Author Topic: Today's workout?  (Read 364702 times)

Offline SkinnyDevil

• Chief
  • "...embrace your fear..."
    • View Profile
    • Skinny Devil Music Lab
Re: Today's workout?
« Reply #575 on: May 16, 2011, 11:04:34 pm »
Totally forgot to post my Friday work-out....

Monday, May 16:

75 pull-ups
75 chin-ups
300 squats
800 calf raises
3 rounds heavy bag

Gotta get back to 4-5 workouts per week. I slacked off the last coupla weeks!
-
--
David M. McLean
Skinny Devil Music Lab
http://www.skinnydevil.com

Offline SkinnyDevil

• Chief
    • View Profile
    • Skinny Devil Music Lab
« Reply #576 on: May 17, 2011, 09:44:27 pm »
Tuesday:

150 push-ups (feet elevated)
200 squats
200 sit-ups
light weight
2 rounds heavy bag
-
--
David M. McLean
Skinny Devil Music Lab

Offline SkinnyDevil

• Chief
    • View Profile
    • Skinny Devil Music Lab
« Reply #577 on: May 19, 2011, 10:23:50 pm »
Thursday:

TG warm-up
light weight
50 pull-ups
50 chin-ups
200 squats
600 calf raises
2 rounds heavy bag

Feelin' good...
-
--
David M. McLean
Skinny Devil Music Lab

Offline pioneer

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: May 20, 2011, 05:19:13 am »
Wednesday:
Squat ATG:         265lb x10
1 leg calf raises:   50lb x15
chin ups;             80lb x6
Press:                125lb x5
Bent Row:          180lb x8
Ring Dip;            75lb  x8
Deadlift;            295    x6

Workout time=27 minutes 30 seconds
"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing" - Edmund Burke

"There is a lot of pressure to be sexualized but not to actually be sexual."
- women's health member

Offline KD

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: May 21, 2011, 07:53:51 am »
Calorie row???

yeah..just a row on the machine. in the 20 second work of the tabata..you are not likely going to get in double digits in calories burned, so its a useful SCORE as opposed to distances or something. Basically it ensures a simple recordable number.

Wednesday:
Squat ATG:         265lb x10
1 leg calf raises:   50lb x15
chin ups;             80lb x6
Press:                125lb x5
Bent Row:          180lb x8
Ring Dip;            75lb  x8
Deadlift;            295    x6

Workout time=27 minutes 30 seconds

you are making great progress man. keep it up.

---

new cool exercise:
round' the world plank:
feet up on a box of some kind. plank position moving laterally in a circle...with a big ass weight on your back :)

Offline pioneer

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: May 21, 2011, 09:22:32 pm »

you are making great progress man. keep it up.

Thanks a lot KD, I am doing HIT it Raw's style workout and I think I like it more than anything I've ever done. I like the idea of giving your workout your all, not prefatiging yourself or doing several sets that are basically warm up sets. This way I can train at my absolute freshest state. I love HIT
"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing" - Edmund Burke

- women's health member

Offline KD

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: May 23, 2011, 06:34:07 am »
Thanks a lot KD, I am doing HIT it Raw's style workout and I think I like it more than anything I've ever done. I like the idea of giving your workout your all, not prefatiging yourself or doing several sets that are basically warm up sets. This way I can train at my absolute freshest state. I love HIT

yeah sounds fun. I do something similar but clearly not the same. I'll certainly give it a shot soon. I'm moving to a new place that has a gym in the building which is going to be SWEET. Its small and likely i'll be there by myself most times so I can do crazier stuff. Most guys at Golds have never seen a power clean and therefore just walk up all close to me while i'm about to violently throw steel in the air...CF is crazy in its own way and 'high intensity' but yeah this sounds worth experimenting with.

I assume you are always doing your absolute max in reps for those lifts? makes sense to me to do that combined with the occasional 3s, or 1s at max perhaps...

I did 8 weighted dips with a 75 lb hanging dumbbell today.. that was probably a PR. rings would have killed me. :)

Offline pioneer

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: May 23, 2011, 11:19:51 am »
yeah sounds fun. I do something similar but clearly not the same. I'll certainly give it a shot soon. I'm moving to a new place that has a gym in the building which is going to be SWEET. Its small and likely i'll be there by myself most times so I can do crazier stuff. Most guys at Golds have never seen a power clean and therefore just walk up all close to me while i'm about to violently throw steel in the air...CF is crazy in its own way and 'high intensity' but yeah this sounds worth experimenting with.

I assume you are always doing your absolute max in reps for those lifts? makes sense to me to do that combined with the occasional 3s, or 1s at max perhaps...

I did 8 weighted dips with a 75 lb hanging dumbbell today.. that was probably a PR. rings would have killed me. :)

Yeah, the rings are tough, but it doesnt take that long to get used to them. It really is all balance and after some discipline using them often, all the stabilizer muscles get used to it.

- women's health member

Offline KD

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: May 23, 2011, 11:25:01 am »
I'm good on the rings as far as just bodyweight dips. I doubt I could put nearly as much weight on though.

we did this pretty cool ring move the other day called 'skin the cat' which is like a 270 deg somersault on the rings back and forth.

I can finally get muscle ups on the rings..sort of ugly tho. need more hip action.

Offline HIT_it_RAW

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: May 23, 2011, 04:08:35 pm »
Gave my body 2 weeks rest to allow it heal things other than muscle. Made good progress so I guess my muscles needed that to. Did some cardio in the second week rest.

Full squat                         10 x 285 lbs
Leg presses                      11 x 780 lbs
Calf raises                         8 x 350 lbs
Machine pullovers               7 x 260 lbs
Machine dips                     7 x 265 lbs
Pull down                          7 x 230 lbs
Standing presses                6 x 132lb
Deadlift                            2 x 375
Stif legged deadlift             6 x 290

training time 21 minutes.

Might have a crazy legg day next week. Something like

1 leg press
2 leg extension
3 squat
4 leg curl
5 calf raise
6 deadlift
+ 2 upper body exercises.

Exc 1 to 4 are done without as much as 2 sec of rest in between (all to utter failure off course). This cycle generates a training intensity for the legs that cannot be reached any other way. It hurts. Haven’t done this cycle for a while because it makes my legs grow bigger and faster than my skin can stretch leaving stretch marks on the inner thigh. I hope that RPD nourishes my skin enough to make this possible again. Its also one of the best cardio workouts I know. I ones measured my heartrate at 206 after the squats.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 06:57:11 pm by HIT_it_RAW »
“A man should be able to build a house, butcher a hog, tan the hide,
preserve the meat, deliver a baby, nurture the sick and reassure the dying, fight a war … specialization is for insects.”

Offline SkinnyDevil

• Chief
    • View Profile
    • Skinny Devil Music Lab
« Reply #585 on: May 23, 2011, 09:48:04 pm »
I did 8 weighted dips with a 75 lb hanging dumbbell today..

OUCH!!!!
-
--
David M. McLean
Skinny Devil Music Lab

Offline HIT_it_RAW

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: May 23, 2011, 10:31:51 pm »
I did 8 weighted dips with a 75 lb hanging dumbbell today..
I should do some of those to see how my dip machine translates to weighted dips.
preserve the meat, deliver a baby, nurture the sick and reassure the dying, fight a war … specialization is for insects.”

Offline SkinnyDevil

• Chief
    • View Profile
    • Skinny Devil Music Lab
« Reply #587 on: May 23, 2011, 11:32:16 pm »
Monday....

TG warm-ups
5 rounds heavy bag
550 stairs
-
--
David M. McLean
Skinny Devil Music Lab

Offline SkinnyDevil

• Chief
    • View Profile
    • Skinny Devil Music Lab
« Reply #588 on: May 24, 2011, 10:57:55 pm »
Tuesday....

TG warm-up
light weight
(full body)
75 pull-ups
75 chin-ups
200 squats
500 calf raises

Now for some turkey.....
-
--
David M. McLean
Skinny Devil Music Lab

Offline KD

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: May 25, 2011, 06:31:44 am »
warmup
spiderman strech, under the hurdles, spiderman, pvc strech. double dutch with the heavy rope about 2 mins

here is what I tried:

- power clean 115 x 7
- deficit dead-lift (35 plates instead of 45) - 235 x 7
- chin ups x 15
- split rope pully curl (from floor) max plates + 5 lbs = 100 lbs x 8
- perpetual rope pulldown machine (best machine ever) 2 minutes max level
- press 90 x 10
- front squat 90 x 15
- calf raise 295 x 15

didn't time it but I'm used to the 20-30 min CF stuff with absolutely no breaks. I estimate 10-13 mins

heres an old workout
http://www.rawpaleodietforum.com/exercisebodybuilding/today%27s-workout/msg50535/?topicseen#msg50535

fairly intense hehe.

Offline HIT_it_RAW

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: May 25, 2011, 02:31:52 pm »
- perpetual rope pulldown machine (best machine ever) 2 minutes max level

nah best machine ever imo is the pullover intoduced by arthur jones
Still the only full range exercise for the lats. (rope) pulldowns is a limited range exercise.
Perpetual pulldowns remove the negative part of the exercise which is the most productive part.

Offline achillezzz

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: May 25, 2011, 03:14:53 pm »
HIT IT RAW your profile pic xD is it a gorilla?

Offline HIT_it_RAW

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: May 25, 2011, 03:29:28 pm »
HIT IT RAW your profile pic xD is it a gorilla?
Its a picture from a promotion stunt for a very early Nautiluss pullover.

Offline KD

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: May 25, 2011, 09:43:10 pm »
nah best machine ever imo is the pullover intoduced by arthur jones
Still the only full range exercise for the lats. (rope) pulldowns is a limited range exercise.
Perpetual pulldowns remove the negative part of the exercise which is the most productive part.

heh, well I don't really do many machines these days, so this is the most useful and natural one I have found (for myself) . I do full ceiling rope clmbs (25 ft) and I can do more of them and quicker than most folks. I know what negative means but I'm not sure what you mean by negative in this instance. Its basically a rope that goes in a circle vertically so its more or less the same motion of a rope clmb only there is resistance. So its like a machine dip as opposed to a regular dip in my impression.

Offline HIT_it_RAW

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: May 25, 2011, 10:01:38 pm »
heh, well I don't really do many machines these days, so this is the most useful and natural one I have found (for myself) . I do full ceiling rope clmbs (25 ft) and I can do more of them and quicker than most folks. I know what negative means but I'm not sure what you mean by negative in this instance. Its basically a rope that goes in a circle vertically so its more or less the same motion of a rope clmb only there is resistance. So its like a machine dip as opposed to a regular dip in my impression.
What I mean. In regular exercise you lift the weight first (positive/concentric) than you hold it (static) than you lower it (negative/eccentric). The negative part of the exercise is the most productive part of the exercise. When you do a regular rope climb the climbing is positive but lowering yourself is negative work unless you drop down. This machine only simulates the climbing part.

A dip machine does have a negative part. Also a dip machine can vary the level of resistance throughout the movement to match the strength curve of your muscles. Gravity in regular dips can’t.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 10:06:45 pm by HIT_it_RAW »

Offline pioneer

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: May 26, 2011, 01:28:38 am »
Wednesday:

squat ATG:            275lb 9 reps
Calf raise 1 leg:       60lb 10 reps each
Chins:                     80lb 6 reps (almost 7)
Overhead Press:      125lb 3 reps (WTF sucks)
Bent row:               185lb 8 reps
Ring Dips:                80lb 5 reps
Deadlift:                  305  6 reps

- women's health member

Offline HIT_it_RAW

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: May 26, 2011, 01:56:52 am »
Pioneer
Drop that overhead press weight to 105 lbs so you get 8 reps. Than increase to 115 next time than 125 next time. Obviously you don't have that much fast twitch in the press muscles or you would have improved by now. Don't be to proud to reduce the weight. I've made that mistake in the past.

Other than that your doing great man keep it up.

Offline KD

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: May 26, 2011, 02:09:10 am »
What I mean. In regular exercise you lift the weight first (positive/concentric) than you hold it (static) than you lower it (negative/eccentric). The negative part of the exercise is the most productive part of the exercise. When you do a regular rope climb the climbing is positive but lowering yourself is negative work unless you drop down. This machine only simulates the climbing part.

A dip machine does have a negative part. Also a dip machine can vary the level of resistance throughout the movement to match the strength curve of your muscles. Gravity in regular dips can’t.

Yeah I can safely say this is just an opinion. I don't think you'll find too many serious lifters who will say the 'negative' of say a deadlift, clean, snatch, pullup etc.. is more important than the actual lift. Negatives deal primarily with machine culture that can isolate such processes and may provide some other type of muscular engagement. with a rope the descent is fairly unimportant and the lack of such in the machine does not seem to be a detriment to improving the climbing part. you can slide down or jump like a ninja and still get effect out of the exercise. odds are if a rope is used in some way in the world its all about the climb. Many people CANNOT remotely climb a rope, i have never seen anyone climb a rope that had difficulty getting down a rope, seems almost impossible that that part of the exercise is harder on the body.

as for dips the machine is obviously less natural than the rope machine even if the rope machine was 'half' an exercise. you are sitting down and pushing weight downward, not exactly engaging with the natural world. any extra resistance is easily accomplished with added weights to dips, pullups etc..and there are really very few people that would say that those particular machines supply any advantage to those exercises.

to me machines are really only worth using if one WANTS to isolate certain muscles or if the machine can literally accomplish something you cannot replicate with body-weight or dumbells/barbells like things accomplished through bands and pulleys. The rope machine is the 'best' for me because I can use it when I don't have access to a rope, or want to just strengthen those muscles without going up and down a rope...which has uh..drawbacks
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 02:24:50 am by KD »

Offline HIT_it_RAW

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: May 26, 2011, 02:35:59 am »
Yeah I can safely say this is just an opinion. I don't think you'll find to many serious lifters who will say the 'negative' of say a deadlift, clean, snatch, pullup etc.. is more important than the actual lift. Negatives deal primarily with machines that can isolate such processes and may provide some other type of muscular engagement. with a rope the decent is fairly unimportant and the lack of such in the machine does not seem to be a detriment to improving the climbing part. you can slide down or jump like a ninja and still get way more effect out of the exercise. odds are if a rope is used in some way in the world its all about the climb.

as for dips. the machine is obviously less natural than the rope machine even if the rope machine was 'half' an exercise. you are sitting down and pushing weight downward, not exactly engaging with the natural world. any extra resistance is easily accomplished wth added weights to dips, pullups etc..and there are really very few people that would say that those particular machines supply any advantage to those exercises.

to me machines are really only worth using if one wants to isolate certain muscles or if the machine can literally accomplish something you cannot replicate with body-weight or dumbells/barbells like things accomplished through bands and pulleys
Negatives is certainly not limited to machines as all barbell exercises have a negative part. Serious lifters need to do those lifts because they need to learn the skill involved. If one is just trying to gain strength and not it doesn’t matter if the resistance is provided by a barbell, rope, log, machine etc. The results produced by strength training depend on the percentage of muscle mass that is involved in the exercise and the level of intensity that is reached. That is the percentage of maximum possible effort. To use as large a percentage of a muscle the exercise should be
1 full range
2 provide resistance in the position of maximum contraction (that is the only position the entire muscle can be trained.)
And a few other requirement but this will suffice for now.
All barbell exercises are limited range and do not provide resistance in the position of maximum contraction. A properly designed machine (those are rare) can provide both those requirements.

Sure you could add weight to your waist and do dips. But the resistance is the same throughout the entire range of motion. However your strength is not the same in fact you’re ~80% stronger near the top than near the bottom. With regular dips you fail near the bottom and therefore have not stressed your muscle as hard as you would have if you would have failed at the top where you are stronger because you involve a larger % of the muscle. With a properly (again rare) designed dip machine you can fail at the top therefore reach a higher intensity. Higher intensity means greater growth stimulus means better progress. A correct designed machine will vary the resistance as your strength varies. I don’t care what’s natural just what works best!

Tell me what direct exercise would you use to train the largest mass in the upper body the latimuss dorsi?

Offline KD

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: May 26, 2011, 02:54:20 am »
Negatives is certainly not limited to machines as all barbell exercises have a negative part. Serious lifters need to do those lifts because they need to learn the skill involved. If one is just trying to gain strength and not it doesn’t matter if the resistance is provided by a barbell, rope, log, machine etc. The results produced by strength training depend on the percentage of muscle mass that is involved in the exercise and the level of intensity that is reached.

I don’t care what’s natural just what works best!

sure and I share the same point of view but seeing since that is the case I don't see why it was really necessary to pick apart what my most useful machine is. Its useful because it works in place of other unavailable or non-comparable exercises and realistically mimics a real life workout whereas your justification of a machine with dips doesn't exactly work to provide serious benefit AFAIC.

Basically if a dip machine created absolute strength then the person would easily crush weighted dips and ring dips. turns out that isn't the case, although someone who excels at the later can easily do a machine. I believe that is usually the rationale behind 'powerlifting' as opposed to machines and not just some esoteric bravado. The machine folks generally cannot do the reverse and no matter how sophisticated the machine it doesn't provide strength that applies to variable environments. That said i've certainly gotten into trouble by agreeing that technology and machines can in some cases be far superior. Particularly with the debates around BBS (Body by Science) and so forth. I agree its all about what actually ends up with the best results.

But yeah... the top part is just inaccurate. People don't train in those methods because they want to perfect a skill displaced from what is the most effective but because those exercises will generally work the best at cultivating strength over other types of lifts. your original definition of 'negative' certainly applies to all full range exercises but its just a fact that people can 'drop from the top' with many lifts or just not emphasize those parts of the exercises (like pulls, deadlifts) as having any importance and still make serious progress with the exercise. So I would still argue that negatives are not by default important or likely ever more important than most lifts.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 03:09:48 am by KD »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk