Author Topic: Raising Livestock Yourself  (Read 32917 times)

Offline Wolf

• Chief
  • Grawr.
    • View Profile
Re: Raising Livestock Yourself
« Reply #50 on: August 22, 2010, 05:17:12 pm »
I had lately been thinking of raising my own chickens once I moved out, but this thread goes way beyond my little dream of owning myself a few chickens.

I know I had also always wanted to grow a bunch of fruit trees/bushes/plants in the backyard of my house once I owned my own, because I do so love fresh fruit.

But living on an estate with a bunch of other raw paleo dieters sounds pretty cool, too.  It'd be a lot easier and cheaper to get fresher and guaranteed natural meats.  And I wouldn't have to worry about eating in front of other people.
I don't know what I'd be able to bring to the community though, I'm not rich by any means and I don't have much talents other than being able to make a few decent doodles of stuff or other few artistic things.  I would love to become a hunter though, but I'm not very strong.  I don't know, I'd at least be interested in buying fresh meats from one of your farms, if you did happen to have one established in southern california.
Hi, I'm 32, around 5'4" and ~124lb, no real significant health problems other than hyperventilating when running/exercising (that my doc said was because of the smog/asthma), fatigue, and really bad acne.
I'd preferably be a carnivore/very low carb, but I have had a very hard time finding grass-fed or even organic fats, organs, and marrow. I consume raw dairy, but I do not eat much vegetables.. however, I do love fruit.
I live with my dad, so I also have to sneak any raw meat eating.

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 23, 2010, 12:07:38 am »
yeah relocating wild plants sounds cool, wild plum trees, black raspberries etc, maybe even sell them

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 23, 2010, 12:17:53 am »
I have the idea of eventually buying some land in a tropical or sub tropical place and starting a farm there. Some place relatively cheap and fertile. Yesterday I had the opportunity to be shown a bit of one of the farms that is part of my co op, so I got a little taste of the farming life. This December I might have the opportunity to go to my former coworkers farm in Nicaragua for a few days. I'm trying to check it out and see if it's something that I would like to do.

Unfortunately because of food economic policy around the world it's more something I would do after having made money in some other field. I don't think farming is a viable means towards making much money these days, like I said because of monetary policy.

Offline Coatue

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 23, 2010, 02:12:52 pm »
I agree...unfortunately you can't make enough money in farming. We would hope to at least break even. Raising livestock and growing certain vegetation is definitely a good idea.

It seems we're all in similar financial situations that would require jobs on the side, but I still hope we can get something together for the near future.

Offline BakeyMan

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
    • Eternal Tortoise
« Reply #54 on: September 07, 2010, 12:46:00 pm »
well if we are talking about a commune kind of situation I'm sure it can be done.  It would require a great deal of time planning it all out of course so things start smoothly.  

http://www.amazon.com/Creating-Life-Together-Ecovillages-Intentional/dp/0865714711/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1283825449&sr=8-1

according to this book 90% of communes fail because the leaders jump right into things without much forethought.  but the other 10% thrive even when the rest of society is in economic decline.  

and while farming is hardly ever a ludicrous business, a lot of small farms are doing well because they are targeting to specific markets, selling specialty items and strengthening the local community.  

http://www.amazon.com/One-Straw-Revolution-Introduction-Natural-Classics/dp/1590173139/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1283832803&sr=8-1

also here the most sustainable (unlike organic farming, which often causes plenty of environmental destruction), cheapest and easiest farming method ever made by man.  its called "do nothing" farming because nature does most of the work and the plants come out perfect.  keep in mind the author is a vegetarian, so try to ignore the  anti-meat slant.  In fact he was one of the people who inspired Frances Moore Lappe to write "Diet For A Small Planet"!  I still stand behind the man however, no matter how much havoc his words did wreak in the wrong hands.  I suppose the method would not be cheap raising livestock, as there most natural state is roaming miles upon miles of prairie land.

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 09, 2010, 02:39:07 pm »
Here's another idea... would work for those with less income

a bunch of people.
-buy a big house on the outskirts of a city with a decent amount of land

food...
-raise a few animals only for self consumption...wink cough wink errhm (lets just say brains aint illegal anymore guys, ha just kidding)
-everyone get a license and hunt in every season (deer, duck, rabbit, goose etc.)

work and money...
-everyone will prob only need a part time ordinary job

Everything will be cheap, everyone will be happy and healthy.

Can't get any simpler and cheaper than that in modern times. Anyone from any level of income can be apart of it.

I am not at all concerned about the land just being mine. Shoot, in a million years humans as whole may be gone (or the earth as it is now extinct), and one day were going to die.

So, I am just saying, I don't care about this is mine and that is mine (as far as land etc.). I just want to live simple and healthy with other people and spread the good word.

Offline majormark

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 09, 2010, 08:12:41 pm »
I think the best chance you have to make something happening quick is to run an add in your local area to all people interested in joining for a co-op.

You can tout the health benefits of organic farming, but do not mention raw paleo (until maybe later) as that could scare most people away.

Offline raw

• Mammoth Hunter
  • country chickens and lambs and wild bugs
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 11, 2010, 01:45:30 pm »
I think the best chance you have to make something happening quick is to run an add in your local area to all people interested in joining for a co-op.

You can tout the health benefits of organic farming, but do not mention raw paleo (until maybe later) as that could scare most people away.

i'm sorry to say that, Sully will live only with paleolithic people. from now through the next couple of years is a good to get a home like that. cash deal will be the best. but if all of us contributes little money from our pockets and get all these freedom, that all we want. simple life, stress free life... for me it's more important,'cause i've a child to raise.
bugs or country chickens

Offline Michael

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 15, 2010, 02:53:07 am »
All sounds good Sully.  There are plenty of communities/co-operatives doing exactly the thing you describe right now!  The only difference is the RPD aspect.  I have a wonderful community an hour drive from my home.  About 40 adults and children live in a huge country manor house (previously a monastery I believe) with somewhere in the region of 40-50 acres.  They are totally self-sufficient in fruit and veg as well as supplying quantities of meats and grains(!!) for breads etc.

The difficulty with our paleo slant would be having sufficient land for raising grass-fed animals as, i believe, the acreage required per animal is quite extensive.  It may be beyond the budget or availability of a 'big house on the outskirts of a city'.

So, I am just saying, I don't care about this is mine and that is mine (as far as land etc.). I just want to live simple and healthy with other people and spread the good word.

That's always the beautiful intention and I share it absolutely.  Sadly, such matters of ownership and finances do indeed become roots of general discontent as other issues and disagreements arise at such communities in my experience.  The reality is that the most successful set-ups seem to be the ones which have it all worked out and written down from the beginning and move way beyond the 'love and peace' mindset.

1. When offered something that is too good to be true. It is.
2. Greed and fear are poor states of mind in which to make decisions; like shopping at the supermarket when you are hungry.
3. Exponential growth is mathematically unsustainable.

Offline raw

• Mammoth Hunter
  • country chickens and lambs and wild bugs
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 15, 2010, 04:33:18 am »
I agree...unfortunately you can't make enough money in farming. We would hope to at least break even. Raising livestock and growing certain vegetation is definitely a good idea.

It seems we're all in similar financial situations that would require jobs on the side, but I still hope we can get something together for the near future.
hi, i live in nothern nj too. i'm also interested for paleo farming buying up something in upstate ny. i can't afford by my own to do this alone. so, if we get enough people, that will do the job. i own a home in upstate ny, where rawzi and djr want to meet me over there. in the future sometimes, i wish you can join with us there too. we can also search some farming properties together. thanks.
bugs or country chickens

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: March 05, 2011, 09:55:34 pm »
this is definitely the same thing i am working on myself, its inspiring to see you are thinking the same Sully, and to hear of everyones ideas and experiences:)

i have worked on a few farms and just got off one last week..ill be headed out to another next month for the season.  although these are for profit and mostly produce farms(they are for farmers markets and Community supported agriculture) the only way to learn about farming, ranching, and living sustainable is to actually do it.  I would suggest finding a farm through ATTRA internships, looking up ranches in  your area on eatwild.org and inquiring about jobs etc...as well as finding legit communities that focus on sustainability, permaculture and even biodynamic and french intensive practices and farming(and learning as much about these areas in regards to farming and ranching on your own!)....there are a lot of farms dedicated to conservation, and sustainability where you can learn how to live with the land and animals in a mutually beneficial relationship...many quaker farms use native forage for their herds, however the seeds for this grass is rediculously expensive and as michael said earlier, it does require a LOT of acerage to feed herds and unless you have a trust its almost impossible without harming your land, i would suggest also thinking about rehabilitating already pastured land with cover crops(a lot of them are native), the poo from your animals and time as well as learning to hunt... 

there are soo many more factors that go into determining the right location, herds, crops, what each individuals idea of sustainability is, its pretty much becomes one life to gain the knowledge and experience and a commitment to hard work to create something that is actually successful, it requires a lot of sacrifice...that said, there is no more fulfilling work of life that to actually be growing and maintaining your own on the most basic of levels.......i love the ideas of more and more communities growing and gaining support and knowledge from each other...its a nice enough dream for me that some day everyone could walk a few miles down the path and trade knowledge and meat! with my neighbor ...i have had this opportunity here in this lifetime and feel really blessed and happy to think its possible

Offline zeno

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 10, 2011, 11:20:06 am »
Just to revive this thread:

Before I began a RAF diet, I was determined to farm in Japan in a simple traditional style. I have spent time farming in Japan and would love to return to farm. I initially wanted to create a homestead, raising vegetables and grains and also raising animals for food and manure as a way to create a closed nutrient loop.

I am still very interested in farming, but now I feel my goals have slightly changed; now I would like to create a similar homestead but place more emphasis on raising a greater variety of animals in an area where hunting is also possible. I don't think I can do this in Japan (although fishing becomes a great trade off).

I may be forced to make a difficult decision, but I'm certain that I want to include raw animal foods into my diet permanently and if people are talking about creating a cooperative farm that is RAF friendly here in American, I would support it.

Is this a pipe dream or is there a possibility?

I may have to change my near future plans, as I planned to leave for Japan in the autumn. Maybe I'll go and come back (any experience is valuable in farming) to use my experience towards establishing this RAF community.

CitrusHigh

« Reply #62 on: May 10, 2011, 11:29:55 am »
I could use some help here on our farm. I'm working towards permascaping it. We have 3 heritage all grass fed milk cows, more on the way. Free range goats and chickens and a host of other birds. We've got the land but not enough time in the day to produce to our potential. You could focus on whatever animals you want, we have the space you would just have to make sure they are raised according to their genetic diet. We also have a spare room. If you, or anyone reading this is interested private message me for more details and discussion. The farm is located in stockholm, WI, which is right up against the mississippi in western wisconsin. Breathtakingly beautiful area, nice folk and plenty outdoor stuff to do! Most of our land has been resting for many years except for the last year of intensively managed grazing by yours truly. Thanks!

Offline zeno

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 10, 2011, 11:48:41 am »
I'm curious, are you also open to a cooperative of some sort which is RAF friendly?

I noticed that on Slanker's website the RAF diet is promoted.

http://www.texasgrassfedbeef.com/the_real_diet_of_man.htm

CitrusHigh

« Reply #64 on: May 10, 2011, 11:59:39 am »
Absolutely, I'm open to anything, but I'm fast learning how important community is and I want to build it while rebuilding the soil and producing nutrient dense, real food, efficiently and in congruence with the laws of nature.

Offline zeno

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 10, 2011, 09:13:35 pm »
This is too good to be true!

What do you say we all pool together and begin planning something? This could be big and well worth it!

How exciting!  :D

Offline RAW12

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 01, 2011, 08:25:37 am »
My friend Forerunner on this site (homesteading today) welcomes people to come stay with him! He can teach everyone LOTS and LOTS and LOTS. He is off grid and loves to teach everyone to live this lifestyle.

I have been learning a LOT from visiting his farm. I raise rabbits, cows (both beef and dairy), chickens, goats (both beef and dairy), pigs, turkeys, and some peacocks. We eat about all of our own meat and grow our own garden as well.

We are in IL.

Offline RAW12

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 01, 2011, 08:28:26 am »
I forgot to add his link on EXTREME composting! :) Well, everything about him is EXTREME, LOL!
http://www.homesteadingtoday.com/showthread.php?t=342651

Offline svrn

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 08, 2013, 08:18:45 am »
Tthats my dream too but with one exception.

I dont want to be in a community that lives together on a farm owned by one person.

Rather than that I want to have my own farm with my own land and be surrounded by other likeminded people with their own land as well. I dont like the idea of communal living but as far as if I were to do that, it would have to be with other raw animal eaters because what I find is that people start to hate you for being different especially with food which people get very emotional about.

an alliance of people like us all on our properties in the same area would be best in my opinion.
Sharing is just not an optimal situation in my opinion.

If people do this thuogh I would definitly buy some property adjecent to everyone else.
-----------

Offline RogueFarmer

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 08, 2013, 09:12:18 am »

Offline svrn

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 08, 2013, 11:39:38 pm »
beautiful cows