Author Topic: The Wodg Journal  (Read 99964 times)

Offline lex_rooker

• Trailblazer
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: The Wodg Journal
« Reply #150 on: September 11, 2010, 11:16:18 pm »
Come on share more detail.
What was your old position and what is your new job?

Yeah, come on, inquiring minds want to know……

Lex

Offline wodgina

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Opportunistic Carnivore
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: September 12, 2010, 12:59:28 pm »
Field technician in emissions testing, mainly power generation and mining processes. Moving to testing/remediation of contaminated sites.

Looking forward to the change.

I didn't think anyone even read this thing! let alone the Lex and the GS!

“Integrity has no need of rules.”

Albert Camus

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: September 12, 2010, 05:54:23 pm »
Every year a compete in a 10km off road race, beat my PB by a whopping 4 minutes! 50.11 down to 46.03min. This is not just running but rock scrambling, steep hills/descents

congratulations!!  how is your back doing?

Offline wodgina

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: September 12, 2010, 09:29:09 pm »
congratulations!!  how is your back doing?

Cured!

Went to a chiro 3 months ago and he told me I would have back pain for the rest of my life. I did the opposite of what he said to do.

Next...half ironman April 2011...really just an excuse to get a sexy new bike though

Albert Camus

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: September 12, 2010, 09:42:43 pm »

Went to a chiro 3 months ago and he told me I would have back pain for the rest of my life. I did the opposite of what he said to do.

gosh, i'm so happy for you finding your way, yet so disappointed to hear that too.. what was that he said to do?

Next...half ironman April 2011...really just an excuse to get a sexy new bike though

a great excuse i think! :), have fun with it. let me know if you need anything swimming-wise!

Offline wodgina

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: September 13, 2010, 06:34:03 pm »
gosh, i'm so happy for you finding your way, yet so disappointed to hear that too.. what was that he said to do?

a great excuse i think! :), have fun with it. let me know if you need anything swimming-wise!

He said I would have to live with and manage it, I would have to give up some sports, be careful not to inflame it, do stretches, sit up straight, come back for many years of $80 dollar half hour sessions! 

Thanks on the swimming offer, I'll swap you for surfing lessons.

Albert Camus

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: September 14, 2010, 07:15:15 am »
Thanks on the swimming offer, I'll swap you for surfing lessons.

super!  :D

Offline wodgina

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: September 24, 2010, 08:21:22 pm »
mmm supposed to go out tonight don't think I can handle pubs and waiting in lines.... house parties are so much better.

Been training hard.

After my Kayak race win on the weekend I'm pretty pumped.

Albert Camus

Offline wodgina

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: November 01, 2010, 07:33:27 am »
Summers here thank god. Don't know if I can handle another winter. There was no surf and it was a long one.

Completed a few races over the last few weeks. Every weekend is booked into the new year, still considering half iron man.

Albert Camus

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: November 01, 2010, 08:49:43 am »
awesome!

and i'm jealous  ;) , here the days are getting so short and cold

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: November 01, 2010, 10:29:07 am »
i kinda like winter :) hehe

i want some Inuit boots for the snow here,

you don't like the cold wodgina?

do you get any snow?

Offline wodgina

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: November 09, 2010, 05:21:35 pm »
Hey Sully

Nah love summer, over 30 degrees suits me with warm nights. I hate wearing shirts and shoes so in the warm I can just get round in shorts.

Never had snow here. Way to warm, it may get down to zero degrees at night once a year maybe.

Inuit boots,  you should make some or buy some Ugg boots and modify them?

Albert Camus

Offline KD

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: November 10, 2010, 01:06:10 am »
I'm always scouting thrift stores for boots/shoes I can convert. There are so few footwear they sell that are purely made of natural materials/animal hide. even alot of the 'traditional Indian moccasins' I tried to get off ebay had some rubber in them, and the only 'barefoot' type footwear on the market that doesn't have composite materials seems to be those Huarache running sandals templates that cost like 50 bucks! Not to mention wouldn't work here in the winter. There must be a way to just sew a piece or two of leather on to something that looks presentable in society. :)

Offline Cinna

• Bear Hunter
  • "dreamy/dreamer"
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: November 19, 2010, 09:25:03 pm »
Hello Wodg, I hope you are well. :)

I'm always scouting thrift stores for boots/shoes I can convert. There are so few footwear they sell that are purely made of natural materials/animal hide. even alot of the 'traditional Indian moccasins' I tried to get off ebay had some rubber in them, and the only 'barefoot' type footwear on the market that doesn't have composite materials seems to be those Huarache running sandals templates that cost like 50 bucks! Not to mention wouldn't work here in the winter. There must be a way to just sew a piece or two of leather on to something that looks presentable in society. :)

These wouldn't work in your winter, but half-soles would be interesting to try. Sometimes when I dance, I use Capezio's Half-Sole Sandasol. They are cool because your foot is still "in contact" with the floor (your toes and heels) - so it's grounding - but the ball of your foot is protected (helps with turns). http://www.dancedepot.com/Capezio-Half-Sole-Sandasol-H03.html

http://www.discountdance.com/spframe_set.php3?mf=/dancewear/style_H03X.html&camp=Froogle_H03X&utm_source=Froogle&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=H03X&utm_campaign=Spring+2009

They come in tan/black, but I believe tan is more popular b/c the point is to have a barefoot look on stage. They get dirty/darken easily from dirt/sweat and I don't know how long they would last with frequent wear, but they're relatively inexpensive and could also be a template for something you could make... They're made out of leather with a bit of stretchy elastic in the back and at the center-top.

Don't let the model dancer's posturing fool you - they're not that pretty/feminine-looking on the foot. They almost look like a real full sandal from the front. If I were trying to go "barefoot" anywhere, I would use these. Also, inevitably debris/dirt would still get "in" (just like some sandals sometimes) - so your feet will still get dirty, but at least half of your foot is protected.

Size might be an issue for bigger feet, but maybe you can play with altering it... I wear a size 6 1/2, sometimes 6 or 7, shoe and I wear size 5 half-soles. And mine fit perfectly and very comfortably. I love them, but I don't wear them all the time because I prefer to have even more protection (too many stories about dancers with bits of glass still embedded in their feet... -\  the hazards of restaurant work - broken glass/plates, broken beads, butter, shards of nutshell, et al.).

There are also Dance Paws (more expensive), but I don't know if I'd recommend them... the ones I tried on in the store were uncomfortably tight or didn't stay on/up well... But it's another option (also for a barefoot "look"). There are also things called "Foot Thongs" (covers the ball of the foot, but even less coverage and no strap in the back) but the ones I've seen, the leather padding is very thin, maybe too thin - but if you're in the store anyway, check everything out. :)

http://www.discountdance.com/spframe_set.php3?mf=/dancewear/style_DP1.html&camp=Froogle_DP1&utm_source=Froogle&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=DP1&utm_campaign=Spring+2009

I saw Capezio's half-soles on ebay for @ $10, but for a true fit (and they stretch a bit after time), I recommend going to a dance supply shop (where they sell ballet slippers, jazz shoes, etc.) and trying them on - at least figure out your size... and happy dancing! :)  (The links above also have links to reviews if you want to check out some reviews.)

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: November 29, 2010, 01:09:17 pm »
hi wodg  :)

how is your training going?  shoeless?

Offline wodgina

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: November 29, 2010, 05:23:25 pm »
Hey Ioanna.

Yeah been shoeless!

Tried out my bro's Vivo's too, there not too bad.

Done a few races mainly ocean paddling.

Also thinking about a post grad course.

Albert Camus

Offline wodgina

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: November 29, 2010, 09:19:10 pm »
Nearly summer and no hayfever now for two years in a row and no eczema.

Two things which made spring pretty crappy. I believe RPD, sun and evertime I started to think about hayfever I told my body to ignore this hayfever distraction stuff.

I want to treat my other (stubborn) symptoms, I believe these are a distraction from things I really don't want to deal with.

Albert Camus

Offline wodgina

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: December 29, 2010, 08:40:10 am »
Had Honey/orange juice glazed ham for Christmas plus some cherries as a part of my Xmas dinner. I also had turkey, prawns, oysters (yum) and drank water but it was the sugary stuff that really got me.

I paid the consequences and the next day I was so hungry for carbs I had some cashews. The next day after that stopping the carb cycle was hard. My candida flared up and I was hungry (no matter how much fat, meat, liver I ate) was anxious, couldn't think and had heart palpitations were so much I could see my heart pounding out of my chest. Felt better by midnight that day.

I'm in the clear today. I really don't think cheating is worth it even though my food on Xmas would of been considered healthy by 99.9% of the population.

Albert Camus

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: December 29, 2010, 08:47:26 am »
Hey Sully

Nah love summer, over 30 degrees suits me with warm nights. I hate wearing shirts and shoes so in the warm I can just get round in shorts.

Never had snow here. Way to warm, it may get down to zero degrees at night once a year maybe.

Inuit boots,  you should make some or buy some Ugg boots and modify them?
Yeah I got some pretty good boots. I want to modify some sneakers so they don't squish and eform my toes any further.

BTW Yeah not worth going off diet. I always wondered how our ancestors felt, after going pretty much zero carb in winter then eating fruit when it was in plenty. I know fruit helps cool the body in summer but they must have felt something or perhaps the seasonal chnagedallowed them to adapt slowly to the diffreent foods availible.

Offline wodgina

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: December 29, 2010, 09:32:46 am »
I imagine they would of been very ill after eating what I ate.

and I doubt they had candida problems like me especially growing up eating almost zero carb with lots of high meat, lot's of sunlight, excercise, not washing, being in the dirt and drinking dirty water.

Albert Camus

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #170 on: December 30, 2010, 02:34:40 am »
Had Honey/orange juice glazed ham for Christmas plus some cherries as a part of my Xmas dinner. I also had turkey, prawns, oysters (yum) and drank water but it was the sugary stuff that really got me.

I paid the consequences and the next day I was so hungry for carbs I had some cashews. The next day after that stopping the carb cycle was hard. My candida flared up and I was hungry (no matter how much fat, meat, liver I ate) was anxious, couldn't think and had heart palpitations were so much I could see my heart pounding out of my chest. Felt better by midnight that day.

I'm in the clear today. I really don't think cheating is worth it even though my food on Xmas would of been considered healthy by 99.9% of the population.

I'm sorry to hear it. I still seem to pay some consequences for indulgences myself but they don't sound nearly as bad as you still pay. :(
https://www.facebook.com/djr1981
As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness.
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline wodgina

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: January 13, 2011, 06:17:19 am »

I'm keeping it really simple at the moment. Just doing 2 excercises with a 2 minute warm up at home. OH press and dead lift 3x5. 10 minute work out. I don't know if it's muscle memory but I seem to stack on the muscle within a couple of weeks.

It would take me that long to find my wallet and keys if I had to go to a GYM.

Albert Camus

Offline KD

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: January 13, 2011, 06:26:12 am »
sounds great. At the moment i'm not set up for that and snagged on throwing some cash towards fitness. the crossfit stuff does tend to whip me alot harder than I would ever do on my own, but most of the stuff can be accomplished more or less the same when you know your body.

long term I plan on just having a little garage by a sandy beach, lift and go dancing. hehe.

Offline wodgina

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: January 13, 2011, 07:26:13 am »
sounds great. At the moment i'm not set up for that and snagged on throwing some cash towards fitness. the crossfit stuff does tend to whip me alot harder than I would ever do on my own, but most of the stuff can be accomplished more or less the same when you know your body.

long term I plan on just having a little garage by a sandy beach, lift and go dancing. hehe.

ha that is my place. Dog box on the beach.

Albert Camus

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: February 27, 2011, 10:59:31 am »
i think i found something for my dry heels!!!  it's 'adama minerals feet treat xtreme'.  just started using it, i'll get back to you in a week or so.  8)

i can't deviate either, and it drives me crazy!  :D  not that i want to cheat, but fruits.. salad.. honey..  that's all i'm asking!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk