4 (21.1%)
yes, but only drink a little
6 (31.6%)
no
4 (21.1%)
not sure
5 (26.3%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Author Topic: Pros & Cons Vegetable Juicing  (Read 17803 times)

Offline Hans89

• Elder
    • View Profile
Pros & Cons Vegetable Juicing
« on: April 01, 2010, 03:57:42 pm »
Hi all,

what do you think about juicing? My stomach and bowels are very very irritable, and I'd like to give them some time to rest, so they can heal from all the abuse they've had to go through. So recently I've been wondering if vegetable juices are soothing and helpful in terms of enzymes, minerals and organically bound water, or if they are irritating my digestion.

My experience so far has been that I feel a little, but only a little uncomfortable when drinking them. And they seem to encourage bowel movement, which might also be a sign of irritation.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Re: Pros & Cons Vegetable Juicing
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2010, 05:13:16 pm »
The general concensus among RVAFers is that 1 glass a day or more for long periods is usually bad for one. I've also come across a few who've mentioned some benefits from drinking it from time to time. However, my own experiment with it showed that vegetable oils, such as raw olive oil or veggie-juice just go largely unabsorbed through my body giving me diarrhea of sorts a short time later.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline kurite

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2010, 05:29:36 pm »
I dont think they are beneficial because when you juice vegetables you are concentrating the enzyme inhibitors. I do however believe fruit juice is beneficial but it should not be a large portion of your diet due to blood sugar problems.
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have."

Offline intouchwithinstinct

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2010, 07:21:45 pm »
My own experience for me has been a hard time digesting these things.  Then again I find this with allot of plant foods it could be different for others.  I tend to be very sensitive to what plant foods go well with me.
"One wonders if there is not something in the life-giving vitamins and minerals of the food that builds not only great physical structures within which their souls reside, but builds minds and hearts capable of a higher type of mankind in which the material values of life are made secondary to individual character."~Weston Price~

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2010, 08:42:16 pm »
It probably depends on which vegetables you are juicing.
I'd probably juice veggies at most once a month for the heck of it.
I like celery.
They say it's the secret of Russian playboys.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline Hans89

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2010, 09:34:23 pm »
I juice celery, parsley, chard, and a little in the end carrot cause it makes it easier to clean the juicer. I drink a glass a day now, but I'm becoming weary of the PD recommendations because neither dairy including butter, avocado nor coconut cream seem to work well for me. I just want to give my gut a rest, and now I'm worried that the juice could upset that plan.

I also just bought one of those expensive juicers to make coconut cream as an alternative fat source (animal fat is hard to find and I don't feel well with butter, plus the butter I can find is yuk.) I just wish I had read the thread about coconut cream before I bought that thing... Coconut cream worked on my body just like milk, maybe a little worse even. Now I'm considering to return it. If I'll juice only once in a while, I might as well use my hand-operated one.

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2010, 11:59:52 pm »
It probably depends on which vegetables you are juicing.
...I like celery.
They say it's the secret of Russian playboys.

I read in the more veg raw forums that celery make mens pheromones more attractive.

I know when people get overly attracted to me days I eat raw chicken, the same days I am also drinking celery juice.

Celery juice, some vegetarians use to lower their blood pressure.  Some primal dieters eat celery before bedtime to relax their muscles and fall asleep.  PDers also use celery to make more brain connections (and to wean off coffee etc).  Maybe the calm many of them get from celery juice is like a relaxed mentality that is more attractive the the HBP type.  I know I don't find that kind attractive sensually at all, rather the opposite, HBP is almost sickening.

I dk, maybe celery juice is more needed when vegan or dairy using.  Maybe people who are neither vegan nor use dairy are better off without green juice.

For me, at least now that I'm RVAF, the darker green cruciferous juices and certain herb juices taste too disgusting to drink at all ever.  When I was vegan I drank dark green leafy juices.  Then again I got a(n) (albeit minor childhood) virus drinking those juices, whereas without those juices I was proving passively immune to it.    
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2010, 09:53:33 pm »
I knew a lady who said her skin gets a lot clearer and blemish-free when she is juicing every day. 

I think it's wise to include some celery with the high-sugar fruits and veggies. The celery balances blood sugar.

It's definitely something to experiment with, but I wouldn't recommend going overboard.  If you don't see positive results within a week, I wouldn't make it a daily thing.  Also, I wouldn't drink more than 1-2 8-ounce glasses daily.

Offline majormark

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2010, 11:17:09 pm »

I usually drink about half a cup in the morning and some mornings I feel more awake right after drinking it.

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2010, 11:03:45 am »
juicing every day.  

I think it's wise to include some celery with the ..., I wouldn't drink more than 1-2 8-ounce glasses daily.

There are these vegans doing 90 day and six month green juice feast/fasts.  I don't see how that can heal.  This one guy, he is such a hater, in those other forums (mostly veganish forums).  I think the long term extended greenjuice-only fasting made him spew his gall/resentment of anything and everything that happened in his life onto innocent people on the forum.

A juice only diet isn't paleo anyway, unless grass was the only thing available to eat.
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline Sitting Coyote

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2010, 10:57:24 pm »
Another side of the juicing question is whether we want to become dependent on machines to allow us to maintain our chosen diet.  

When I went raw last December, I planned on buying one of the fancy food processors (Vita-Mix) and a juicer so I could make all sorts of fancy raw food.  Within a week of starting my largely raw diet (above 80%) my tastes began to noticeably change, and the formerly bland foods that I needed to mix into a smoothy, juice, or make into sushi to eat started tasting distinctive and pleasant enough that I could eat them on their own, with no adulteration.  

Now, a few months later, not only have I never bought the Vita-Mix or juicer, I have also gotten rid of all my food-processing machines and rarely buy anything processed.  I just don't have a taste for processed foods anymore, and don't see any benefit to juicing or smoothies over eating the unprocessed ingredients individually provided you chew your vegetable foods well.  

The only food processors I own are a sharp chef's knife and my teeth.

Offline Haai

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2010, 08:51:53 am »
Ive had extreme inflammation of my face the past couple of weeks, which ofcourse itched a lot and so i scratched it and so it turned into eczema. I think it was because I was eating so much meat that it was acidifying my body too much. So the past 5 days now Ive eaten only avocados, small amount of melon and A LOT of veg juice. Up to 4 pints in 1 day. The inflammation is now gone and only the scratches remain, which appear to be healing. I think the veg juice has neutralized (or probably alkalized) my body which I guess it needed.
Anyway, I had like 2 to 3 kilos of meat still in the fridge from before I cut meat out temporarily, and it's now totally discoloured and stinks. I'll give it a try in a few days, it'll be the first time I try rotting meat.
"In the modern, prevailing view of the cosmos, we sit here as tiny, unimportant specks of protoplasm, flukes of nature, and stare out into an almost limitless void. Vast, nameless tracts of emptiness dominate the scene. Talk about feeling small.
But we do not look out at the universe; it is, instead, within us, as a rich 3-D visual experience whose location is the mind" - R. Lanza, Beyond Biocentrism.

Offline Hans89

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2010, 03:26:43 pm »
Vegetable juice might be a good remedy? This reminds me of what AV writes... that people who don't take vegetable juices get problems with volatile toxins from detoxification, because those toxins acidify the blood... in your case, this might be what happened... That seems like an awful lot of veggie juice, which veggies did you juice, actually?

Ive had extreme inflammation of my face the past couple of weeks, which ofcourse itched a lot and so i scratched it and so it turned into eczema. I think it was because I was eating so much meat that it was acidifying my body too much. So the past 5 days now Ive eaten only avocados, small amount of melon and A LOT of veg juice. Up to 4 pints in 1 day. The inflammation is now gone and only the scratches remain, which appear to be healing. I think the veg juice has neutralized (or probably alkalized) my body which I guess it needed.
Anyway, I had like 2 to 3 kilos of meat still in the fridge from before I cut meat out temporarily, and it's now totally discoloured and stinks. I'll give it a try in a few days, it'll be the first time I try rotting meat.

Offline sameulroj25

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2010, 09:12:42 pm »
any type of juice raise calorie whereas raw vegetable is good which contain low protein diet

Offline Haai

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2010, 02:01:07 am »
Vegetable juice might be a good remedy? This reminds me of what AV writes... that people who don't take vegetable juices get problems with volatile toxins from detoxification, because those toxins acidify the blood... in your case, this might be what happened... That seems like an awful lot of veggie juice, which veggies did you juice, actually?

Yeh I was thinking it might be a detoxification of some kind (such as of the skin).

I mainly drank a mixture of carrot and celery juice. Sometimes with some spinach juice in there (and occasionally watercress and rocket).

As of today i've started drinking a few smoothies (eggs + melon), because I think the eggs will speed up the healing process. Correct me if i'm wrong on that.
"In the modern, prevailing view of the cosmos, we sit here as tiny, unimportant specks of protoplasm, flukes of nature, and stare out into an almost limitless void. Vast, nameless tracts of emptiness dominate the scene. Talk about feeling small.
But we do not look out at the universe; it is, instead, within us, as a rich 3-D visual experience whose location is the mind" - R. Lanza, Beyond Biocentrism.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2010, 04:23:07 am »
My advice:- just avoid the raw veggie-juices as they cause nasty side-effects for most Primal-Dieters.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 09:25:41 pm by TylerDurden »
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Haai

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2010, 09:23:27 pm »
The past 2 days I've seen no improvement in my condition so i'm going to cut down on veg juice and start eating fatty meat again, starting with my aged stuff in the fridge.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk