Author Topic: Today's workout?  (Read 364549 times)

Offline SkinnyDevil

• Chief
  • "...embrace your fear..."
    • View Profile
    • Skinny Devil Music Lab
Re: Today's workout?
« Reply #475 on: April 01, 2011, 10:51:52 pm »
Friday (April 1):

TG warm-up
light weight
25 pull-ups
25 chin-ups
150 push-ups
200 sit-ups
200 squats
550 stairs

Might be time to press the cardio......
-
--
David M. McLean
Skinny Devil Music Lab
http://www.skinnydevil.com

Offline KD

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: April 01, 2011, 11:43:20 pm »
looks functionally identical to mine.  i don't understand how it can possibly slide off regardless of your waist.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_R0viy9yAMNM/SoV3oKE_Z6I/AAAAAAAAAEc/-LjeafmgE_0/s400/weighted+chin+up.jpg

the weight essentially hangs on your quads and ass.  it is only called a belt - you don't use it as a belt ( see pic above ).  you only loop it around your body on the back side and then you loop it over your quads in the front.  then by lifting your legs up a bit you secure it in place.  i never had a problem.

well what do you know, you actually provided me with what I was looking for. This actually is not in any way the same belt, and I havn't seen it before at least IICR. the model i posted is indeed a 'belt', the square brace fits against your back and loops around the waist. the chain drops vertically downward. I'll look into purchasing something like this. thanks.

Offline achillezzz

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: April 02, 2011, 01:34:23 am »
Friday (April 1):

TG warm-up
light weight
25 pull-ups
25 chin-ups
150 push-ups
200 sit-ups
200 squats
550 stairs

Might be time to press the cardio......

You love bodyweight exercises thats great but now when you are very good with all the teachniques start adding more ressitance work on 1 arm pull ups one leg squats one arm perfect pushups perfect hanging leg raises.

You said you dont want to do handstand pushups because you got injured and you are afraid of it when your favorite quote is embrace your fears??  -\

Offline Josh

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: April 02, 2011, 03:15:59 am »
Sandbag: squats, curved back deadlift, wall press. I also did arm curls and bent over rows by putting a walking stick through the handle, but it wasn't really satisfactory. A dumbell set is on my wishlist.

Offline Josh

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: April 02, 2011, 04:02:58 am »
How are you guys doing dips at home if that's the case?

Offline KD

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #480 on: April 02, 2011, 04:07:39 am »
sheesh. everybody's a critic...

How are you guys doing dips at home if that's the case?

i'm not, but you can do full dips between chairs if at least one is weighted down and/or pushed against a wall or something. the force downward seems to be partly adequate.

you can also do like a semi-dip by putting your arms somewhat behind you on a ledge or box of some kind or a high bedframe. just requires more reps.

Offline achillezzz

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: April 02, 2011, 04:22:05 am »
get your self a power station and workout everyday pull ups dips pushups handstand pushups 1 leg squats
your never gymless

Offline Josh

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: April 02, 2011, 05:10:19 am »
Thanks KD and achillezzz. I think I might get a couple of metal chairs sometime.

Offline proteus

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: April 02, 2011, 10:01:24 am »
200 squats

have u tried doing a squat ( no added weight ) on one leg ?  i tried it a few days ago i was surprised by how hard it is. 

Offline SkinnyDevil

• Chief
    • View Profile
    • Skinny Devil Music Lab
« Reply #484 on: April 02, 2011, 09:57:39 pm »
Quote from: achillezzz
You love bodyweight exercises thats great but now when you are very good with all the teachniques start adding more ressitance work on 1 arm pull ups one leg squats one arm perfect pushups perfect hanging leg raises.

You said you dont want to do handstand pushups because you got injured and you are afraid of it when your favorite quote is embrace your fears??  -\

Hahahaha!!!

1) Yes, as I said several posts ago, I plan to start adding weight again to my pull-ups & chin-ups. I use a 20 pound vest.

2) "Embrace your fear" does not mean "injure yourself". I've had 2 major shoulder injuries and would rather play it safe in this regard. When I get to the point where they feel strong enough I may well try some handstand push-ups, but certainly not today.

Quote from: proteus
have u tried doing a squat ( no added weight ) on one leg ?  i tried it a few days ago i was surprised by how hard it is. 

Yes, used to do "pistols" all the time when I was doing challenges with Richard Blackman (that's when I first learned they were called "pistols"). They are VERY stressful, though, so I don;t do them regularly or in great numbers.

Quote from: KD
sheesh. everybody's a critic...

Hahaha!!!

-
--
David M. McLean
Skinny Devil Music Lab

Offline pioneer

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: April 03, 2011, 04:44:26 am »
Workout Friday:

Rope chin ups: 3x6 with 55lbs
Dips:               3x7 with 65lbs
Squat:             3x6 with 245lbs

Hellll yeahhh!!!
"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing" - Edmund Burke

"There is a lot of pressure to be sexualized but not to actually be sexual."
- women's health member

Offline proteus

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: April 04, 2011, 08:18:22 am »
Workout Friday:

Rope chin ups: 3x6 with 55lbs
Dips:               3x7 with 65lbs
Squat:             3x6 with 245lbs

Hellll yeahhh!!!

i used to work out in that rep range 5-6 reps per set.  you get very strong but i wouldn't say very fit that way.  and you also don't get the best possible muscle size this way either.

if all you do is low reps and you then go to a swimming pool and try to swim a few laps you will almost explode with pump afterwards.  try to switch up the rep range once in a while, or use supersets for better pump.

i suggest you vary your rep range anywhere from 3 reps 30+ reps instead of always hitting the same 6 reps.  don't let your muscle settle into a comfort rep zone :)

Offline pioneer

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: April 04, 2011, 09:23:01 pm »
i used to work out in that rep range 5-6 reps per set.  you get very strong but i wouldn't say very fit that way.  and you also don't get the best possible muscle size this way either.

if all you do is low reps and you then go to a swimming pool and try to swim a few laps you will almost explode with pump afterwards.  try to switch up the rep range once in a while, or use supersets for better pump.

i suggest you vary your rep range anywhere from 3 reps 30+ reps instead of always hitting the same 6 reps.  don't let your muscle settle into a comfort rep zone :)

I appreciate the advice, but I am way more concerned about hyperplasia and building plywood as muscles rather than hypertrophy, which just builds balloons as muscles. You can still put decent size on while doing lower reps. I look to my diet for building size, not my workout program. If I am not putting size on, it is a result of not eating enough, not what I am doing in the gym. This is all personal experience for me. BTW I trail run all of the time in bare feet which gives me a killer workout that is real fun. I am over doing things that are not fun for me. If your workouts are not fun, what is the point? I must say I do do the 20 rep squat every once in a while, which is great. I also could care less about bench anymore, what do you think of benching man? I am also not concerned about my pump either because I get pumps very easily. If I do 1 set of weighted pullups my biceps and back are at a full pump with blood engorged veins. I speculate that eating raw red meat helps with this.

Sunday:

Weighted Chins:  3x7 with 70lbs (full ROM)
Overhead Press:  3x6 with 125lbs
Deadlift:              3x5 with 265lbs (slowly working back up with good form/ trying not to strain my back)

High reps dont work for me as I am sort of an ectomorph as well. But thanks again man.
"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing" - Edmund Burke

- women's health member

Offline pioneer

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: April 04, 2011, 09:25:29 pm »
Another thing I dont always agree with is changing things up all the time. I have been doing this same routine for about 6 months and am getting killer strong, while my friends who always change it up are still stuck at similar weight ranges. There is something to be said about consistency and doing the same routine for a while. I think some people dont give their programs enough of a chance.

- women's health member

Offline proteus

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: April 04, 2011, 09:55:33 pm »
what do you think of benching?

i answered your question, but moved it to this thread:

http://www.rawpaleoforum.com/exercisebodybuilding/the-best-work-out!!!/msg67872/#msg67872

so as to keep SkinnyDevil happy.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 10:08:13 pm by proteus »

Offline SkinnyDevil

• Chief
    • View Profile
    • Skinny Devil Music Lab
« Reply #490 on: April 04, 2011, 10:14:48 pm »
i answered your question, but moved it to this thread:

http://www.rawpaleoforum.com/exercisebodybuilding/the-best-work-out!!!/msg67872/#msg67872

so as to keep SkinnyDevil happy.

You'll note SkinnyDevil was not the one who complained. I merely started the other thread so that this could be more of a log about work-outs and sharing info rather than arguing about what works and what doesn't.

At any rate....Monday (April4):

TG warm-up
light weight
couple of light rounds on the heavy bag
30 pull-ups
30 chin-ups
100 push-ups
200 squats
330 stairs
-
--
David M. McLean
Skinny Devil Music Lab

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: April 05, 2011, 09:52:48 pm »
Ran 5 miles, did various pull-ups/movement on bar as well as various rows/presses from standing.
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

Offline SkinnyDevil

• Chief
    • View Profile
    • Skinny Devil Music Lab
« Reply #492 on: April 06, 2011, 04:54:30 am »
Servicing the bikes so we can start riding when it warms up....and ride to the lake for a swim a coupla times a week.

Today (Tuesday):

60 pull-ups
60 chin-ups
200 squats
400 calf raises
-
--
David M. McLean
Skinny Devil Music Lab

Offline pioneer

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: April 06, 2011, 08:51:04 pm »
Servicing the bikes so we can start riding when it warms up....and ride to the lake for a swim a coupla times a week.

Today (Tuesday):

60 pull-ups
60 chin-ups
200 squats
400 calf raises

Just curious, why do calf raises when you can do things barefoot (sprint, walk, run, hike)?

- women's health member

Offline SkinnyDevil

• Chief
    • View Profile
    • Skinny Devil Music Lab
« Reply #494 on: April 06, 2011, 10:37:20 pm »
Just curious, why do calf raises when you can do things barefoot (sprint, walk, run, hike)?

Lazy, mostly (hahaha!).

Not really in an area conducive to running, though we hike and bike in the warm months. But I run stairs (barefoot) during work-outs. I see no need to NOT do calf raises, even when I'm running stairs.

Wednesday:

3 cycles TG circuit
150 push-ups
200 sit-ups
300 squats
3 rounds on the heavy bag
-
--
David M. McLean
Skinny Devil Music Lab

Offline pioneer

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #495 on: April 07, 2011, 05:17:04 am »
Wed:
Weight rope chins- 3x5 with 60lbs
Weight ring dips-   3x5 with 70lbs
Squat-                  3x7 with 245lbs

Woooohaaa ;D

- women's health member

Offline proteus

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: April 07, 2011, 07:07:04 pm »
WED:  biked 20 miles ( 5 x 4 mile laps on the boardwalk ).   

Offline wodgina

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Opportunistic Carnivore
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: April 07, 2011, 08:17:00 pm »
Wed:
Weight rope chins- 3x5 with 60lbs
Weight ring dips-   3x5 with 70lbs
Squat-                  3x7 with 245lbs

Woooohaaa ;D

How's the testosterone?
“Integrity has no need of rules.”

Albert Camus

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: April 08, 2011, 02:39:43 am »
Hey Skinny I dunno what you do, but when I used to do calf raises I used to bend my knees towards relaxation of the calves so I could get the full ROM, and then straighten as I contracted. More natural movement that way too, similar to jumping, and easier to balance.

Today I just ran and walked about a bit, did some pull-ups and unilateral dumbbell squat/deadlift/row/press combo things(no momentum) to most full reps I could do for several sets with rests between, and did some general movement in my room with just bodyweight/weight of whatever body parts I was moving and stretching/loosening up or whatever, but I don't mean stretching to try and make myself more flexible, or holding any stretch with weight my other arm or anything, just stretching to the edge of my natural ROM.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 02:49:37 am by miles »
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

Offline pioneer

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: April 08, 2011, 04:50:20 am »
How's the testosterone?

Testosterone is going well, I have more primary sex characteristics present like having to shave every day or else I'll have  a beard and my girlfriend will get annoyed. Harder erections as well. I feel my situation is directly related to sleep. When I dont sleep well, my testosterone plummets, which is why I cant wait til summer when I can sleep 10 hours a day. Whether I have high T or not, I always seem to have an easy time putting on muscle and getting stronger if I eat and sleep enough. I speculate that part of this is that my receptor sites for T are wide open in my muscles and my muscles readily take in the T so when I get blood tested it looks like I have low T but I dont. I got a 24 hour urine testosterone test and it came out over the top of the range, which means my T receptor sites are wide open and my androgens are being well utilized in my body. This is a fairly new recognized phenomenon, which I am currently studying.

- women's health member

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk