games like LeftFourDead 2).

Offline Dwight

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2010, 05:36:20 am »
It's hard to get fats here, mostly everywhere it's lean, lean, lean. Including lean minced meat.

Pork? Only pasture fed right? Because if it is pasture fed, then it's impossible in Singapore.

=( I'm so lost.

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2010, 08:39:08 am »
Partly cause I am up late often and playing World of Warcraft.

What server? I used to play ~5years ago. I've come across at least one other person here who plays or used to play WoW.
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2010, 09:52:47 am »
Well Dwight, it sounds like you yourself have identified several of the issues that are undercutting your health. If I understand correctly, you're drinking hard liquor, spending lots of time playing computer games, haven't found good sources of animal/fish fats, and have cut out your medicines cold turkey before optimizing your diet, yes? Doesn't that sound like a recipe for disaster? Why not work on what is within your control, like cutting out the alcohol and taking a break from the video games and instead spend some time searching for good sources of animal fats? If you can't find any locally you could try the Internet.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline Dwight

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2010, 05:20:02 pm »
What server? I used to play ~5years ago. I've come across at least one other person here who plays or used to play WoW.
Played for 3 years. Antondias, Aerie Peak, Dath'remar, Nagrand, Thaurissan, Gorgannash.

Offline Dwight

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2010, 05:20:51 pm »
Well Dwight, it sounds like you yourself have identified several of the issues that are undercutting your health. If I understand correctly, you're drinking hard liquor, spending lots of time playing computer games, haven't found good sources of animal/fish fats, and have cut out your medicines cold turkey before optimizing your diet, yes? Doesn't that sound like a recipe for disaster? Why not work on what is within your control, like cutting out the alcohol and taking a break from the video games and instead spend some time searching for good sources of animal fats? If you can't find any locally you could try the Internet.

Found some on the internet but still, fats are hard to find. My best bet would be to go down to the wet market and get it there.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2010, 08:28:10 pm »
Sounds like a good plan. You may even find that some pasture-raised meat vendors/farmers dispose of fat depots and organs instead of selling them and might give some to you free. My brother in law just received some elk livers and hearts free. Wish I had storage space to store a bunch of them. The problem in cultures like the USA that look down on fat and organs is figuring out a way to inquire about such things without coming across as crazy.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk